Tuesday, January 27, 2015 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

cheezguyty
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Re: Tuesday, January 27, 2015 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

Post by cheezguyty »

MinnesotaMyron wrote:Went with Russell Crowe, even though I was pretty sure he didn't get it for A Beautiful Mind.
Brando, Hoffman, and Crowe are three of the six men with at least two Best Actor nominations for roles in Best Picture winners. The other three are...
Spoiler
Clint Eastwood (Unforgiven & Million Dollar Baby)
Laurence Olivier (Rebecca & Hamlet [*])
Clark Gable (It Happened One Night [*], Mutiny on the Bounty, & Gone with the Wind)

[*] = Best Actor win
MinnesotaMyron wrote:Here's a followup to today's question: Who is the last woman to win a Best Actress Oscar for a film that won Best Picture?
Spoiler
Hilary Swank?
MinnesotaMyron wrote:(As far as I can tell, no woman had done it twice.)
In fact, there is only one woman to have been nominated twice for Best Actress for films that won Best Picture. Who?

Steppenwolf
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by Steppenwolf »

goatman wrote: Instaget Cuba biggest most populous in Carib.
It looks like this may not remain so much longer. Haiti & the Dominican Republic have both been gaining rapidly... I see a projection for mid-2015 that gives Cuba as 11.26 million, Haiti as 10.99 million, and Dominican Republic as 9.98 million. For the last 10 years Cuba's population has been fairly level, while the Hispaniola countries populations are growing rapidly.
Last edited by Steppenwolf on Wed Jan 28, 2015 12:09 am, edited 1 time in total.

Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Post by Bamaman »

I'm in the "write down a big name actor and hope for the best" camp. Sadly, it was not Humphrey Bogart, should have known it would have been more recent.

With that category, I think I'd offer the tie in that spot. Second has to notice that all or nothing are her only two options.

goforthetie
(username no longer operative)

Post by goforthetie »

danspartan wrote:OK I tried to crunch a bunch of different scenarios and came up with*
1st bets 7000, 2nd bets 0, then 1st wins .765
1st bets 7000, 2nd bets 14K, then 1st wins .64
1st bets 7001, 2nd bets 0 then 1st wins .53 (1st wins if correct)
1st bets 7001, 2nd bets 14K, then 1st wins .81

If 2nd bets 0, then 1st wagering 7000 is far superior
--Win on RR, RW, Tie on WR and WW

If 2nd bets 14K, then 1st wagering 7001 is far superior
--Win on RR, RW, WW, Lose on WR

So it comes down to how often we think 2nd is going to shove. Christine seems to be a thinking player and likely to wager 0, so 7000 seems better, but I don't think its a massively better play.

*I have frequencies of RR=.34, WW=.28, and WR and RW each=.19; I ran through win/loss/tie of the combos, if a tie, I cut that win% in half.
If someone wants to try their own numbers, go for it. Possible I screwed the pooch somewhere.
Of course, depending on how likely you think Christine is to go for 0, betting 0 yourself might be better than either 7000 or 7001.

dhkendall
Pursuing the Dream

Post by dhkendall »

Steppenwolf wrote:
It looks like this may not remain so much longer. Haiti & the Dominican Republic have both been gaining rapidly... I see a projection for mid-2015 that gives Cuba as 11.26 million, Haiti as 10.99 million, and Dominican Republic as 9.98 million. For the last 10 years Cuba's population has been fairly level, while the Hispaniola countries populations are growing rapidly.
Didn't it also say something about being its own island too? I discounted the Hispaniola countries for that reason (or perceived reason if I was wrong) and, if I heard right, the clue as written would remain true for the foreseeable future.
"Jeopardy! is two parts luck and one part luck" - Me

"The way to win on Jeopardy is to be a rabidly curious, information-omnivorous person your entire life." - Ken Jennings

Follow my progress game by game since 2012

Steppenwolf
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by Steppenwolf »

cheezguyty wrote:
In fact, there is only one woman to have been nominated twice for Best Actress for films that won Best Picture. Who?
Spoiler
Shirley MacLaine (The Apartment & Terms of Endearment) That's a tough one!!

