Monday, January 19, 2015 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

Archivists
Fan-created archive of games and players

Monday, January 19, 2015 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

Post by Archivists »

Game Recap for Show #6986, 2015-01-19

CONTESTANTS
Tim Lane, a financial services executive from Montvale, New Jersey
Leah Turpin, a senior manager of call center operations from Villa Park, Illinois
Nicholas Bérubé, an architect originally from State College, Pennsylvania (whose 1-day cash winnings total $6,800)

OPENING REMARKS
Alex: Thank you, Johnny Gilbert. Ladies and gentlemen, thank you so much for joining us today. A lot of great clues waiting to be revealed, so, Tim, Leah, welcome aboard. Nicholas, good to have you back with us. Let's go to work in the first round, the Jeopardy! Round. And we start you off dealing with these categories...

JEOPARDY! ROUND CATEGORIES
LABOR (5/5)
& THE EMMY GOES TO... (5/5)
THE SPANISH-AMERICAN WAR (4/5)
LITTLE WEASLES (3/5, including 1 correct Daily Double)
ATTA BOY, TOM! (5/5)
VO"CH"ABULARY (4/5) (Alex: The "C-H" will not have a "C-H" sound in each correct response, but a "C" or "K" sound.)

THE RIGHTS & THE WRONGS
Nicholas: 13 R, 0 W
Tim: 7 R (including 1 rebound), 1 W
Leah: 6 R (including 1 DD), 1 W

Clues revealed: 30
Triple Stumpers: 4
Jeopardy! Round Potential Lach Trash: $2,600

SCORES AT THE FIRST BREAK
Tim: $3,600
Nicholas: $3,400
Leah: $0

CONTESTANT INTERVIEWS

Alex: We're gonna talk about weddings. Tim Lane. In your case, we'll talk about your 25th anniversary. Your and your wife did something special.

Tim: yeah. My wife Rosaleen and I took a great cruise to Norway and cruised up along the coast and saw the ar--uh, the--the--the, uh, Arctic lights.

Alex: Hey, that's cool.

Alex: All right, Leah Turpin from Villa Park, Illinois. A week after you got married, something special happened.

Leah: [Laughs] Yes, my husband Bruce proposed to me.

Alex: Huh?

[Leah laughs.]

Alex: 'xplain that.

Leah: We had to get married quickly for reasons, and, uh...

[Laughter]

Leah: ...we didn't have a chance to do things like get an engagement ring or have a proposal. So about a week after we were married in the city courthouse, um, I was at the refrigerator, and he dropped to one knee and handed me an engagement ring.

Alex: That's wonderful.

Leah: And I said yes, because I was already locked in, so...

[Laughter]

Alex: [Laughing] The stories we hear on Jeopardy!--amazing.

Alex: All right, Nicholas Bérubé is an architect. He's our champion, and... you once attended a friend's wedding and did a great deal of traveling to get there?

Nicholas: Yeah, I lived in, uh, Connecticut, and my friend was getting married in Sacramento. And I had pretty much, you know, never seen anything west of the Mississippi, so I took a couple of my college friends and we drove all the way from Connecticut, through St. Louis, through--we saw the Grand Canyon--uh, down to Los Angeles, and drove up Route 1, uh, to Sacramento, and then drove back. It was an 8,000-mile trip, and it was amazing.

Alex: Good.

JEOPARDY! ROUND DAILY DOUBLE
Leah found the Daily Double on the 20th clue. Nicholas had $3,400, Leah had $1,000, and Tim was at $3,000. Leah made it a True Daily Double, wagering $1,000.

LITTLE WEASLES $1000: As its name indicates, this member of the weasel family has the same favorite food as Winnie-the-Pooh

TRIPLE STUMPERS IN THE JEOPARDY! ROUND
VO"CH"ABULARY $600: Abraham's burial chamber is said to be in the West Bank city of Hebron in the "Cave of" these Biblical leaders

LITTLE WEASLES $400: The wolverine is a member of the weasel family & is also known by this name that means "overeater"

LITTLE WEASLES $600: Also known as the striped weasel, the zorilla of this continent feeds at night on insects & small rodents
(Tim: What is the meerkat?)

