Wednesday, January 28, 2015 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

Archivists
Fan-created archive of games and players

Wednesday, January 28, 2015 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

Post by Archivists »

Game Recap for Show #6993, 2015-01-28

CONTESTANTS
Andrew Smith, an aerospace engineer from Madison, Alabama
Marissa Edelman, an attorney from Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
Christine Kim, a retired homemaker from Greenwich, Connecticut (whose 2-day cash winnings total $41,401)

OPENING REMARKS
Alex: Thanks, Johnny. Our champion Christine Kim is a 2-day champion because not only is she bright, but she knows how to wager. Savvy wagering has paid off for this lady. So, Marissa and Andrew, you are warned. Good luck, players. Here we go. Categories are...

JEOPARDY! ROUND CATEGORIES
YES, VIRGINIA (4/5, including 1 missed Daily Double)
A MUSIC HISTORY TIMELINE (3/5)
THOUGHTS FROM THE COMMISSIONER (2/3)
ICE CREAM (5/5)
SCOOPS (4/5)
I'LL HAVE A TRIPLE (5/5) (Alex: Each response will be three words that rhyme with each other.)

THE RIGHTS & THE WRONGS
Andrew: 11 R (including 1 rebound), 5 W (including 1 DD)
Christine: 7 R (including 2 rebounds), 3 W
Marissa: 5 R, 2 W

Clues revealed: 28
Triple Stumpers: 4
Jeopardy! Round Potential Lach Trash: $3,200

SCORES AT THE FIRST BREAK
Christine: $1,600
Marissa: $1,000
Andrew: $600

CONTESTANT INTERVIEWS

Alex: Welcome back. Andrew Smith is an aerospace engineer who not so long ago, when he was in high school, was a member of a group that put together a stage production of one of my favorite films. Tell us about it.

Andrew: Uh, we put on a stage production of The Princess Bride. A group of friends of mine, we were in, uh, independent study theater group and we wrote our own stage--stage adaption [sic] of, uh, The Princess Bride. And I played Westley.

Alex: Oh, you played Westley.

Andrew: Played Westley.

Alex: Ah. "As you wish."

[Andrew chuckles.]

Alex: All right.

Alex: Marissa Edelman is an attorney from Philadelphia who ran into some bad luck after learning she was gonna be a contestant on Jeopardy!

Marissa: I did.

Alex: Because our contestants, as you know, have to pay their own way to come to Los Angeles.

Marissa: They do.

Alex: So what happened with you?

Marissa: Uh, I was actually laid off the week of tryouts. Um, so when I found out I was, uh, picked to be on the show, I was really excited. Then I realized, I don't know how to get here. So my friend suggested, um, a fund-raiser. And then I, you know, submitted, uh, circulated it to family and friends, and they were like, "No. Talk to Arthur Chu. Talk to Julia Collins." Some of my friends start tweeting at them. And it raised over $1,000, and I'm here.

Alex: Good for them. They helped you out.

Marissa: They really did.

Alex: That's wonderful.

Marissa: Everyone really helped me out.

Alex: All right, Christine Kim, retired homemaker, our champion. Also a volunteer now for which organization?

Christine: It's the Greenwich Alliance for Education. It's my town's local, uh, education fund. We have great public schools in our town, but we believe that we can always provide more opportunities. So we fund-raise and we support programs that provide opportunities for--

Alex: In low-income communities?

Christine: Particularly--usually for--for families who may not have these same opportunities.

Alex: Good for you on that score.

JEOPARDY! ROUND DAILY DOUBLE
Andrew found the Daily Double on the 22nd clue. Christine had $1,200, Marissa had $1,000, and Andrew was at $2,800. Andrew wagered $2,000.

YES, VIRGINIA $800: This World Heritage site just southeast of Charlottesville was built between 1768 & 1809
(Andrew: What is Williamsburg?)

TRIPLE STUMPERS IN THE JEOPARDY! ROUND
A MUSIC HISTORY TIMELINE $600: Designed by William Tuthill, this performance space opened in 1891 in Midtown Manhattan
(Christine: What is Steinway Hall?)
(Marissa: What is Lincoln Center?)
(Andrew: What is Radio City Music Hall?)