Steppenwolf
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by Steppenwolf »

dhkendall wrote:
Steppenwolf wrote:
Didn't it also say something about being its own island too? I discounted the Hispaniola countries for that reason (or perceived reason if I was wrong) and, if I heard right, the clue as written would remain true for the foreseeable future.
I went back and checked... it was 'Found in the Caribbean, it's the most populous island country in the Western Hemisphere'. I think Haiti & Dominican Republic both qualify as 'island countries'... though I guess it could be a little ambiguous what exactly constitutes an 'island country'.

goatman
Man Who Stares At Goats!

Post by goatman »

dhkendall wrote:
Steppenwolf wrote:
I recalled TOM as "biggest island nation" but reading above it is confuzing. IMHO, Hispaniola being two countries drops it off and Jamaica is smallish, PR is not a sovereign nation. The rest are pindots! :?
The corridors of my mind are plastered with 3M Post-It notes!

goatman
Man Who Stares At Goats!

Post by goatman »

cheezguyty wrote:
MinnesotaMyron wrote:Went with Russell Crowe, even though I was pretty sure he didn't get it for A Beautiful Mind.
Brando, Hoffman, and Crowe are three of the six men with at least two Best Actor nominations for roles in Best Picture winners. The other three are...
Spoiler
Clint Eastwood (Unforgiven & Million Dollar Baby)
Laurence Olivier (Rebecca & Hamlet [*])
Clark Gable (It Happened One Night [*], Mutiny on the Bounty, & Gone with the Wind)

[*] = Best Actor win
MinnesotaMyron wrote:Here's a followup to today's question: Who is the last woman to win a Best Actress Oscar for a film that won Best Picture?
Spoiler
Hilary Swank?
No, this daughter of Blythe Danner:
Spoiler
Gwyneth Paltrow in Shakespeare in Love. Before that, Jodie Foster in The Silence of the Lambs
I don't remember nominees, bad enough flashcarding the winners, lol!
The corridors of my mind are plastered with 3M Post-It notes!

zakharov

Post by zakharov »

*puts on TPH hat*

I have never heard "City of Big Shoulders" in my life. I must me one of those parochial Easterners.
4-time pool swimmer - last audition June 2019
Follow me on Twitter @JakeMHS

Steppenwolf
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by Steppenwolf »

goatman wrote:
Spoiler
Hilary Swank?
No, this daughter of Blythe Danner:
Spoiler
Gwyneth Paltrow in Shakespeare in Love. Before that, Jodie Foster in The Silence of the Lambs
I don't remember nominees, bad enough flashcarding the winners, lol!
Not sure what you're saying, Mr. Goat... I'm pretty sure CheezGuyty is correct with his answer.
Last edited by Steppenwolf on Wed Jan 28, 2015 1:32 am, edited 1 time in total.

opusthepenguin
The Best Darn Penguin on the Whole JBoard

Post by opusthepenguin »

cosmos wrote:They cheated a bit when they showed the animation going from Arizona to Moscow. The actual 6000 mile great circle route went off the top of their map. :D
Ssssssshhhhhhhhh.... The route shown was deliberate disinformation in case Putin restarts the Cold War.

skullturf
Married to a Jeopardy! Champion

Post by skullturf »

I managed to get this FJ, and I credit the fact that I tried to brainstorm during the commercial break. I don't have all my Oscar-winning actors memorized, but I just tried to list a bunch of them: some long ago, some recently, some who might have won more than once.

I got Brando (and was pretty sure what the two movies were), but if the clue had required both actors who qualify, I might not have gotten it in 30 seconds. I was leaning Nicholson for the other one. I thought (without looking anything up) that maybe he had won for both One Flew Over The Cuckoo's Nest and As Good As It Gets, and I knew that both of those movies won a bunch of awards.

Now that I look it up, As Good As It Gets did not win best picture (it came out the same year as Titanic), but I still think Nicholson is one of the best possible wrong responses to this clue. (The near-miss of Terms Of Endearment was already mentioned earlier in this thread.)

I didn't love the 7 Dwarfs category. It would have been at home in Kids' Week or the Teen Tournament.

Onairb

Post by Onairb »

OSXpert wrote:As a Chicagoan, I was personally offended than no one got "City of Big Shoulders."
Same here...except I'm not a Chicagoan. This is one of those clues everybody would have gotten right 30 (or 50) years ago.

cinemaniax7
Humble Pi

Post by cinemaniax7 »

Thought of Brando immediately but had a tough time coming up with Hoffman, despite this being a wheelhouse category for me. Seems this was indeed a tough final.

