Monday, March 2, 2015 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, dhkendall, trainman, econgator

Archivists
Fan-created archive of games and players

Monday, March 2, 2015 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

Post by Archivists » Mon Mar 02, 2015 11:30 am

Placeholder for J! Round

Archivists
Fan-created archive of games and players

Double Jeopardy! Round

Post by Archivists » Mon Mar 02, 2015 11:30 am

Placeholder for DJ! Round

jeff6286
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Re: Monday, March 2, 2015 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

Post by jeff6286 » Mon Mar 02, 2015 2:14 pm

Literary First Lines
He wrote the 1971 opener "We were somewhere around Barstow on the edge of the desert when the drugs began to take hold".

SpoilerShow
Who is Hunter S. Thompson?

Thomas Phillips: $13,000+$12,601=$25,601...now a 1-day champion with $25,601
Jose Garriga: $12,800+$10,201=$23,001
Leslie Gordon: $9,700+$9,499=$19,199
Last edited by jeff6286 on Mon Mar 02, 2015 8:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.

dhkendall
Pursuing the Dream

Post by dhkendall » Mon Mar 02, 2015 6:18 pm

No, Alex, the fact that there are many "tough clues" in a game isn't the reason for not getting to all 60 clues before FJ! - I'd hazard a guess that there are, on average, roughly the same amount of TSes during a tournament quarterfinal, and those are trimmed up OK. Even though I'm in the minority (around here anyways) and like the interviews, they can be trimmed, even Alex's introduction, to get to all 60.

For some reason, I predict at least one case of misplaced Facebook outrage over HIDDEN GEMS $2000, but then, the Facebook crowd is never about thinking clearly.

Had FJ before Alex was done speaking.
"Jeopardy! is two parts luck and one part luck" - Me

"The way to win on Jeopardy is to be a rabidly curious, information-omnivorous person your entire life." - Ken Jennings

Austin Powers

Post by Austin Powers » Mon Mar 02, 2015 6:51 pm

econgator
Let's Go Mets!

Post by econgator » Mon Mar 02, 2015 7:28 pm

Good game by all the players today.

No clue on FJ!. WAGged Kerouac.

TenPoundHammer
Otters are meant to swim

Post by TenPoundHammer » Mon Mar 02, 2015 7:30 pm

Johnny's "And now, here is the host of Jeopardy!, Alex Trebek!" sounded really weak today. Anyone else notice?

Lach Trash: Phileas Fogg, Doom, pearl.

"Blah blah Rio de la Plata" -> Plata -> Silver -> Argentina. Oops. Then I had no idea how to get to Argentina when it actually did come up. And for some reason, I keep forgetting that Bolivia exists.

On the other hand, "French this" bordering Brazil was a bit overvalued.

Stupid Answers, why must you always mock me? I have NHO "Masters of Sex" so I also went for the Masters & Johnson neg. There's always at least one Stupid Answers where, if you don't outright know the right answer, there are a ton of wrong guesses you can make.

My 4/5s continue with Stupid Answers, "Do", Chilly (Masters of Sex, Bedouin, mukluks, Cherokee, opal).

No BMS on Guthrie?

Opal just didn't jump out at me because the sentences weren't contrived enough. As a Steven Universe fan, I was thinking, "please have at least one of Garnet/Amethyst/Pearl".

However, I easily ran Systems.

Oh crap, I know this. Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas. Gonzo Journalism. Raoul Duke. Nostalgia Critic did an episode parodying him. What the hell is his name?! I could even picture the guy, but his name just wouldn't surface in 30 seconds. For some reason I thought the name had a J in it somewhere, and I kept chasing down the totally wrong path of J names.
Ten Pound Hammer

This space for rent

Abraxas

Post by Abraxas » Mon Mar 02, 2015 7:31 pm

All three contestants played well. I had 26 correct responses including the triple stumper of Doom and the missed DD of Harry Truman.
econgator wrote: No clue on FJ!. WAGged Kerouac.
Same here.

UniquePerspective

Post by UniquePerspective » Mon Mar 02, 2015 7:33 pm

Was there a reason behind Jose's wager? I can't figure out why the new champ (whose name escapes me) would have a poossible reasonable bet of 10,000 mathematically, so why cover that?

econgator
Let's Go Mets!

Post by econgator » Mon Mar 02, 2015 7:37 pm

TenPoundHammer wrote:No BMS on Guthrie?
That was pretty surprising.

Actually, no it wasn't. The only things they BMS any more are things which simply don't need it anyway or should have been outright negged in the first place

kristinsausville
2015 TOC'er

Post by kristinsausville » Mon Mar 02, 2015 7:41 pm

TenPoundHammer wrote:Johnny's "And now, here is the host of Jeopardy!, Alex Trebek!" sounded really weak today. Anyone else notice?
Johnny was not present at that tape day -- Jimmy from the Clue Crew recorded the introductions and we were told that Johnny would rerecord them when he returned.

