Thursday, February 12, 2015 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, dhkendall, trainman, econgator

Archivists
Fan-created archive of games and players

Thursday, February 12, 2015 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

Post by Archivists » Thu Feb 12, 2015 11:30 am

Game Recap for Show #7004, 2015-02-12

2015 Teachers Tournament final game 1.

CONTESTANTS
Jennifer Giles, a third grade teacher from Longmont, Colorado
Cathy Farrell, a high school science teacher from Wyandotte, Michigan
Adam Elkana-Hale, a middle school math teacher from St. Louis, Missouri

OPENING REMARKS
Alex: Thank you, Johnny. I predict excitement, ladies and gentlemen. We have primary school, middle school, and high school teachers represented in this final. At the end of tomorrow's program, one of them will be at least $100,000 richer. Will it be Adam, Cathy, or Jennifer? Good luck to all three of you. You get to deal with these categories today...

JEOPARDY! ROUND CATEGORIES
SHE-ROES (5/5) (Alex: ...not "heroes.")
A TEXTBOOK CATEGORY (5/5, including 1 correct Daily Double)
SHAKE IT UP! (5/5)
WEDDINGS OF THE STARS (5/5)
"OY" TO THE WORLD (5/5)
REMEMBER MAINE! (4/5)

THE RIGHTS & THE WRONGS
Adam: 15 R (including 1 DD), 1 W
Cathy: 7 R (including 1 rebound), 0 W
Jennifer: 7 R, 0 W

Clues revealed: 30
Triple Stumpers: 1
Jeopardy! Round Potential Lach Trash: $800

JEOPARDY! ROUND DAILY DOUBLE
Adam found the Daily Double on the 10th clue. Adam had $1,800, Cathy had $2,400, and Jennifer was at $600. Adam made it a True Daily Double, wagering $1,800.

A TEXTBOOK CATEGORY $1000: The Eyes on the Prize Civil Rights Reader" includes this 1963 letter that begins, "While confined here"

SCORES AT THE FIRST BREAK
Adam: $4,400
Cathy: $3,800
Jennifer: $600

CONTESTANT INTERVIEWS

Alex: A very big influence in Jennifer Giles' life was her fifth-grade teacher, Mr. T, not Mr. Trebek. Who was this Mr. T, and how did he influence you, in what way?

Jennifer: Well, Mr. T was my fifth grade teacher, and he would organize little trivia competitions that we would have, so in the groups, he would read the trivial pursuit cards, and then we would go around and see who was the smartest.

Alex: So you've been playing this kind of game, this kind of competition for quite a while.

Jennifer: For quite a while. Absolutely.

Alex: Good. It's paid off. You're here in the finals.

Alex: Cathy Farrell is a high school science teacher who is also a published researcher?

Cathy: Yeah, it's more--or less impressive than it sounds. Actually, my first job after college, when I wasn't 100% sure I wanted to go into teaching, I was a research assistant, and basically what I did--I was like the chief bottle washer, and I grew the cells, I counted them, I put stuff in and took readings, but I basically just did whatever my boss told me to in our weekly meetings. But because of that, I am listed and I am officially published in the journal of surgical research.

Alex: Good for you. And being a researcher, you learn a lot, and that prepares you for something like this.

Jennifer: Oh, very much.

Alex: Now, this week and last week, we were talking about teachers who weren't teachers to begin with. You came from something completely different than teaching.

Adam: Yeah, so out of college, I tried my hand at being an actor, and then I spent a year working as a quality-control chemist in a steel mill, and I spent a year as the radio play-by-play voice of Monmouth College Fighting Scots football.

Alex: Wow.

Adam: And eventually, I didn't have a job, and my wife reminded me that I had started out as an education major and went back and got my certificate.

Alex: Yeah, I think the part of that that intrigues me the most is quality-control guy at a steel mill. "Yeah, that's good. We're good to go."

[Laughter]

TRIPLE STUMPERS IN THE JEOPARDY! ROUND
REMEMBER MAINE! $800: Remember that in 1959 Maine's 190-mile mountain range was named for this "Evangeline" poet & native son!