THE SPANISH-AMERICAN WAR $1000: During the Battle of Manilla Bay, this captain of the Olympia was told by Dewey to fire "when you are ready"

SCORES AT THE END OF THE JEOPARDY! ROUND
Nicholas: $7,600
Tim: $3,800
Leah: $2,800
Archivists
Fan-created archive of games and players

Re: Monday, January 19, 2015 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

Post by Archivists »

DOUBLE JEOPARDY! ROUND CATEGORIES
FRENCH CITIES & TOWNS (4/5)
THE TRANSPORTER (5/5)
SAME FIRST & LAST LETTER (5/5, including 1 correct Daily Double)
TOP 30 TO 40 HITS (5/5) (Alex: ...on the Billboard pop chart.)
POWER BOOKS (5/5, including 1 correct Daily Double)
ANAGRAMMED CURRENT WORLD LEADERS (5/5)

THE RIGHTS & THE WRONGS
Nicholas: 13 R, 0 W
Leah: 8 R (including 2 DDs), 0 W
Tim: 8 R, 0 W

Clues revealed: 30
Triple Stumpers: 1
Double Jeopardy! Round Potential Lach Trash: $2,000

FIRST DOUBLE JEOPARDY! ROUND DAILY DOUBLE
Leah snagged the next Daily Double on the 12th clue. Nicholas had $12,000, Leah had $5,200, and Tim was at $6,200. Leah wagered $1,200.

SAME FIRST & LAST LETTER $2000: Temporary cessation of breathing; asphyxia is when it's not so temporary

SECOND DOUBLE JEOPARDY! ROUND DAILY DOUBLE
It was Leah who snatched up the last Daily Double of the game on the 29th clue. Nicholas had $20,800, Leah had $11,600, and Tim was at $11,400. Leah wagered $600.

POWER BOOKS $1600: Published in 1513, it was dedicated "to the magnificent Lorenzo di Piero de' Medici"

TRIPLE STUMPERS IN THE DOUBLE JEOPARDY! ROUND
FRENCH CITIES & TOWNS $2000: This city at the juncture of the Rhone & Saone Rivers is famous for its cooked dishes prepared with onions
(Alex: Dishes a la lyonnaise, for the city of [*].)

SCORES ENTERING FINAL JEOPARDY!
Nicholas: $20,800
Leah: $14,200
Tim: $11,400

FINAL JEOPARDY! CATEGORY
BRITISH BUSINESS NAMES

VENUSIAN MONOLOGUES/MARTIAN CHRONICLES
Two-thirds for first place. Stratton's Dilemma.
Nicholas: Wager $7,601 to cover Leah.
Leah: You ought to wager to cover Tim, but since you cannot win on a Triple Stumper if you do so, you should choose between wagering $0 and maximizing your winnings by betting all $14,200. You are in Stratton's Dilemma, calling for a wager of more than $8,600 (to shut out Tim) or less than $1,000 (risking the possibility of being passed from behind by Tim). Go with the smaller bet if you believe a Triple Stumper is more likely than a singleton miss by Nicholas.
Tim: Considering that you're going to lose on a Triple Stumper by at least $1,800, you need to bet either $2,801, and play for a win if Leah tries to two-thirds Nicholas, or bet at least $9,401 to cover Nicholas's $0 bet (though, from this position, a wager of all $11,400 is acceptable and perhaps preferred).

FINAL JEOPARDY! CLUE
Still around, these 2 rival companies began with a 1744 sale of "scarce & valuable books" & a 1766 sale of chamber pots

FINAL SCORES
Tim: $11,400 - $11,300 = $100 (What are Harrods & Selfridges) (3rd place)
Leah: $14,200 - $4,200 = $10,000 (What are Lloyds ofLondon & Sothebys) (2nd place)
Nicholas: $20,800 - $8,000 = $12,800 (What Barnes + Noble Border) (6801-day champion: $12,800)
(Alex: [To Nicholas] No, no, no. You have to think of the auction houses of [*].)