SCOOPS $800: Awarding over $80 million in 2014, "SCOOP" is the annual "Spring Championship of Online" this game

A MUSIC HISTORY TIMELINE $1000: Composed after the death of the writer Alessandro Manzoni, Verdi's "Requiem Mass" premiered in 1874 in this city
(Andrew: What is Vienna?)
(Alex: And we have less than a minute to deal with that last category up there, Marissa.)

THOUGHTS FROM THE COMMISSIONER $800: (NBA Commissioner Adam Silver delivers the clue.) The NBA championship trophy is named after this former NBA commissioner
(Christine: What is the Naismith Trophy?)

SCORES AT THE END OF THE JEOPARDY! ROUND
Marissa: $2,400
Christine: $1,400
Andrew: $800
Archivists
Fan-created archive of games and players

Re: Wednesday, January 28, 2015 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

Post by Archivists »

DOUBLE JEOPARDY! ROUND CATEGORIES
I AM A MAN OF SCIENCE! (3/5, including 1 missed Daily Double)
WORD ORIGINS (4/5)
"EL" CATEGORY (5/5)
1980s CINEMA (4/4, including 1 correct Daily Double) (Alex: You might be too young.)
ROMAN EMPERORS (1/5)
STATE OF THE NOVEL (4/5) (Alex: You have to tell us the state where the main action takes place.)

THE RIGHTS & THE WRONGS
Andrew: 10 R (including 1 DD), 4 W
Marissa: 6 R (including 3 rebounds), 2 W (including 1 DD)
Christine: 5 R (including 1 rebound), 2 W

Clues revealed: 29
Triple Stumpers: 7
Double Jeopardy! Round Potential Lach Trash: $9,600

FIRST DOUBLE JEOPARDY! ROUND DAILY DOUBLE
Marissa snagged the next Daily Double on the 7th clue. Christine had $2,200, Marissa had $2,800, and Andrew had a deficit with -$800. Marissa wagered $1,000.

I AM A MAN OF SCIENCE! $1600: He didn't carry a blue security blanket when he won a Chemistry Nobel for research on the nature of chemical bonds
(Marissa: Who is Linus? Ah...)
(Alex: Oh... that's--you got his first name.)
(Marissa: Yeah.)

SECOND DOUBLE JEOPARDY! ROUND DAILY DOUBLE
It was Andrew who snatched up the last Daily Double of the game on the 29th clue. Christine had $3,400, Marissa had $7,400, and Andrew was at $8,400. Andrew wagered $400.

1980s CINEMA $1600: For the funeral scene in this 1982 biopic the production co. placed ads for 400,000 extras in Delhi newspapers
[The end-of-round signal sounds.]

TRIPLE STUMPERS IN THE DOUBLE JEOPARDY! ROUND
I AM A MAN OF SCIENCE! $1200: Louis & Mary's son, this Kenyan scientist found a humanlike creature's skull that was 1.7 million years old
(Christine: Who is Leakey?)
(Alex: Be more specific.)
(Christine: Who is... John Leakey?)

WORD ORIGINS $1600: This 8-letter synonym for a treaty or a promise comes from the Latin for "to come together"

STATE OF THE NOVEL $2000: "The Color Purple"

ROMAN EMPERORS $400: The emperor born Gaius Octavius took this name that means "lofty" or "solemn"
(Andrew: Who is Severus?)

ROMAN EMPERORS $800: The Antonine Wall in Scotland was built by Antoninus Pius, adopted son of this emperor
(Alex: That's probably why it's known as [*]'s Wall.)

