Monday, February 9, 2015 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

zakharov
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Re: Monday, February 9, 2015 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

Post by zakharov »

TenPoundHammer wrote:Of course, it was the part I didn't understand the meaning of. I know that "baron" is a title of some importance but beyond that, no idea.
And now you know! Now you can look at a Wikipedia article on titles or something and learn even more. Isn't learning fun?
4-time pool swimmer - last audition June 2019
Follow me on Twitter @JakeMHS
Onairb

Post by Onairb »

Category 13 wrote:
Speaking of the Lennon/McCartney clue: I felt that should have been a top row clue with the dead give-away "Quarrymen" in the clue.
Lydia's response, immediately after Adam guessed the wrong 'famous bank-robbing duo', made my head explode.
goatman
Man Who Stares At Goats!

Post by goatman »

Instaget FJ before I even read the clue in toto. TPH you HAVE heard this many times, you just don't REMEMBER it. George Gordon Noel became 6th Baron Byron at age 10 on his uncle's demise.
You KNOW that! Go read the wiki, you must know She Walks in Beauty, Childe Harolde and Don Juan: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lord_Byron
Factoid: He fathered Lady Ada Lovelace, first program language author, collaborated with Charles Babbage on first design for 'analytical engine'; first machine language "ADA" named for her.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ada_Lovelace

Sadly as I read ahead on NYT CoD this AM, I realized that my deplorably weak knowledge of Broadway on Tues game will break my longest-ever FJ winning streak. :(

I responded to 19 consecutive clues correctly over the past 3 weeks, going back to: 345 feet diff in elevation hi/lo >Florida, Dutch East India Co, Keats' headstone in Rome, Christies' & Sotheby's, Thomas a Becket, Kafka's Metamorphosis, 3 Musketeers, ST Lawrence River, San Fran, Marlon Brando, Roland, Viceroy, horses, Reagan #40, algorithm, north star, World Heritage sites, Italy up to Lord Byron; not bad for a scrub who stares at goats, IMHO. I'm finally attuning to J-speak!! ROFL

LT: Late arrival w/partial viewing, still got Aconcagua and Don Corleone (also featured in one of my prior posts, "Life is so beautiful!" LOL). Look forward to the review and tonight!

SIgh.
The corridors of my mind are plastered with 3M Post-It notes!
zakharov

Post by zakharov »

I know it's vague but it looks like you have some minor spoilers for Tuesday's FJ clue in your post.
econgator
Let's Go Mets!

Post by econgator »

dexterG wrote:For FJ, I said George Gordon. Would they have accepted that?
Wasn't that his first and middle name? If so, I doubt it.
econgator
Let's Go Mets!

Post by econgator »

zakharov wrote:I know it's vague but it looks like you have some minor spoilers for Tuesday's FJ clue in your post.
The category is BROADWAY MUSICALS. I don't really see that as a spoiler.
davey

Post by davey »

econgator wrote:
zakharov wrote:I know it's vague but it looks like you have some minor spoilers for Tuesday's FJ clue in your post.
Others might!
zakharov

Post by zakharov »

econgator wrote:
I don't particularly care but as someone who's been on the wrong end of spoiler rules before I was just offering advice.
econgator
Let's Go Mets!

Post by econgator »

davey wrote:
econgator wrote:
Others might!
Maybe so, but if someone finds a category name to be a spoiler, I'd suggest psychiatric help.
Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Post by Bamaman »

Another key moment in the game was when Erin switched from the Windsor wives category. Had she stayed in it, she gets the George VI DD instead of Adam.

and why did Alex say Adam's bet didn't matter? If he goes Cliff Clavin, Erin wins the game.
Holocene Hero
Valued Contributor

Post by Holocene Hero »

Quite surprised to see Don Vito Corleone get missed on the DD. Never sat through an entire Godfather movie, and even I knew dude dies in the garden.

Instaget FJ. How can you not know about a dude as interesting as Lord Byron? Seriously, the only people whose I can think of whose life parallels his in sheer excitement is maybe Alexander the Great and Teddy Roosevelt.
Holocene Hero
Valued Contributor

Post by Holocene Hero »

Bamaman wrote: and why did Alex say Adam's bet didn't matter? If he goes Cliff Clavin, Erin wins the game.
Because no one's ever actually pulled a Cliff Clavin.
lieph82

Post by lieph82 »

Holocene Hero wrote:
Bamaman wrote: and why did Alex say Adam's bet didn't matter? If he goes Cliff Clavin, Erin wins the game.
Because no one's ever actually pulled a Cliff Clavin.
Of course it's happened. Also, don't want to clog the TD thread but your calc teacher probably needs his/her cert revoked...
jeff6286

