Thursday, February 19, 2015 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

Robert K S
Jeopardy! Champion

Re: Thursday, February 19, 2015 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

Post by Robert K S » Thu Feb 19, 2015 9:42 pm

cosmos wrote:The top row clue in compter history took an eternity to read...
It actually wasn't the top row--they picked $1600 then $1200... but boo just the same. Woulda killed to get that category in one of my shows. Would have danced around the podiums.

dhkendall
Pursuing the Dream

Post by dhkendall » Thu Feb 19, 2015 10:03 pm

TheyCallMeMrKid wrote:Shocked at the stand and stare for a hyphenated "W" North Carolina city.
I answered Wilkes-Barre. :oops:
"Jeopardy! is two parts luck and one part luck" - Me

"The way to win on Jeopardy is to be a rabidly curious, information-omnivorous person your entire life." - Ken Jennings

Follow my progress game by game since 2012

Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Post by Bamaman » Thu Feb 19, 2015 10:10 pm

Robert K S wrote:
cosmos wrote:The top row clue in compter history took an eternity to read...
It actually wasn't the top row--they picked $1600 then $1200... but boo just the same. Woulda killed to get that category in one of my shows. Would have danced around the podiums.
For $1,600, name a computer related company known by three initials.

For $1,200, who was elected president in 1952?

Was this category left over from Kids' Week?

Figured out L. of G. pretty quickly. I also first thought Darwin was Whitman. until he read the clue.

Stanislaus Jacob
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by Stanislaus Jacob » Thu Feb 19, 2015 10:10 pm

I haven't researched this at all, but I am very skeptical that pollsters in 1952 were calling the election for Stevenson. If they had, wouldn't that just be as famous as the bad predictions in favor of Dewey in 1948? At least Dewey kept it close.

Edit: I seem to be correct, although the final poll was closer than the final results: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Historical ... on.2C_1952

trainman
Moderator Extraordinaire

Post by trainman » Thu Feb 19, 2015 10:42 pm

TheyCallMeMrKid wrote:Shocked at the stand and stare for a hyphenated "W" North Carolina city.
It's worse than a stand-and-stare -- Sam rang in and guessed Raleigh-Durham. Alex noted it doesn't begin with W, but another problem is that Raleigh-Durham isn't a city.

MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett » Thu Feb 19, 2015 10:47 pm

I don't have an Australian to English dictionary handy, anyone have a problem with ranch on the station clue that went to farm?

Did Sam set the 31-season record for most ill-timed "What is" calls?

I took the wrong guess on the Robin Williams rat clue negging with Chuck E. Cheese, but at least I finally got one of those Asimov clues right.

My FJ! guess was way off on another continent. I took the "yr's" to be some kind of European speak shortening and I guessed Dylan Thomas over Robert Burns. "Hackling" also did not sound American to me. I'm not proud, but the "Deathbed" part also had me consider John Donne.

The L.ofG. being the key part completely escaped me during think time for a head-slapping miss. After Whitman was given I realized I could have had a different interpretation of "L.of.G." if I had gone to that part in thinking it was like "Elegy", so Thomas Gray.

Sam was four letters away from a runaway with Watertown on his missed DD.

Comment including something about Christina's first game:
Spoiler
Show
Christina has won two games from a distant second place. It's tough to get a three-peat (tosses a buck to Pat Riley*) that way.
*DHK: Former Lakers' coach owns the trademark on the phrase.

Johnblue

Post by Johnblue » Thu Feb 19, 2015 11:03 pm

I recently was in Australia & station is more akin to ranch & Barney is a fight. Good game overall but I missed FJ, think "L of G" meant Lamb of God.

dhkendall
Pursuing the Dream

Post by dhkendall » Thu Feb 19, 2015 11:04 pm

MarkBarrett wrote: *DHK: Former Lakers' coach owns the trademark on the phrase.
In all seriousness, or does he just claim he does?

"The way to win on Jeopardy is to be a rabidly curious, information-omnivorous person your entire life." - Ken Jennings

barandall800
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by barandall800 » Thu Feb 19, 2015 11:30 pm

dhkendall wrote:
I wasn't the only one! Yeah, good to know now that it's in PA, not NC... :?

Good to see Christina tough it out and come back in J!, then come out on top in FJ. Her interview story sounded like something my parents totally could have done when I was younger. As for Sam, I definitely did not expect his story to be about cosplay. He won some points with me for not his Walter White costume, but his Ron Swanson one. :) (Sniffle, Parks and Rec ends next week. I'm not ready for it to go. :()
TheyCallMeMrKid wrote:For some reason, the Darwin photo made me think of Whitman, so he was already on my brain when FJ came up.
I was precalling Whitman in the Beards category in general for some reason (well, true, he had a beard, but I don't know why his name came up so strongly as opposed to others), though that didn't really connect to FJ for me. The "L of G" TOM was what made it an instaget...I was able to parse it out before Alex had finished reading the clue. Whitman is one of my favorite poets, so I would have kicked myself had I missed this one.

Robert K S
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by Robert K S » Thu Feb 19, 2015 11:30 pm

Stanislaus Jacob wrote:I haven't researched this at all, but I am very skeptical that pollsters in 1952 were calling the election for Stevenson. If they had, wouldn't that just be as famous as the bad predictions in favor of Dewey in 1948? At least Dewey kept it close.

