Thursday, April 2, 2015 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, dhkendall, trainman, econgator

Archivists
Fan-created archive of games and players

Thursday, April 2, 2015 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

Post by Archivists » Thu Apr 02, 2015 11:30 am

Game Recap for Show #7039, 2015-04-02

CONTESTANTS
Niels Hirschmann, a commercial property manager from Belmont, California
Sharon Boyd, a public health advisor from Washington D.C.
Kerry Greene, a volunteer guardian ad litem from Manchester, New Hampshire (whose 1-day cash winnings total $19,201)

OPENING REMARKS
Alex: Thank you, Johnny. Hi, folks. Welcome aboard. This has been an exciting week on Jeopardy! Kerry became champion on yesterday's program by defeating a young man who had picked up $96,000 in just three wins. So she is, in effect, a giant killer. Sharon and Niels, welcome aboard, and good luck. Here we go. All right, what are the categories? We'll show you...

JEOPARDY! ROUND CATEGORIES
TEAM AKAs (3/5)
AMERICAN HISTORY (5/5)
TALKING DIRTY (5/5)
COMPANIES (4/5)
IT BORDERS BOTH COUNTRIES (5/5, including 1 correct Daily Double)
UP IN THE ATTIC (4/5)

THE RIGHTS & THE WRONGS
Kerry: 13 R (including 1 DD), 0 W
Niels: 8 R, 1 W
Sharon: 5 R, 0 W

Clues revealed: 30
Triple Stumpers: 4
Jeopardy! Round Potential Lach Trash: $3,800

SCORES AT THE FIRST BREAK
Kerry: $3,400
Niels: $2,600
Sharon: $2,200

CONTESTANT INTERVIEWS

Alex: There's a little bit of Jeopardy! lore involved in Niels Hirschmann's wedding ceremony, I understand, because both you and your wife managed to include a something about Jeopardy! but you didn't pre-plan it.

Niels: No, that's right.

Alex: You didn't know she was doing it. And she didn't know you were.

Niels: That's correct. Uh, our officiant--officiant had us write letters to each other where we wouldn't read them before the wedding ceremony. And in my letter, I wrote about how I loved how my wife waited till you finished reading the clue before saying the answer. But sometimes she gets so excited, she blurts it out anyway.

Alex: Mm-hmm.

Niels: Then, uh, the officiant read her letter next and she wrote how she appreciated that I didn't get mad when she blurted out the answer.

[Laughter]

Alex: Nice.

Alex: Okay, Sharon Boyd, public health adviser who advises for the Centers for Disease Control and you spent time in Africa during the Ebola crisis.

Sharon: Yes, yes, I, um, I was in, um, Monrovia, Liberia helping out, uh, our teams there.

Alex: Now, did you have to go into quarantine when you came back?

Sharon: No, I did not, [looking to the contestants to the right and left of her] and nobody here should worry. [Laughs]

[Laughter]

Sharon: Uh, I didn't have any contact with anyone who had Ebola.

Alex: Okay, good.

Alex: All right, Kerry Greene is our champion. And one of her hobbies, so many of our contestants and champions do have hobbies. Yours has to do with genealogy, but big time.

Kerry: [Chuckles] Well, you know, everybody has parents.

Alex: Yeah.

Kerry: So there's nowhere to stop. You--you just keep going. It becomes, like, an addiction.

Alex: Yes, but, you--with some family trees, you've gone back how many generations?

Kerry: Uh, I think my longest one is 107 generations.

Alex: Which would take you back to what year? What century?

Kerry: Oh, I have Egyptian. So going back to, you know, 3,000 B.C. But when I got back to God in one line, I-I started to worry about my documentation.

[Laughter]

JEOPARDY! ROUND DAILY DOUBLE
Kerry found the Daily Double on the 30th clue. Kerry had $6,400, Sharon had $3,200, and Niels was at $2,600. Kerry wagered $3,000.

IT BORDERS BOTH COUNTRIES $1000: Jordan &
Yemen
(Alex: It's been a long, long while since we've, uh, run into that clue at the very end of a round.)

