LL64: For the LLamas Among Us

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

ThreeIfByAir
Jeopardy! Champion

Re: LL64: For the LLamas Among Us

Post by ThreeIfByAir »

Kicked myself on the math question -- I envisioned the quadrilateral, even saw a bracing structure across it as in a normal kite, and wrote 'shield'. I should have remembered that kites and darts are used in Penrose tiling. (I would assume that 'dart' would be an acceptable answer here.)

Had no idea on the pop music one, and can't even claim that I'm from the wrong country or the wrong age this time! I was a British teenager in the eighties and should have known it... except for the fact that I was ridiculously conservative as a teenager and refused to listen to pop music. Wrote 'So U Thant U Can Dance' as a BWA attempt and was beaten by a better U Thant reference :)

As for gefilte, it was obvious once the word popped into my head, given that Yiddish is closely related to German and German uses a 'ge-' prefix for past participles. Filled = stuffed? Very likely. And so it was. With that said, I'm very aware of the problem of too much knowledge: Big Ben haunts me.

UniquePerspective
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by UniquePerspective »

I very well might just be the worst player to start 3-1 ever. I almost certainly would've, and should've gone 1-3, maybe even 0-4 in most situations. I some how pulled Selassie, but it was sort of a WAG, as I thought Selassie ruled later than the creation of the Rastafari movement. I just pulled him out because he was the only African emperor I knew.

TheyCallMeMrKid
Swimming in the Jeopardy! Pool

Post by TheyCallMeMrKid »

UniquePerspective wrote:I've had a very weird start in good old D Horizon. 0, 3, 1, and today's game. And some how I started 2-0 thanks to playing a likely pavano.

(When do I play ThreeIfBySea, tjconn, and TheyCallMeMrKid? I'm FriedmanJ)
Welcome back, U.P. You could've looked in your LL profile under "Referrals" to see who I was, since you were the one who provided my referral. :D
ThreeIfByAir wrote:
MrKid is BrickeyD; the first thing I'll do when I wake up tomorrow morning is see how I did against him.
Well, you got me. I've had a terrible start (0-4), only ahead of a couple of forfeiting players in our rundle. :oops: I am leading all of Horizon in MCWs, though!

I got kite quickly (remembering H.S. geometry) and although I didn't recognize them, two old white brothers must be Koch. Then I started thinking a little too much. Kite, Koch...is Thorsten having a little fun by making all of the answers start with "k" two days after having a question about Potassium?

I didn't know #1, but thought it could be "King" somebody
I didn't know #2, but thought "knish" might be a Yiddish word (And I obviously didn't really know what a knish was either)
This logic was starting to look really good... :oops:

On question #5, the logic started slipping, because although I didn't know the answer immediately, the names sounded like they were probably in some English speaking country, which made me think it was probably US or Canada, but I couldn't think of any significant lakes that started with "K". Figured I just didn't know this, and hedged my all-in on the "k" theory with a WAG of Lake Superior.

#6 was my big error, although it wouldn't have mattered in the match results. The "controversial" part of the clue threw me, because I couldn't think of any band that was even in the same league of controversy as the Sex Pistols. The Burmese TOM actually did get me to Bow Wow Wow, as that was the only group I could think of with an Asian-looking female member. I had no idea whether they were controversial or not, though. So instead of typing "Bow Wow Wow", I decided to stick with my "k" theory and typed "The Knack".
Sheepin' it real.

ElendilPickle
ToC Enabler

Post by ElendilPickle »

The only one I got right was Selassie - went for matzoh over gefilte and X-Ray Spex instead of Bow Wow Wow. I remembered "C-30, C-60, C-90 Go" was controversial at the time, too.

Oh, well, we still managed to tie.

Dr. J
Decade Battler and Mustache Maker

Post by Dr. J »

Got suckered into parallelogram and knish. I knew Bow Wow Wow's singer was Asian, and when I thought about their music and Adam Ant's sound, I figured it had to be right.

jkbrat
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by jkbrat »

seaborgium wrote:
DadofTwins wrote:On the river, I remembered an old Sesame Street song about Spanish names for fruit, so I tried to find something having to do with apples in a Spanish speaking country.
Fun fact: manzana means "apple," manzano means "apple tree," and manzanar means "apple orchard."
And manzanita ("little apple") is a shrubbish tree with beautiful red-hued bark and miniature apple-like berries. (Learning this factoid was my first introduction to the manzana <-> apple connection, and manzanita is still one of the few plants I can identify reliably when hiking).

