FJs for the 3/2/15 week

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

Which FJs did you solve correctly for the 3/2/15 week?

Poll ended at Mon May 25, 2015 8:58 pm

He wrote the 1971 opener "We were somewhere around Barstow on the edge of the desert when the drugs began to take hold"
69%
It's the only state name that can be typed using the letters on only one row of the standard keyboard
52%
When the current Presidential occupant of the White House was born, this President was living there
66%
She was called a "Trailblazer for America's daughters" when she won in 2012, a century after founding an org.
39%
Springsteen said David Sancious was "The only member of the group who ever actually lived" there
65%
:mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: I checked all five above.
8%
:( :( :( :( :( I missed all the FJs.
2%
LITERARY CHARACTERS $800: This author created Eliot Rosewater & Kilgore Trout
59%
STATE HOLIDAYS $1000: This state's Pioneer Day honors those who fled west from Illinois for religious freedom
77%
1920s SLANG $200: "Bangtails" were these critters--got a hot tip on one?
36%
My incorrect guess for the Monday FJ! clue was Jack Kerouac.
9%
My incorrect guess for the Monday FJ! clue was Ken Kesey.
4%
My incorrect guess for the Monday FJ! clue was Tom Wolfe.
3%
My incorrect guess for the Wednesday FJ! clue was Eisenhower.
17%
My incorrect guess for the Wednesday FJ! clue was Lyndon Johnson.
11%
For the Thursday FJ! clue I knew it was the founder of the Girl Scouts, but I did not know her name.
34%

Total votes: 130

MarkBarrett
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

FJs for the 3/2/15 week

Post by MarkBarrett »

3/2 FINAL JEOPARDY! CATEGORY
LITERARY FIRST LINES

3/2 FINAL JEOPARDY! CLUE
He wrote the 1971 opener "We were somewhere around Barstow on the edge of the desert when the drugs began to take hold"

3/3 FINAL JEOPARDY! CATEGORY
U.S. STATES

3/3 FINAL JEOPARDY! CLUE
It's the only state name that can be typed using the letters on only one row of the standard keyboard

3/4 FINAL JEOPARDY! CATEGORY
PRESIDENTS & THE WHITE HOUSE

3/4 FINAL JEOPARDY! CLUE
When the current Presidential occupant of the White House was born, this President was living there

3/5 FINAL JEOPARDY! CATEGORY
PRESIDENTIAL MEDAL OF FREEDOM WINNERS

3/5 FINAL JEOPARDY! CLUE
She was called a "Trailblazer for America's daughters" when she won in 2012, a century after founding an org.

3/6 FINAL JEOPARDY! CATEGORY
ROCK & ROLL HALL OF FAME INDUCTION SPEAKERS

3/6 FINAL JEOPARDY! CLUE
Springsteen said David Sancious was "The only member of the group who ever actually lived" there

Correct responses in spoiler box:
Spoiler
Hunter S. Thompson
Alaska
John F. Kennedy
Juliette Gordon Low
E Street
The players were 6/15 (40.00%) with a 3-1-0-1-1 success pattern.

The extra clues have two correct by the players followed by a requested triple stumper.

LITERARY CHARACTERS $800: This author created Eliot Rosewater & Kilgore Trout

STATE HOLIDAYS $1000: This state's Pioneer Day honors those who fled west from Illinois for religious freedom

1920s SLANG $200: "Bangtails" were these critters--got a hot tip on one?

Correct responses in spoiler box:
Spoiler
Kurt Vonnegut
Utah
Horse
MarkBarrett

Re: FJs for the 3/2/15 week

Post by MarkBarrett »

:mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :oops:
:mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:
New Jersey :oops:
StevenH
Not J! Contestant Material

Post by StevenH »

:mrgreen: :( :( :( :mrgreen:
:mrgreen: :mrgreen: :(
Eisenhower

When Monday's FJ came up a few years back I had no idea and guessed On the Road. I knew better this time.
Plactus

Post by Plactus »

:( :( :( :( :mrgreen:
:( :mrgreen: :(

Jack Kerouac (knew it wasn't but couldn't think of anyone else), no guess (and I dismissed Alaska, somehow), Lyndon B Johnson, Susan B Anthony (was pretty sure 1912 was too late but had no other guess).

Oddly, had I gone 0/5, Friday's is the one I would have felt least bad about missing. I'm not sure where I came up with that from.

I knew Vonnegut but couldn't come up with his name.
Oh, what has science wrought? I sought only to turn a man into a metal-encased juggernaut of destruction powered by the unknown properties of a mysterious living crystal. How could this have all gone wrong?
gobobbygo
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by gobobbygo »

:mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :( :mrgreen:
:mrgreen: :( :mrgreen:

Almost said Asbury Park on Springsteen question, would have hung my head in shame.
Carpe Diem
Boardeh

Post by Carpe Diem »

:mrgreen: :( :mrgreen: :oops: :oops:
:oops: :mrgreen: :(

The Talking Mime

Post by The Talking Mime »

:mrgreen: :( :mrgreen: :( :(
:mrgreen: :( :(

Below average week for me. Said Kansas on Tuesday, somehow went with Susan B. Anthony on Thursday, and I missed the TOM on Friday's clue and said Boston.