SCORES AT THE END OF THE JEOPARDY! ROUND
Adam: $9,800
Cathy: $4,800
Jennifer: $3,200

Archivists
Fan-created archive of games and players

Re: Thursday, February 12, 2015 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

Post by Archivists » Thu Feb 12, 2015 11:30 am

DOUBLE JEOPARDY! ROUND CATEGORIES
1990s FICTION (4/5)
ANATOMY (5/5, including 1 correct Daily Double)
A LITTLE OF EVERYTHING (4/5)
A HISTORY LESSON (2/5, including 1 missed Daily Double)
SUCCINCT SILVER SCREEN SUMMARIES (5/5) (Alex: And if you select [*], just say four "S" because...)
THAT'S QUITE A MOUTHFUL! (5/5)

THE RIGHTS & THE WRONGS
Jennifer: 12 R (including 1 DD), 2 W
Cathy: 7 R (including 1 rebound), 0 W
Adam: 6 R, 1 W (including 1 DD)

Clues revealed: 30
Triple Stumpers: 4
Double Jeopardy! Round Potential Lach Trash: $6,800

FIRST DOUBLE JEOPARDY! ROUND DAILY DOUBLE
Adam snagged the next Daily Double on the 7th clue. Adam had $12,200, Cathy had $4,800, and Jennifer was at $4,000. Adam wagered $4,000.

A HISTORY LESSON $800: In 1703, John Sheffield, Duke of this, built a palatial estate on the former site of London's Arlington House
(Adam: What is York?)

SECOND DOUBLE JEOPARDY! ROUND DAILY DOUBLE
It was Jennifer who snatched up the last Daily Double of the game on the 17th clue. Adam had $9,400, Cathy had $6,400, and Jennifer was at $7,200. Jennifer wagered $3,000.

ANATOMY $1600: Heart sac is another name for this 2-layered sac that surrounds the heart

TRIPLE STUMPERS IN THE DOUBLE JEOPARDY! ROUND
A LITTLE OF EVERYTHING $1600: This prestigious liberal arts college in Yonkers, New York was named for the wife of a real estate tycoon
(Jennifer: What is Vanderbilt?)

A HISTORY LESSON $1600: Athens was the chief city of this ancient district of Greece

A HISTORY LESSON $2000: In 1912 this last emperor of China abdicated, ending 268 years of rule by the Manchu dynasty

1990s FICTION $1600: This bestseller by Barbara Kingsolver follows a missionary & his family in the Belgian Congo

SCORES ENTERING FINAL JEOPARDY!
Cathy: $13,600
Jennifer: $13,400
Adam: $13,000

FINAL JEOPARDY! CATEGORY
WORLD GEOGRAPHY

VENUSIAN MONOLOGUES/MARTIAN CHRONICLES
Four-fifths for first place.
Cathy: Wager $13,201 to cover Jennifer.
Jennifer: You're faced with a legitimate choice in strategy. You can either choose to cover Adam, hoping that you give the correct response and Cathy doesn't, in which case you'll want to wager $12,601 to cover Adam's doubled score, but no more than $13,000 if you want to top Cathy on a Triple Stumper; or bet up to $399 and win if both Cathy and Adam miss Final.
Adam: You ought to try wagering between $401 and $12,200. This will top a $0 wager by Jennifer while still beating Cathy and Jennifer on the Triple Stumper (should Cathy wager to cover Jennifer's doubled score and Jennifer wager to cover your doubled score).

FINAL JEOPARDY! CLUE
Not in the 10 longest, this 1,560-mile river in a fertile basin flows by 29 cities of over 100,000 people

FINAL SCORES
Adam: $13,000 - $10,000 = $3,000 (What is the Jorda Gr)
Jennifer: $13,400 + $9,000 = $22,400 (What is the Danube Ganges?)
Cathy: $13,600 + $5,000 = $18,600 (What is the Ganges?)

Total Potential Lach Trash: $7,600

GAME DYNAMICS

CORYAT SCORES
Adam: $16,200, 21 R (including 1 DD), 2 W (including 1 DD)
Cathy: $13,600, 14 R, 0 W
Jennifer: $12,000, 19 R (including 1 DD), 2 W
Combined Coryat: $41,800

BATTING AVERAGES
Adam: 21/60 = .350
Jennifer: 20/59 = .339
Cathy: 15/58 = .259
Team: 56/63 = .889

MISCELLANEOUS INTERESTING CLUES
SHE-ROES $400: This woman helped liberate 300 slaves before the Civil War

A TEXTBOOK CATEGORY $200: Chapter 3 of "Barron's AP U.S. Government and Politics" is devoted to this document
(Adam: What is the Declaration of Independence?)

