Thursday, January 22, 2015 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

Archivists
Fan-created archive of games and players

Thursday, January 22, 2015 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

Post by Archivists »

Game Recap for Show #6989, 2015-01-22

CONTESTANTS
Todd Coleman, a physics professor from River Falls, Wisconsin
Maggie Schreiter, an artist and stay-at-home mom from Ewing, New Jersey
Will Anderson, a senior legislative aide originally from Atlanta, Georgia (whose 1-day cash winnings total $19,600)

OPENING REMARKS
Alex: Thank you, Johnny Gilbert. Hello, my friends, and welcome to our program. We're delighted to have you with us for this half hour in which you get to... put your intellectual skills up against those of our three players. The two challengers, Todd and Maggie, and, of course, our returning champion, Will. Let's see, uh, who does best in this half hour. The Jeopardy! Round comes first, and here are the categories, starting off with...

JEOPARDY! ROUND CATEGORIES
THE BIG PICTURE (4/5)
SPORTS SHORTS 2014 (2/2)
JUST FOR THE ELEPHANT (4/5)
ALL THINGS CONSIDERED (3/5)
NATIONAL PUBLIC RADIO (4/5, including 1 missed Daily Double)
THIS IS N-P-R (1/4) (Alex: And each correct response will contain those letters in that order.)

THE RIGHTS & THE WRONGS
Maggie: 7 R, 0 W
Todd: 6 R (including 1 rebound), 1 W (including 1 DD)
Will: 5 R, 4 W

Clues revealed: 26
Triple Stumpers: 7
Jeopardy! Round Potential Lach Trash: $5,600

SCORES AT THE FIRST BREAK
Maggie: $1,400
Todd: $1,200
Will: -$800

CONTESTANT INTERVIEWS

Alex: Dealing with children or dealing with students, if you're a teacher, can be particularly difficult even if they are young. Now, Todd Coleman, you had a 5-year-old daughter who asked you a question and you gave her a response. And she said she wasn't buying it.

Todd: Anika was not happy with the answer.

Alex: What did she say?

Todd: She said, "Bring me a scientist."

Alex: Well, wait a minute.

Todd: And I said, "Honey, I--I am a scientist." She said, "Bring me a smarter scientist!"

[Laughter]

Alex: Right, and did you give her the correct response?

Todd: No. [Laughs]

Alex: Oh. [Laughs]

Alex: Maggie Schreiter from Ewing, New Jersey. A stay-at-home mom and a fiber artist. I don't know what a fiber artist is exactly.

Maggie: Uh, we make art out of, uh, fabrics, mostly, uh, yarn and stuff. I dye my own fabrics and I use my sewing machine as a drawing tool, like, embroidery.

Alex: Do you trace it by pencil or chalk on fabric first and then--

Maggie: Sometimes I draw it first, but sometimes I freehand it, yeah.

Alex: Yeah? Good for you.

Alex: Will Anderson is our champion. A senior legislative aide and a bike rider.

Will: Uh, I try to, yeah.

Alex: Yeah, and you've ridden in some pretty special events?

Will: Sure--well, um, I like long-distance cycling. So, I like, uh, century rides, which are 100-mile rides. I, uh, did one in the Shenandoah Valley outside of D.C. where I work, so, um...

Alex: A lot of hills.

Will: A lot of hills going, you know, up the mountains and down the valleys, down to the river and up. But, um, my bike got stolen, so I'm hoping that with, uh, any sort of winnings I might be able to replace it, so...

Alex: Well, wait a minute, so far, you've won, what? $19,000?

Will: That's a pretty good bike right there.

Alex: That's a pretty good bike. Thank you very much. Yes, indeed. I'll--I've got one in my garage which I'll sell you for a lot less than that.

JEOPARDY! ROUND DAILY DOUBLE
Todd found the Daily Double on the 16th clue. Will was in the hole with -$800, Maggie had $1,400, and Todd was at $1,200. Todd made it a True Daily Double, wagering $1,200.