Edit: I seem to be correct, although the final poll was closer than the final results: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Historical ... on.2C_1952
In a nutshell, here's what happened. Physicist John Mauchly, who had co-invented the ENIAC at the University of Pennsylvania and went on to found the company that made the UNIVAC, had been barred from his own computer factory. In an era when communist witch-hunting was rampant, someone had wrongfully fingered him as politically disloyal and he'd temporarily lost his government security clearance pending a hearing. If his company was to keep its government contracts, he couldn't set foot through the door. To keep busy while in exile, working from his home, he and University of Pennsylvania statistician Max Woodbury worked on a fantastic new application for their brand-new commercial computer: election prediction. By studying trends in past returns, they believed they'd cracked the problem, and that they would be able to project the winner of the next election with a very small percentage of the returns in.

When it came to the night of the election, the computer ran their program and called it for Ike in a landslide: 438 electoral votes for Eisenhower, 93 for Stevenson. CBS told Mauchly and Woodbury, "There's no way we're airing that. Run the program again and make it closer." Around 9 p.m., viewers were told UNIVAC predicted that Eisenhower would with 8-7 odds. This result, however, was the product of an inadvertently added zero to Stevenson's total New York State votes. Another run with the corrected numbers and the odds went back to 100-1 Eisenhower.

Ultimately Eisenhower won 442-89 electoral (33,936,252 popular). UNIVAC's electoral prediction was within 1%, and its popular vote prediction of 32,915,000 was within 3%. Later in the night CBS issued an on-air apology, saying they should have believed the machine's first output.

The UNIVAC business was just a small part of CBS's election coverage. The network saw it as a gimmick, and didn't even show the actual computer on TV, instead building a mockup for TV purposes. But computerized projections were a part of every election thereafter.

econgator
Let's Go Mets!

Post by econgator » Thu Feb 19, 2015 11:36 pm

MarkBarrett wrote:I don't have an Australian to English dictionary handy, anyone have a problem with ranch on the station clue that went to farm?
Ranch is actually much, much closer than farm.

econgator
Let's Go Mets!

Post by econgator » Thu Feb 19, 2015 11:38 pm

dhkendall wrote:
No. he really does:
http://www.snopes.com/legal/3peat.asp

TheyCallMeMrKid
Swimming in the Jeopardy! Pool

Post by TheyCallMeMrKid » Thu Feb 19, 2015 11:41 pm

dhkendall wrote:
It's allowed, due to your country of origin.
Sheepin' it real.

OrangeSAM

Post by OrangeSAM » Thu Feb 19, 2015 11:44 pm

TheyCallMeMrKid wrote:For some reason, the Darwin photo made me think of Whitman....
I actually thought of (and answered) John Muir. :shock:

And I was so glad they didn't have another "Nice Beard" category in DJ!
OCSam

econgator
Let's Go Mets!

Post by econgator » Thu Feb 19, 2015 11:46 pm

OrangeSAM wrote:
TheyCallMeMrKid wrote:For some reason, the Darwin photo made me think of Whitman....
I actually thought of (and answered) John Muir. :shock:

And I was so glad they didn't have another "Nice Beard" category in DJ!
Muir was my first thought, too, but the clue got me to Darwin.

barandall800
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by barandall800 » Thu Feb 19, 2015 11:50 pm

TheyCallMeMrKid wrote:
dhkendall wrote:
I, on the other hand, am not Canadian, so...crap.
barandall800 wrote:I wasn't the only one! Yeah, good to know now that it's in PA, not NC... :?

BigDaddyMatty
Save Me, Maggie!

Post by BigDaddyMatty » Fri Feb 20, 2015 12:09 am

econgator wrote:
dhkendall wrote:
No. he really does:
http://www.snopes.com/legal/3peat.asp
Ironically (and sadly, for some of us), Riley's Lakers fell short of achieving a three-peat in the 80s, but Phil Jackson's Chicago Bulls did so twice in the 90s.
Sprinkles are for winners.

dhkendall
Pursuing the Dream

Post by dhkendall » Fri Feb 20, 2015 12:27 am

TheyCallMeMrKid wrote:
dhkendall wrote:
Thanks for the mulligan, but I shouldn't be given a pass just because I have maple syrup in my veins. If I want to be on Jeopardy! (which I do, have I mentioned that at all?) I shouldn't be given a pass on anything that may come up, including Americana - I wouldn't expect you guys to get a pass on Canadian stuff because y'all say things like "y'all". I would expect the same treatment as, say, barandall800. After all, why shouldn't we give TPH a pass on not knowing about romaine lettuce because he hasn't encountered any, my Canadian-ness should be the same.

BigDaddyMatty
Save Me, Maggie!

Post by BigDaddyMatty » Fri Feb 20, 2015 12:47 am

Coryat: $29,800
39 R/2 W; I can forgive myself for going ear instead of armpit, but I am so ashamed as a Mitch Hedberg fan (RIP Mitch) to have gone for corn instead of rice
DD: 2/3; Went for John Paul Jones instead of Patrick Henry, and almost TOMmed myself out of G.B. Shaw because I wasn't familiar with Major Barbara
FJ: Instaget; I was afraid when I saw the category, but I would expect "this 19th Century poet's greatest work was L. of G." to be an $800-1200 clue
LT: Winston-Salem, Waterford (DD), Northern Australia
Clam: Benedict Arnold, Lamb to the Slaughter

Sam performed really well for someone so obviously nervous. FTR, I would rule against "spit up," as that is a function of regurgitation that has nothing to do with the inability to dam off saliva.
Sprinkles are for winners.

This Is Kirk!
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by This Is Kirk! » Fri Feb 20, 2015 2:02 am

TenPoundHammer wrote:I assume "spit up" is no good on Baby for $200? I clearly haven't been around enough babies since I never associated drooling with them.
I don't think it would count. Babies vomiting doesn't have anything to do with their lack of teeth. Sorry.

edit: ^^ yeah, what he said. :)