ROMAN EMPERORS $1600: In 67 A.D. he was declared the winner of an Olympic chariot race, though he fell out & didn't finish

ROMAN EMPERORS $2000: His ashes & later those of his wife Plotina were placed in the base of his 130-foot column erected in 113

SCORES ENTERING FINAL JEOPARDY!
Andrew: $8,800
Marissa: $7,400
Christine: $3,400

FINAL JEOPARDY! CATEGORY
MEDIEVAL LITERATURE

VENUSIAN MONOLOGUES/MARTIAN CHRONICLES
Four-fifths for first place.
Andrew: Wager $6,001 to cover Marissa.
Marissa: Try wagering $599, which is as much as you can put up against Andrew without being usurped by a doubled score on the part of Christine.
Christine: There's no way you can cover a rational wager by Marissa, but if Marissa decides for some reason to wager everything, you can eke out a win on a Triple Stumper if you wager no more than $600.

FINAL JEOPARDY! CLUE
Characters in this epic 4,002-line poem include Count Ogier, Duke Thierry & Archbishop Turpin of Reims

FINAL SCORES
Christine: $3,400 - $3,399 = $1 (What is the Canterbury Tales?) (3rd place)
Marissa: $7,400 + $2,000 = $9,400 (What is the Song of Roland?) (New champion: $9,400)
Andrew: $8,800 - $6,001 = $2,799 (What is the Canterbury Tales?) (2nd place)

Total Potential Lach Trash: $12,800

GAME DYNAMICS

CORYAT SCORES
Andrew: $12,000, 21 R (including 1 DD), 9 W (including 1 DD)
Marissa: $8,400, 11 R, 4 W (including 1 DD)
Christine: $3,400, 12 R, 5 W
Combined Coryat: $23,800

BATTING AVERAGES
Andrew: 21/60 = .350
Christine: 12/58 = .207
Marissa: 12/59 = .203
Team: 45/63 = .714

MISCELLANEOUS INTERESTING CLUES
ICE CREAM $600: The ice cream cone was popularized at the 1904 World's Fair in this U.S. city
(Andrew: What is Chicago?)

ICE CREAM $800: A 1921 ad for this product called it "a chocolate covered, tin foil wrapped ice cream bar"
(Andrew: What is a--a Kodak Bar?)
(Marissa: What is a Klondike Bar?)

SCOOPS $1000: It's the bivalve name for this scoop found on many a construction site
(Christine: What is a clam... shovel?)

YES, VIRGINIA $1000: (Jimmy of the Clue Crew shows a map on the monitor.) When West Virginia split off in 1863, Virginia no longer shared borders with these two states

THOUGHTS FROM THE COMMISSIONER $1000: Mike Slive, commissioner of this conference, was happy to welcome new members Missouri & Texas A&M in 2012
[The end-of-round signal sounds.]

I AM A MAN OF SCIENCE! $800: An astronomer by trade, he took the local temperature & used his fame to get money to build an observatory in Uppsala, Sweden
(Andrew: Who is Brahe?)
(Marissa: Who is Fahrenheit?)

1980s CINEMA $1200: In "Dirty Dancing" she played Baby, whom nobody puts in a corner
(Andrew: Who is Beal?)

STATE OF THE NOVEL $400: "Lake Wobegon Days"
(Christine: What is Wisconsin?)

STATE OF THE NOVEL $800: "A Time to Kill"
(Andrew: Oh, what is Missouri?)

ROMAN EMPERORS $1200: In retaliation for the murder of Emperor Pertinax, Septimius Severus reorganized this bodyguard group
(Alex: You are right, with less than a minute to go now.)

CORRECT RESPONSES
Monticello
Carnegie Hall
poker
Milan
Larry O'Brien
Linus Pauling
Gandhi
Richard Leakey
covenant
Georgia
Caesar Augustus
Hadrian
Nero
Trajan
The Song of Roland (La Chanson de Roland)
St. Louis
an Eskimo Pie
a clamshell (scoop)
Ohio & Pennsylvania
the SEC
(Anders) Celsius
Jennifer Grey
Minnesota
Mississippi
the Praetorians
jeff6286
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by jeff6286 »

Medieval Literature
Characters in this epic 4,002 line poem include Count Ogier, Duke Thierry, & Archbishop Turpin of Reims.