This FJ drove me crazy since Justin and I had just been discussing that opening line the day before! Felt like misdirected fate when it came up.
Follow me on Twitter: @ksausville

dhkendall
Pursuing the Dream

Post by dhkendall » Mon Mar 02, 2015 7:42 pm

TenPoundHammer wrote:Johnny's "And now, here is the host of Jeopardy!, Alex Trebek!" sounded really weak today. Anyone else notice?
I did, but I didn't think much of it.
TenPoundHammer wrote:And for some reason, I keep forgetting that Bolivia exists.
Congrats, you qualify for Chilean citizenship.

(Btw, loved the pun in the last three categories in the (J!?) round, "but not Chile")
TenPoundHammer wrote:On the other hand, "French this" bordering Brazil was a bit overvalued.
I'm just ticked that it was again referred to as a French "colony", a common mistake. Legally, it's as much a part of France as Corsica or Lyons. Or, another way to put it, it's as much a part of France as Hawaii is part of the US, despite being part of another continent and separated by ocean. Maybe one day it will form it's own country like Algeria, another (former) integral part of France did, but I don't see it happening soon.
"Jeopardy! is two parts luck and one part luck" - Me

"The way to win on Jeopardy is to be a rabidly curious, information-omnivorous person your entire life." - Ken Jennings

Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Post by Bamaman » Mon Mar 02, 2015 7:45 pm

UniquePerspective wrote:Was there a reason behind Jose's wager? I can't figure out why the new champ (whose name escapes me) would have a poossible reasonable bet of 10,000 mathematically, so why cover that?
Not sure why he went for that number, but it kept him above Thomas' MSBIW if they both miss so it gets him second if that happens. The really bad bet was Leslie. She must have miscalculated Thomas' MSBIW as she falls below it if they both miss. She takes a sure win on a TS and turns it into third place if they all miss.

It would have been funny if Alex's explaining why they don't always finish a round kept them from finishing the round.

Jose going one Charles too early cost him his crown. People who get beheaded generally aren't very merry.

Glad my fellow Alabamian won, I also had Kerouac on FJ. I agree they should have BMSd Guthrie.

I had the Truman DD, I think Thomas' mind was stuck in the UK from the previous clue.

BADuBois
Jeopardy! Champion... It's a Mystery!

Post by BADuBois » Mon Mar 02, 2015 7:59 pm

Instaget was a FJ for me, and I was pleasantly surprised that it was an FJ for all contestants.

Funny... today's NYT had a different clue than what appeared on the "Jeopardy!" website. Odd.
Award-winning author of "My Short, Happy Life in 'Jeopardy!'"
http://tinyurl.com/btax4xp

mxc_takeshi

Post by mxc_takeshi » Mon Mar 02, 2015 7:59 pm

34 right.

Fork (1), Lit (3), Biz (4), Brazil (4), "Do" (3), Chilly (4)
Rom (3), Mus (3), Act (4), Sys (1), Fact (2), Gem (2)

Lach Trash: "Phileas Fogg", "Doom"

Instaget FJ- precalled it, too.

nightreign
#TeamAlsoRans

Post by nightreign » Mon Mar 02, 2015 8:00 pm

Lach Trash: Phileas Fogg, Doom

Add me to the list that WAGged Kerouac. He wrote about road trips, at least...
In reality, I know Hunter S. Thompson=Fear and Loathing, but I've never read that book and have no idea what it's about.

Golf

Post by Golf » Mon Mar 02, 2015 8:00 pm

Good that the new champ likes to DD hunt. Bad that he has zero clue on what to wager when he finds them.

Pretty interesting to see a repeat FJ.

jeff6286

Post by jeff6286 » Mon Mar 02, 2015 8:28 pm

Bamaman wrote: I had the Truman DD, I think Thomas' mind was stuck in the UK from the previous clue.
I did the same thing he did, I saw Wallace and immediately jumped to Wallis Simpson and said Edward VIII, despite that not making any sense. I assume Thomas took the same faulty path, though at least I had the right Edward.

clprez

Post by clprez » Mon Mar 02, 2015 8:31 pm

For FJ! I guessed Ken Kesey. I thought he wrote the Electric Kool-aid book, but I just looked it up and it turns out Tom Wolfe actually wrote the book about Ken. Oh well.

Category 13
Wagering Viking

Post by Category 13 » Mon Mar 02, 2015 8:42 pm

Bamaman wrote:
UniquePerspective wrote:Was there a reason behind Jose's wager? I can't figure out why the new champ (whose name escapes me) would have a poossible reasonable bet of 10,000 mathematically, so why cover that?
Not sure why he went for that number, but it kept him above Thomas' MSBIW if they both miss so it gets him second if that happens. The really bad bet was Leslie. She must have miscalculated Thomas' MSBIW as she falls below it if they both miss. She takes a sure win on a TS and turns it into third place if they all miss.
I also believe Leslie did the math wrong on how much Thomas would have left if he wagered correctly and missed the answer.

In Jose's shoes, I'm wagering 6,601 to cover Leslie's doubled score. Thomas will have to miss for me to win anyway, and I'll still have 6,199 if it's a TS.
In Leslie's shoe's, I'm wagering 3,500 to cover Jose if he uses the above strategy and we all miss. This will also be enough to beat Jose if he happens to wager zero and Thomas has a singleton miss.