Monday, March 2, 2015 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

davey
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much
Posts: 3547
Joined: Thu Jan 12, 2012 10:55 pm

Re: Monday, March 2, 2015 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

Post by davey » Tue Mar 03, 2015 12:43 am

It's fine to accept "muk(ə)luk," just as "buckling" might be buck-ling or buck(ə)ling.
For the clue about the respiratory system, would pulmonary system work too?
Had trouble remembering the FJ name, but it came to me with a few seconds to spare. I've never read the book but I've read enough about Thompson to know it.

User avatar
This Is Kirk!
Jeopardy! Champion
Posts: 4705
Joined: Mon Dec 17, 2012 1:35 am
Location: Seattle

Re: Monday, March 2, 2015 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

Post by This Is Kirk! » Tue Mar 03, 2015 1:05 am

I'm glad I'm not the only one who questioned the pronunciation of "mukluk."

I came close to screwing up FJ. Wrote down Burroughs immediately and then about halfway through had the sudden realization that Hunter S. Thompson wrote "Fear and Loathing..."

User avatar
skullturf
Married to a Jeopardy! Champion
Posts: 1793
Joined: Wed Dec 12, 2012 10:34 am
Location: Miami

Re: Monday, March 2, 2015 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

Post by skullturf » Tue Mar 03, 2015 2:03 am

For me, this was one of those rare FJs that I just straight-up knew, as opposed to having to work it out on the spot (and not necessarily succeeding).

That happens rarely to me. One of the other times, it was about Led Zeppelin. Drug-influenced early 1970s pop culture for the win.

bpmod
Rank
Posts: 5424
Joined: Fri Jul 01, 2011 12:26 pm
Location: Hamilton Ontario

Re: Monday, March 2, 2015 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

Post by bpmod » Tue Mar 03, 2015 5:47 am

Leander wrote:I don't think Missouri was in the clue, just Independence.
Damn! I would have been hosed if they were referring to Independence Hawaii or Independence Georgia or any of the other cities in the world named Independence.

Brian
...but the senator, while insisting he was not intoxicated, could not explain his nudity.

If I had 50 cents for every math question I got right, I'd have $6.30 by now.

eboettch
Loyal Jeopardista
Posts: 136
Joined: Mon Oct 14, 2013 8:32 pm

Re: Monday, March 2, 2015 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

Post by eboettch » Tue Mar 03, 2015 8:19 am

I had Tom Wolfe for final and switched to Kesey because I thought the judges wouldn't want the hassle of determining if Wolfe, Woolf, or Thomas Wolfe was acceptable.

Searched the archive so I could learn more about this Hunter S. Thompson fellow, and it looks like a variation on this clue appeared as a final in 2005 - given the first line, contestants had to respond with the book, not the author. Only 1/2 got it right then, though HST had died earlier that year.

ETA: Austin Powers posted the link a while before I did; sorry for the redundancy.
Last edited by eboettch on Tue Mar 03, 2015 10:35 am, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
Robert K S
Jeopardy! Champion
Posts: 1620
Joined: Thu Jun 30, 2011 1:26 pm
Location: Cleveland, Ohio
Contact:

Re: Monday, March 2, 2015 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

Post by Robert K S » Tue Mar 03, 2015 9:06 am

eboettch wrote:...it looks like a variation on this clue appeared as a final in 2005 - given the first line, contestants had to respond with the book, not the author. Only 1/2 got it right then, though HST had died earlier that year.
Good find. I hope it doesn't take some of the wind out of your sail to note Austin Powers posted the same link near the beginning of today's thread!

flemmingfan
Loyal Jeopardista
Posts: 157
Joined: Wed Oct 10, 2012 8:40 am

Re: Monday, March 2, 2015 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

Post by flemmingfan » Tue Mar 03, 2015 10:12 am

Back to the reason they don't always finish the boards. AT shifted the blame from himself. While he did state some possible causes, he didn't mention the fact that HE wastes a lot of time soaking up camera time in the interview portion talking about HIS experiences etc. instead of letting the contestant (who went through the whole process to get on the show and did all the traveling necessary to reach the dream of being on Jeopardy) relate THEIR thoughts.

eboettch
Loyal Jeopardista
Posts: 136
Joined: Mon Oct 14, 2013 8:32 pm

Re: Monday, March 2, 2015 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

Post by eboettch » Tue Mar 03, 2015 10:34 am

Robert K S wrote:
eboettch wrote:...it looks like a variation on this clue appeared as a final in 2005 - given the first line, contestants had to respond with the book, not the author. Only 1/2 got it right then, though HST had died earlier that year.
Good find. I hope it doesn't take some of the wind out of your sail to note Austin Powers posted the same link near the beginning of today's thread!
Wellll at least that will offset my embarrassment for not getting an FJ in a wheelhouse category. :)

User avatar
The Talking Mime
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much
Posts: 427
Joined: Thu Feb 20, 2014 7:27 pm

Re: Monday, March 2, 2015 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

Post by The Talking Mime » Tue Mar 03, 2015 12:01 pm

I was actually thumbing through a copy of "Fear and Loathing..." at a bookstore yesterday afternoon. I think I might of gotten it otherwise, but still, I think it helped make this an instaget.