Spoiler
What is the the Song of Roland? Christine and Andrew both said the Canterbury Tales.

Andrew Smith: $8,800-$6,001=$2,799
Marissa Edelman: $7,400+$2,000=$9,400...now a 1-day champion with $9,400.
Christine Kim: $3,400-$3,399=$1
Last edited by jeff6286 on Wed Jan 28, 2015 8:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.
forzagiersy
Contributor

Post by forzagiersy »

No Daily Doubles for Christine=no 3-day championship.

LT: Milan (kinda obvious I'd know this given the avatar, and if you're curious Inter and Milan are both not so hot this year--the Nerazzuri have already fired their manager and the Rossoneri are by all accounts about to do the same), Larry O'Brien, Hadrian, Augustus, Trajan, indeed most of the Roman emperors category.

FJ! was pretty much an up-or-down question, and I was not up.
grindcore
Some Guy

Post by grindcore »

Rotten game from me. Silly negs and not much else. Lached up Carnegie Hall and Milan though. (which, forzagiersy, I have fond memories of as a Tottenham fan)

Upon seeing the FJ category, I said "if it's not Canterbury Tales, I'm screwed." Heyo!

And how about that bottom row clue in Yes, Virginia? "Can you name these two states?" Brain-warping one, that.
TenPoundHammer

Post by TenPoundHammer »

Lach Trash: Poker, Linus Pauling.

3/5 in Triple. I was 0/3 on "tank bank plank" as I had no idea what a Panzer or repository are, and couldn't think of any wooden words. That flustered me enough to momentarily forget what "misdemeanor" meant.

And what led to Eskimo Pie over Klondike or Dove on Ice Cream for $800? I whiffed with Dove after Klondike was negged, figuring it possibly couldn't be anything else. I've never seen an Eskimo Pie in my life. My only miss in the category, too.

I thought Carnegie could've used more TOM to prevent the triple neg.

Identify OH and PA on a map for $1000? That's $200 on Kids' Week, tops.

Williamsburg for Yorktown. There's a Yorktown in VA?!

I should've clammed on "Clamshell scoop" because I WAGged "clam digger", which appears to be wrong.

As soon as the Richard Leakey clue came up, I knew exactly how it would progress: "Who is Leakey?", BMS, silence, TS.

So that's what covenant means. Honestly didn't know that. There's a Covenant Health Care near me, but I never took the time to figure out what "covenant" actually meant.

Metaphor was super overvalued.

El Pollo Loco? Hey, finally a California-centric fast food clue I can actually get! No more of this Wienerschnitzel, Jamba Juice, Fatburger, etc. stuff tripping me up!

Ugh, why did they keep going for the Roman category if they only knew one of them?

Not a promising FJ! category for me. NHO the correct response.

Audience shot during credits! Any familiar faces this time?
Golf
Wet Paper Bag Charmer

Post by Golf »

Ooof, that game hurt to watch. Surprised at the champ's FJ wager after seemingly thoughtful ones prior. And the new champ's wager could not have been worse, although she had a nice solo solve.

Had that been me on that last DD, I would have wagered all but $1 and decided the game right then and there. But if he wasn't confident in the category he did the right thing.
Leander

Post by Leander »

I knew only one medieval French epic poem so I'm glad it was the one the writers were looking for.

That identify Ohio and Pennsylvania on a map for $1000 was ridiculous. I've noticed a number of cases lately where the last clue in the category is easier than the lower value ones.
Abraxas

Post by Abraxas »

This game didn't get off to a good start, but the pace picked up and Marissa won by being the only one to get FJ. I thought this game was tougher than usual. I had 28 correct responses including 4 triple stumpers: Carnegie Hall, poker, Richard Leakey, and Nero. I also got Linus Pauling (DD). I guessed Canterbury Tales for FJ.
forzagiersy
Contributor

Post by forzagiersy »

grindcore wrote:Rotten game from me. Silly negs and not much else. Lached up Carnegie Hall and Milan though. (which, forzagiersy, I have fond memories of as a Tottenham fan)

Upon seeing the FJ category, I said "if it's not Canterbury Tales, I'm screwed." Heyo!

