2015 test coming soon

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

doihavetoreally
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

2015 test coming soon

Post by doihavetoreally »

Hold on to your keyboards everyone. Online test is coming soon - how soon? Not sure, but the jeopardy main webpage reports that the online test is coming soon. All the best for anyone planning to take the exam.
Good enough to lose on Jeopardy!
econgator
Let's Go Mets!

Re: 2015 test coming soon

Post by econgator »

doihavetoreally wrote:Hold on to your keyboards everyone. Online test is coming soon - how soon? Not sure, but the jeopardy main webpage reports that the online test is coming soon. All the best for anyone planning to take the exam.
And there's a practice test there, too.
Magna
Hooked on Jeopardy

Post by Magna »

econgator wrote:And there's a practice test there, too.
Fwiw, it's the one they've had up for a few years. If you haven't taken it, it's good practice.
bpmod
Rank

Post by bpmod »

Magna wrote:
Fwiw, it's the one they've had up for a few years. If you haven't taken it, it's good practice.
I have taken it. So I guess it's not good practice.

Brian
...but the senator, while insisting he was not intoxicated, could not explain his nudity.

If I had 50 cents for every math question I got right, I'd have $6.30 by now.
KazooJ!fan
Valued Contributor

Post by KazooJ!fan »

I took it, too. I thought it was pretty easy, and I also think they need to write an updated version. I swear some of those questions were on my last audition test, back in 2009.

I just hope they don't decide to do the online test the week I'm on vacation. Can you take it on an iPad?
UniquePerspective

Post by UniquePerspective »

On one hand, I'm excited to take this again.

On the other hand, if I get 34 right for the third year in a row, I may very well need therapy.
mxc_takeshi

Post by mxc_takeshi »

31 on the practice test. Not gonna cut it, but better that than the real one.
dhkendall
Pursuing the Dream

Post by dhkendall »

41 on this practice test however, from experience, this seems slightly easier than a typical "real" test. (I'm guessing it's done that way to give more people confidence into taking the test.) Hopefully my prince will come this year.
"Jeopardy! is two parts luck and one part luck" - Me

"The way to win on Jeopardy is to be a rabidly curious, information-omnivorous person your entire life." - Ken Jennings

Follow my progress game by game since 2012
BigDaddyMatty
Hoping not to get pruney this time

Post by BigDaddyMatty »

dhkendall wrote:41 on this practice test however, from experience, this seems slightly easier than a typical "real" test. (I'm guessing it's done that way to give more people confidence into taking the test.) Hopefully my prince will come this year.
I think there's just a lot of variance generally, both in overall difficulty and fit with any given player's strengths. I've taken nine of the old tests over the past month or two, and my scores have been 37, 38, 38, 41, 42, 43, 44, 45 and 46. I took the one on the J! website within the same time period and scored a 34. One man's nightmare is another man's Clavin.
Sprinkles are for winners.
triviawayne
Hoping I don’t drown in this contestant pool

Post by triviawayne »

dhkendall wrote:41 on this practice test however, from experience, this seems slightly easier than a typical "real" test. (I'm guessing it's done that way to give more people confidence into taking the test.) Hopefully my prince will come this year.

This was a "real" test, I don't know which year, but this is word for word the east coast test from a few years back.
Total game show career losings = $171,522
triviawayne
Hoping I don’t drown in this contestant pool

Post by triviawayne »

UniquePerspective wrote:On one hand, I'm excited to take this again.

On the other hand, if I get 34 right for the third year in a row, I may very well need therapy.
If I pass a 4th straight time and don't get an audition call, I'll need therapy.
Total game show career losings = $171,522
mrparadise

Post by mrparadise »

I got a 46, significantly better than the 38-42 I've usually gotten on the many real and practice tests I've taken over the years. That's probably because I've seen most of the clues before, though I don't think they were all in one test. More likely they take them from different past tests. Interestingly, some of the responses
Spoiler
e.g. Scheherazade
probably produce all sorts of spelling variations, a lot of which would meet the standard of being more or less phonetically correct, and therefore require either a computer programmed to accept a variety of spellings, or a human looksee.
opusthepenguin
The Best Darn Penguin on the Whole JBoard

Post by opusthepenguin »

bpmod wrote:
Magna wrote:
I have taken it. So I guess it's not good practice.
Ok, Mr. Denying the Antecedent.
Benkins
Contributor

Post by Benkins »

