Wednesday, March 11, 2015 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

Archivists
Fan-created archive of games and players

Wednesday, March 11, 2015 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

Post by Archivists »

Placeholder for J! Round
Archivists
Fan-created archive of games and players

Re: Wednesday, March 11, 2015 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

Post by Archivists »

DOUBLE JEOPARDY! ROUND CATEGORIES
LITERA-SEA (4/5, including 1 correct Daily Double)
THE OSCAR-WINNING DIRECTOR (5/5)
SPY TECH (4/5, including 1 correct Daily Double)
ELEMENTARY WORDS (5/5) (Alex: Each correct response will be a shorter word that is formed from some of the letters in "elementary".)
IRISH HISTORY (5/5)
THE EMERALD AISLE (4/5) (Alex: And Ireland of course...)

THE RIGHTS & THE WRONGS
Kristin: 13 R (including 1 DD), 0 W
Jim: 8 R (including 1 rebound and 1 DD), 0 W
Penny: 6 R, 1 W

Clues revealed: 30
Triple Stumpers: 3
Double Jeopardy! Round Potential Lach Trash: $4,800

FIRST DOUBLE JEOPARDY! ROUND DAILY DOUBLE
Kristin snagged the next Daily Double on the 10th clue. Penny had $3,200, Kristin had $7,000, and Jim was at $2,800. Kristin wagered $2,000.

LITERA-SEA $800: Adventures in this 1870 novel include traveling under the polar ice cap & the discovery of Atlantis

SECOND DOUBLE JEOPARDY! ROUND DAILY DOUBLE
It was Jim who snatched up the last Daily Double of the game on the 17th clue. Penny had $4,400, Kristin had $11,000, and Jim was at $4,800. Jim wagered $1,200.

SPY TECH $2000: A hub of cyberspying on U.S. institutions is the Shanghai base of P.L.A. Unit 61398, P.L.A. short for this

TRIPLE STUMPERS IN THE DOUBLE JEOPARDY! ROUND
LITERA-SEA $1600: In this Jack London novel, Wolf Larsen is the captain of the Ghost, once a private yacht

SPY TECH $1600: A quick explosion found before "of speed"; before "transmission", it's a message encoded by playing it at high speed

THE EMERALD AISLE $1600: Since the arrival of the conquistadors, this South American country has been the mecca for emeralds

SCORES ENTERING FINAL JEOPARDY!
Kristin: $15,000
Penny: $12,400
Jim: $9,200

FINAL JEOPARDY! CATEGORY
2014 ALBUMS

VENUSIAN MONOLOGUES/MARTIAN CHRONICLES
Four-fifths for first place.
Kristin: Wager $9,801 to cover Penny.
Penny: You're faced with a legitimate choice in strategy. You can either choose to cover Jim, hoping that you give the correct response and Kristin doesn't, in which case you'll want to wager $6,001 to cover Jim's doubled score, but no more than $7,200 if you want to top Kristin on a Triple Stumper; or bet up to $3,199 and win if both Kristin and Jim miss Final.
Jim: If you think Penny is going to wager to cover you, try wagering less than $2,800 to beat Kristin and Penny on the Triple Stumper; or, if you think Penny is going to wager small in hopes of a Triple Stumper, wager between $3,201 (venusian, to top a $0 wager by Penny) and $9,200 (martian, which may win in some cases but may also risk dropping you from second to third place if you get Final wrong).

FINAL JEOPARDY! CLUE
With a new release & 8 viral videos to go with it, he had the first comedy album in 50 years to top the Billboard 200

FINAL SCORES
Jim: $9,200 + $3,000 = $12,200 (Who is Weird Al Yankovic?) (3rd place)
Penny: $12,400 + $6,100 = $18,500 (Who is Weird Al Yankovich) (2nd place)
Kristin: $15,000 + $9,801 = $24,801 (Who is Weird Al Yankovich?) (New champion: $24,801)
(Alex: [To Jim] And you wrote his name correctly, with a "C" at the end.)
(Alex: [To Penny] You got him, even though you put in an "H".)

Total Potential Lach Trash: $8,800

GAME DYNAMICS

CORYAT SCORES
Kristin: $15,600, 20 R (including 1 DD), 4 W (including 1 DD)
Penny: $12,400, 18 R, 5 W
Jim: $10,000, 13 R (including 1 DD), 1 W
Combined Coryat: $38,000

BATTING AVERAGES
Kristin: 21/60 = .350
Penny: 19/58 = .328
Jim: 14/59 = .237
Team: 54/63 = .857

MISCELLANEOUS INTERESTING CLUES
THEY WERE ALL "YELLOW" $800: Game fish of the genus Seriola that makes for a popular sushi
(Penny: What is yellow fin tuna?)