TRIPLE STUMPERS IN THE JEOPARDY! ROUND
UP IN THE ATTIC $1000: Way out of tune, there's this stringed instrument for which John Dowland mainly composed

COMPANIES $1000: Nike was founded by University of Oregon track coach Bill Bowerman & this runner of his
(Niels: Who is Prefontaine?)

TEAM AKAs $800: In 1950 this youthful MLB team was "The Whiz Kids"; in 1983, the not-so-youthful "Wheeze Kids"

TEAM AKAs $1000: Blake Griffin helped turn this NBA team into "Lob City"
(Alex: Oh, you guys are not residents of Los Angeles. We're [*], yes.)

SCORES AT THE END OF THE JEOPARDY! ROUND
Kerry: $9,400
Sharon: $3,200
Niels: $2,600

Archivists
Fan-created archive of games and players

Re: Thursday, April 2, 2015 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

Post by Archivists » Thu Apr 02, 2015 11:30 am

DOUBLE JEOPARDY! ROUND CATEGORIES
FROM RUSSIA (1/4, including 1 missed Daily Double)
WITH LOVE (3/5)
GOLDEN "I" (5/5)
DIE ANOTHER DAY (4/5, including 1 correct Daily Double)
SKYFALL (4/5)
THE NEXT JAMES BOND? (4/5)

THE RIGHTS & THE WRONGS
Niels: 13 R (including 1 DD), 5 W (including 1 DD)
Kerry: 6 R, 0 W
Sharon: 3 R (including 1 rebound), 1 W

Clues revealed: 29
Triple Stumpers: 7
Double Jeopardy! Round Potential Lach Trash: $8,800

FIRST DOUBLE JEOPARDY! ROUND DAILY DOUBLE
Niels snagged the next Daily Double on the 12th clue. Kerry had $10,200, Sharon had $3,600, and Niels was at $7,000. Niels wagered $3,200.

FROM RUSSIA $800: Familial titles from Chekhov include "The Three Sisters" & this one subtitled "Scenes from Country Life in Four Acts"
(Niels: Uh, what are pastorals?)

SECOND DOUBLE JEOPARDY! ROUND DAILY DOUBLE
It was Niels who snatched up the last Daily Double of the game on the 24th clue. Kerry had $14,200, Sharon had $4,800, and Niels was at $10,200. Niels wagered $2,000.

DIE ANOTHER DAY $2000: April 18, 1955
in Princeton, New Jersey

TRIPLE STUMPERS IN THE DOUBLE JEOPARDY! ROUND
FROM RUSSIA $400: During the Cold War, the CIA had this Pasternak novel printed in Russian & given to Soviet citizens as propaganda

THE NEXT JAMES BOND? $2000: This Aussie actor does have a 4-letter "B" name, which would have made for great he "is Bond!" posters

SKYFALL $400: In 2010 one of these measuring a whopping 8 inches across fell to Earth in Vivian, South Dakota
(Sharon: What is an asteroid?)
(Niels: What is a meteorite?)
(Alex: That size not impressive for a meteorite, but [*], [*] 8-inches across. Ooh, pain.)

DIE ANOTHER DAY $800: November 24, 1963
at Parkland Memorial Hospital
(Niels: Who is JFK?)
(Alex: We're not talking about November 22nd, but November 24th and that was not JFK but [*].)

WITH LOVE $1600: Perhaps a poem will be inspired by seeing in Greek the name of this muse of love poetry

Ἐρατώ
(Niels: Who is Eros?)

WITH LOVE $2000: Britannica calls this Roman poet's "Ars Amatoria" "a manual of seduction and intrigue for the man about town"

FROM RUSSIA $1600: His "Notes from the Underground" was written in response to a utopian novel called "What Is to Be Done?"

SCORES ENTERING FINAL JEOPARDY!
Kerry: $16,600
Niels: $11,800
Sharon: $4,800

PREFINAL REMARKS
Alex: I always thought SWAK was "sealed with a kiss", but our judges have determined that "sent with a kiss" is acceptable also. So Niels has picked up $2,400, bringing his total to $11,800. And bringing us to Final Jeopardy! with NATIONAL HISTORIC LANDMARKS as the category. And here comes the clue for you three...