A LITTLE OF EVERYTHING $800: The object seen here is used in this craft

ANATOMY $2000: (Kelly of the Clue Crew shows a photograph and brain diagram on the monitor.) In 1861, French surgeon & anthropologist Paul Broca identified the area of the brain now named for him that is responsible for this ability

THAT'S QUITE A MOUTHFUL! $2000: If you know what mucilage is used for in disguises, you know something mucilaginous has this quality
(Jennifer: What is mucousy? What is slimy?)

CORRECT RESPONSES
M.L.K.'s letter from Birmingham jail
Henry Wadsworth Longfellow
Buckingham
pericardium
Sarah Lawrence College
Attica
Puyi
The Poisonwood Bible
the Ganges
Harriet Tubman
the Constitution
crochet
speech

jeff6286
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by jeff6286 » Thu Feb 12, 2015 1:01 pm

World Geography
Not in the 10 longest, this 1,560-mile river in a fertile basin flows by 29 cities of over 100,000 people.

SpoilerShow
What is the Ganges? Adam crossed out Jordan and was writing Ga-- as time ran out.

Game 1 of Finals
Cathy Farrell: $13,600+$5,000=$18,600
Jennifer Giles: $13,400+$9,000=$22,400
Adam Elkana-Hale: $13,000-$10,000=$3,000
Last edited by jeff6286 on Thu Feb 12, 2015 9:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.

grindcore
Some Guy

Post by grindcore » Thu Feb 12, 2015 6:46 pm

Does someone know of a good hole for Adam to climb into? This guy is really visibly hard on himself. Props to Alex for waaaay rubbing it in.

I was raging mad when the third 4-S clue was revealed and it wasn't S's? What the hell gives?

FJ was fairly straightforward but the world "fertile" was staring me in the face and I was almost thinking Euphrates. But the population numbers don't lie, so that's a get for me.

Abraxas

Post by Abraxas » Thu Feb 12, 2015 7:34 pm

What a great first half of the final! All three players were very evenly matched going into FJ. Unfortunately for him, Adam couldn't finish writing "Ganges" for FJ before time expired. I had 36 correct responses including two triple stumpers: Longfellow, and Sarah Lawrence College. I didn't get FJ; I guessed Rhine instead.

Leander

Post by Leander » Thu Feb 12, 2015 7:37 pm

I would have thought a response of "Brad and Angelina" would have prompted a request for their last names.

mxc_takeshi

Post by mxc_takeshi » Thu Feb 12, 2015 7:58 pm

37 right.

She (4), (Text (3), Shakes (4), Star (4), OY (4), Maine (3)
Fiction (3), Ana (1), Every (3), History (1), Silver (5), Mouthful (2)

No Lach Trash.

I went with the Yangtze for FJ (didn't know it was No. 3 in length); I was right in thinking it was in India or China.
Last edited by mxc_takeshi on Thu Feb 12, 2015 8:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Ryno

Post by Ryno » Thu Feb 12, 2015 8:02 pm

Leander wrote:I would have thought a response of "Brad and Angelina" would have prompted a request for their last names.
Then on the next clue, Adam answered with "Pharrell", so these entertainers have reached the Elvis/Oprah level where just the first name is fine.

Great game by all, no Lach Trash.

Got FJ.
One time swimmer in the Jeopardy! pool

TenPoundHammer
Otters are meant to swim

Post by TenPoundHammer » Thu Feb 12, 2015 8:02 pm

Chocolate is the most popular shake?! Not in a million years would I have guessed it. My only miss too.

Once again, Augusta and Richard Burton fail to stick.

Also missed "verses" to go 4/5 in Mouthful.

I misread "summaries" as "submarines" and was heavily confused on Silver Screen for $400.

Lech Walesa baffled me at $400 too.

0/5 in History and 1990s Fiction, but $400 and $1200 rang a bell in the latter.

