Wednesday, February 25, 2015 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

bomtr
Just a Man Like Any Other

Re: Wednesday, February 25, 2015 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

Post by bomtr »

GoodStrategy wrote:
bomtr wrote:Plus, she had the lead assured with one clue left; she should not have rung in on the last clue. Worked out when she got it right, but the risk was not worth it, in my opinion. Of course, it could have played out differently had she not since they all got FJ wrong.
I think it's certainly worth the risk if you can improve to a crush if you're right, since at that point you force the trailer(s) to be right (and you be wrong) to win (which helped Laura in this game). The only time I recommend abstaining from ringing in on a late-DJ! clue is when you have a guaranteed lock if you don't take the risk (and there are no clues subject to a ruling reversal that would hurt you or help your opponents).
You're certainly right that the situation was more nuanced than my post would indicate. If the leader is fairly certain of the answer, you are right the ring-in is the right thing. Obviously, you add the W-W to R-R and R-W. Plus, if you do get it wrong, the trailer still has to get it right to pass. If she does, you trade R-R and R-W for W-W. If you're confident that your FJ get rate is significantly above 50 percent, that's a bad trade, so if it's anything of a guess, and particularly if it's a Cambridge/Oxford with two relatively equally plausible answers, it's best to stay away. Unlike me, she did seem confident she had the right answer in that circumstance, so I should not find fault with her action.
TenPoundHammer

Post by TenPoundHammer »

Any takers yet?
TenPoundHammer wrote:I have seen only one of those Movies with Subtitles, and it's probably not the one you're thinking of.
MarkBarrett
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by MarkBarrett »

TenPoundHammer wrote:Any takers yet?
TenPoundHammer wrote:I have seen only one of those Movies with Subtitles, and it's probably not the one you're thinking of.
Pirates, Khan, T2, National Treasure, Ice Age

The obvious would be the animated one, so that's out. In order for guesses I would go from most likely to least likely:

NT, Pirates, T2, Khan
TenPoundHammer

Post by TenPoundHammer »

MarkBarrett wrote:The obvious would be the animated one, so that's out. In order for guesses I would go from most likely to least likely:

NT, Pirates, T2, Khan
Terminator 2 is the one out of those four that I've seen. A friend of mine has been recommending movies to me left and right for some time. So far, he's suggested Terminator 2, Aliens, Galaxy Quest, The Number 23, and Willow. I enjoyed all of those except Willow, which I found incredibly boring and stock. I also watched the first Terminator (meh) and Alien (good, but the sequel is better) for context, because I hate to go sequel-first.

I don't even recognize the title National Treasure offhand, never was interested in Pirates, and have no idea where to start on the Star Trek franchise as a whole. (Yes, I know Galaxy Quest is basically a love letter to the franchise. Shut up.)
Golf
Wet Paper Bag Charmer

Post by Golf »

bpmod wrote:
alietr wrote:
Golf wrote:New Hampshire and Vermont are basically the same when it comes to what we're discussing, so since we're only looking for one state we can rule out both of them.
That's where I disagree. Vermont has a French name, a longer border with Quebec, and the border has a significant amount of traffic. New Hampshire has an English name and a very short, remote border. For the purposes of this question, the two states are quite different.
This, completely.

Brian
We can agree to disagree. People parse clues in different ways, and that's a lot of the fun.

It's much more on topic than the three of us stating how many of the states in question we've been to and how this affects this discussion.
Category 13
Wagering Viking

Post by Category 13 »

kristinsausville wrote: and on our New England road trip this summer, we saw more Quebec license plates in Maine than anywhere else. Figured some vacationers might have made the move permanent at some point.
Naw, it's just a fixation with Old Orchard Beach. They did most of their migrating in the early part of last century.
bpmod
Rank

Post by bpmod »

How did Terminator get a BMS?

Brian
...but the senator, while insisting he was not intoxicated, could not explain his nudity.

If I had 50 cents for every math question I got right, I'd have $6.30 by now.
Golf
Wet Paper Bag Charmer

Post by Golf »

bpmod wrote:How did Terminator get a BMS?