Total Potential Lach Trash: $4,600

GAME DYNAMICS

CORYAT SCORES
Nicholas: $20,800, 26 R, 0 W
Leah: $16,000, 14 R (including 3 DDs), 1 W
Tim: $11,400, 15 R, 1 W
Combined Coryat: $48,200

BATTING AVERAGES
Nicholas: 26/58 = .448
Tim: 15/58 = .259
Leah: 14/61 = .230
Team: 55/63 = .873

MISCELLANEOUS INTERESTING CLUES
VO"CH"ABULARY $800: Far out, man--this word from Greek for "soul made visible" describes the artwork seen here

LABOR $600: To protest job conditions, these public servants may threaten an outbreak of "blue flu"
(Leah: What are transit workers?)

LITTLE WEASLES $200: The black-footed species of this weasel of the Great Plains feeds on prairie dogs

& THE EMMY GOES TO... $1000: this supporting actor in a comedy in 2008

FRENCH CITIES & TOWNS $1200: (Sarah of the Clue Crew shows a map on the monitor.) After France surrendered to the Nazis in June 1940, the country was divided into a German-occupied area & an unoccupied zone with an administrative center in this spa town, by whose name the region would be known

THE TRANSPORTER $1200: On July 20, 1969 the world held its breath as 2 guys finally found a parking spot for this transport at 4:17 P.M. EDT
(Alex: [*] on the Moon.)

THE TRANSPORTER $2000: From one of the materials visible, it's the word for classic cars like the one seen here

CORRECT RESPONSES
a honey badger
the Patriarchs
the glutton
Africa
Charles Gridley
apnea
The Prince
Lyon
Christie's & Sotheby's
psychedelic
the police
a ferret
Jeremy Piven
Vichy
the Eagle
a woody
jeff6286
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by jeff6286 »

British Business Names
Still around, these 2 rival companies began with a 1744 sale of "Scarce & Valuable Books" & a 1766 sale of chamber pots.

Spoiler
What are Sotheby's and Christie''s? Tim said Harrod's & (he says he was going for) Selfridges; Leah said Lloyds & Sothebys; Nicholas said Barnes & Noble and (it looked like he was going for) Borders.

Nicholas Berube: $20,800-$8,000=$12,800...now a 2-day champion with $19,600
Leah Turpin: $14,200-$4,200=$10,000
Tim Lane: $11,400-$11,300=$100
Last edited by jeff6286 on Mon Jan 19, 2015 11:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.
alan tiger
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by alan tiger »

i've posted a new note about paucle in the thread about him.
dhkendall
Pursuing the Dream

Post by dhkendall »

Knew exactly what they were going for in Final, got "Sotheby's" before the music started, but spent the rest of it trying to get the other name (closest I got was remembering that it began with a C, possibly a Ch.) Put "What are Sotheby's and eBay?" for something to put down.

Liked the contestant in the middle's story, offbeat and a change from the "how you got engaged" story, was rooting for her after that. (Well, that and because the end guy seemed to really have some brain farts, especially where he gave an animal's name instead of a continent, I don't see any way how he'd think the question would ask for an animal's name in there.)
"Jeopardy! is two parts luck and one part luck" - Me

"The way to win on Jeopardy is to be a rabidly curious, information-omnivorous person your entire life." - Ken Jennings

Follow my progress game by game since 2012
cosmos

Post by cosmos »

When Leah was pondering her FJ wager, she must have considered $200, $1200, $2200 and $3200 before apparently concluding that $4200 would give her the ideal round number of $10000 in case she got it wrong. She had three DDs correct, and then the last second $2000 clue that forced Nicholas to wager enough to finish below her score if he got it wrong.
Last edited by cosmos on Mon Jan 19, 2015 6:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.
floridagator

Post by floridagator »

I got FJ within a few seconds. Leah needed to do better on her betting. Just when Leah started to catch fire to the end, I was thinking, uh oh, she's going to keep the 3rd contestant from getting within 50% of the champion. Is there a name for that situation? There ought to be. But it didn't happen today.
I'd rather cuddle then have sex. If you're into grammar, you'll understand.
cf1140
Not Jeopardy! Material

Post by cf1140 »

Time for a red wager Keith. Instaget FJ
econgator
Let's Go Mets!

