LL64: For the LLamas Among Us

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

This Is Kirk!
Jeopardy! Champion

Re: LL64: For the LLamas Among Us

Post by This Is Kirk! »

Volante wrote:
This Is Kirk! wrote:Extracts MD10, Q6: how the heck did so many people know this? I've never even heard of Robert Durst.
You mean the guy who just had a documentary based on his alleged crimes aired...and was summarily arrested for said crimes?
Huh, never heard about it.
tjconn728
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by tjconn728 »

This Is Kirk! wrote:
Volante wrote:
This Is Kirk! wrote:Extracts MD10, Q6: how the heck did so many people know this? I've never even heard of Robert Durst.
You mean the guy who just had a documentary based on his alleged crimes aired...and was summarily arrested for said crimes?
Huh, never heard about it.
That's how I feel about most of the art questions in regular season. Although I've been racking up three pointers in the Mini League thanks to my horrendous lifetime percentage and Hicks's ability to pick artwork I actually recognize and know the creator of.
TheyCallMeMrKid
Swimming in the Jeopardy! Pool

Post by TheyCallMeMrKid »

Volante wrote:
And the AP initially reported that the alleged murderer was Fred Durst, former frontman for Limp Bizkit, which was amusing.

But I didn't remember his name either. My answer of "that guy who was recently the subject of a documentary and confessed in the bathroom while wearing a microphone from the documentary" was not accepted.
Sheepin' it real.
boson
Trivial

Post by boson »

I can't even understand what most of these spoken extracts are saying. Mumbled talking with background noise played from my phone or laptop with no context makes me pick the wrong word every time there is a possibility of misunderstanding. I don't think this part of the extracts ML is enjoyable for me at all.
TomKBaltimoreBoy
Lucky to be Here

Post by TomKBaltimoreBoy »

Got one question wrong in Style yesterday... and fell from first to fourth in my group. (The miracle is that I was in first EVER, for those who have seen me shop for clothes.) Stella Zawistowski continues her unintentional one-woman crusade against my trivia contestant self-image.
Life IS pain, Princess. Anyone telling you differently is selling something.
fowlerism

Post by fowlerism »

boson wrote:I can't even understand what most of these spoken extracts are saying. Mumbled talking with background noise played from my phone or laptop with no context makes me pick the wrong word every time there is a possibility of misunderstanding. I don't think this part of the extracts ML is enjoyable for me at all.
On at least two occasions, I have had no clue on a spoken question until I listened using headphones.
schoe
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by schoe »

Is everyone just playing Extracts and no one playing Conic Books? :P
TheyCallMeMrKid

TomKBaltimoreBoy wrote:Got one question wrong in Style yesterday... and fell from first to fourth in my group. (The miracle is that I was in first EVER, for those who have seen me shop for clothes.) Stella Zawistowski continues her unintentional one-woman crusade against my trivia contestant self-image.
With an incredible amount of luck, I am flirting with the playoffs in Style. Seemingly strange distribution of players in our division: 4 A, 1 B, 1 C, 4 D (including me) and 2 E Rundlers. I guess the better players are more likely to jump into all of the mini-leagues and one-days? I've managed to go 3-2-1 vs. the A/B/C players (including defeating one HolznagelF), winning matches with scores like 4(3)-3(3) and 4(2)-2(3). I've been outscored 21(16)-26(21) combined in those matches vs. the higher rundle players. Sitting in 4th right now, but only 1 point plus the tiebreaker from 2nd, with the "harder" part of my schedule now complete. ("So you're saying there's a chance?")

Also had another case last week of researching questions for my own TD giving me points in LL! (Bobbi Brown for 3 points, if any of you remember her from one of my TDs).
Sheepin' it real.
teapot37
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by teapot37 »

schoe wrote:Is everyone just playing Extracts and no one playing Conic Books? :P
I'm in that too. Currently sitting in 3rd.

I'm in 1st in my group in Extracts and am a lock for the Championship round (for the first time - I have a history of 3rd place group finishes). I am also doing quite well in the concurrent Best Bunny competition. I guess Hicks writes the kinds of questions I know how to answer.
Not many people can say they've lost four times on Jeopardy!.
This Is Kirk!
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by This Is Kirk! »

schoe wrote:Is everyone just playing Extracts and no one playing Conic Books? :P
Nah, I only read rectangular books.
TomKBaltimoreBoy
Lucky to be Here

Post by TomKBaltimoreBoy »

I'm playing it; like everyone else, I said Elektra instead of Frank Miller. Otherwise, I'm doing OK.
Life IS pain, Princess. Anyone telling you differently is selling something.
econgator
Let's Go Mets!

Post by econgator »

I'm playing -- and sucking at -- both.
econgator
Let's Go Mets!

Post by econgator »

TheyCallMeMrKid wrote:But I didn't remember his name either. My answer of "that guy who was recently the subject of a documentary and confessed in the bathroom while wearing a microphone from the documentary" was not accepted.
Me neither. It sounded like he was in a bathroom, so I went with Larry Craig ...
ElendilPickle
ToC Enabler

Post by ElendilPickle »

TomKBaltimoreBoy wrote:Got one question wrong in Style yesterday... and fell from first to fourth in my group. (The miracle is that I was in first EVER, for those who have seen me shop for clothes.) Stella Zawistowski continues her unintentional one-woman crusade against my trivia contestant self-image.
I'm currently in second place in my group, which surprises me as well.

This is my first ML - how do playoffs work? How many people get in?
MinnesotaMyron
JBOARDIE OF THE MONTH!

Post by MinnesotaMyron »

ElendilPickle wrote:
I'm currently in second place in my group, which surprises me as well.

This is my first ML - how do playoffs work? How many people get in?
Top 2 from every group play a 1-Day style final. Here is the Myths and Legends Championship, for example. The question level tends to be ramped up from regular day play.
ElendilPickle
ToC Enabler

Post by ElendilPickle »

MinnesotaMyron wrote:Top 2 from every group play a 1-Day style final. Here is the Myths and Legends Championship, for example. The question level tends to be ramped up from regular day play.
Thanks. So is that what is happening May 4th?
Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Post by Bamaman »

ElendilPickle wrote:
MinnesotaMyron wrote:Top 2 from every group play a 1-Day style final. Here is the Myths and Legends Championship, for example. The question level tends to be ramped up from regular day play.
Thanks. So is that what is happening May 4th?
Extracts final is Wednesday
Style final is May 4
Comic book final is May 7
Winchell Factor
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by Winchell Factor »

Rafferty Barnes wrote:I prefer to only refer people I know so they know it will be easy for me to hunt them down and administer my wrath if they dare forfeit.
Duly noted, Megan.
TheyCallMeMrKid

Style Match Day 9

Had a brief thought of, "an American school with an official tartan? Is there a Scottish school in the US? University of Edinbugh NY?", but got nowhere. Thought Harvard would be TOO obvious, so took a WAG of Stanford. Not sure I would've ever gotten to Andrew Carnegie / Carnegie Mellon anyway, but a forehead slap after the reveal. And that kept me from drinking my first beer, and led to a 6(5)-7(5) loss. :(
Sheepin' it real.
fowlerism

Post by fowlerism »

I somehow managed to qualify for the Extracts championship. I knew I was screwed when I saw the questions. Tough set! I am proud to have gotten the Wild Strawberries question, but I was too chicken to money it.

I thought Hicks's lipogrammatic post-mortem was great, but it was missing my favorite part, which is his no-nonsense "what were the clues on this question" writeups. Anybody want to take a stab at such a thing for this championship set?

Congrats to all the boardies who made the championship, most of whom (all?) did better than I.