Brian
Pretty sure the question specifically asked about Terminator 2 Judgement Day. Just Terminator would have been wrong.
bomtr
Just a Man Like Any Other

Post by bomtr »

Golf wrote:

Brian
Pretty sure the question specifically asked about Terminator 2 Judgement Day. Just Terminator would have been wrong.
Just Terminator was wrong. They gave her plenty of time to add 2; they should not have given her the prompt of a BMS.
Vanya
The support is non-zero

Post by Vanya »

TenPoundHammer wrote:I didn't know what Acadia was, and I still got it right just by going for the biggest state of the three bordering Quebec.
Four. There are four states [/Picard]. And Maine ain't the biggest.
nightreign
#TeamAlsoRans

Post by nightreign »

I didn't have a problem with the T2 BMS, but I was quite surprised, after that, that they didn't BMS National Treasure, since the official title was "National Treasure 2: Book of Secrets."
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

nightreign wrote:I didn't have a problem with the T2 BMS, but I was quite surprised, after that, that they didn't BMS National Treasure, since the official title was "National Treasure 2: Book of Secrets."

The clue: The second Nicolas Cage film titled this is subtitled "Book of Secrets"

Just "National Treasure" has to work the way the clue was worded. The title seems to be known with or without the "2" in it.
jeff6286

Post by jeff6286 »

Brian
It was worse than that, she said "The Terminator", which is a full and distinct title of a different movie in the series. I thought it should have been negged, with a "hesitate and wait for her to add to it" being not unreasonable. Giving the "be more specific" seemed highly unfair to the other two players.
This Is Kirk!
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by This Is Kirk! »

What were the category name and clue wording? I don't recall exactly, but it seemed obvious to me she was referring to T2 at the time.
jeff6286

Post by jeff6286 »

This Is Kirk! wrote:What were the category name and clue wording? I don't recall exactly, but it seemed obvious to me she was referring to T2 at the time.
I don't have the exact wording at hand, but my recollection is that the clue was asking to identify which film in the series was subtitled Judgment Day. The category was about subtitled movies, which I took to mean foreign films with English subtitles, but turned out to be movies with a colon and a subtitle.
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

jeff6286 wrote:
This Is Kirk! wrote:What were the category name and clue wording? I don't recall exactly, but it seemed obvious to me she was referring to T2 at the time.
I don't have the exact wording at hand, but my recollection is that the clue was asking to identify which film in the series was subtitled Judgment Day. The category was about subtitled movies, which I took to mean foreign films with English subtitles, but turned out to be movies with a colon and a subtitle.
MOVIES WITH SUBTITLES $600: Arnold did say he'd be back, hence this film subtitled "Judgment Day"

Dava-Leigh: What is "The Terminator?"

Alex: Be more specific.

Dava-Leigh: What is "Terminator 2?"
This Is Kirk!
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by This Is Kirk! »

Thanks, Mark.

Yeah, I think just the way it's phrased "Arnold did say he'd be back..." is why she wasn't negged outright. From the wording of the clue it's fairly clear it's not the original movie.
BigDaddyMatty
Hoping not to get pruney this time

Post by BigDaddyMatty »

MarkBarrett wrote:
jeff6286 wrote:
MOVIES WITH SUBTITLES $600: Arnold did say he'd be back, hence this film subtitled "Judgment Day"

Dava-Leigh: What is "The Terminator?"

Alex: Be more specific.

Dava-Leigh: What is "Terminator 2?"
I know articles don't usually matter, but I thought that the phrasing of The Terminator was the primary reason Dava-Leigh should have been negged. The first movie in the series is The Terminator, while the sequel is Terminator 2: Judgment Day. No one who knows the series would refer to the second movie as "The Terminator 2" or "The Terminator Part 2." Dava-Leigh is clearly aware of this difference as evidenced by the proper phrasing of her MS response. I think she was really lucky to be bailed out by Alex.
Sprinkles are for winners.
Robert K S
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by Robert K S »

There are never any BMS's on The Invisible Man.
opusthepenguin
The Best Darn Penguin on the Whole JBoard

Post by opusthepenguin »

Robert K S wrote:There are never any BMS's on The Invisible Man.
Well... none that we can see anyway.