And how about that bottom row clue in Yes, Virginia? "Can you name these two states?" Brain-warping one, that.
This is for you, then: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vQH0ebBiUvM
Ryno

Post by Ryno »

Good Lach Trash game for me. Lach Trash: Carnegie Hall, Monticello (DD), Larry Obrien, Richard Leakey, Linus Pauling, Hadrian.

Once again, the sports category was avoided.

As for FJ, just never heard of it despite my big notebook of lierature notes.
One time swimmer in the Jeopardy! pool
Jaksiel
Valued Contributor

Post by Jaksiel »

I nominate "Identify Pennsylvania and Ohio on a map" for $1000 as the most undervalued Jeopardy clue of all time.

Funny that Tootsie and Terms of Endearment are the first two clues in a 1980s cinema category after the discussion about yesterday's FJ!.

EDIT: I of course meant "overvalued"...clearly I've been drinking whatever the writers were drinking when they put it at $1000...
Last edited by Jaksiel on Wed Jan 28, 2015 8:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.
CrunchyTaco
Swimming in the Jeopardy! Pool

Post by CrunchyTaco »

Jaksiel wrote:I nominate "Identify Pennsylvania and Ohio on a map" for $1000 as the most undervalued Jeopardy clue of all time.
I second that nomination. I bet all 15 contestants from Kids Week would have gotten that correct.

Surprised Marissa pulled it off after missing Linus Pauling.
thenextofken

Post by thenextofken »

Would TPTB accept newspaper reporter for journalist? Judges?
Robert K S
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by Robert K S »

Yucky yucky yucky.

I said Morte d'Arthur for Final. It's sort of medieval; it has a French title; and parts take place in France.
Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Post by Bamaman »

Golf wrote: And the new champ's wager could not have been worse, although she had a nice solo solve.
Yes it could. She could have bet everything. She at least forced Christine to get it right to beat her and stayed above Andrew's MSBIW score. Still, I agree it was a bad wager, especially since she had to beg for money to get to California.

As for Christine's wager, she has no shot at winning if Marissa makes the right bet and you have no idea how much she might overbet. While a small wager gets her second on a TS, she had already won a bunch of money, so an extra $1,000 wouldn't be that big a deal to me.

I'll be the first to say I hated they didn't finish the sports category. I got it right, but Larry O'Brien should have been worth more than the SEC clue.

Agree the state maps was overvalued on Kids Week.

No chance for me on FJ, never heard of that work.
Vanya
The support is non-zero

Post by Vanya »

Bamaman wrote:
Golf wrote: And the new champ's wager could not have been worse, although she had a nice solo solve.
Yes it could. She could have bet everything.
Then she would have won 5 grand more! At least she didn't listen to the Debbie Downers of wagering on this board.
Category 13
Wagering Viking

Post by Category 13 »

I'm disappointed with Christine's FJ wager after showing wagering savy yesterday. She couldn't catch Marissa unless Marissa bets more than 600 and get's it wrong but she could have guaranteed herself second place as long as Andrew misses with the msbiw.

I'm going out on a limb and predicting Marissa is going to be one & done.
cosmos

Post by cosmos »

KSHB in Kansas City preempted an entire commercial block for breaking news without missing a second of the game. They feared the wrath of disappointed J! fans more than they feared the sponsors. :D

Alex's pronunciation of "Eroica" was dreadful. Oy! The word has four syllables.
Category 13
Wagering Viking

Post by Category 13 »

Bamaman wrote: I got it right, but Larry O'Brien should have been worth more than the SEC clue.
Is that the one Christine sounded like she was trying to say "Con Smyth" on? lol. That was a bad neg on her part.

I wondered if the writers thought they might trip somebody up with the Terms of Endearment clue by thinking astronaut/1983 = The Right Stuff.
I almost bit on it, but at the last second thought "whoa, not Jack Nicholson".
Last edited by Category 13 on Wed Jan 28, 2015 9:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.