Thursday, March 12, 2015 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

heelsrule1988
Sports Jeopardy! Alum/VVL #19

Re: Thursday, March 12, 2015 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

Post by heelsrule1988 »

kristinsausville wrote:Ravens are my AFC team, Cowboys are my NFC team (born in Texas, moved to Baltimore as a young adult). Justin is a Baltimore/Washington fan. We never reconciled our NFC East fandoms, and as we moved to Delaware, ended up with Eagles fan kids as a result.
That is insanely complicated... it reminds me of that one commercial from last season. :lol:

Regarding your AFC team: I miss Smitty. :(
Regarding your NFC team: see you next season. 8-)
Johnblue
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by Johnblue »

kristinsausville wrote:
opusthepenguin wrote:Ouch. Painful to watch. Great job staying clam, Kristin. I think your thumb must have slipped on the buzzer that one time when you rang in after the other two had given wrong responses and you didn't have an answer either.

That DD for Pisces was ridiculous! Unless there was a TOM I missed. I don't mind if they do that in a regular question and reward the contestant who happens to know the dates associated with each sign (or who happens to have be a Pisces). But it's just mean to buttonhole a single contestant and force her to respond or lose money on that clue. Knowing precise dates for astrological signs is at best on the fringes of the Jeopardy! canon. And the clue didn't even directly ask which sign corresponded to the start of Spring. You had to infer that. Just nasty.
I had been trying to ring in with Giant, then Stephanie said it and it was wrong. I hadn't stopped ringing and therefore had nothing.

I got March and May mixed up. I used to be really into astrology as a teenager and if I had thought about it for another few seconds, I would've remembered.
nuveena wrote:Kristin, there's a seeming edit I'm curious about. In the Yankee Doodle Dandy question, there appeared to be an edit between the response, "Who is Cohen (pronounced Co-en)?" and Alex's response of "Yes, George M. Cohan (pronounced Co-han)." Was there a pause in the game for judges to check that or was this just edited for time?
I don't remember, sorry.

So Big used to be featured in the NYT crossword frequently otherwise I would have never heard of it.
dhkendall
Pursuing the Dream

Post by dhkendall »

We should have an option on the poll "Thursday's game was my lowest this week in my Coryats". :)
"Jeopardy! is two parts luck and one part luck" - Me

"The way to win on Jeopardy is to be a rabidly curious, information-omnivorous person your entire life." - Ken Jennings

Follow my progress game by game since 2012
TenPoundHammer

Post by TenPoundHammer »

dhkendall wrote:We should have an option on the poll "Thursday's game was my lowest this week in my Coryats". :)
Hey now, at least start off the week with your second consecutive $0 Coryat. (Even worse, $0 isn't even close to my record low for this season. I had -$3,600 on 12/30.)

What obvious TOM did I miss in FJ!, anyway? That seemed wide open.
dhkendall
Pursuing the Dream

Post by dhkendall »

TenPoundHammer wrote:
dhkendall wrote:We should have an option on the poll "Thursday's game was my lowest this week in my Coryats". :)
Hey now, at least start off the week with your second consecutive $0 Coryat. (Even worse, $0 isn't even close to my record low for this season. I had -$3,600 on 12/30.)

What obvious TOM did I miss in FJ!, anyway? That seemed wide open.
Ummm, why are you tracking your Coryat again if you're not trying to get on? Comparing Coryats to those who are when you're "Not J! Contestant Material" is like comparing apples to philosophy. We've said this before, don't worry about tracking your score if you'[re not trying to get on, you'll have a lot less grey hair before you're 30 if you do.

"The way to win on Jeopardy is to be a rabidly curious, information-omnivorous person your entire life." - Ken Jennings

dhkendall
Pursuing the Dream

Post by dhkendall »

It's interesting to see not only the in-depth media coverage over this game, but even the fact that it's a trending topic on Facebook (below), making people think / reinforcing the belief "OMG this is so unique, it's newsworthy, it never happened before" whereas us regulars just looked at this like another Saturday at the office. I suppose, in this day of social media and the like, people tend to think of themselves more of experts in things where we actually know less. And here I thought a device that puts all of humanity's knowledge at our fingertips would make us smarter, instead of contributing to our collective dumbening.
Attachments
Untitled.tiff
Untitled.tiff (16.26 KiB) Viewed 3516 times

lieph82

Post by lieph82 »

Come on, sure, it's not the first time, but it's still very unusual.
Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Post by Bamaman »

lieph82 wrote:Come on, sure, it's not the first time, but it's still very unusual.
Agree. It has happened maybe five times in 31 seasons. I'd say it is pretty newsworthy.
dhkendall
Pursuing the Dream

Post by dhkendall »

Bamaman wrote:
lieph82 wrote:Come on, sure, it's not the first time, but it's still very unusual.
Agree. It has happened maybe five times in 31 seasons. I'd say it is pretty newsworthy.
On a slow news day, maybe.