FINAL JEOPARDY! CATEGORY
NATIONAL HISTORIC LANDMARKS

VENUSIAN MONOLOGUES/MARTIAN CHRONICLES
First equals second plus third.
Kerry: Wager $7,000. Risk any less and Niels may overtake you if you both get it right; risk any more and Sharon may overtake you if you get it wrong.
Niels: Wager all $11,800. If Kerry bets correctly, then you'll tie for the win if you both get the correct response.
Sharon: Wager all $4,800, and you have a hope of snatching up a tie for first with Kerry if you're the only one to provide the correct response.

FINAL JEOPARDY! CLUE
50 years after San Francisco's cable cars became a National Historic Landmark, this city's street railway got the designation in 2014

FINAL SCORES
Sharon: $4,800 + $4,799 = $9,599 (What is New Orleans?) (3rd place)
Niels: $11,800 + $11,800 = $23,600 (What is New Orleans?) (2nd place)
Kerry: $16,600 + $7,001 = $23,601 (What is New Orleans) (19202-day champion: $23,601)

Total Potential Lach Trash: $12,600

GAME DYNAMICS

CORYAT SCORES
Niels: $15,000, 21 R (including 1 DD), 6 W (including 1 DD)
Kerry: $14,600, 19 R (including 1 DD), 0 W
Sharon: $4,800, 8 R, 1 W
Combined Coryat: $34,400

BATTING AVERAGES
Niels: 22/60 = .367
Kerry: 20/59 = .339
Sharon: 9/58 = .155
Team: 51/63 = .810

MISCELLANEOUS INTERESTING CLUES
UP IN THE ATTIC $200: Grandpa never played this sport, but we found a bat used for it

UP IN THE ATTIC $400: From a bygone vacation comes this hat; its name is from Spanish for "shade"
(Sharon: [*], yes. Sombre.)

COMPANIES $200: (Kelly of the Clue Crew reports from the Western Reserve Historical Society in Cleveland, OH.) As far back as the early 20th century, you could access your inner hog by riding early motorcycle models like this 1919 one from this U.S. company

WITH LOVE $800: Term for a pair of beloveds or the conversational candy seen here

GOLDEN "I" $1200: You can buy gold in coins or bars, which are often called these
(Niels: What are investments?)

WITH LOVE $1200: On the back of the envelope of a love letter, write "S.W.A.K.", short for this
(Niels: What is "sent with a kiss"?)
[Originally ruled incorrect; reversed before Final Jeopardy!]

CORRECT RESPONSES
Saudi Arabia
the lute
Phil Knight
the Philadelphia Phillies
the L.A. Clippers
Uncle Vanya
Einstein
Doctor Zhivago
Eric Bana
a hailstone
Lee Harvey Oswald
Erato
Ovid
Dostoevsky
New Orleans
cricket
sombrero
Harley-Davidson
Sweethearts
ingots
sealed with a kiss

jeff6286
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by jeff6286 » Thu Apr 02, 2015 12:45 pm

National Historic Landmarks
50 years after San Francisco's cable cars became a national historic landmark, this city's street railway got the designation in 2014.

SpoilerShow
What is New Orleans?

Kerry Greene: $16,600+$7,001=$23,601...now a 2-day champion with $42,802
Niels Hirschmann: $11,800+$11,800=$23,600
Sharon Boyd: $4,800+$4,799=$9,599
Last edited by jeff6286 on Fri Apr 03, 2015 3:25 am, edited 2 times in total.

NielsH
Jeopardy! Contestant

Post by NielsH » Thu Apr 02, 2015 1:02 pm

Hi everyone. I'm Niels Hirschmann from Belmont, California, and a contestant on the April 2nd, 2015 episode of "Jeopardy!". Will I be on April 3rd or beyond? Tune in to find out!