No guess on FJ! Didn't know where the Ganges is and I keep forgetting that India is so populous.
Ten Pound Hammer

This space for rent

xxaaaxx

Post by xxaaaxx » Thu Feb 12, 2015 8:03 pm

Ryno wrote:
Leander wrote:I would have thought a response of "Brad and Angelina" would have prompted a request for their last names.
Then on the next clue, Adam answered with "Pharrell", so these entertainers have reached the Elvis/Oprah level where just the first name is fine.
They're famous enough as a (super)couple for first names to suffice. At least she didn't say Brangelina (blearrgh, I hated typing that). I think Pharrell was/is just called 'Pharrell' professionally (before "Happy" I didn't even know what his last name was, or that Pharrell was his real name).

FJ took a while, mulling over multiple wrong answers before the '29 cities over 100k' bit finally sank in and led me to the right answer.
grindcore wrote:Does someone know of a good hole for Adam to climb into? This guy is really visibly hard on himself.
As hard as he took it, he would keep digging til it cut straight through to the Indian Ocean. I hope he was able to recover and put up a good fight for the final.

OSXpert

Post by OSXpert » Thu Feb 12, 2015 8:12 pm

Did Adam say "Dulce" (spanish) or "Dolce" (italian)? I thought for sure he was going to get negged later on, but I guess not.

I said Yangtze because I always jump to China when I think about population.

Category 13
Wagering Viking

Post by Category 13 » Thu Feb 12, 2015 8:24 pm

xxaaaxx wrote:
grindcore wrote:Does someone know of a good hole for Adam to climb into? This guy is really visibly hard on himself.
As hard as he took it, he would keep digging til it cut straight through to the Indian Ocean. I hope he was able to recover and put up a good fight for the final.
This was what I was going to comment on as well.

If he get's any DDs in game 2, will he have the courage to wager large? I think he will, but if he misses, it will likely destroy his psyche for the rest of the game.

Robert K S
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by Robert K S » Thu Feb 12, 2015 8:28 pm

How many category names tonight ended with exclamation points?!

Love the ups and downs over the course of the game. Loved the variety of score outcomes. Will make for an exciting last match.

goatman
Man Who Stares At Goats!

Post by goatman » Thu Feb 12, 2015 8:48 pm

The wife thinks that "Brangelina" would even be accepted now, LOL! Super game for goats with 46 R + FJ after some hand-wringing. Key to this FJ was knowing what the top ten longest rivers ARE, so you can dedoose what Aren't,; quickly excluding Nile-Amazon-Yangtze-Mississippi-Yellow-Congo off top of cranium, left wondering WTH fits the TOM?! Considered Indus but the 2.9M+ ppl living along banks sounds more like the intense congestion of India, Pakistan is certainly populous but not as crowded. IMHO this was a terribad clue, extremely vague.

LT: Longfellow; Henry Pu-yi (has been TS twice now!); Athens > Attica.

Fun J! Gets:
SpoilerShow
Anne Frank-Diary; Harriet Tubman - Pic; Maria Von Trapp - Edith Cavell = Nurse; Constitution most logical topic for discussion of a full chapter in text; organic Chemistry; urban planning; Abnormal psychology; MLK Birmingham jail letter; Strawberry = #1 smoothie; chocolate = #1 shake; smores; Dairy Queen Blizzard; Wendy's Frosties; "Dulce de Leche" = FR: sweet for milk.
Toyota Highalnder/Land Cruiser; ND Unemployment <3% since they found oil!; "Kilroy was here; Mr & Mrs = Pitt & Jolie; Richard Burton married Liz Taylor twice; King Priam > Troy, film and city; Brass = Alloy; Kate Winslet wedding to Mendes (DiCaprio came but not as groom, later she married 'Rocknroll,' lol). LOL @ George Lucan "Skywalker Ranch wedding," but no get, meh.