My point is: did it make the news in similar fashion the first few times this happened? Probably not. If it was, it wasn't a really big story that people talked about. Social media tends to blow up the insignificant stories.

GoodStrategy
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by GoodStrategy »

Bamaman wrote:
It's happened six or seven times, depending on whether or not you count that Celebrity game where they gave the contestants without any money some anyway.
Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Post by Bamaman »

GoodStrategy wrote:
Bamaman wrote:
It's happened six or seven times, depending on whether or not you count that Celebrity game where they gave the contestants without any money some anyway.
This is a good omen for Kristen. Five of the single player FJ people were in the TOC and another one walked on the moon.
JayK33
Just a Fan

Post by JayK33 »

Bamaman wrote:
GoodStrategy wrote:
Bamaman wrote:
This is a good omen for Kristen. Five of the single player FJ people were in the TOC and another one walked on the moon.
lol I love that comparison.
Category 13
Wagering Viking

FJ irony

Post by Category 13 »

BigDaddyMatty wrote:
TenPoundHammer wrote:
countyguy wrote:and this game had the lowest Combined Coryat at $1,500 ($3,000 post-doubled).
That is probably the most hyper-specific FJ! response ever.
There's nothing particularly hyper-specific about it. They probably would have accepted just "Mir," but certainly "Mir crash" would have been enough. It was basically just a current events question asking "What (presumably one-time) event occurred in the Pacific Ocean a few months ago that would have been a big enough deal for airlines to have to alter flight plans?"
Perhaps more intersting about that clue was, it was recorded (I presume) not long before 9/11, and televised shortly after. So the TV audience had probably forgotten about the Mir incident for the most part.
Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Post by Bamaman »

Interestingly, the Mir splashdown was a clue on Monday's show.
silverscreentest
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by silverscreentest »

Volante wrote:
bpmod wrote:
opusthepenguin wrote:That DD for Pisces was ridiculous! Unless there was a TOM I missed. I don't mind if they do that in a regular question and reward the contestant who happens to know the dates associated with each sign (or who happens to have be a Pisces). But it's just mean to buttonhole a single contestant and force her to respond or lose money on that clue. Knowing precise dates for astrological signs is at best on the fringes of the Jeopardy! canon. And the clue didn't even directly ask which sign corresponded to the start of Spring. You had to infer that. Just nasty.
I musta got lucky on that one, inference and all. I said Pisces because I know somebody who is a Pisces and that is the sign we are in right now. But, it would appear that the start of Spring is, at best, on the cusp of Pisces and whatever is next (which I would have to look up (even though I know lots of people under that sign, too)).

Brian
Aries should count. Aries starts the list of zodiac signs as they start counting from the vernal equinox (a.k.a., the beginning of (traditional) spring). However they would also have to account for meteorological spring which starts March 1, which is Pisces.
This constellation is where you'll find the sun as spring begins in the Northern Hemisphere.
That DD was a fact known to every astronomy hobbyist.

Astronomers have a coordinate system for the sky, analogous to latitude and longitude. Astronomers also have divided the sky into territories called constellations. It's like countries, except there are no disputed territories or international waters. Every piece of the sky belongs to one and only constellation. The sun's location as astronomical spring begins in the Northern Hemisphere is a specific point that is definitively and unambiguously in the constellation Pisces.

Astrologers usually measure the sky solely along the ecliptic, the path of they sun across the sky. This is like defining a position on Earth only by longitude. The sun's location as astrological spring begins in the Northern Hemisphere is definitively and unambiguously in the sign of Aries.

The symbolism of astrology is aligned with the seasons. When it was established around 2000 years ago, the sun was actually in the constellation of Aries when spring began in the Northern Hemisphere. The Earth has wobbled since then and the first moment of spring is now in the constellation Pisces.

To astronomers, the sun passes through 13 constellations of various sizes over the course of the year, including Ophiuchus, the Serpent Bearer, which you've probably never heard of. Astrologers divide the sky into 12 equal sections aligned with the seasons that no longer correspond to the same constellations.