First, a little background about myself. I'm a San Francisco native and currently live down the peninsula in Belmont with my wife and our toddler. I'd been trying to be a contestant since about 1994 when I sent in a postcard and got picked to tryout for the college tournament. I flew to the old studio in Burbank to take the written test but didn't pass. I kept trying though and got another shot via the online test in 2004. This time I passed the San Francisco audition and was in the contestant pool for 12 months. Obviously I didn't get selected to be on the show then. In late 2012 or early 2013, I found out that I had passed the online test again and was invited to audition in Sacramento. Unfortunately, the date offered was uncomfortably close to my son's due date, but the contest coordinators were great about rescheduling me for Los Angeles a couple weeks earlier. As it turned out, the day before that audition, my wife went into labor! Again (and throughout my entire experience), the contestant coordinators were awesome and offered me yet another date in Los Angeles several months later, which I made it to without further excitement. I passed that written test (perfectly or near perfectly, as best I could tell upon review) and made it into the contestant pool for the second time, this time for 18 months. Just 3 days shy of my eligibility expiring, I got the call to be a contestant. Phew! (As I later learned, a couple of the contestants at my taping were called about 5 weeks after their eligibility supposedly ended.)

Being a "Jeopardy!" contestant was a dream come true and one of the greatest experiences of my life and I'd like to keep it that way. I apologize to anyone who is offended by my gameplay, my wagering, my interviewing, my posture, my voice, my clothes, etc. so please be gentle. ;)

I'll post more thoughts (based on my recollection) later today and then later tonight, after watching the episode, I'm sure I'll be be back with more. I'd be happy to answer questions and hopefully provide insight into my episode(s).
I finished second on the April 2, 2015 episode.

ElendilPickle
ToC Enabler

Post by ElendilPickle » Thu Apr 02, 2015 3:50 pm

Welcome to JBoard, Niels!

dhkendall
Pursuing the Dream

Post by dhkendall » Thu Apr 02, 2015 6:01 pm

OK, I hate to sound like TenPoundHammer (it might be due to my Canadian-ness) but how well known is the New Orleans street railway? I can't say it's something I've heard mentioned anywhere, but it seemed like an instaget on stage.

And welcome as well, Niels! I'd love to hear more about the game, your experiences, etc. The people here are pretty great, especially when contestants actually come on here, so you don't have much to worry about. Sit down a while and have a chat with us!
"Jeopardy! is two parts luck and one part luck" - Me

"The way to win on Jeopardy is to be a rabidly curious, information-omnivorous person your entire life." - Ken Jennings

Plactus

Post by Plactus » Thu Apr 02, 2015 6:09 pm

dhkendall wrote:OK, I hate to sound like TenPoundHammer (it might be due to my Canadian-ness) but how well known is the New Orleans street railway? I can't say it's something I've heard mentioned anywhere, but it seemed like an instaget on stage.
I only got it because of A Streetcar Named Desire. Without that data point, I'd have been hopeless.

When the reversal happened and put the final scores into A = B + C, I was hoping to see a tiebreaker. Alas, no such luck.
Oh, what has science wrought? I sought only to turn a man into a metal-encased juggernaut of destruction powered by the unknown properties of a mysterious living crystal. How could this have all gone wrong?

pinkfreud
Jeopardy! Contestant

Post by pinkfreud » Thu Apr 02, 2015 6:09 pm

dhkendall wrote:OK, I hate to sound like TenPoundHammer (it might be due to my Canadian-ness) but how well known is the New Orleans street railway? I can't say it's something I've heard mentioned anywhere, but it seemed like an instaget on stage.
All I really know is "A Streetcar Named Desire." But that was enough.

dhkendall
Pursuing the Dream

Post by dhkendall » Thu Apr 02, 2015 6:27 pm

pinkfreud wrote:
All I really know is "A Streetcar Named Desire." But that was enough.
Huh, I'm familiar with Streetcar, but it didn't really do anything for me today because a) "surely NO and SF aren't the only two cities with streetcars?" b) the wording ("Street rail" or something like that) wasn't even making me think "streetcars, I was picturing, for some reason, a steam locomotive running on a residential street (which, I admit, would be pretty awesome and worthy of a National Historic Landmark designation if it existed). WAGged "Pittsburgh" for the steel connection.
"Jeopardy! is two parts luck and one part luck" - Me

"The way to win on Jeopardy is to be a rabidly curious, information-omnivorous person your entire life." - Ken Jennings

NielsH
Jeopardy! Contestant

Post by NielsH » Thu Apr 02, 2015 6:30 pm

SPOILERS!!!