NATIONAL PUBLIC RADIO $800: Steve Inskeep and David Greene host this show in the A.M. in D.C.; Renee Montagne, not far from us here in Culver City
(Todd: What is Marketplace?)

TRIPLE STUMPERS IN THE JEOPARDY! ROUND
THE BIG PICTURE $1000: This 17th century work originally 13x16 feet has been cut down to a much more manageable 12x15
(Alex: And that is the famous [*].)

THIS IS N-P-R $400: Boldness in undertaking, or how Jim Kirk boldly got around
(Will: What is...?)
(Alex: Oh, too much time.)

THIS IS N-P-R $600: Your digit-al I.D.
(Will: What is your print?)
(Alex: Will, you're on the right track. What is your [*]? Had to have N-P-R in that order.)

THIS IS N-P-R $800: It's an oil-resistant synthetic rubber used as a coating

JUST FOR THE ELEPHANT $1000: Hey, partner, it's the canopied seat in which you ride on an elephant
(Will: What's the saddle?)

ALL THINGS CONSIDERED $800: In the Bible, Satan tells the Lord, "touch his bone and his flesh, and he will curse thee to thy face"

ALL THINGS CONSIDERED $1000: Quaff this drink, 2 oz. gin &1/2 oz. triple sec, & try to sail around the Cape of Good Hope on the ghost ship of the same name

SCORES AT THE END OF THE JEOPARDY! ROUND
Maggie: $4,000
Todd: $1,400
Will: -$1,000

Archivists
Fan-created archive of games and players

Re: Thursday, January 22, 2015 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

Post by Archivists »

DOUBLE JEOPARDY! ROUND CATEGORIES
SPECIAL ED (4/5)
COUNTRIES SMALLER THAN PUERTO RICO (3/5)
NOVELS WRITTEN FAST (5/5, including 1 correct Daily Double)
SUN RECORDS ARTISTS (2/3)
ANCIENT GREECE (3/5, including 1 missed Daily Double)
IN THE ATMOSPHERE (3/5) (Alex: Each correct response in that category will be made up of some of the letters in the word "atmosphere".)

THE RIGHTS & THE WRONGS
Todd: 10 R (including 1 DD), 3 W
Will: 5 R (including 1 rebound), 3 W
Maggie: 5 R (including 2 rebounds), 3 W (including 1 DD)

Clues revealed: 28
Triple Stumpers: 7
Double Jeopardy! Round Potential Lach Trash: $8,400

FIRST DOUBLE JEOPARDY! ROUND DAILY DOUBLE
Todd snagged the next Daily Double on the 16th clue. Will was in the hole with -$1,800, Maggie had $6,400, and Todd was at $3,000. Todd wagered $1,200.

NOVELS WRITTEN FAST $1600: As William Faulkner sat writing, it took him six weeks to come up with this 1930 classic

SECOND DOUBLE JEOPARDY! ROUND DAILY DOUBLE
It was Maggie who snatched up the last Daily Double of the game on the 22nd clue. Will was in the hole with -$1,000, Maggie had $6,800, and Todd was at $6,200. Maggie wagered $1,000.

ANCIENT GREECE $1200: In the 350s B.C. Demosthenes started warning Greeks about aggression by this Macedonian dad
(Maggie: Who is... I have no idea.)
(Alex: Well, it's the father of Alexander the Great, and his name was King [*] II of Macedon, Macedonia.)

TRIPLE STUMPERS IN THE DOUBLE JEOPARDY! ROUND
IN THE ATMOSPHERE $1200: Seraglio is another word for this group of women
(Will: Who are the Valkyries?)

SUN RECORDS ARTISTS $400: His 5 Sun singles were released in a 13-month period, the last being "Mystery Train" in August 1955
(Alex: Most famous recording artist for Sun Records? [*].)

SPECIAL ED $1200: I admit it all! Descended from Alfred the Great, this Anglo-Saxon was crowned king in 1042!
(Alex: He admitted it because he is [*].)

COUNTRIES SMALLER THAN PUERTO RICO $1200: The strategic importance of this country, located 60 miles south of Sicily, has guaranteed it a turbulent history
(Will: What is Sardinia?)
(Todd: What is Corsica?)