Post by econgator »

dhkendall wrote:Knew exactly what they were going for in Final, got "Sotheby's" before the music started, but spent the rest of it trying to get the other name (closest I got was remembering that it began with a C, possibly a Ch.)
That's one of the few clues where I will start pre-calling. There aren't too many British companies I can come up with, so I had; Lloyd's, Sotheby's, Christie's, Harrods, and Selfrifdges. The 1700's eliminated the department stores, so that made it pretty easy.
corvo
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by corvo »

Ugh, those wagers from Leah . . .
Golf
Wet Paper Bag Charmer

Post by Golf »

Ouch. Don't think a worse wager from 2nd is possible. Not enough to cover a 3rd double up, too much to win on a TS. Only way possible to win is WRW.

Am thinking Packers coach Mike McCarthy is Leah's strategic hero. :o
Last edited by Golf on Mon Jan 19, 2015 7:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.
xxaaaxx

Post by xxaaaxx »

Yes I know bet small if you aren't confident blah blah blah, but watching all 3 DDs go up in smoke was painful. Almost as painful as her FJ wager.

FJ took about 26 seconds. Still not sure what caused my brain to switch from the retail dead end to auctions, other than luck. Could I have written out the answer on stage? Sure ;)
Abraxas

Post by Abraxas »

All three players did well up until FJ. Congratulations to Nicholas on his second win. I had 35 correct responses including three triple stumpers: patriarchs, glutton, and Africa. I got FJ instantly, and I had it written down 5 seconds into the think music.
Leander

Post by Leander »

corvo wrote:Ugh, those wagers from Leah . . .
Yeah, she needed to be more confident, especially in that last DD, in what I thought was a pretty easy category.

Instaget FJ for me.
grindcore
Some Guy

Post by grindcore »

So-so first round, but I tore DJ! a new one. I used to live in France but I got them all but Lyon, I've never heard of à la lyonnaise. Although I should have gotten it based on the Rhone name-drop.

I said "dud" instead of "gelding", and I'm counting it as correct. lalalalalalala i can't hear you.

I almost ran top 30-40, but said James Blunt instead of John Mayer. I knew it was one of those boring dudes that plays insurance commercial music.

Anagrammed world leaders was easy as pie but I had a brain fart and didn't say "David Cameron", i just saw the anagram and for some reason I didn't see it so I just hesitated for a second.

Half-instaget FJ, I got sotheby's right away but was barking up the wrong tree for the other name, I was thinking it started with a W. Shame, shame.
evanakm
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by evanakm »

Did anyone else say The Northwest Company and Hudson's Bay Company? Or is my Canadian showing?
mxc_takeshi

Post by mxc_takeshi »

42 right.

Labor- 4; Emmy- 5; Spanish- 3; Weasel- 3; Tom- 2; Ch- 2
French- 3; Trans- 3; F-L- 4; 30/40- 4; Book- 4; Leader- 5

Lach Trash: "Africa"

I was on the right track, but I had Sotheby's and Lloyd's as well. Good game.
Dudd
Valued Contributor

Post by Dudd »

Count me in the instantly came up with Southeby's camp, spent the remaining 30 seconds trying in vain to come up with the other auction house
mungar
Valued Contributor

Post by mungar »

evanakm wrote:Did anyone else say The Northwest Company and Hudson's Bay Company? Or is my Canadian showing?
Considered HBC, but I remember when they had their 325th anniversary, which ruled them out. That being said, I still got FJ wrong.
zakharov

Post by zakharov »

I was the opposite - I got Chrystie's but forgot Sotheby's. Poll question?

I am no wagering viking but I had to pause my DVR to collect myself after that last DD wager.
4-time pool swimmer - last audition June 2019
Follow me on Twitter @JakeMHS