YOU DO THE MATH $200: Number of ounces in a pound plus the number of pints in a gallon
(Penny: What is 20?)
(Alex: [*]; 16 and 8.)

YOU DO THE MATH $800: It's the square root of a gross
(Alex: Yes. A gross is 144.)

YOU DO THE MATH $1000: Number of original U.S. colonies minus the number of official solar planets farther out than Earth
(Kristin: What is 6?)
(Penny: What is 7?)
(Alex: Yes, 13 colonies, 5 planets outside of us.)

THE OSCAR-WINNING DIRECTOR $400: 1997:
"Titanic" sank his competition
(Alex: And with that, you're out of the hole.)

THE OSCAR-WINNING DIRECTOR $2000: 2012:
"Life of Pi" was his second win, not his 3.14th
(Alex: Well done.)
[Applause for Kristin's run of the category]
(Alex: You're at $5,800 and in the lead after just one category.)
(Kristen: All right. Hopefully let's keep it going. Let's try IRISH HISTORY for $400.)

SPY TECH $400: An NSA career in electrical engineering may include designing these, aka aerials
(Penny: What are drones?)

THE EMERALD AISLE $800: Green Lake Park is one reason "The Emerald City" is the nickname for this West Coast city

CORRECT RESPONSES
Exodus
a Juliet sleeve
a tulip skirt
Miquelon
Psalms
Joshua
"20,000 Leagues Under the Sea"
People's Liberation Army
The Sea-Wolf
"burst"
Colombia
"Weird Al" Yankovic
yellowtail
James Cameron
Ang Lee
antennas
Seattle
jeff6286
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by jeff6286 »

2014 Albums
With a new release & 8 viral videos to go with it, he had the first comedy album in 50 years to top the Billboard 200.

Spoiler
Who is Weird Al Yankovic?

Kristin Sausville: $15,000+$9,801+$24,801...now a 1-day champion with $24,801
Penny Reid: $12,400+$6,100=$18,500
Jim Luh: $9,200+$3,000=$12,200
Last edited by jeff6286 on Wed Mar 11, 2015 8:50 pm, edited 2 times in total.
boson
Trivial

Post by boson »

Best of retroactive luck Kristin!
econgator
Let's Go Mets!

Post by econgator »

boson wrote:Best of retroactive luck Kristin!
Indeed!
floridagator

Post by floridagator »

Another hot game! Penny just couldn't replicate her magic from yesterday. It all came down to a Triple Get FJ. Congratulations to new champion Kristin!

It looks like the last comedy album to to the Billboard album chart was "My Son the Nut" by Allan Sherman in 1963, which followed on the heels of his #1 "My Son the Folksinger" the previous year. "The First Family" by Vaughn Meader was also #1 in 1962-63. That means the only other artist who's had a #1 comedy album was Bob Newhart, who hit back to back in 1960 and 1961 with "The Button Down Mind of Bob Newhart" and "The Button Down Mind Strikes Back."

Although therapist Bill Cosby had eight gold comedy albums, none of them made it to #1.
I'd rather cuddle then have sex. If you're into grammar, you'll understand.
Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Post by Bamaman »

I thought I had zero chance on FJ with that category. But thanks in part to a recent thread on this board, it was an Instaget.

Congrats to Kristen on her victory. I went on an Alaskan cruise last summer and I would highly recommend it to you and Justin.
ej!
Valued Contributor

Post by ej! »

The two people who said "Yankovich" should've lost on Jeopardy. Changing the spelling so it changes the pronunciation is a no no.
dhkendall
Pursuing the Dream

Post by dhkendall »

ej! wrote:The two people who said "Yankovich" should've lost on Jeopardy. Changing the spelling so it changes the pronunciation is a no no.
Nope, a final "ch", especially in Eastern European names like Yancovic's, can be pronounced as a hard "c". (See Lech Walesa for an example).

Congrats Kristen! Nice to see that you showed a wheelhouse category in DJ! can really turn a game around for someone!

(Got Weird Al playing as I typed the first part of this message. :))
"Jeopardy! is two parts luck and one part luck" - Me

"The way to win on Jeopardy is to be a rabidly curious, information-omnivorous person your entire life." - Ken Jennings

Follow my progress game by game since 2012
ej!
Valued Contributor

Post by ej! »

It's a specific name of a specific person. Al has always pronounced his name with a hard C at the end.
MinnesotaMyron
JBOARDIE OF THE MONTH!

Post by MinnesotaMyron »

From Fikkle Fame: "Kristin is a stay-at-home mom and she is also the wife of 6x Jeopardy! champ Justin Sausville. They showed a commercial highlighting that before the show with Kristin saying “Wish me luck honey!”"