Post by jeff6286 »

Category 13 wrote:
MarkBarrett wrote:
Robert K S wrote:Lydia's biggest problem seemed to be the buzzer. She couldn't even catch rebounds. I at least applaud her sense to try for the last clue with a WAG to try to break the lock. Just one or a few clues more in her favor and she's the one who emerges as the finalist.
Yes, her score could have been higher, but Adam could have bet more on his DDs just as easily if necessary. Right, good for her for jumping right in to conclude the DJ! round by guessing something. Anything.
OMG, I was so deflated by Lydia's reckless guess on the previous 2000 clue that I didn't notice/remember that she apparently buzzed the last clue to try to save herself from the lock. If that's the case, (the Archive isn't updated yet) that makes her WAG that I commented on page 1 even more devistating. She might not have even been in the position to have to take that risk if she had just clammed when she needed to.
Then again, the McCartney/Lennon mistake was probably more of a factor in the end.

Speaking of the Lennon/McCartney clue: I felt that should have been a top row clue with the dead give-away "Quarrymen" in the clue.
I'm still a bit confused over where you got this idea that Lydia blew $2,000 before the final clue. The game is up at the Archive now, and it shows Lydia as not having any negs in DJ until clue #30, which was intaglio, when she was guessing in an effort to break the lock game. She did have some poor guesses in the J! round.
Category 13
Wagering Viking

Total Brain Fart

Post by Category 13 »

jeff6286 wrote: I'm still a bit confused over where you got this idea that Lydia blew $2,000 before the final clue. The game is up at the Archive now, and it shows Lydia as not having any negs in DJ until clue #30, which was intaglio, when she was guessing in an effort to break the lock game. She did have some poor guesses in the J! round.
Yes I just got done (before you posted) looking all through the last several DJ clues and could not find any other high dollar negs by Lydia.
I don't blame you for the confusion. It appears I was abducted by aliens immediately after clue 25 in J Round and was returned just as Lydia negged on that last clue (30) in DJ. Then I simply conflated the two clues as the same one. :oops:
Not really, because I do remember watching most of the game, but I am baffled how my brain short circuited those two Lydia negs together.
Silverfox
Don't Step on My Tail!

Post by Silverfox »

Oh boy. 19 correct in J and 18 in DJ. And a correct answer for FJ.
Watching these teachers is an interesting experience. On some clues I find myself shouting at the TV. They miss some things that I feel every teacher should know. Does anyone feel the same about this idea??
Be alert. Stupid never takes a day off!
Robert K S
Jeopardy! Champion

Re: Total Brain Fart

Post by Robert K S »

Category 13 wrote:It appears I was abducted by aliens immediately after clue 25 in J Round and was returned just as Lydia negged on that last clue (30) in DJ. Then I simply conflated the two clues as the same one. :oops:
Not really, because I do remember watching most of the game, but I am baffled how my brain short circuited those two Lydia negs together.
This warrants a 6-month suspension from JBoard...
dhkendall
Pursuing the Dream

Post by dhkendall »

Robert K S wrote:
Category 13 wrote:It appears I was abducted by aliens immediately after clue 25 in J Round and was returned just as Lydia negged on that last clue (30) in DJ. Then I simply conflated the two clues as the same one. :oops:
As long as it's transferable, you might be on to something. (Because there's a certain little (bleep) that's currently taken his show on the road to Friday's thread that I'd encourage Category 13 to transfer his suspension to.)
"Jeopardy! is two parts luck and one part luck" - Me

"The way to win on Jeopardy is to be a rabidly curious, information-omnivorous person your entire life." - Ken Jennings

Follow my progress game by game since 2012
seaborgium
Undefeated in Reruns

Post by seaborgium »

dhkendall wrote:
Robert K S wrote:
As long as it's transferable, you might be on to something. (Because there's a certain little (bleep) that's currently taken his show on the road to Friday's thread that I'd encourage Category 13 to transfer his suspension to.)
That one's your fault.
dhkendall
Pursuing the Dream

Post by dhkendall »

seaborgium wrote:
dhkendall wrote:
Robert K S wrote:
That one's your fault.
Hey, how's he supposed to eventually post something that crosses Andy's line to earn him a suspension if he doesn't appear every now and then?
"Jeopardy! is two parts luck and one part luck" - Me

"The way to win on Jeopardy is to be a rabidly curious, information-omnivorous person your entire life." - Ken Jennings

Follow my progress game by game since 2012