Wednesday, April 1, 2015 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

Archivists
Fan-created archive of games and players

Wednesday, April 1, 2015 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

Post by Archivists » Wed Apr 01, 2015 11:30 am

Game Recap for Show #7038, 2015-04-01

Kerry Greene game 1.

CONTESTANTS
Max Henkel, a project manager from Madison, Wisconsin
Kerry Greene, a volunteer guardian ad litem from Manchester, New Hampshire
Michael Bilow, a Ph.D. student in computer science originally from Chicago, Illinois (whose 3-day cash winnings total $96,000)

OPENING REMARKS
Alex: Thanks, Johnny. Thank you, ladies and gentlemen. Hope you were watching yesterday. Great day for Michael. Not a record-setting day. That record is still around $70,000-some, but Michael picked up $56,000. Meanwhile, we have a--a game to do. So, Kerry and Max, welcome aboard and good luck to you. Here we go. What are the categories in the first round today? They are...

JEOPARDY! ROUND CATEGORIES
THE CIVIL WAR YEARS (4/5)
WE'RE GONNA "MOON" YOU! (5/5)
OCCUPATIONAL THERAPY (4/5) (Alex: Next, in honor of [*] Month, a whole category on that subject.)
NICKNAMES (5/5, including 1 correct Daily Double)
BODY (5/5)
SOUL (4/5)

THE RIGHTS & THE WRONGS
Michael: 11 R (including 1 rebound and 1 DD), 3 W
Kerry: 9 R (including 2 rebounds), 1 W
Max: 7 R, 1 W

Clues revealed: 30
Triple Stumpers: 3
Jeopardy! Round Potential Lach Trash: $2,000

JEOPARDY! ROUND DAILY DOUBLE
Michael found the Daily Double on the 14th clue. Michael had $1,200, Kerry had $4,000, and Max was at $1,400. Michael made it a True Daily Double, wagering $1,200.

NICKNAMES $1000: His love of playing in a Mississippi creek earned blues guitarist McKinley Morganfield this nickname

SCORES AT THE FIRST BREAK
Kerry: $4,000
Michael: $2,400
Max: $1,600

CONTESTANT INTERVIEWS

Alex: Some of our Jeopardy! contestants are trailblazers. Max Henkel is one. He started a brief fad in high school--

[Max laughs.]

Alex: --called ghosting. I had never heard of that. What is it exactly?

Max: Well, that's 'cause I made it up, Alex. Uh, it's following directly behind someone in the hallway as close as possible without them noticing what you're doing. And the idea is if you can string it along down the hallway, too, that's--that's the expert level.

Alex: Now what's the closest you got--

Max: Oh--

Alex: --in doing this?

Max: Mere inches. The real trick was if you could do it to a teacher.

Alex: Ah. Oh.

[Laughter]

Alex: I won't ask you about the results of that.

Alex: Kerry Greene is a volunteer ad litem in New Hampshire. Now that's a term that most people are not familiar with--volunteer ad litem. What exactly is it and what do you do?

Kerry: Um, basically, I work for CASA, um, as a volunteer--

Alex: And what is CASA?

Kerry: --which is a nonprofit organization. It's Court Appointed Special Advocates.

Alex: All right.

Kerry: And people from all walks of life and professions that speak up for the kids who are in abuse and neglect cases. Basically, give them a voice if you don't have that.

Alex: Okay, good for you.

Alex: Michael Bilow is our champion. He graduated college with a degree in mathematics, and wound up working where?

Michael: Uh, The Suite Life on Deck, which is a children's show on the Disney Channel.

Alex: Did you get a chance to use your mathematics degree, uh, on that show?

Michael: [Scoffs] Not one time.

[Laughter]

Alex: Benefit of education. But you're doing pretty good on Jeopardy!, I'll tell ya.

TRIPLE STUMPERS IN THE JEOPARDY! ROUND
THE CIVIL WAR YEARS $600: In 1863 the Statue of Freedom designed by Thomas Crawford was placed atop this Washington, D.C. building
(Max: What is Congress?)
(Alex: Atop [*]. We don't refer to it as "the Congress building".)

SOUL $400: With the help of this backing group, Smokey Robinson gave us soul classics like "Shop Around"
(Michael: Who are the Supremes?)