Utah also came to me too late.
"There is much pleasure to be gained from useless knowledge."
-Bertrand Russell
MinnesotaMyron
JBOARDIE OF THE MONTH!

Post by MinnesotaMyron »

For the Thursday FJ! clue I knew it was the founder of the Girl Scouts, but I said "Julia Ward Howe". -check mark-
Volante
Harbinger of the Doomed Lemur

Post by Volante »

:mrgreen: :( :( :( :mrgreen:
:mrgreen: :( :mrgreen:

Tue - Nothing in time
Wed - Eisenhower
Thu - "Girl Scout founder"
The best thing that Neil Armstrong ever did, was to let us all imagine we were him.
Latest movies (1-10): WIthnail & I (7), An Autumn Afternoon (7), Europa Europa (7), Tampopo (9)
nightreign
#TeamAlsoRans

Post by nightreign »

:( :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :(

Better-than-average week for me.
Kerouac on Monday.
Kennedy and Low were instagets.
I used to live in Utah, where fireworks were legal not only on New Years and the 4th of July, but also on Pioneer Day.

(Edit: Volante, your post is right above mine, so I just happened to notice that our weeks were exact opposites. Weird.)
ElendilPickle
ToC Enabler

Post by ElendilPickle »

:mrgreen: :( :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:
countyguy
Vacuously Undefeated on J!

Post by countyguy »

nightreign wrote: (Edit: Volante, your post is right above mine, so I just happened to notice that our weeks were exact opposites. Weird.)
Maybe you two should be a team!
Leander

Post by Leander »

:mrgreen: :( :mrgreen: :( :(

Was not getting to Alaska in 30 seconds.
Figured they were looking for the founder of the Girl Scouts, had no idea who she was.
Got confused on Friday, probably would have put down Asbury Park.
TenPoundHammer

Post by TenPoundHammer »

:( :( :( :( :(

I'd like to think that if these questions had all come up in a different week, I'd have gotten most if not all of them right. My brain just managed to glitch out and make me do stupid things like forget who wrote Fear and Loathing, the letter K being on home row, Obama being born in 1961, the name of the founder of the Girl Scouts, and the fact that maybe a band associated with Springsteen might be a good guess.
Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Post by Bamaman »

:( :( :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

For the season: 72-53
TOC: 5-5
Teachers: 5-5
Kids Week:4-1
Longest winning streak: 5 (active 3)
Longest losing streak: 4

5/5: 0
4/5: 6
3/5: 11
2/5: 7
1/5: 1
0/5: 0

I was on the wrong road on Monday and guessed Utah on Tuesday. No problems the rest of the week. I did spell the woman's name Lowe, but I'm sure they'd have taken that.
Last edited by Bamaman on Sat Mar 14, 2015 10:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.
BigDaddyMatty
Hoping not to get pruney this time

Post by BigDaddyMatty »

:mrgreen: :( :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

No guess on any of the sad faces.

I'm generally a big fan of word-related clues/FJ!s, but I found the Alaska one really arbitrary. The only TOM-like feature is the distribution of vowels across the keyboard rows, and playing the odds on that information leads one away from the correct response. Specifying the home row instead of any row would have made the clue a lot fairer IMO.
Sprinkles are for winners.
Volante

Post by Volante »

BigDaddyMatty wrote::mrgreen: :( :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

I'm generally a big fan of word-related clues/FJ!s, but I found the Alaska one really arbitrary. The only TOM-like feature is the distribution of vowels across the keyboard rows, and playing the odds on that information leads one away from the correct response. Specifying the home row instead of any row would have made the clue a lot fairer IMO.
I've been mulling a theory about Alaska... who remembers when you're allowed to write for the FJ clue? Is it always available or does it not start working until the music starts?
The best thing that Neil Armstrong ever did, was to let us all imagine we were him.
Latest movies (1-10): WIthnail & I (7), An Autumn Afternoon (7), Europa Europa (7), Tampopo (9)
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

Volante wrote:
BigDaddyMatty wrote::mrgreen: :( :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

I've been mulling a theory about Alaska... who remembers when you're allowed to write for the FJ clue? Is it always available or does it not start working until the music starts?
In 2005 I did not have to wait for the music. The clue appeared (and I could start writing) then Alex read it. Even if you do not know the correct response, you should immediately tap the pen on the glass as if you are writing, to rattle your opponents. :lol:
Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Post by Bamaman »

It occurred to me the Alaska FJ would be one they could not use if a blind contestant were on the show, assuming a Braille keyboard is the same as the one sighted people use. Or the Kids Week contestant that time that had to use a keyboard in FJ because of some defect he had that kept him from gripping a pen.
Volante

Post by Volante »

MarkBarrett wrote: In 2005 I did not have to wait for the music. The clue appeared (and I could start writing) then Alex read it. Even if you do not know the correct response, you should immediately tap the pen on the glass as if you are writing, to rattle your opponents. :lol:
So, obviously in hindsight, but I timed with a whiteboard and apparently I can scribble out the top and home rows in about 10 seconds (no vowels in the bottom row, would've skipped it). Wonder if that would've helped...(looking at the letters, I -think- I could've gotten it in 10-15) I'd also have to have remembered to cross out my 'hints' as time ended :P Or would that have been frowned upon?

Would've looked amusing on the screen at least.