Last Night's J! parody on the SNL 40th Anniversary Special

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

davey
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Last Night's J! parody on the SNL 40th Anniversary Special

Post by davey »

This Is Kirk!
Jeopardy! Champion

Re: Last Night's J! parody on the SNL 40th Anniversary Special

Post by This Is Kirk! »

Not their best, but it had its moments! :)
hscer

Post by hscer »

This Is Kirk! wrote:Not their best, but it had its moments! :)
Absolutely. The last one in 2009 was better, but this was good.

I love how Norm Macdonald keeps reprising his Burt Reynolds role for these too.
Now Completed: TD 224 - Airplane!
Coming Eventually: hscer's 3rd TD

Twitter: http://twitter.com/hscer
Sporcle: http://www.sporcle.com/user/hscer
dhkendall
Pursuing the Dream

Post by dhkendall »

Not enough cowbell Sean Connery to make it good. (Burt Reynolds (and Trebek, of course) was, of course, awesome, and had the right amount of screen time). Get rid of Matthew Mcconaughey, Justin Bieber, Tony Bennett and whoever the other one was that replaced Bieber, have the whole show just Turd and Sean annoying Trebek, that's how you write one of those sketches.
"Jeopardy! is two parts luck and one part luck" - Me

"The way to win on Jeopardy is to be a rabidly curious, information-omnivorous person your entire life." - Ken Jennings

Follow my progress game by game since 2012
hscer

Post by hscer »

dhkendall wrote:
Not enough cowbell Sean Connery to make it good. (Burt Reynolds (and Trebek, of course) was, of course, awesome, and had the right amount of screen time). Get rid of Matthew Mcconaughey, Justin Bieber, Tony Bennett and whoever the other one was that replaced Bieber, have the whole show just Turd and Sean annoying Trebek, that's how you write one of those sketches.
Yeah it was the longest they've done and they didn't even have time for a Final Jeopardy. Could have done without Carrey as MacCougnaghanaheehaheyheyheygoodbye...

Blue Lion

Post by Blue Lion »

I loved the line about Tony Bennett's score: “so low, it can't be represented by a real number.”
davey

Post by davey »

dhkendall wrote:
"Whoever" is the Academy Award-winning actor Christoph Waltz, and Taran Killam nailed it.
Silverfox
Don't Step on My Tail!

Post by Silverfox »

I laughed out loud. Will Farrell never broke out of his character. He seemed really exasperated.
Be alert. Stupid never takes a day off!
opusthepenguin
The Best Darn Penguin on the Whole JBoard

Post by opusthepenguin »

dhkendall wrote:
There needs to be a third contestant. May I suggest Mike Tyson?
This Is Kirk!
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by This Is Kirk! »

Tony Bennett was funny (using the buzzer as a mic was great). Bieber was pretty bad.
Sherm

Post by Sherm »

hscer wrote:

I've read that the original Jeopardy sketch was written primarly by Norm MacDonald to do his Burt Reynolds. The first Jeopary sketch they ever did Hammond (Sean Connery) wasn't in it. The second time they did the sketch was the first time that included the "Turd Furgeson" bit, and Connery was in it. After that it turned into a Connery/Trebek thing.
Tpmorrison
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by Tpmorrison »

davey wrote:
dhkendall wrote:
"Whoever" is the Academy Award-winning actor Christoph Waltz, and Taran Killam nailed it.
Absolutely, Taran Killam's impression of Waltz is spot-on. I was bummed that Killam didnt do his McConaughey impression instead of Carrey (who does a very nice one himself), as Killam's is one of the best impression I've ever heard anyone do of anyone (seriously, I highly recommend googling it if you haven't seen it)
hscer

Post by hscer »

Sherm wrote:
hscer wrote:

I've read that the original Jeopardy sketch was written primarly by Norm MacDonald to do his Burt Reynolds. The first Jeopary sketch they ever did Hammond (Sean Connery) wasn't in it. The second time they did the sketch was the first time that included the "Turd Furgeson" bit, and Connery was in it. After that it turned into a Connery/Trebek thing.
Yes and no. It was definitely a Macdonald vehicle to start. Hammond was Connery in the first one (http://screen.yahoo.com/celebrity-jeopa ... 00211.html), but he was just the typical celebrity dunce, and Hammond played a couple other celebrities in the next couple sketches. They were popular enough that when Macdonald was dropped from the show, the sketches kept going. Hammond reprised the Connery role at that point and the Connery-Trebek rivalry developed from there. And I think Turd Ferguson wasn't until the episode Macdonald returned as host, but I don't know for sure.

The sketch actually has its own Wikipedia article with way more info than this :P http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Celebrity_ ... ight_Live)

Volante
Harbinger of the Doomed Lemur

Post by Volante »

My only complaint is they spent too long on the J! round and never even made it to FJ!
And not one clue crew or Oprah question in the bunch!!

(We got -two- misread categories though, so that was nice. :lol: )
The best thing that Neil Armstrong ever did, was to let us all imagine we were him.
Latest movies (1-10): WIthnail & I (7), An Autumn Afternoon (7), Europa Europa (7), Tampopo (9)
JeopardyBill
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by JeopardyBill »

I could be mistaken, but I think this might have been the only version of this skit in which a clue from Potent Potables was actually revealed.
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

There was a lot to take in during the 3.5 hours. For a future J! clue I would expect the writers to cook up something from the special. It may be as simple as asking for the show itself celebrating 40 years and getting big ratings for NBC or something that involves more detail from the event.

At the minimum having watched it should help me with future TD questions.

The J! parody had me learning about handwriting analysis in yellow snow. I also had a flashback to Super J! with more than three podierns.
reddpen
Thrice Unplucked from the Jeopardy! Pool

Post by reddpen »

The yellow snow line was probably my biggest laugh of the show. Had to explain it to my 17-y-o son.
In and out of the pool four times
dhkendall
Pursuing the Dream

Post by dhkendall »

Tpmorrison wrote:
davey wrote:
dhkendall wrote:
Absolutely, Taran Killam's impression of Waltz is spot-on. I was bummed that Killam didnt do his McConaughey impression instead of Carrey (who does a very nice one himself), as Killam's is one of the best impression I've ever heard anyone do of anyone (seriously, I highly recommend googling it if you haven't seen it)
Oh, I don't doubt the impressions were spot on, but they didn't have the certain quality that made a good Celebrity J! sketch; they were just doing impressions, Farrell, Hammond, and MacDonald were doing characters.
"Jeopardy! is two parts luck and one part luck" - Me

"The way to win on Jeopardy is to be a rabidly curious, information-omnivorous person your entire life." - Ken Jennings

Follow my progress game by game since 2012
Robert K S
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by Robert K S »

I had the feeling that there was no sketch on the 40th special that was meant to be funny. The only goal was nostalgia. "Hey, look, here are a bunch of people who are still alive, and they're willing to come back and do that thing again one more time. So watch. Oh, the blender isn't rated for two fish at a time? Cut to commercial."

Bigups to Aykroyd for shaving his mustache in the middle of the show to go from Ronco guy to Elwood Blues. Suck it, Trebek.

(ETA: Still doesn't beat the time Galifanikis shaved his head to play Mr. T in a sketch that ended up being cut. But I guess he grew it back.)