OCCUPATIONAL THERAPY $1000: Nearly 1/3 of OT's work with children, often on the kids' cacography, bad this skill
(Alex: An usual word--"cacography"--bad [*].)

SCORES AT THE END OF THE JEOPARDY! ROUND
Michael: $5,800
Kerry: $4,600
Max: $3,200

Archivists
Fan-created archive of games and players

Re: Wednesday, April 1, 2015 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

Post by Archivists » Wed Apr 01, 2015 11:30 am

DOUBLE JEOPARDY! ROUND CATEGORIES
METEOROLOGY (2/5, including 1 missed Daily Double)
10-LETTER WORDS (4/5)
KAZAKHSTAN (5/5)
NOVELS (5/5)
INTERRED IN THE PANTHEON IN PARIS (2/5, including 1 missed Daily Double)
SINGLE MOMS ON TV (3/5)

THE RIGHTS & THE WRONGS
Kerry: 9 R, 1 W
Max: 6 R (including 1 rebound), 2 W
Michael: 6 R, 6 W (including 2 DDs)

Clues revealed: 30
Triple Stumpers: 7
Double Jeopardy! Round Potential Lach Trash: $10,400

FIRST DOUBLE JEOPARDY! ROUND DAILY DOUBLE
Michael snagged the next Daily Double on the 7th clue. Michael had $6,200, Kerry had $7,400, and Max was at $6,800. Michael wagered $4,000.

METEOROLOGY $1600: A North American people lend their name to this hot, dry wind of the Rocky Mountains
(Michael: What is Apache?)

SECOND DOUBLE JEOPARDY! ROUND DAILY DOUBLE
It was Michael who snatched up the last Daily Double of the game on the 25th clue. Michael had $4,200, Kerry had $12,600, and Max was at $9,200. Michael made it a True Daily Double, wagering $4,200.

INTERRED IN THE PANTHEON IN PARIS $1600: A leading French writer of the Enlightenment, he was interred in 1791, a few years after his death
(Michael: Who is Rousseau?)
(Alex: No, you picked the wrong one. "Who is [*]?" [*], and we have less than a minute to go now.)

TRIPLE STUMPERS IN THE DOUBLE JEOPARDY! ROUND
METEOROLOGY $2000: Typhoons, hurricanes & the lows on weather maps are all examples of these atmospheric circulations
(Michael: What are depressions?)

METEOROLOGY $800: (Sarah of the Clue Crew shows an animated weather map on the monitor.) It's the 2-word term for a transition zone between an advancing mass of higher temperature air & a retreating cooler one
(Alex: You know it better as [*]. We like to simplify things.)

10-LETTER WORDS $2000: An irresistible crushing force, it was originally an image of Krishna carried on a cart that sometimes ran over devotees

SINGLE MOMS ON TV $800: MacKenzie & Valerie were the kids & Bonnie Franklin played their mom Ann Romano on this show
(Max: What is Everybody Loves Raymond?)
(Michael: What is Everybody Loves Ray?)
(Alex: This series was earlier on--[*].)

SINGLE MOMS ON TV $2000: Darn tootin', Brett Butler was a single mom to 3 young'uns on this show

INTERRED IN THE PANTHEON IN PARIS $2000: WWII resistance fighter Jean Moulin is interred for his courage & death at the hands of this Nazi group
(Michael: What is the SS?)

INTERRED IN THE PANTHEON IN PARIS $800: In 1809, 3 French counts were interred--but not their whole bodies, just these parts in urns
(Kerry: What are ashes? What are their ashes?)
(Max: Um... what are their arms?)

SCORES ENTERING FINAL JEOPARDY!
Kerry: $12,200
Max: $9,600
Michael: -$1,600

PREFINAL REMARKS
Alex: [To Michael] And with that, you go to -$1,600, but it'll do you no good. We have to say good-bye to you, but you're going away with $96,000 earned in 3 days, and you're picking up an additional $1,000 today. Congratulations. Kerry and Max, the two of you in the Final with this category...

FINAL JEOPARDY! CATEGORY
ETYMOLOGY

VENUSIAN MONOLOGUES/MARTIAN CHRONICLES
Three-quarters for first place.
Kerry: Wager $7,001 to cover Max.
Max: Risk between $2,601 and $4,400.

