Thursday, January 15, 2015 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

dhkendall
Pursuing the Dream

Re: Thursday, January 15, 2015 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

Post by dhkendall » Fri Jan 16, 2015 10:41 am

Blue Lion wrote:
Winchell Factor wrote:At the moment, at least, he's #1 in the ToC standings.
Thanks!

Jenn McKee, the entertainment reporter who covers Jeopardy for MLive.com (formerly The Ann Arbor News), suggested tongue-in-cheek that Sony Pictures move the competition to Ann Arbor because of the number of contestants from the area.
Hold on, they have a dedicated Jeopardy! beat reporter?
"Jeopardy! is two parts luck and one part luck" - Me

"The way to win on Jeopardy is to be a rabidly curious, information-omnivorous person your entire life." - Ken Jennings

Follow my progress game by game since 2012

mrsal67
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by mrsal67 » Fri Jan 16, 2015 11:05 am

goatman wrote:

Odyssey more core clues with gets on all: Argus of 100 eyes > 'panoptes'; 'all-seeing' applied to Helios the Sun >> Ausos >Eos> 'Dawn' Eos was also asked as Greek letters recently (siblings = Helios, the Sun and Selene, the Moon);

Try again with the Argus clue. It was referring to Oysseus' dog who is usually referred to as Argos although they did spell it Argus.
The Argus you are referring to did have 100 eyes, which according to legend were placed by Hera on the tail of the peacock.

georgespelvin
The Charlie Brown of Jeopardy Auditions

Post by georgespelvin » Fri Jan 16, 2015 11:42 am

I suspect that John was more flummoxed on the J round categories than the DJ round categories. At least it seemed that way (although it might be that I also had a lot of trouble with them). His two competitors were really sharp though (perhaps this game should be sent to that Slate writer).

Should Amanda have wagered $3600 on her last DD to clinch the lead going into FJ on a correct response?

My wife got FJ before I did only because I immediately started fixating at the 1606 part of the clue. When I think of the Dutch East India Company, I think of the 1700s and 1800s. However, my wife almost immediately said "East India Company" which whiplashed me back to the Amsterdam part and I corrected her to say that it's the "Dutch East India Company". ;) I probably would have gotten it without the help within the 30 seconds (once I got back to the Amsterdam part), but we'll never know. I wonder what instructions were given before FJ. As someone noted earlier here, you can't get a BMS in FJ and I wonder if just "What is the East India Company" would have been accepted.

I agree that the "Ring My Bell"/"String My Bow" connection, uh, missed the target. I wasn't very familiar with "The Odyssey" (yes, my fault I fear) and wouldn't have gotten it anyway, but the clue just burned out my computer banks thinking WTF?
I used to be AWSOP but wanted to be more theatrical.

TenPoundHammer
Otters are meant to swim

Post by TenPoundHammer » Fri Jan 16, 2015 1:06 pm

Bamaman wrote:TPH......Did you get Babe Ruth?
Yes. I've gotten almost all of the recent Babe Ruth clues.
Bamaman wrote:Apologies to Tigershark, but I won't complain if they don't have anymore Broadway show plugs disguised as a category.
I can never find it in me to complain about a category if I run it.
Ten Pound Hammer

This space for rent

countyguy
Vacuously Undefeated on J!

Post by countyguy » Fri Jan 16, 2015 1:42 pm

Judges: would "tide pool" be acceptable for "lagoon" in DOUBLE "O" $1000?

After that:
On the Babe Ruth question, I misunderstood the category and tried to think "What famous baseball player is named Homer?" I could not come up with one. I got Maris, but that's the only one for the baseball category. I have heard of Ted Williams, but going into that clue couldn't tell you a thing about him other than he was some sort of mid-20th century baseball legend.

Got both Southwest and JetBlue on the type of WAG where maybe it would have been more beneficial to stay clam, but it worked out twice.

I ran the "It Borders Spain" category. I knew where the Balearic Islands were thanks to the TD that I hosted, so I did not have to worry about that Mediterranean/Atlantic coin flip. As we all tell TPH, it helps to know stuff, although I have tons of holes in my knowledge.

I didn't do as well as I thought I would in the First Lady category. I was pretty stupid in missing the Reagan reference. I missed said clue, and when Alex said the thing about Patricia, I was wondering if it had to do with it being Pat Nixon until the correct response was revealed. I did not put the two and two together with the interview until I saw it on this board.

The Aladdin category was one where my ten-year-old sister, and probably most of my classmates, would run all over me.

I got FJ.

Bob78164
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by Bob78164 » Fri Jan 16, 2015 2:55 pm

This game is a draw for the Strong Form of Shore's Conjecture. The second-place player bet "small." --Bob

grindcore
Some Guy

Post by grindcore » Fri Jan 16, 2015 3:47 pm

Just now finished watching this.

John - well done, take the money and run and we'll see you at the ToC.

Excellent game by Patricia and Amanda.

