FJs for the 3/16/15 week

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

Which FJs did you solve correctly for the 3/16/15 week?

Poll ended at Thu Oct 22, 2015 7:54 pm

Marquez is the last name of this character who debuted in 2000
82%
This 2-digit number is the smallest prime number whose digits are both themselves prime numbers
67%
2 of the world's greatest baroque composers, they were born within a month of each other in Germany in 1685 but never met
45%
Vivian Darkbloom, a minor character in a 1955 novel by this foreign-born author, is an anagram of his name
57%
Jean Valliere, burned in 1523, is considered the first martyr of this religious group
61%
:mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: I checked all five above.
18%
:( :( :( :( :( I missed all the FJs.
3%
THE LONDON STAGE $1600: In 2012 this murder mystery snared a record 60th year on the London stage
67%
NORTHERN WATERS $2000: The Torne River, which forms the border between Sweden & Finland, flows into this large gulf
52%
WORDS BORROWED FROM INDIA $1000: Today meaning a social outcast, it comes from Tamil for a member of a low caste
40%
My incorrect guess for the Tuesday FJ! clue was 11.
15%
My incorrect guess for the Tuesday FJ! clue was in the range of 31 and above.
7%
I had Bach as part of my response for the Wednesday FJ! clue. (check this even if you had both parts correct.)
81%
I had Handel as part of my response for the Wednesday FJ! clue. (check this even if you had both parts correct.)
43%
I had Brahms, Haydn or Beethoven as part of my incorrect response for the Wednesday FJ! clue.
34%
My response for the Friday FJ! clue was just Protestants.
18%

Total votes: 141

alietr
Site Admin

Re: FJs for the 3/16/15 week

Post by alietr »

Do we have a ruling on "Protestants" yet? Counting it yea or nay?
davey
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by davey »

alietr wrote:Do we have a ruling on "Protestants" yet? Counting it yea or nay?
It was established in the thread that other Protestants were killed before Valliere. He was the first French martyr.
skullturf
Married to a Jeopardy! Champion

Post by skullturf »

3/5

Didn't previously know Dora's surname, but knew she spoke Spanish, and knew the correct response would probably be someone known primarily by their first name.

Got Tuesday without too much trouble, because as a professional mathematician I didn't have to wonder about whether 1 counts as a prime.

Got J.S. Bach right away on Wednesday, but embarrassingly didn't get Handel in 30 seconds. I wrote "Vivaldi" for the second one just to have something, knowing full well that he wasn't German. (I think I erroneously thought Handel was later than he was. I associate him with one of the King Georges of England/Britain but I forgot *which* King George, and some of them are as late as the 1810s or 1820s or something.)

Got Thursday, but had previously seen that anagram so I just straight-up remembered it. It might have been harder to work out on the fly.

Missed Friday, but I explicitly said to myself, "I wonder if it's just 'Protestants' or if it's 'Huguenots'." But I wrote down "Protestants". :(
Lefty

Post by Lefty »

davey wrote:
Lefty wrote: In his autobiographical Speak, Memory Nabokov refers to "Vivian Bloodmark, a philosophical friend of mine." Darkbloom is Clare Quilty's collaborator in Lolita.
I've read both, but in "Speak", Vlad helpfully explained that the name was an anagram.
I'm smart and I want respect.
seaborgium
Undefeated in Reruns

Post by seaborgium »

:mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:
:mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

I had to wait for Friday's show to appear on YouTube, which it did today. Pretty simple get there, though I quibbled over what term to use before settling on Huguenot as the happy medium between being general (which might let other martyrs in before him) and specific (which risked naming a group the man in the clue wasn't part of).
I knew Thursday's cold and didn't have to futz around with the letters.
First thought 37 on Tuesday, I don't know why; more attractive, I guess. Then I remembered 2 was prime.
I got Handel right away on Wednesday because he's further forward in my mind, due to my having done several of his works in my choir. I had to rule out Haydn (because I knew he was an early teacher of Beethoven) before I realized, oh duh, German Baroque composer is obviously Bach.
karoliner
Valued Contributor

Post by karoliner »

:( :( :mrgreen:
My second time ever of "checked all five above"!
Had "Three Blind Mice" for "The Mousetrap".
Magna wrote: Good week for me. On Monday, I guessed Diego, Dora's cousin. His last name is also Marquez but I see from Wikipedia that he debuted in 2002, not 2000 (and got his own show in 2005).
Diego came to me first, but eventually I decided to go with the obvious.
This Is Kirk!
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by This Is Kirk! »