COUNTRIES SMALLER THAN PUERTO RICO $1600: The more than 1,200 "islands" of this Pacific nation only add up to about 70 square miles
(Todd: What is Micronesia?)
(What is the Philippines?)

IN THE ATMOSPHERE $800: If you're a baseball exec, don't do this, negotiate with a player who's under contract to another team

ANCIENT GREECE $2000: The group will shun you if you don't know this punishment, banishment without losing property

SCORES ENTERING FINAL JEOPARDY!
Todd: $7,400
Maggie: $7,400
Will: $1,800

FINAL JEOPARDY! CATEGORY
CANDY

VENUSIAN MONOLOGUES/MARTIAN CHRONICLES
Prisoner's dilemma.
Todd: Do you trust Maggie? Then bet $0.
Maggie: Don't trust Todd? Then bet $7,400 and hope for an easy Final Jeopardy! clue.
Will: If Todd and Maggie both wager all $7,400 and give incorrect responses, you'll wind up the winner so long as you don't bet more than $1,799. Since your score is less than half either of theirs (meaning you can't overtake them by wagering money) and your win is predicated on both of them getting Final wrong (meaning that, chances are, you won't get it right either), a wager of $0 seems wisest.

FINAL JEOPARDY! CLUE
An early TV ad for this candy bar featured a fleur-de-lis flag & a song with the lyrics "fun for all"

FINAL SCORES
Will: $1,800 + $1,799 = $3,599 (What is 3 musketeers) (19601-day champion: $3,599)
Maggie: $7,400 - $7,400 = $0 (What is Cadbury) (2nd place)
Todd: $7,400 - $7,400 = $0 (What is Almond Joy?) (3rd place)

Total Potential Lach Trash: $14,000

GAME DYNAMICS

CORYAT SCORES
Todd: $9,000, 16 R (including 1 DD), 4 W (including 1 DD)
Maggie: $8,400, 12 R, 3 W (including 1 DD)
Will: $1,800, 10 R, 7 W
Combined Coryat: $19,200

BATTING AVERAGES
Todd: 16/60 = .267
Maggie: 12/59 = .203
Will: 11/58 = .190
Team: 39/63 = .619

MISCELLANEOUS INTERESTING CLUES
THE BIG PICTURE $600: 3 is blue, 7,100 is Etruscan puce: the largest painting of this type, 40,000 square feet, was done at a 2013 youth festival
(Will: What is a finger painting?)

ALL THINGS CONSIDERED $600: (Kelly of the Clue Crew shows a map on the monitor.) In 2011, an Arabic-speaking country lost part of its territory, & this nation, with Dinka as a dominant language, was born

SPORTS SHORTS 2014 $400: They won the World Series
(Alex: Yes, the [*].)
[End-of-round signal sounds.]
(Alex: We're talking about 2014. It's not that long ago!)
[Laughter]

SPECIAL ED $800: He won three terms as New York City mayor

NOVELS WRITTEN FAST $400: Written in 3 weeks in 1886, "A Study in Scarlet" introduced this character who was later killed off but returned
(Who is Sir Arthur Conan Doyle?)

IN THE ATMOSPHERE $400: The prefix geo- is from the Greek for this
(Maggie: What is--No. Stone?)

IN THE ATMOSPHERE $1600: A type of high-ranking angel
(Todd: What is arch?)

SUN RECORDS ARTISTS $1200: The first artist to release an album with Sun Records; his 1957 release included "Cry, Cry, Cry" & "Folsom Prison Blues"
[End-of-round signal sounds.]

CORRECT RESPONSES
Morning Edition
The Night Watch
enterprise
fingerprint
neoprene
howdah
Job
Flying Dutchman
As I Lay Dying
Philip
harem
Elvis Presley
Edward the Confessor
Malta
the Marshall Islands
tamper
ostracism
Three Musketeers
paint by number
South Sudan
(San Francisco) Giants
Ed Koch
Sherlock Holmes
earth
seraph
Johnny Cash

jeff6286
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by jeff6286 »

Candy
An early TV ad for this candy bar featured a fleur-de-lis flag & a song with the lyrics "Fun for all".

