Wednesday, February 25, 2015 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

goatman
Man Who Stares At Goats!

Re: Wednesday, February 25, 2015 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

Post by goatman »

INstaget FJ. History of Acadia... read Evangeline by Longfellow. Turns out most of northern Maine is French-speaking. There are a few hangers-on in Vermont and NH as well, but sparse.
The middle states like Illinois, WI, MN and even IA have many French names from the early exploration days but were never settled in any numbers before the Purchase in 1803.

Goat gets on 45/56 clues revealed, pretty strong. LT: Van Buren (Red Fox of Kinderhook); Chris Evert (America's Tennis Sweetheart); Nigeria (DD; Pres: Goodluck Jonathan) & Armenia (Pres Sargsyan; Yerevan = alphabetically 2nd last before Zagreb; Abu Dhabi & Abuja 1st & 2nd); fiberglass, honorary citizen; Metatarsals (5/5 in medicine cat from anatomy 101!) and Hyoid Bone (painful to watch them guessing mandible, etc, the hyoid is a 'floating bone' unattached to the skeletal frame, it's a medical school training level clue.) Nailed postal abbs, lol silly fun!
French language in the United States. Counties and parishes marked in yellow are those where 6–12% of the population speak French at home; brown, 12–18%; red, over 18%. The census response "Cajun" and French-based creole languages are not included
The corridors of my mind are plastered with 3M Post-It notes!
Golf
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by Golf »

BigDaddyMatty wrote:I know articles don't usually matter, but I thought that the phrasing of The Terminator was the primary reason Dava-Leigh should have been negged. The first movie in the series is The Terminator, while the sequel is Terminator 2: Judgment Day. No one who knows the series would refer to the second movie as "The Terminator 2" or "The Terminator Part 2." Dava-Leigh is clearly aware of this difference as evidenced by the proper phrasing of her MS response. I think she was really lucky to be bailed out by Alex.
I'm guessing she was allowed the BMS because it's a sequel. But I'm wondering if the clue was "in what movie did Darth Vader tell Luke he was his father" and a contestant answered "Star Wars". would he/she have the luxury of a BMS? According to the official title the BMS is warranted, but I'm thinking it would get negged outright.
bleezy
Valued Contributor

Post by bleezy »

Ditto on Vermont for me. I've never been to that region but I guessed it based on the names "Vermont" and "Montpelier".
Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Post by Bamaman »

The show got bumped here due to coverage of the local blizzard, so I just played FJ from the thread. Bamaboy spent a month in Maine last summer and he told me he ran into a lot of French speaking people, helped me get it right.
alietr
Site Admin

Post by alietr »

Bamaman wrote:The show got bumped here due to coverage of the local blizzard
OK, I'll bite ... how much snow constitutes a blizzard down there?
Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Post by Bamaman »

alietr wrote:
A lot less than in Maine.
legendneverdies

Post by legendneverdies »

Bamaman wrote:
alietr wrote:
A lot less than in Maine.
Getting down to 32 at night is like Armageddon in Florida, and the snowbirds are hearing about their friends who stay up north at this time of year not having heat for days on end in -10 degree weather.
davey

Post by davey »

Tpmorrison wrote:IMO, that was nasty negbait on the Beckett question - he's by far most famous for Waiting for Godot, which is three words and seemed to fit the preceding quote. Why not just say in The Unnamable by Samuel Beckett?
The lines are the most famous from Beckett outside of Godot, quoted whenever he's written about, so I don't think it was so nasty.
The Acadia-Maine connection was pretty instant for me on this FJ.
Silverfox
Don't Step on My Tail!

Post by Silverfox »

I went with LA and MI for FJ. Michigan seemed to make sense to me. But not to the judges.
Be alert. Stupid never takes a day off!
alietr
Site Admin

Post by alietr »

Silverfox wrote:I went with LA and MI for FJ. Michigan seemed to make sense to me. But not to the judges.
Michigan seems like a dream to me now.
BigDaddyMatty
Hoping not to get pruney this time

Post by BigDaddyMatty »

alietr wrote:
Silverfox wrote:I went with LA and MI for FJ. Michigan seemed to make sense to me. But not to the judges.
Michigan seems like a dream to me now.
It was all a dream. I used to read Word Up! magazine.
Sprinkles are for winners.
Caboom

Post by Caboom »

Golf wrote:People need to stop over thinking these things. Louisiana is a given so that leaves one other. New Hampshire and Vermont are basically the same when it comes to what we're discussing, so since we're only looking for one state we can rule out both of them. That leaves Maine, and since everybody knows of Acadia, it should be a no-brainer.

I hate stating certain questions were cake or how anybody can miss it, it does zero good from a discussion point of view. But I just can't see how knowledgeable people would think (after the fact) that Louisiana and Maine weren't the obvious answers. If those two aren't correct it's going to poll in the single digits.
Polled a lot higher than single digits; 21% said Vermont, and only 1/23 of those who said Vermont missed Louisiana. Anything other than LA/ME or LA/VT would probably have polled very low though.