FINAL JEOPARDY! CLUE
From the Latin for "to walk before", a famous example of this 8-letter word was written in 1787

FINAL SCORES
Max: $9,600 + $3,000 = $12,600 (What is preamble?) (2nd place)
Kerry: $12,200 + $7,001 = $19,201 (What is preamble?) (New champion: $19,201)
(Alex: And the famous example refers to the U.S. Constitution, of course.)

Total Potential Lach Trash: $12,400

GAME DYNAMICS

CORYAT SCORES
Kerry: $12,200, 18 R, 2 W
Max: $9,600, 13 R, 3 W
Michael: $6,400, 17 R (including 1 DD), 9 W (including 2 DDs)
Combined Coryat: $28,200

BATTING AVERAGES
Kerry: 19/58 = .328
Michael: 17/61 = .279
Max: 14/58 = .241
Team: 50/63 = .794

MISCELLANEOUS INTERESTING CLUES
BODY $400: This heart valve is named for its resemblance to a bishop's hat
(Michael: What is the tricuspid valve?)

BODY $800: The jejunum, the middle section of this organ, is a deep red color because of its rich blood supply
(Michael: What is the large intestine?)

BODY $1000: When a kid gets his tonsils out, these, aka the pharyngeal tonsils, may be removed too
(Alex: Hey, you know your medical stuff. Well done.)

WE'RE GONNA "MOON" YOU! $600: It's the coelenterate seen here, & don't forget to put "moon" in front of your response

THE CIVIL WAR YEARS $400: In 1861 Army Surgeon Bernard Irwin earned the 1st Medal of Honor in Hostilities vs. Chiricahua Apaches in this future state
(Kerry: What is Texas?)

SOUL $200: This soul showman will never be forgotten, & is the subject of the movie bio "Get On Up"

SOUL $1000: A 1961 album was the soul of this man & his wife; the later song "It's Gonna Work Out Fine" was not prophetic

NOVELS $400: This woman's estate authorized its first prequel, "Ruth's Journey", about Mammy
(Kerry: What is, uh, [*]?)
(Alex: "Who is [*]?" Correct.)

10-LETTER WORDS $400: It's the process of converting computer data into a code
(Michael: What is compilation?)

SINGLE MOMS ON TV $1200: As Lorelei Gilmore, she was the mom half of the "Gilmore Girls"
[ERRATUM: the character's name is "Lorelai", not "Lorelei".]

INTERRED IN THE PANTHEON IN PARIS $1200: Husband & wife scientists, they were moved to the Pantheon amid great ceremony in 1995

CORRECT RESPONSES
Muddy Waters
the Capitol building
the Miracles
handwriting
Chinook
Voltaire
cyclones
a warm front
a juggernaut
One Day at a Time
Grace Under Fire
the Gestapo
their hearts
preamble
the mitral valve
the small intestine
the adenoids
a moon jellyfish (moon jelly accepted)
Arizona
James Brown
Ike Turner
Margaret Mitchell
encryption
Lauren Graham
the Curies

jeff6286
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by jeff6286 » Wed Apr 01, 2015 11:45 am

Etymology
From the Latin for "to walk before", a famous example of this 8-letter word was written in 1787.

Spoiler
Show
What is Preamble?

Kerry Greene: $12,200+$7,001=$19,201...now a 1-day champion with $19,201
Max Henkel: $9,600+$3,000=$12,600
Michael Bilow: (-$1,600)
Last edited by jeff6286 on Wed Apr 01, 2015 8:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.

dhkendall
Pursuing the Dream

Post by dhkendall » Wed Apr 01, 2015 12:04 pm

"Jeopardy! is two parts luck and one part luck" - Me

"The way to win on Jeopardy is to be a rabidly curious, information-omnivorous person your entire life." - Ken Jennings

Follow my progress game by game since 2012

floridagator

Post by floridagator » Wed Apr 01, 2015 3:39 pm

Holy Mackerel! What a tremendous flame-out by Michael, back to back with one of the biggest paydays in history. I said on Monday that Michael's hubris would be his undoing. But I didn't expect him to see him spending so much of the game around zero and finish on the wrong side of it. Michael was well-matched by Kerry and Max, both very good contestants. Even so, they left a lot of fairly easy clues unanswered. I hope Kerry does well tomorrow.

FJ was instaget for me. I started by thinking through the Latin.
I'd rather cuddle then have sex. If you're into grammar, you'll understand.