Spoiler
What is Three Musketeers? Maggie said Cadbury's; Todd said Almond Joy.

Todd Coleman: $7,400-$7,400=$0
Maggie Schreiter: $7,400-$7,400=$0
Will Anderson: $1,800+$1,799=$3,599...now a 2-day champion with $23,199
Last edited by jeff6286 on Thu Jan 22, 2015 8:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.

gamawire
Swimming in the Jeopardy! Pool

Post by gamawire »

Wait..what just happened?? :shock:
"It is better, of course, to know useless things than to know nothing." -- Seneca

dhkendall
Pursuing the Dream

Post by dhkendall »

I'm guessing "ohm" and "mho" are unacceptable in the $2000 "Atmosphere" clue?

I'm wondering why they chose to put "Wait, Wait, Don't Tell Me" in the $1000 box in the National Public Radio category? You'd think with the audience and contestants they attract (into trivia and quizzing) that it'd be an easy one. (Me, for example, I don't know much about NPR (got the first one through inference alone), but from hanging out with y'all that clue was an instaget). Highly overvalued imho.

Instaget FJ. In fact, so much instaget that I'm typing this while the Think Music is playing, positive that my response is correct. :)

Wow, surprised that it wasn't a get by everyone. And, even more interestingly, if it had went the other way (a TS), the champ would have won just $1. (But, being a returning champ, would still not have tied the lowest all-time win total.) Was kind of looking forward to seeing a tie breaker. There was so many ways this Final could have gone for an interesting result, and this was one of the few results that didn't qualify.
"Jeopardy! is two parts luck and one part luck" - Me

"The way to win on Jeopardy is to be a rabidly curious, information-omnivorous person your entire life." - Ken Jennings

Follow my progress game by game since 2012

grindcore
Some Guy

Post by grindcore »

Yikes.

Austin Powers

Post by Austin Powers »

Just awful

forzagiersy
Contributor

Post by forzagiersy »

Wow, between leaving some really easy/good categories on the board, the FJ!, and lack of knowledge about a certain King...that was certainly an episode.

TenPoundHammer
Otters are meant to swim

Post by TenPoundHammer »

Lach Trash: fingerprint, Neoprene.

I thought "howdah" was a huge difficulty spike in Elephant, not just because it cost me the run.

Enterprise means "boldness"?! Huh?!? I've never thought of myself as having a limited vocabulary, but I'm surprised at how often the show uses words in unfamiliar contexts like that.

So that's where Sochi is.

Considering I haven't heard a second of NPR in my life, I'm surprised I went 3/5 there.

Nice brick joke by Alex on "bring me a smarter scientist".

I thought All Things Considered for $800 was oddly worded, and almost completely opaque in what they were asking for: "In the Bible, Satan tells the Lord, 'Touch his bone and his flesh, and he will curse thee to thy face.'" Easy fix: "Satan tells the Lord, 'Touch' this man's 'face and his flesh…'."

I thought "Mystery Train" and "13 singles" were very, very, very obscure paths to Elvis, especially at $400. I could've spent a month on that and not gotten it. And I can't even call "go with the obvious" on that, because I would think that Jerry Lee Lewis, Johnny Cash, or even Carl Perkins or Roy Orbison would be just as Pavlovian for "Sun Records artist" if not moreso.

Novels Written Fast was an easy run. And I needed that, because I got only three more right in DJ! Smaller than Puerto Rico and Greece were entirely over my head, but I could've gotten the first two Eds if I'd remember to RTFC.

Atmosphere for $800 was a bad clue too. Use a very obscure sports term no one's heard of as the TOM for "tamper"? How about either coming up with a better TOM or just using another word?!

Had "ohm" but not "amp" on Atmosphere for $2,000. Of course I only remember the harder one.

Was happy for the category, and the clue did not disappoint. I had this before Alex was done reading the clue.

I wasn't sure that I was reading FJ! scores right, so I had to rewind. Yes, that totally happened.
Ten Pound Hammer

This space for rent

Golf

Post by Golf »

Zero common sense displayed.