That is awesome. Congrats Kristin, and here's to many more.
dhkendall
Pursuing the Dream

Post by dhkendall »

ej! wrote:It's a specific name of a specific person. Al has always pronounced his name with a hard C at the end.
Precedent. Other names have been treated the same way. (Anyone with encyclopedic J! knowledge care to help out and quote specifics?)
"Jeopardy! is two parts luck and one part luck" - Me

"The way to win on Jeopardy is to be a rabidly curious, information-omnivorous person your entire life." - Ken Jennings

Follow my progress game by game since 2012
TenPoundHammer

Post by TenPoundHammer »

Lach Trash: burst.

Good performance by Kristin. Running the Directors category seemed to put a bit of a spring in her step.

I thoguht $800 in "yellow" was negbait for yellowfin. NHO yellowtail or yellowcake.

0/5 in Women's Clothing. No recognition at all in any of them, and I saw no way to get any of them unless you're a sharp-dressed woman. What led to "boat" at $200? Is it knowing a not-at-all-surface-level French word?!

Miquelon and Jane the Virgin were monstrous jumps in difficulty in their categories IMO, and kept me at 4/5.

$400 in Chapter 1 sounded more Proverbial to me even though I recognized the line. Couldn't pull Matthew, no guess on Joshua or Exodus (almost WAGged I Chronicles on the latter).

4/5 in Math. Didn't know how many 15-minute breaks are in football.

Precalled Cameron in Directors, but that is not one of the two movies I like from him.

What led to Thailand on Emerald for $400?

Overthought Elementary for $1600. Defense had me thinking somewhere in the Cabinet and I couldn't get back to "army" in time.

Antenna = aerial?!

Brainstormed 2014 albums. Awesome Mixtape Vol. 1., Mandatory Fun, 1989, and Anything Goes were the first four that came to mind. I had the correct response at "viral videos". I predict this may be our first ever non-Kids Week 100%.
OSXpert

Post by OSXpert »

I'm struggling to come up with a way that someone could have gotten that FJ wrong...is there any other comedy solo artist out there?

Flight of the Conchords, Tenacious D, and Lonely Island are duos/trios, so they weren't possible answers.
UniquePerspective

Post by UniquePerspective »

Would they have just taken "Weird Al"? I might have gone with that because I wasn't super confident on the spelling.

Well done Kristin, the Oscars category was the start of some great positive momentum, and I'm glad to see someone really enjoy their win as it seems like you did.
Abraxas

Post by Abraxas »

Congratulations, Kristin, for coming from $200 in the red at the end of the first round, to winning the game! It was great that you ran the "Oscar-Winning Directors" category and surged into first place after just 5 clues of the second round. The game was well played by all three contestants. I had 34 correct responses including five triple stumpers: juliet sleeve, tulip, Exodus, burst, and Colombia. Instaget FJ.
Elijah Baley

Post by Elijah Baley »

ej! wrote:It's a specific name of a specific person. Al has always pronounced his name with a hard C at the end.
CH can be pronounced as a hard C, particularly with Central European languages. Tomas Berdych (Czech), Lech Walesa (Polish), etc. As I understand it, they ding you for an extra syllable, for example, but not an alternate spelling for the same sound.
Golf

Post by Golf »

ej! wrote:The two people who said "Yankovich" should've lost on Jeopardy. Changing the spelling so it changes the pronunciation is a no no.
You haven't posted in a year and break your silence to be wrong? Odd.

Kristin played a solid DJ although wasn't at all fond of either of the challenger's wagers on the DD's in DJ. Gotta take retroactive advantage of those precious low level DD's Kristin!
grindcore
Some Guy

Post by grindcore »

Congrats Kristin on a great comeback and win.

Pretty sure Carrot Top and Emo Phillips had quiet years in 2014 so Weird Al was just about unmissable.

However, it's a hard C. If the answer to an FJ was Joe Sakic, and a contestant wrote Joe Sakich, no way that would be accepted. Even though Sakic's name is eastern european in origin, it's pronounced with a hard C. Seems the only reason this one was allowed to slide was that everyone pronounces it wrong anyway.

Polling Miquelon would be interesting. Growing up in Quebec and going to francophone school my whole life enabled me to get that one, but not sure how prominent they are in other peoples' minds.

I bit on Proverbs and yellowfin.
mxc_takeshi

Post by mxc_takeshi »

34 right.

Chapter (2), West (4), Math (3), "Yellow" (3), Women (1), TV (5)
Litera (3), Oscar (5), Spy (2), Word (1), Irish (3), Aisle (2)

Lach Trash: "Juliet", "burst"

I could only come up with Louis C.K. I didn't even think about music, despite the Billboard presence.