I guess I'll thumb through a sports book today to try and get a Sports clue for FJ. Can't hurt to try, right?
"There is much pleasure to be gained from useless knowledge."
-Bertrand Russell

harrumph
Voyeur
Posts: 1701
Joined: Mon Sep 26, 2011 12:00 pm
Location: Princeton, NJ

Re: Monday, March 2, 2015 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

Post by harrumph » Tue Mar 03, 2015 12:08 pm

FINAL JEOPARDY
CATEGORY: FAMOUS INITIALS

This president and this former Rolling Stone magazine journalist have the same three initials.
Spoiler
Show
HST and HST

User avatar
This Is Kirk!
Jeopardy! Champion
Posts: 4705
Joined: Mon Dec 17, 2012 1:35 am
Location: Seattle

Re: Monday, March 2, 2015 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

Post by This Is Kirk! » Tue Mar 03, 2015 12:24 pm

harrumph wrote:FINAL JEOPARDY
CATEGORY: FAMOUS INITIALS

This president and this former Rolling Stone magazine journalist have the same three initials.
Spoiler
Show
HST and HST
Who is King Edward VIII? :D

User avatar
Woof
Swimming in the Jeopardy! Pool
Posts: 4065
Joined: Fri Jul 01, 2011 9:53 pm

Re: Monday, March 2, 2015 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

Post by Woof » Tue Mar 03, 2015 12:34 pm

I had a terrifying moment in FJ when I blanked on the author of FaLiLV (my wife was looking at me for the name, too). Then, I got there in the nick of time via Raoul Duke. Thank you, Garry Trudeau!

User avatar
opusthepenguin
The Best Darn Penguin on the Whole JBoard
Posts: 6913
Joined: Thu Aug 11, 2011 2:33 pm
Location: Shawnee, KS
Contact:

Re: Monday, March 2, 2015 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

Post by opusthepenguin » Tue Mar 03, 2015 1:49 pm

Robert K S wrote:
eboettch wrote:...it looks like a variation on this clue appeared as a final in 2005 - given the first line, contestants had to respond with the book, not the author. Only 1/2 got it right then, though HST had died earlier that year.
Good find. I hope it doesn't take some of the wind out of your sail to note Austin Powers posted the same link near the beginning of today's thread!
So that's why that link was there. I honestly didn't know and didn't feel like skimming through the game to see if I could figure it out. It happened to be boardie Rex Kramer's first game. I assumed Austin was continuing some conversation that I'd missed the start of. So, thanks, eboettch. Your cluelessness helped mine.

Here's a super-geeky pro-tip for the one or two boardies who don't already know and who actually like this sort of thing. You can edit archive URLs as follows and the links will go to the (broadly) correct section on the game page:

http://j-archive.com/showgame.php?game_ ... ardy_round

http://j-archive.com/showgame.php?game_ ... ardy_round


You can also do the following as an in-joke or an OCD tic if you like:

http://j-archive.com/showgame.php?game_ ... ardy_round

User avatar
nuveena
Newbie
Posts: 6
Joined: Fri Jan 23, 2015 1:12 am

Re: Monday, March 2, 2015 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

Post by nuveena » Tue Mar 03, 2015 1:56 pm

I was in the audience for this game. I smiled as soon as I saw the FJ clue. "Ha! Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas," I thought. "By...crap, what's his name...Johnny Depp's played him in the movie...Uncle Duke from Doonesbury is based on him...He's got an initial in his name...Augh!" Aaaaand, time's up.

User avatar
kristinsausville
2015 TOC'er
Posts: 207
Joined: Thu Aug 18, 2011 4:53 pm

Re: Monday, March 2, 2015 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

Post by kristinsausville » Tue Mar 03, 2015 3:11 pm

nuveena wrote:I was in the audience for this game. I smiled as soon as I saw the FJ clue. "Ha! Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas," I thought. "By...crap, what's his name...Johnny Depp's played him in the movie...Uncle Duke from Doonesbury is based on him...He's got an initial in his name...Augh!" Aaaaand, time's up.
I was too! Did you tape later that day?
Follow me on Twitter: @ksausville

User avatar
TenPoundHammer
Otters are meant to swim
Posts: 7851
Joined: Fri Jul 01, 2011 2:59 pm
Location: Michigan
Contact:

Re: Monday, March 2, 2015 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

Post by TenPoundHammer » Tue Mar 03, 2015 3:19 pm

nuveena wrote:I was in the audience for this game. I smiled as soon as I saw the FJ clue. "Ha! Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas," I thought. "By...crap, what's his name...Johnny Depp's played him in the movie...Uncle Duke from Doonesbury is based on him...He's got an initial in his name...Augh!" Aaaaand, time's up.
Wow, almost exactly the same thing I did.
Ten Pound Hammer

This space for rent

User avatar
Rex Kramer
Jeopardy! TOCer
Posts: 1336
Joined: Fri Jul 01, 2011 6:08 am

Re: Monday, March 2, 2015 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

Post by Rex Kramer » Tue Mar 03, 2015 3:30 pm

eboettch wrote:I had Tom Wolfe for final and switched to Kesey because I thought the judges wouldn't want the hassle of determining if Wolfe, Woolf, or Thomas Wolfe was acceptable.

Searched the archive so I could learn more about this Hunter S. Thompson fellow, and it looks like a variation on this clue appeared as a final in 2005 - given the first line, contestants had to respond with the book, not the author. Only 1/2 got it right then, though HST had died earlier that year.

ETA: Austin Powers posted the link a while before I did; sorry for the redundancy.
Yeah, back in my day, respectable Jeopardy! contestants didn't understand drug-reference clues! That's how the riff-raff could win!

Actually, I thought at the time, "Everyone is going to get this -- HST died earlier this year!"

I wonder if it means you reached some kind of game-show obsolescence if they start re-using your FJ clues.

Rex
Last edited by Rex Kramer on Tue Mar 03, 2015 4:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
opusthepenguin
The Best Darn Penguin on the Whole JBoard
Posts: 6913
Joined: Thu Aug 11, 2011 2:33 pm
Location: Shawnee, KS
Contact:

Re: Monday, March 2, 2015 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

Post by opusthepenguin » Tue Mar 03, 2015 3:34 pm

Rex Kramer wrote:
eboettch wrote:I had Tom Wolfe for final and switched to Kesey because I thought the judges wouldn't want the hassle of determining if Wolfe, Woolf, or Thomas Wolfe was acceptable.

Searched the archive so I could learn more about this Hunter S. Thompson fellow, and it looks like a variation on this clue appeared as a final in 2005 - given the first line, contestants had to respond with the book, not the author. Only 1/2 got it right then, though HST had died earlier that year.

ETA: Austin Powers posted the link a while before I did; sorry for the redundancy.
Yeah, back in my day, respectable Jeopardy! contestants didn't understand drug-reference clues! That's how the riff-raff could win!

Actually, I thought at the time, "Everyone is going to get this -- HST died earlier this year!"

I wonder if it means you reached some kind of game-show obsolescence if they start re-using your FJ clues.
Ha!

It looks to me like the riff-raff had a lock game going into FJ and needs to find another excuse for knowing such a disreputable fact.

User avatar
Rex Kramer
Jeopardy! TOCer
Posts: 1336
Joined: Fri Jul 01, 2011 6:08 am

Re: Monday, March 2, 2015 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

Post by Rex Kramer » Tue Mar 03, 2015 3:38 pm

opusthepenguin wrote:
Rex Kramer wrote:
eboettch wrote:I had Tom Wolfe for final and switched to Kesey because I thought the judges wouldn't want the hassle of determining if Wolfe, Woolf, or Thomas Wolfe was acceptable.

Searched the archive so I could learn more about this Hunter S. Thompson fellow, and it looks like a variation on this clue appeared as a final in 2005 - given the first line, contestants had to respond with the book, not the author. Only 1/2 got it right then, though HST had died earlier that year.

ETA: Austin Powers posted the link a while before I did; sorry for the redundancy.
Yeah, back in my day, respectable Jeopardy! contestants didn't understand drug-reference clues! That's how the riff-raff could win!

Actually, I thought at the time, "Everyone is going to get this -- HST died earlier this year!"

I wonder if it means you reached some kind of game-show obsolescence if they start re-using your FJ clues.
Ha!

It looks to me like the riff-raff had a lock game going into FJ and needs to find another excuse for knowing such a disreputable fact.
"I was somewhere between the Green Room and the set when the drugs began to take hold."

User avatar
Silverfox
Don't Step on My Tail!
Posts: 279
Joined: Sun Nov 16, 2014 1:27 pm
Location: Deptford, New Jersey

Re: Monday, March 2, 2015 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

Post by Silverfox » Tue Mar 03, 2015 6:20 pm

I did not like the category Hidden Gems. I did not even make an attempt to provide an answer for any of them. UGH!
No good on FJ. I need to read that book.
Be alert. Stupid never takes a day off!

Post Reply