Curious to know why "Who Lotta Shaking Going On" was accepted as a title when the word is Shakin'. As we know, interchanging the in' with ing in a title has been ruled incorrect at least once in the past.

Abraxas

Post by Abraxas »

This wasn't a very good game, but it had an unexpected finish. Will got his second win despite being in the red after the first round and at -3400 at one point in the second round. I had 33 correct responses including four triple stumpers: fingerprint, neoprene, Elvis Presley, and Malta. I got FJ about 10 seconds into the think music.

pburns1587
Valued Contributor

Post by pburns1587 »

That was a touch painful to watch. What the heck was going on in FJ?

Is it correct for both leaders to go all in there? I would think a max wager that keeps 3rd place locked out may be worth it, especially if you're not sure you're going to answer correctly.
Consciously Incompetent

xxaaaxx

Post by xxaaaxx »

TenPoundHammer wrote:I thought All Things Considered for $800 was oddly worded, and almost completely opaque in what they were asking for: "In the Bible, Satan tells the Lord, 'Touch his bone and his flesh, and he will curse thee to thy face.'" Easy fix: "Satan tells the Lord, 'Touch' this man's 'face and his flesh…'."
Glad it wasn't just me. I muttered the right answer, but the way it was phrased had me thinking "OK...so what are you asking them?"

What a terrible game. I knew we were in trouble when none of them recognized The Night Watch (but then she pulls Ed Hopper...wtf?)

Not quite instaget FJ, but it only took a few seconds for the significance of the fleur-de-lis to click. All I can do is laugh at the outcome. I guess neither of them trusted the other :lol: Speaking of which...
pburns1587 wrote:That was a touch painful to watch. What the heck was going on in FJ?

Is it correct for both leaders to go all in there? I would think a max wager that keeps 3rd place locked out may be worth it, especially if you're not sure you're going to answer correctly.
Prisoner's dilemma, all or nothing. With 3rd locked out the best bet would've been zero, but neither of them trusted the other to do so.

legendneverdies

Post by legendneverdies »

xxaaaxx wrote:
What a terrible game. I knew we were in trouble when none of them recognized The Night Watch (but then she pulls Ed Hopper...wtf?)
The category being about people named Ed or Edward(Special Ed) was probably a TOM.

Holocene Hero
Valued Contributor

Post by Holocene Hero »

Instaget FJ. That was cool. Anyways...WHAT THE HELL KIND OF FJ WAGERING WAS THAT?

Robert K S
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by Robert K S »

...and thus we are deprived of our first real opportunity to see the new "no-ties" rule in action...

Holocene: what was your problem with the wagering?

koozbane
Valued Contributor

Post by koozbane »

Sweet fancy Moses that was painful to watch.

Golf

Post by Golf »

Holocene Hero wrote:Instaget FJ. That was cool. Anyways...WHAT THE HELL KIND OF FJ WAGERING WAS THAT?
Surprisingly perfect FJ wagering. Is that why you're so surprised?

dhkendall
Pursuing the Dream

Post by dhkendall »

Ok, maybe I'm missing something, but I thought those were the bets they were supposed to make:

- third can't win if one or both of the leaders got it. However with them being in a tie they are quite likely to bet it all, therefore leaving $1 leaves him the winner in a TS and maximizes his winnings if the situation that happened happens.

- isn't rules numer 1-433 if you're in a tie going into FJ "go all in"?

Both were done, what's the problem?
"Jeopardy! is two parts luck and one part luck" - Me

"The way to win on Jeopardy is to be a rabidly curious, information-omnivorous person your entire life." - Ken Jennings

Follow my progress game by game since 2012

Ryno

Post by Ryno »

I can't say that I have ever seen a game like this. The look in Will's face was telling, "I can't believe that I lucked out like that."

Lach Trash: nightwatch, Elvis Presley, Edward the Confessor, Malta, King Philip (DD)

As for FJ, I went with Nestlé Crunch. Well, the name is French. :roll:
One time swimmer in the Jeopardy! pool