Nailed 5/5 Maine with Augusta, Lobster = Homarus Americanus; Appalachian Trail, 1820 MISSOURI compromise; Henry Wadsworth Longfellow: Evangeline.
DJ Fun:
SpoilerShow
Vinometer > Wine; crochet hook; Mughal; Crete = 5th largest med island, largest of Greece; Lech Walesa 99 > Kosovo; Clam on Duke of Buckingham.
1960 > Psycho; 1941 > Citizen Kane; no get on weird clue for 1959 Some Like it Hot, likewise mystified by The Help clue, sigh.
Nailed 5 anatomy with Mandible-Jugular veins- pericardium-Renal> Kidney; Broca's Speech area 1861.
Funny words 'acceptilate' > Debt; Leave (Stem); Nepho- = clouds; Song >Verses. Tom Clancy Sum of All Fears, and Along Came A SPIDER, w/ Alex Cross by James Patterson.
Clam on John Grisham Pelican Brief and NHO The Poisonwood Bible by Barbara Kingsolver, I woulda gone for Mosquito Coast but clammed on that too so no harm , no foul, lol.
On google tonight typing in 'poison' brings it up as top hit, so I reckon a lotta folks went to look this one up!
Tough break for Adam, I can see he went for Ganges with about 3s left on clock, he will have to scramble to beat the ladies on Friday! Good retroluck peeps!
The corridors of my mind are plastered with 3M Post-It notes!

zakharov

Post by zakharov » Thu Feb 12, 2015 10:18 pm

27 right in round 1 but only 14 in DJ. Would have gotten Sarah Lawrence if they'd said Bronxville. Missed with the Yangtze on Final - I didn't know it was the third longest!

Three really great players in the final. Can't wait for tomorrow.
4-time pool swimmer - last audition June 2019
Follow me on Twitter @JakeMHS

WooWho?
Jeopardy! Almost-Champion

Post by WooWho? » Thu Feb 12, 2015 10:31 pm

All right, he's said it. But now I wonder--has anyone EVER won a tournament after being stuck in a distant third after Day One?
アタックチャンス!

countyguy
Vacuously Undefeated on J!

Post by countyguy » Thu Feb 12, 2015 10:56 pm

WooWho? wrote:All right, he's said it. But now I wonder--has anyone EVER won a tournament after being stuck in a distant third after Day One?
This game/tournament is one example of someone winning a tournament from a distant third after Day One. Leonard Cooper's win of the Teen Tourney was also from a distant third after Day One.

You can find out about many other comebacks in tournament finals here.

MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett » Thu Feb 12, 2015 11:04 pm

grindcore wrote:
I was raging mad when the third 4-S clue was revealed and it wasn't S's? What the hell gives?
The category was SUCCINCT SILVER SCREEN SUMMARIES. Since it was a lot to say, Alex asked the players to select it as "4 S." Yes, the first two clues had words starting with the letter S. The pattern changed for the third clue. The writers knew there would be viewers who would misinterpret the category and have certain expectations after the $400 and $800 clues, so it was a pointed effort to upset those expecting order and consistency.

I guess the clue should have been (someone else can add a verb or two):

1959: Sugar, saxophone, Spats, Sweet Sue, Society Syncopators

$1600 clue's possible S's - 2011: Stockett summer sleeper, Spencer, Stone, Sissy Spacek, Skeeter

$2000 - 1948: Stinking (is all I have)

Anatomy $400 sounded like an Alex dub reread.

I guess Adam was on winter break and missed this game's FJ! clue?: http://www.j-archive.com/showgame.php?game_id=3791

The FJ! clue was guess time for me. I have not seen it mentioned yet, so I suppose I was way off base in many ways writing "Mekong."

Nice job by the players to be competitive and go 2/3 on the clue. It's still advantage outchange. Jennifer likes to bet. If she does not win it should not be because of any conservative wagers.

As J! ends and goes to the Sony logo there is a brief pause and the logo and sound finish. I find it annoying and irksome so a rude gesture to the computer programmer and suits who pull in big bucks just to show off and tinker with something for no good reason.

cosmos

Post by cosmos » Thu Feb 12, 2015 11:35 pm

OSXpert wrote:Did Adam say "Dulce" (spanish) or "Dolce" (italian)? I thought for sure he was going to get negged later on, but I guess not.
"Dolce" (Italian). I checked several sources in dictionaries and cooking videos on YouTube, nobody pronounces it the way Adam did.

The following might not be definitive but it's typical of many:

How to Pronounce Dulce de Leche

Dolce vita for Adam. :D

econgator
Let's Go Mets!

Post by econgator » Thu Feb 12, 2015 11:47 pm

MarkBarrett wrote:The FJ! clue was guess time for me. I have not seen it mentioned yet, so I suppose I was way off base in many ways writing "Mekong."
Mine was a guess, too: the Yellow (which is #6, by the way -- oops!).