I did poorly in the J! round and pretty well in DJ!

Instagettish FJ, I just had to focus to get the wording right (Dutch? Royal Dutch? West? East? Indies? India? Company? Corporation?)

alietr
Site Admin

Post by alietr » Fri Jan 16, 2015 4:01 pm

They really shouldn't have accepted anything other than Vereenigde Oostindische Compagnie.

And reading the Wiki on it made it clear why the certificate is worth that much -- it was the first company to issue stock.

georgespelvin
The Charlie Brown of Jeopardy Auditions

Post by georgespelvin » Fri Jan 16, 2015 4:18 pm

I'm surprised that no one here mentioned Patricia's wager of $400 instead of $399. Now that ties are impossible and tie breaker questions are used, it would seem that wagering $399 would give a higher probability of winning than wagering $400 and being subjected to a tie breaker question (let alone one against a five time champion).
I used to be AWSOP but wanted to be more theatrical.

Category 13
Wagering Viking

Post by Category 13 » Fri Jan 16, 2015 4:40 pm

MarkBarrett wrote: No buzz on four homers? Okay, new champ tomorrow. Maris on a rebound does not negate that one.
I actually guessed 5 for that clue. :oops: I used to be an avid follower of baseball and a stat nerd from the late sixties through about 1991. Then my interest started to wain. (sp) After the 1994 World Series was cancelled when my Cleveland Indians were likely to have been in that series, I really stopped paying much attention to baseball except for the yearly World Series. I figured in the era of the 'juiced up' ball and what not, it wasn't out of the realm of possibility for 5 HR games.

Woof
Swimming in the Jeopardy! Pool

Post by Woof » Fri Jan 16, 2015 5:01 pm

alietr wrote:They really shouldn't have accepted anything other than Vereenigde Oostindische Compagnie.

And reading the Wiki on it made it clear why the certificate is worth that much -- it was the first company to issue stock.
That is discussed in some detail in Neal Stephenson's quite entertaining "Baroque Cycle" (Quicksilver, The Confusion, A System of the World)

This Is Kirk!
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by This Is Kirk! » Fri Jan 16, 2015 5:30 pm

countyguy wrote:Judges: would "tide pool" be acceptable for "lagoon" in DOUBLE "O" $1000?
No, I don't think so. I tide pool is simply a pool of water left isolated when the tide retreats. Dunes certainly don't need to be involved. A lagoon isn't tide dependent.

grindcore
Some Guy

Post by grindcore » Fri Jan 16, 2015 5:49 pm

Oh also I guessed 3 for the home runs clue. I figure if it's happened sixteen times, that's more or less once every six or seven years, which seems too frequent for a four-homer game which seems impossible. Three homers seems pretty herculean already, and when someone's hit three homers already, wouldn't you just intentionally walk him? Four homers, jeez.

cosmos
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by cosmos » Fri Jan 16, 2015 6:01 pm

What's the pitching record for most strikeouts in an inning?

Onairb
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by Onairb » Fri Jan 16, 2015 6:02 pm

Once again, Alex should have clarified what 'Homer' was about.
I wish the non-baseball types on the show, instead of being all stereotypically 'EEEEWWW', would pick those categories first, and get them out of the way..so that I could run them, instead of waiting for them to finish all the 'dead white guy' stuff.

Winchell Factor
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by Winchell Factor » Fri Jan 16, 2015 6:10 pm

cosmos wrote:What's the pitching record for most strikeouts in an inning?
I don't actually know this one, but it seems like a trick question, so I'm going with 4.

grindcore
Some Guy

Post by grindcore » Fri Jan 16, 2015 6:15 pm

Winchell Factor wrote:
I don't actually know this one, but it seems like a trick question, so I'm going with 4.
Yeah, a pitcher is credited with a strikeout if the catcher drops strike three, so the batter can still get on base, so there's no limit to how many strikeouts a pitcher can get in an inning. (I think)

econgator
Let's Go Mets!

Post by econgator » Fri Jan 16, 2015 6:44 pm

grindcore wrote:
Winchell Factor wrote:
Yeah, a pitcher is credited with a strikeout if the catcher drops strike three, so the batter can still get on base, so there's no limit to how many strikeouts a pitcher can get in an inning. (I think)
4 is the record (and yes, there is no actual limit on the number you could strike out in an inning).

alietr
Site Admin

Post by alietr » Fri Jan 16, 2015 6:46 pm

4 strikeouts in an inning has been accomplished 72 times over the years.

econgator
Let's Go Mets!

Post by econgator » Fri Jan 16, 2015 6:50 pm

grindcore wrote:Oh also I guessed 3 for the home runs clue. I figure if it's happened sixteen times, that's more or less once every six or seven years, which seems too frequent for a four-homer game which seems impossible. Three homers seems pretty herculean already, and when someone's hit three homers already, wouldn't you just intentionally walk him? Four homers, jeez.
My favorite record is two grand slams in the same inning, which was done by .........?