Elijah Baley

Post by Elijah Baley » Wed Apr 01, 2015 4:42 pm

floridagator wrote:Holy Mackerel! What a tremendous flame-out by Michael, back to back with one of the biggest paydays in history. I said on Monday that Michael's hubris would be his undoing. But I didn't expect him to see him spending so much of the game around zero and finish on the wrong side of it. ....
Re hubris; you keep using that word. I do not think it means what you think it means. A multi-day champ who wins nearly 5 figures has the stuff to back up playing big. And for all that money is involved, it is still a game, i.e., for entertainment.

floridagator

Post by floridagator » Wed Apr 01, 2015 5:32 pm

Elijah Baley wrote:Re hubris; you keep using that word. I do not think it means what you think it means.
Sayeth Merriam-Webster: hubris, n., a great or foolish amount of pride or confidence

Risking more than one can bounce back from is foolish. Only one with tremendous self-confidence would risk that much. Michael was lucky that his hubris did not fail him until today.
I'd rather cuddle then have sex. If you're into grammar, you'll understand.

Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Post by Bamaman » Wed Apr 01, 2015 5:50 pm

Even if he had wagered smaller on the last two DDs, he still looses the game. Too bad he isn't a celebrity, they'd have given him $1,000 just so he can stick around for FJ.

Congrats to Michael on his nice run, taking home $97,000 isn't a bad check for a couple days work.

I was glad it was Kerry who won, my wife used to work for CASA and I always like seeing the older player win.

Anyone else think she said something other than "ashes" the first time?

I also got FJ from working it from the Latin angle, then the 1787 bit clinched it.

Elijah Baley

Post by Elijah Baley » Wed Apr 01, 2015 5:53 pm

floridagator wrote:
Elijah Baley wrote:Re hubris; you keep using that word. I do not think it means what you think it means.
Sayeth Merriam-Webster: hubris, n., a great or foolish amount of pride or confidence

Risking more than one can bounce back from is foolish. Only one with tremendous self-confidence would risk that much. Michael was lucky that his hubris did not fail him until today.
It's a game. And everyone comes at it from their own perspective, with their own goals, and with their own life experience. You assume that people playing a game for fun (even where it involves money) must have "a great or foolish amount of pride" in making big wagers. Who are you to assume that everyone must play the game as you believe it should be played??

dhkendall
Pursuing the Dream

Post by dhkendall » Wed Apr 01, 2015 6:01 pm

Great going Michael, and even leading going into DJ! and you persevered throughout. You still have my respect.

Couldn't get anywhere with Final, finally said "constitution" at second 25, knowing full well it has more than 8 letters. Then said "preamble" at second 33. :oops:

"The way to win on Jeopardy is to be a rabidly curious, information-omnivorous person your entire life." - Ken Jennings

grindcore
Some Guy

Post by grindcore » Wed Apr 01, 2015 6:20 pm

Well! Well, well, well. Jeez.

The bigger they come, the harder they fall. Not the best way to go, but hats off to you all the same, Michael. What was that you were saying about people liking a good story where the teller ends up with egg on their face? I guess you're all set for party conversations for the rest of your life!

I fared little better than Michael in this game, I found the "body" top clues to be tough, and I usually kill the x-letter words category but I only managed to get juggernaut this time around. Kazakhstan was an easy run, since come on, there's only a limited amount of things they could be asking about, and I think this year's Neggie award goes to the Ann Romano clue. That's gotta be in the poll.

FJ was lemon-squeezy, got it before Alex was finished reading. Really excited to see the new champ tomorrow, she's hella sharp.

michaelbilow
Valued Contributor

Post by michaelbilow » Wed Apr 01, 2015 6:27 pm

Elijah Baley wrote:
floridagator wrote:Holy Mackerel! What a tremendous flame-out by Michael, back to back with one of the biggest paydays in history. I said on Monday that Michael's hubris would be his undoing. But I didn't expect him to see him spending so much of the game around zero and finish on the wrong side of it. ....
Re hubris; you keep using that word. I do not think it means what you think it means. A multi-day champ who wins nearly 5 figures has the stuff to back up playing big. And for all that money is involved, it is still a game, i.e., for entertainment.
Haha, thanks for calling that out. Aggression can go hand in hand with hubris, but so can hubris and conservative play. Without being aggressive, who knows if I even win my first game, and much less the money.

michaelbilow
Valued Contributor

Post by michaelbilow » Wed Apr 01, 2015 6:40 pm

grindcore wrote:Well! Well, well, well. Jeez.