I'll have more observations after I watch the episode (airing here at 7PM Pacific) and have a chance to post. By happy coincidence, today is my wife's birthday! We're having an informal birthday/"Jeopardy!"-watching party so I probably won't be online right away.

The following thoughts are based entirely on my recollection. If I misremembered anything, I'll try to correct.

CATEGORIES
Overall I was VERY pleased with the categories in this game. I often watch and think, "I'm glad I wasn't on this episode!" I enjoyed the James Bond theme to Double Jeopardy, but it made it very hard to know what some of the categories were about which is why I jumped around a bit.

THE BUZZER
The buzzer is the game. I think all 3 of us were ringing in on most clues. Even with my big Daily Double miss and other mistakes, I think the reason I didn't win was because I was beaten too often on the buzzer on answers I knew. I'll have to watch and count the number of times, but it sure felt like a lot. Give that money to me instead of to my competitors and I win the game easily, perhaps in a runaway.

DAILY DOUBLES
From Russia $800 - Uncle Vanya. Uncle Effin' Vanya! Obviously my miss on a $4,200 wager was a big factor in the game, but I absolutely stand by my decision. I've been to Russia. I took two semesters of honors Russian language in college. I'm a news junkie and Russia has been all over the news the last year or two. I've even read a fair amount of Russian literature, just not Chekov. Even though the $400 clue was about literature, the way it was written made it more a political or historical clue, which is perhaps why none of us rang in. Of course I know Nabokov wrote "Lolita" if for no other reason than I've heard the Police's "Don't Stand So Close to Me" a million times ("just like the old man in that famous book by Nabokov") but the clue was about CIA propaganda or whatever. I was trying to think of what else Nabokov wrote. So with my background regarding Russia and the fact that $800 clues tend to be easy, I felt very confident wagering $4,200 to tie the game. Probably 9 times out of 10 that gamble would pay off. Unfortunately, it hit a blind spot. I think I did get flustered at first when I realized I didn't immediately know the answer, but I tried to work it out. I knew "familial" was the key word, but the clue was very long and it was hard to re-read it all and make sense of it under pressure. My response of "Pastorals" was a shot in the dark. For whatever reason, that word popped into my head and it was all I had. I had heard of "Uncle Vanya" but couldn't have told you it was written by Chekov. Even if the "familial" connection had clicked, I very likely would have come up with "The Brothers Karamazov" first. (I'm also annoyed that the writers went back to "Uncle Vanya" after it was used it for a clue only a month earlier on 2/26 [Double Jeopardy - Drama Mamas - $800]. They also used Nabokov and "Lolita" for Final Jeopardy on 3/19/15!)

Die Another Day $800(?)
I wagered only $800 because I wasn't feeling confident about the category. It may look like I pulled "Einstein" out of my you-know-what, but here's the thing... I was always going to say "Einstein." That immediately popped into my mind. I just didn't know how I knew that and took the allotted time to go over other possibilities.

FINAL JEOPARDY
I know many viewers will find my wager to be poor strategy. All I can say is I was supremely confident in the category. If you "know" you're going to get it right, why wouldn't you bet it all? I also nearly predicted the clue! I saw "National Historic Landmarks" and somehow guessed they might ask about the San Francisco cable cars being a moving National Historic Landmark. How close is that? I wrote down my response of "New Orleans" right away. I was hard pressed to think of anything else it could be. If it looked like I was unsure of my answer, I admit to playing a bit to the camera for fun. I wanted my friends and family to deal with the suspense! Where's the fun standing there smiling confidently the whole time? I hope it comes across on TV because when my wager was revealed I definitely heard some gasps. That was a cool moment for me.

NOTABLE CLUES/RESPONSES

"What is Apple?" I used to live in Cupertino just a stone's throw from 1 Infinite Loop!

"What is Gold Toe?" Someone else beat me to this, but I should get points for (presumably) being the only contestant actually wearing them!

"Who is Eric Bana?" This clue was my biggest regret of the entire episode. Not coming in 2nd, not missing "Uncle Vanya". If I had answered this, I would have swept the category and had a moment of glory. What really hurts is that I know who Eric Bana is. I just totally misunderstood the clue. I read "4 letter B name" as a name with 4 B's in it! I obviously couldn't think of any Australian actors with 4 B's in their name. This was the clue that haunted me afterwards. It didn't make any sense to me, even after hearing the answer. Eric Bana doesn't have 4 B's!!! Unfortunately, my wife couldn't remember the wording any better than me. Finally it all clicked and I was struck with an epiphany the next morning at 3AM!

