LL64: For the LLamas Among Us

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

jfrumkin
Jeopardy! Champion

Re: LL64: For the LLamas Among Us

Post by jfrumkin »

TheyCallMeMrKid wrote:
BigDaddyMatty wrote:I really have to stop changing answers. I figured that the correct answer to the hip hop question was The Wu-Tang Clan, but I got hung up on the quotation marks around "solo," thinking that it must be a TOM. I ended up switching at the last moment to OutKast--who is more "solo" than an outcast, after all?--and immediately regretted it.
I also thought there must've been something to the quotation marks around "solo". Even after seeing the answer, though, I don't know what the reason for them was. Anyone?
They had a bajillion members who also had (and continue to have) successful solo careers. Didn't seem to be anyone else who fit. Plus, you should always pick them because I've heard they ain't nothing to, well, something with. Easily the most chaotic concert I've ever seen (they were opening for Rage Against The Machine): there were maybe 30 people on stage including a small kid who, for some reason, had a microphone and kept yelling "yeah" over and over so you couldn't actually hear anything.
Twitter: @jfrumkin
kristinsausville
2015 TOC'er

Post by kristinsausville »

An unfortunate casualty of the site outage -- my rookie referrals SimsR and EwingM were not only slated to face each other on TV, but in LL as well. I wonder if that's ever happened before?
Follow me on Twitter: @ksausville
ihavejeoprosy
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by ihavejeoprosy »

kristinsausville wrote:An unfortunate casualty of the site outage -- my rookie referrals SimsR and EwingM were not only slated to face each other on TV, but in LL as well. I wonder if that's ever happened before?
Well, that sounds kind of awkward.
Please follow me on Twitter @Cinjeopardy
Total game show losings: $25 K
Woof
Swimming in the Jeopardy! Pool

Post by Woof »

TheyCallMeMrKid wrote:
BigDaddyMatty wrote:I really have to stop changing answers. I figured that the correct answer to the hip hop question was The Wu-Tang Clan, but I got hung up on the quotation marks around "solo," thinking that it must be a TOM. I ended up switching at the last moment to OutKast--who is more "solo" than an outcast, after all?--and immediately regretted it.
I also thought there must've been something to the quotation marks around "solo". Even after seeing the answer, though, I don't know what the reason for them was. Anyone?
Many of the other Wu-Tang members would appear on another's "solo" record. So, not officially Wu-Tang, but close...
OldSchoolChamp
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by OldSchoolChamp »

Woof wrote:I will miss not having my BWA attempt for the mis-aptly named candy judged ("crack")
Mine was “Reese’s Feces.” Don’t know if anyone else finds it funny, but I’m still laughing every time I think of it.
We shall not cease from exploration,
And the end of all our exploring
Will be to arrive where we started
And know the place for the first time.
BigDaddyMatty
Hoping not to get pruney this time

Post by BigDaddyMatty »

OldSchoolChamp wrote:
Woof wrote:I will miss not having my BWA attempt for the mis-aptly named candy judged ("crack")
Mine was “Reese’s Feces.” Don’t know if anyone else finds it funny, but I’m still laughing every time I think of it.
I thought I had a real shot with "Wiry Introvert, Mercilessly Pounded."
Sprinkles are for winners.
Linear Gnome
One Miner Gal

Post by Linear Gnome »

BigDaddyMatty wrote:
OldSchoolChamp wrote:
I left that one blank, but probably should have gone with "Where is my pizza?".
ElendilPickle
ToC Enabler

Post by ElendilPickle »

Linear Gnome wrote:
BigDaddyMatty wrote:
OldSchoolChamp wrote:
I left that one blank, but probably should have gone with "Where is my pizza?".
I did go with "Where is my pizza?" :)
This Is Kirk!
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by This Is Kirk! »

jfrumkin wrote:
goforthetie wrote:Do people really remember Kochel numbers for various works? I didn't know where to start with that one.
I got it on a relative guess -- just that it was a high number so I figured it was late in his career and that particular work seemed like one that was of enough note that it could be an answer.
Same for me. When I first saw it my reaction was "how the heck is anyone going to know that?" Then I thought about it a little more. Classic Thorsten question, I think.
TheyCallMeMrKid

Post by TheyCallMeMrKid »

This Is Kirk! wrote:
jfrumkin wrote:
goforthetie wrote:Do people really remember Kochel numbers for various works? I didn't know where to start with that one.
I got it on a relative guess -- just that it was a high number so I figured it was late in his career and that particular work seemed like one that was of enough note that it could be an answer.
Same for me. When I first saw it my reaction was "how the heck is anyone going to know that?" Then I thought about it a little more. Classic Thorsten question, I think.
So was "Requiem" alone considered sufficient?
boson
Trivial

Post by boson »

TheyCallMeMrKid wrote:
This Is Kirk! wrote:
jfrumkin wrote:
So was "Requiem" alone considered sufficient?
Yup.
seaborgium
Undefeated in Reruns

Post by seaborgium »

I would have responded "Requiem Mass" to that, because I consider "Requiem" on its own to be a Latin title.
ThreeIfByAir
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by ThreeIfByAir »

Looks like we should be back up next week sometime. By my calculations, assuming that MD14 is on Thursday 3/19 or earlier, there are sufficient non-holiday off-days that we'll be back on schedule by LL66. A few 1DSs will have to be moved around, but there's an obvious way to do it.

In the meantime, I've smithed a quick LLamadan 1DS over there. Hopefully others will do the same.
Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Post by Bamaman »

fowlerism

Post by fowlerism »

Looks like Thorsten's scheduled the resumption of play for next Wednesday the 18th. He's also shifted some of the One Days Special and Mini Leagues around on the calendar as well, it looks like.
TheyCallMeMrKid

Post by TheyCallMeMrKid »

The site is still saying that tomorrow is the tentative start-up date, but having received no update e-mails from the Commisioner, I am skeptical.
Sheepin' it real.
econgator
Let's Go Mets!

Post by econgator »

TheyCallMeMrKid wrote:The site is still saying that tomorrow is the tentative start-up date, but having received no update e-mails from the Commisioner, I am skeptical.
I got one on the 14th.
Linear Gnome
One Miner Gal

Post by Linear Gnome »

I just played Match Day 14!
dhkendall
Pursuing the Dream

Post by dhkendall »

Linear Gnome wrote:I just played Match Day 14!
Same here! I saw the restart was scheduled for today, and I had every hope it would be (complete with a shortly-after-midnight-Central-Time email as per usual), This is Thorsten's livelihood and baby, he wouldn't want to leave it for any longer than he had to - if he set a date, I'd expect him to follow up on it, considering the site has been working during the down time.
"Jeopardy! is two parts luck and one part luck" - Me

"The way to win on Jeopardy is to be a rabidly curious, information-omnivorous person your entire life." - Ken Jennings

Follow my progress game by game since 2012
This Is Kirk!
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by This Is Kirk! »

Yep, good to be back. I'm energized and ready to go. Time to dig myself out of the hole I've created in the first 13 match days!