The bigger they come, the harder they fall. Not the best way to go, but hats off to you all the same, Michael. What was that you were saying about people liking a good story where the teller ends up with egg on their face? I guess you're all set for party conversations for the rest of your life!
I missed way too many questions, which was the part of my performance I would do over again, but I needed to be in first place after DJ to win this game (I also got it, playing the home game myself), so I'm not embarrassed by negging myself out after missing the last DD. Wagering, I dunno, 5 bucks or a thousand to stay in the game and then getting beat on an easy FJ would have been more embarrassing (to me) because I failed to give myself a shot to win. Same thing goes for the final neg. I needed the money to stay in the game, period.

Now, there's no guarantee that FJ wouldn't have happened in a category where I'd get it and both my competitors would miss, but a single get is a pretty unlikely scenario for FJ; much less likely than doubling up and then getting the rest of the money from the rest of the board.

Thanks for watching, y'all!

MTGcollegestudent

Post by MTGcollegestudent » Wed Apr 01, 2015 6:47 pm

Well...there went all the hard work. Like what Marlon Brando said in On the Waterfront, "He could have been a contender." He could have made it all the way to score another win and be another entrant to compete in the ToC. Like how Salvo and Adam did in Season 27, they came so close, and yet so far to a win, and had flamed out.
Jeopardy! is like History. It's a mixed bag of categories that try to test your knowledge to see if you know or can recall answers that seem familiar to the viewer.

MitchO

Post by MitchO » Wed Apr 01, 2015 7:29 pm

If Michael were my generation, he would have easily picked up about 4-5k. The Miracles? One Day At A Time? C'mon man, those are my jams. :D

Grats again, Michael.

TenPoundHammer
Otters are meant to swim

Post by TenPoundHammer » Wed Apr 01, 2015 7:30 pm

Wow, Michael really self-destructed today.

What led to "Work" on Occupational Therapy for $200? That whole category was completely cryptic to me.

Lach Trash: Miracles. Can't believe that was whiffed when the others went down just fine, especially since I don't think I've ever heard of Ike Turner, just Tina.

I had just seen a copy of Get On Up yesterday at Walmart, and had just looked up "Scouse" yesterday after seeing the word on TV Tropes, but neither was there when I wanted it.

NHO "Space Race" or any of the actors in Single Moms on TV. Pantheon and Paris were also miles above my head.

Also completely impenetrable to me: Meteorology. Couldn't think of something hot that a cloud could do.

Pre-something? Ante-something? Nope, it's not coming. Not even "Constitution" made it click. Yet again, it's totally doable, but my brain decides to crap out. Why should I even try anymore if my brain keeps glitching out so badly that I can capture MissingNo. with it?
Ten Pound Hammer

This space for rent

Abraxas

Post by Abraxas » Wed Apr 01, 2015 7:37 pm

michaelbilow wrote: Thanks for watching, y'all!
You're welcome. I really enjoyed watching you play. Congratulations on your wins!

I had 33 correct responses including five triple stumpers: Capitol Building, The Miracles, cyclones, warm front, and "One Day at a Time." I also got FJ.

xxaaaxx

Post by xxaaaxx » Wed Apr 01, 2015 7:40 pm

Bamaman wrote:Anyone else think she said something other than "ashes" the first time?
Given the place and the time frame, I was thinking...head :oops:

Instaget FJ.

Sorry to see you go Michael. Eventually, you had to lose one of those big DD wagers, I was just hoping it would be no earlier than Friday. Your friends might give you a hard time about Smokey Robinson and the Supremes ;)

grindcore
Some Guy

Post by grindcore » Wed Apr 01, 2015 7:42 pm

TenPoundHammer wrote:What led to "Work" on Occupational Therapy for $200?
Occupational Therapy.

dhkendall
Pursuing the Dream

Post by dhkendall » Wed Apr 01, 2015 7:43 pm

grindcore wrote:
TenPoundHammer wrote:What led to "Work" on Occupational Therapy for $200?
Occupational Therapy.
Four letters. Major part of daily life (for most of us anyways)

Of all the clues on the board, *that's* your "what led to" for the day???