So proud of Christine for doing what had to be done and going all in on the late Daily Double. I wasn't necessarily rooting for her, but this was the only right move, and she had the gumption and foresight to make it. She managed to to the math correctly in FJ, so this was a well-deserved win.

SavoyGirl
One Day Wonder, Class of 1996

Post by SavoyGirl »

Quickly tried to run through two-time Best Actor winners -- Spencer Tracy, Brando, Tom Hanks were the ones that came to mind. Eliminated Tracy, then Hanks (because he'd been mentioned in the game already) and fixed on Brando. Knew Godfather was Best Picture, but couldn't remember the earlier film he'd won for. Knew he lost for Streetcar, but since I didn't have a better answer stuck with him.

BTW, when I picked my Board name, had no idea the Beatles had ever done anything with "Savoy" in it and still have never heard "Savoy Truffle".

opusthepenguin
The Best Darn Penguin on the Whole JBoard

Post by opusthepenguin »

lieph82 wrote:Curious to hear Vermonter's thoughts on this one. Not sure what I'd do anymore.
Well... hindsight and all that... but in Brian's place I wouldn't have bet the extra buck. The tiebreaker would likely come down to a buzzer race. I like his chances in that scenario.

We know from this group that many people have psychological, even emotional difficulty with wagering the way Christine did. It is tough to step aside and passively let fate take its course. We want the illusion of control. We want to "bet on ourselves". If things go wrong, we at least want viewers to understand our decision... and to admire it.

Maybe Brian sussed out the situation that way, either viscerally or analytically. There's no way Christine's betting nothing. Better guard against her betting it all. Christine's gutsy DDs might even have pointed to that interpretation. Could this damn-the-torpedoes bet-the-mortgage player really hit the brakes and come to a full stop just because that's a savvy move?

Turns out she could and did. Her DDs were not reckless but cunning. they showed a savvy situational awareness and a willingness to do what she had to do without flinching. And if she ever felt that what she had to do was nothing, nothing is what she would do. Brian should have considered that as a possible interpretation and held back the extra dollar.

My own suspicion is that Brian didn't really consider the downside to his bet until the results were in. I could be completely wrong, of course. But at the end of the game, he looked like a guy who was only just realizing what he'd done to himself.

This was tough to watch because Brian seemed like TOC material. In 4 out of 5 parallel universes, Brian got away with his wager and went on to become a superchamp. In another 999 parallel universes, the game went exactly the same right up to that last DD. But in those 999 parallel universes, he wasn't facing Christine. Instead, he was facing a) an opponent who bet everything on that DD but got it wrong (1 universe), or b) an opponent who failed to bet it all on that DD (998 universes). Either way, except for the universes in which he faced Christine, Brian went into FJ with a lock.

Oh, and in one parallel universe, TFPTB didn't institute their benighted misbegotten cretinous no-tie rule. I want to travel to that universe and find out whether Brian bet the extra dollar. Anybody interested in sharing cab fare? (Fair warning: don't count on me helping with the cost of a return trip.)

seaborgium
Undefeated in Reruns

Post by seaborgium »

Rain Man may be the first movie I ever owned on DVD. It says right on the front that it won Best Picture and Dustin Hoffman Best Actor. And I knew he has two Oscars for leading roles. Kramer vs. Kramer seemed like a good bet for his (and the) other winning movie. Had I had to give two names, Jack Nicholson probably would have been the other, even though I was pretty sure As Good As It Gets didn't take home the big prize. Maybe I would have thought harder if I'd needed both.

Christine, taking out one three-digit DD wagerer at a time.

Sage on the Hudson

The Daley Show

Post by Sage on the Hudson »

OSXpert wrote:As a Chicagoan, I was personally offended than no one got "City of Big Shoulders."
It should be San Antonio, Texas, since that's where Joan Crawford was from.

bpmod
Rank

Post by bpmod »

opusthepenguin wrote:Oh, and in one parallel universe, TFPTB didn't institute their benighted misbegotten cretinous no-tie rule. I want to travel to that universe and find out whether Brian bet the extra dollar. Anybody interested in sharing cab fare? (Fair warning: don't count on me helping with the cost of a return trip.)
This. (Now, where's that 'like' button again?)
seaborgium wrote:Christine, taking out one three-digit DD wagerer at a time.
LIKE LOVE

Brian
...but the senator, while insisting he was not intoxicated, could not explain his nudity.

If I had 50 cents for every math question I got right, I'd have $6.30 by now.