One could argue Volante's point that the clue was ambiguous and could be interpreted as meteorological spring. In that case, the sun in is the constellation Aquarius. Aries is absolutely an incorrect response.
Silver Screen Test, my movie trivia game show. Watch some of the episodes On-Demand.
Volante
Harbinger of the Doomed Lemur

Post by Volante »

silverscreentest wrote:
Volante wrote: Aries should count. Aries starts the list of zodiac signs as they start counting from the vernal equinox (a.k.a., the beginning of (traditional) spring). However they would also have to account for meteorological spring which starts March 1, which is Pisces.
This constellation is where you'll find the sun as spring begins in the Northern Hemisphere.
That DD was a fact known to every astronomy hobbyist.

Astronomers have a coordinate system for the sky, analogous to latitude and longitude. Astronomers also have divided the sky into territories called constellations. It's like countries, except there are no disputed territories or international waters. Every piece of the sky belongs to one and only constellation. The sun's location as astronomical spring begins in the Northern Hemisphere is a specific point that is definitively and unambiguously in the constellation Pisces.

Astrologers usually measure the sky solely along the ecliptic, the path of they sun across the sky. This is like defining a position on Earth only by longitude. The sun's location as astrological spring begins in the Northern Hemisphere is definitively and unambiguously in the sign of Aries.

The symbolism of astrology is aligned with the seasons. When it was established around 2000 years ago, the sun was actually in the constellation of Aries when spring began in the Northern Hemisphere. The Earth has wobbled since then and the first moment of spring is now in the constellation Pisces.

To astronomers, the sun passes through 13 constellations of various sizes over the course of the year, including Ophiuchus, the Serpent Bearer, which you've probably never heard of. Astrologers divide the sky into 12 equal sections aligned with the seasons that no longer correspond to the same constellations.

One could argue Volante's point that the clue was ambiguous and could be interpreted as meteorological spring. In that case, the sun in is the constellation Aquarius. Aries is absolutely an incorrect response.
Wait, what?...

Anyway, if the clue is ambiguous for meteorological spring, it's also ambiguous between astronomical and astrological spring. For that matter, spring can start Mar 21 which also starts Aries.

Finally, meteorological spring starts March 1, and I know for a fact that's Pisces, not Aquarius. If any of these is flat out wrong, it's Aquarius.
It might be gnawing away at my sanity in unhealthy ways, but I still remember my ex-gf's b-day AND the associated sign.
The best thing that Neil Armstrong ever did, was to let us all imagine we were him.
Latest movies (1-10): Everything Everywhere All at Once (10), Ruby Gillman: Teenage Kraken (6), Black Sunday /1960/ (6), Marcel the Shell with Shoes On (7)
willwoodlen
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by willwoodlen »

econgator wrote:
OSXpert wrote:I went with Tennessee Valley Authority, which was stupid I guess.
No, it isn't. The TVA came around 2 years before the SSA.
Thanks, econgator: TVA was my response, too. Although I realized afterward that my genealogical research might have focused me on the year 1935.
billiej

Post by billiej »

GoodStrategy wrote:[ whether or not you count that Celebrity game
Celebrity games never count. For anything. :evil:
Kid Charlemagne
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by Kid Charlemagne »

(Sadly, none of Kristin's episodes are up on J-Archive yet, so I'll have to go from imperfect memory.)

That, was, um, interesting.

I suppose it was pretty obvious that the champ had some poise and played her game, following the landmark comeback win from her debut. (That sounds like faint praise...but it's one of those things that tough to quantify or even articulate, so we spend more time here discussing FJ wagering strategies and specific answers, but some people crack under the lights and some people are the polar opposite of that.) In this particular game, that's what you had to have more than anything else. Brutal DJ round. There are probably some people out there with the knowledge base to have crushed it, but they were few and far between.

Stephanie has been subjected to a lot of ridicule. I did wince (Rachael Ray?) at a couple of her guesses..I'll echo whoever it was who figured a Geography Bee contestant would have fared better on East Asian Cities... but once she was far behind enough, absolutely the right thing to do is gamble and keep gambling. And go for the high-dollar questions, just like she did. Do your best Roger Craig imitation. Unfortunately, she's not Roger Craig, there was the "Giant" trap, and, really, this was not a good board to have for someone trying to mount a comeback anyway. People will say she's one of the worst contestants on Jeopardy, but that's not necessarily fair.

As for Brad, well, TPTB must have had their reasons, and they saw much more of him than I did, but nothing I saw suggested he had any business being up there.
Yes, there's gas in the car.
whoisalexjacob
2015 TOC'er

Post by whoisalexjacob »

In a recent game thread, I posted that one player lost while playing well enough to win on most days. In this game Kristin won with a lock while playing well enough to finish in 3rd on most days... nature of the beast.