Sole FJ miss was Wednesday's. Bach was instant. My first thought on the other one was Handel, but I thought he might be English, so I ended up putting down Schubert instead.
hbomb1947
Still hoping to get on Jeopardy! while my age is in double digits

Post by hbomb1947 »

seaborgium wrote::mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

I had to wait for Friday's show to appear on YouTube, which it did today. Pretty simple get there, though I quibbled over what term to use before settling on Huguenot as the happy medium between being general (which might let other martyrs in before him) and specific (which risked naming a group the man in the clue wasn't part of).
What group would have been more specific than Huguenots?
Follow me on twitter, even though I rarely tweet! https://twitter.com/hbomb_worldwide
ElendilPickle
ToC Enabler

Post by ElendilPickle »

:mrgreen: :( :(
goatman
Man Who Stares At Goats!

Post by goatman »

Yay for another streak week. IMHO protestants wouldn't be acc, Huguenots = "French Protestant" they are a J-fav and frequent ask, they BMS for less...

I changed 11 to 23 when I realized in nick of time that '1' is technically NOT a prime #, because it causes problems in Euclidean theory of primes, doh!
Euler's Proof of Euclid's Theorem includes an expression {1/(1-1/p)} which goes to 1 when p=1 and renders nonsense. To include 1 as prime leads to an indefinite, progressively expanding universe of redundant, meaningless prime expressions:
A prime number (or a prime) is a natural number greater than 1 that has no positive divisors other than 1 and itself. A natural number greater than 1 that is not a prime number is called a composite number. For example, 5 is prime because 1 and 5 are its only positive integer factors, whereas 6 is composite because it has the divisors 2 and 3 in addition to 1 and 6. The fundamental theorem of arithmetic establishes the central role of primes in number theory: any integer greater than 1 can be expressed as a product of primes that is unique up to ordering. The uniqueness in this theorem requires excluding 1 as a prime because one can include arbitrarily many instances of 1 in any factorization, e.g., 3, 1 × 3, 1 × 1 × 3, etc. are all valid factorizations of 3.
Wrote '11' then said to self; "Hey Fool! Doesn't that look silly?! How can it be 1-1? Are you SURE you wanna say that?! DOH! Facesmack > Scratchout; 2-3. :oops:

On lighter side, Dora was instaget b/c image of my Diego lunchbox popped into head when I thought of Spanish cartoon chars, lol. Love my Diegobox!

Anagram full of 'V's'... 1955... >Lolita, Vlad Nabokov. Scurried afterwards to get my copy and there is Vivian, never noticed her before! LOL, sigh...

JS Bach & GF Handel were near-instagets, briefly considered Haydn (Surprise!) but recalled he was contemporary of Mozart, much later.
Handel was a long-term resident of England, he composed his Water Music Suite in honor of fellow countryman King George I of hanover. for 1717 Thames River Concerts. Not having heard of their association would put you at a disadvantage in responding to this as noted above it becomes confusing.
("Wasn't he English? But how...?) Remember, the Germans ruled England after Queen Anne, the last Stuart monarch passed in 1714.

The corridors of my mind are plastered with 3M Post-It notes!
mxc_takeshi

Post by mxc_takeshi »

Missed the Monday and Friday full shows. Got the Monday answer right from the clue here, and looked at the spoilers for Friday. I'm not 100% sure if I would have guessed that correctly, so I didn't count that one.
opusthepenguin
The Best Darn Penguin on the Whole JBoard

Post by opusthepenguin »

hbomb1947 wrote:

The Valliere Family House Church.
alietr
Site Admin

Post by alietr »

opusthepenguin wrote:
hbomb1947 wrote:

The Valliere Family House Church.
I think I've posted this here once before, but it is quite apropos here:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l3fAcxcxoZ8
OrangeSAM
(Unranked)

Breakdown of board scores on FJs for the 3/16/15 week

Post by OrangeSAM »

After 131 respondents:

:mrgreen: 26 got all 5 FJ!s
;) 26 got 4 FJ!s
:) 37 got 3 FJ!s
:( 24 got 2 FJ!s
:oops: 13 got 1 FJ!
:eek: 5 got 0 FJ!s

Average: 3.10 FJ!s correct.

My responses went: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :( :mrgreen: / :mrgreen: :( :(

Thur.: I got stuck on British authors. Never considered other nationalities.
OCSam
Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Post by Bamaman »

:mrgreen: :mrgreen: :( :( :mrgreen:
:mrgreen: :mrgreen: :(

Handel only

For the season: 80-55
TOC: 5-5
Kids Week:4-1
Teachers: 5-5