(Not that it helped me in LL as I blithely dismissed Madrid for Mexico City :cry: )
There are times I almost think I am not sure of what I absolutely knooooooooo-OW

Learn, Review, Repeat

A Archipelago

This Is Kirk!
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by This Is Kirk! »

I just realized while I was reading this thread the song "I Want Candy" was playing on some TV commercial. I don't think it was the Bow Wow Wow version, but still strange!

ElendilPickle
ToC Enabler

Post by ElendilPickle »

This Is Kirk! wrote:I just realized while I was reading this thread the song "I Want Candy" was playing on some TV commercial. I don't think it was the Bow Wow Wow version, but still strange!
The Bow Wow Wow version is played all the time on our local '80s channel. :oops:

alietr
Site Admin

Post by alietr »

ElendilPickle wrote:
This Is Kirk! wrote:I just realized while I was reading this thread the song "I Want Candy" was playing on some TV commercial. I don't think it was the Bow Wow Wow version, but still strange!
The Bow Wow Wow version is played all the time on our local '80s channel. :oops:
As well it should be! Well, that and Do You Wanna Hold Me.

alietr
Site Admin

Post by alietr »

I really didn't expect to get a win in A with 2 correct, but I will take it. DEE-fense!

boson
Trivial

Post by boson »

Turning in my computer geek card: I missed "echo". It has been far too long since I've used command line tools.
I was also informed by my rundlemate (and mate) that there are several bottles of the listed nail polish on the bathroom shelf. Learn something new everyday!

UniquePerspective

Post by UniquePerspective »

I'm 0-0-1 so far against boardies.

LOST happens to be one of my favorite TV shows of all time, so clearly that was probably going to be the only one I got right. Wasn't sure for the war one if it was the Civil War (hence why I said United States), or earlier than that.

tjconn728

Post by tjconn728 »

UniquePerspective wrote:I'm 0-0-1 so far against boardies.

LOST happens to be one of my favorite TV shows of all time, so clearly that was probably going to be the only one I got right. Wasn't sure for the war one if it was the Civil War (hence why I said United States), or earlier than that.
So I guess you missed the part about it being the first war fought primarily on foreign soil? ;)

Although I never got into the series I did see the first episode of Lost, but it still didn't ring a bell. I'm pretty good with modern TV shows so I figured it was something older and went with MASH instead since medic+bamboo=medical show set in Asia. Not that it mattered, since you gave me 0 for that one anyway. Overall, it was another pretty hard day (thought of Hong Kong and nail polish but opted for London and purses instead) so I was happy to pull out a tie.

teapot37

Post by teapot37 »

boson wrote:Turning in my computer geek card: I missed "echo". It has been far too long since I've used command line tools.
Ditto. I knew the clue repetition was supposed to be a clue, but I couldn't suss it out.
Not many people can say they've lost four times on Jeopardy!.

skullturf
Married to a Jeopardy! Champion

Post by skullturf »

I got that the repetition was a hint, but I almost said "copy" instead of "echo", and I'm slightly surprised that that wasn't the most common wrong answer.

DadofTwins

Post by DadofTwins »

skullturf wrote:I got that the repetition was a hint, but I almost said "copy" instead of "echo", and I'm slightly surprised that that wasn't the most common wrong answer.
I a) didn't know, and b) surmised from the TOM that it must be a 2-letter word that was repeated.

One of these years I'm going to make "learn to code" a New Year's Resolution.

econgator
Let's Go Mets!

Post by econgator »

skullturf wrote: I'm slightly surprised that that wasn't the most common wrong answer.
So was I. If guessing the BWA was an FJ question, I'd've went all-in.

TomKBaltimoreBoy
Lucky to be Here

Post by TomKBaltimoreBoy »

alietr wrote:I really didn't expect to get a win in A with 2 correct, but I will take it. DEE-fense!
Which is how I lost yesterday -- the group leader played much better D.....

Is it wrong to notice that a certain remorseless answer machine in LL63 is now 0-3-2 and in the relegation bracket? Too bad.

Thought for sure I'd get a BWA for "Lili von Shtupp". You kids have no appreciation for the classics...
Last edited by TomKBaltimoreBoy on Tue Feb 24, 2015 11:32 am, edited 1 time in total.
Life IS pain, Princess. Anyone telling you differently is selling something.

TheyCallMeMrKid

Post by TheyCallMeMrKid »

I'd like to thank Sally Hansen for my first victory of the season.

I'm not a programmer, but got Q6 completely off the TOM.

As many others on the LL board did, I went for a BWA with Norma Schwarzkopf.
Sheepin' it real.

Woof

Post by Woof »

I dithered for a time with more, but talked myself out of it because of the reference to printing a string to stdout. Taking another look at the Commish's hint, I managed to talk myself into echo. There's no doubt that writing a few hundred shell scripts over the years was of benefit there.