BigDaddyMatty wrote: I think there's just a lot of variance generally, both in overall difficulty and fit with any given player's strengths. I've taken nine of the old tests over the past month or two, and my scores have been 37, 38, 38, 41, 42, 43, 44, 45 and 46. I took the one on the J! website within the same time period and scored a 34. One man's nightmare is another man's Clavin.
Where do you find the old tests?
BigDaddyMatty
Hoping not to get pruney this time

Post by BigDaddyMatty »

Benkins wrote:
BigDaddyMatty wrote: I think there's just a lot of variance generally, both in overall difficulty and fit with any given player's strengths. I've taken nine of the old tests over the past month or two, and my scores have been 37, 38, 38, 41, 42, 43, 44, 45 and 46. I took the one on the J! website within the same time period and scored a 34. One man's nightmare is another man's Clavin.
YouTube. Search "Jeopardy online test." There are at least a dozen unique tests to choose from.
Sprinkles are for winners.
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

Benkins wrote:
Myron used to have a bunch of links in one place, but I'm not sure it's been updated lately:
MinnesotaMyron wrote:Past Jeopardy Contestant Tests

2013:
Eastern: viewtopic.php?f=1&t=1133
Central: viewtopic.php?f=1&t=1137
Pacific: viewtopic.php?f=1&t=1140
Omaha/Dallas: viewtopic.php?f=1&t=1602

2012:
Eastern: viewtopic.php?f=1&t=490
Central: viewtopic.php?f=1&t=492
Pacific: viewtopic.php?f=1&t=495
March: viewtopic.php?f=1&t=605
Military/Ohio: viewtopic.php?f=1&t=977

2010:
East Coast: viewtopic.php?f=1&t=1713
January 27: n/a
January 28: n/a

2008:
January 29: n/a
January 30: n/a
January 31: viewtopic.php?f=1&t=1714

College:
2012: viewtopic.php?f=1&t=654
2013: viewtopic.php?f=1&t=1219

Teen:
2012: viewtopic.php?f=1&t=644
Feb 2013: viewtopic.php?f=1&t=1189
September 2013: viewtopic.php?f=1&t=1593

Kids:
2011: viewtopic.php?f=1&t=301
2012: viewtopic.php?f=1&t=1018
2013: viewtopic.php?f=1&t=1588

DoT's Practice Tests:
2012: viewtopic.php?f=1&t=489
2013: viewtopic.php?f=1&t=1132

Official Jeopardy.com practice test: http://www.jeopardy.com/beacontestant/c ... cticetest/

I think that's all of them. Anything missing?

(Hat tip to alietr for the inspiration. Oh how I miss the deleted Official Board content. Especially the year the College Test was "50 categories for 50 states". That one was weird.)
dhkendall
Pursuing the Dream

Post by dhkendall »

HT demomoke for reposting this picture from Jeopardy!'s Facebook page on his own Facebook page.

(Sorry for the huge size, not sure exactly how to reduce when I don't know the original proportions (and, therefore unable to keep ratio))
"Jeopardy! is two parts luck and one part luck" - Me

"The way to win on Jeopardy is to be a rabidly curious, information-omnivorous person your entire life." - Ken Jennings

Follow my progress game by game since 2012
barandall800
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by barandall800 »

Thanks for posting that, dhk.

Hopefully they'll finally do another College test too. It's been nearly 2 full years, dang it. (And I was out of the country then, plus I was about to leave for the 2012 test so I didn't end up taking it, so it's been even longer for me.) Bring on March 30! :D
TheyCallMeMrKid
Swimming in the Jeopardy! Pool

Post by TheyCallMeMrKid »

dhkendall wrote: (Sorry for the huge size, not sure exactly how to reduce when I don't know the original proportions (and, therefore unable to keep ratio))
With the [image=x,y] command, I usually just guess, then look at it in the preview pane and adjust the dimensions until it passes the eyeball test.
Sheepin' it real.
bpmod
Rank

Post by bpmod »

TheyCallMeMrKid wrote:
dhkendall wrote: (Sorry for the huge size, not sure exactly how to reduce when I don't know the original proportions (and, therefore unable to keep ratio))
With the [image=x,y] command, I usually just guess, then look at it in the preview pane and adjust the dimensions until it passes the eyeball test.
It's a little more work, but what I do is save the image on my local computer and open it in my favourite* image editor. Then resize it to a width of somewhere in the 400-500 range, keeping the aspect ratio and letting the height fall wherever it may. Then I upload the newly saved image as part of my post.

Like this:
jeopardy_test.jpg
jeopardy_test.jpg (36.96 KiB) Viewed 5426 times
*or sometimes I use Paint

Brian
...but the senator, while insisting he was not intoxicated, could not explain his nudity.

If I had 50 cents for every math question I got right, I'd have $6.30 by now.