"What is muck?" I will forever know the phrase "muck and mire" from the countless times I've read "The Little Blue Truck" to my son.

"What is a lute?" I was 90% sure of the answer, but it was still early and a large amount of money ($1000) so I didn't ring in. Don't think it would have changed anything, but I wish I had.

"Who is JFK?" I saw November 1963, Parkland, Dallas. Clearly JFK... except it wasn't. This was the clue my wife gave me the hardest time about. She thought it was obvious because of the date that it was Lee Harvey Oswald. In my defense, so far nobody else thinks it's obvious. And here's some Behind the Scenes info, Alex had to re-record his response to be after the round because he initially said something like, "No, sorry, JFK died the day before." So even he had trouble with that clue!

"Who is the Big Bopper?" I knew all 3 musicians who died in the crash, but went with The Big Bopper because it was easiest to say. Alex seemed to hesitate accepting my answer. I wonder if he was checking with the judges whether or not I needed to give his real name. I would have contested that because they accept other entertainers' stage names. This was another instance of Alex needing to re-record his response. He initially said "Ritchie Havens" instead of "Ritchie Valens". I was quietly saying "Ritchie Valens" along with him but shut up the instant he started to say "Havens" because I thought maybe I was wrong and embarrassing myself. Don't know if that awkwardness made it into the episode or was wiped away by the re-dub.

"What is Sent With a Kiss?" Pretty sure I misspoke and meant to say "sealed". At the time, I thought it was generous of them to give me credit for it, but later after researching it my response does seem to be fairly common. It should have been one of the acceptable answers from the start. Maybe it would have affected momentum or confidence, maybe not.

INTERVIEW
The contestant coordinators coached me to be sure to say my wife's name if Alex asked me that story. Of course I would say her name! That was the one thing I didn't need to be reminded of. Well, I forgot. I was nervous to tell the lengthy story quickly and coherently and didn't realize until days later that I forgot to say her name. I, for one, will never criticize a celebrity for forgetting their spouse in an award acceptance speech! My wife is awesome though. She didn't notice and doesn't care.

ALEX TREBEK
Could not have been nicer. My complete interaction with him was what you saw. We didn't hang out before or after. After Final Jeopardy, he walked over to shake my hand and said something really complimentary. Unfortunately, his exact words are lost in the haze, but it was something along the lines of, "You really gave her a run there," or, "You made her earn her money today." Whatever it was he said, I remember it being generous and kind. My only criticism of Alex is that I didn't like that he said Final Jeopardy was easy, something he says fairly often. It diminishes the contestants' (and viewers') sense of accomplishment and adds insult to injury if you get it wrong.

FINAL THOUGHTS (for now)
I had an amazing time on "Jeopardy!". I played it the way I wanted and think I did very well. Finishing with $23,600 and losing by $1 to a very good returning champion is something I feel proud of. I left the studio that day with even more respect for the game and all those involved. Certainly in hindsight there are things I would have done differently, but my only true regret is that I don't get to play again.

pinkfreud
Jeopardy! Contestant

Post by pinkfreud » Thu Apr 02, 2015 7:24 pm

Great post, Niels! I, too, finished the game with $23,600 and came in second. There's no shame in that. For the rest of your life people will be fascinated when they learn that you were a contestant on Jeopardy!. When my mom is asked about my 22 minutes of fame, she often just says "Her final score was $23,600."

TenPoundHammer
Otters are meant to swim

Post by TenPoundHammer » Thu Apr 02, 2015 7:29 pm

Bleah, I still smell like Quarter Pounders.

0/5 in American History.

"This nativity scene"? You mean there's more than one name for it?!

I thought Sports AKA was way too obscure.

NHO Gold Toe or Phil Knight.

Goose-egg in DJ! for me. When Doctor Zhivago and incandescent are $400 then the category is gonna be tough.

I knew Big Bopper and Houdini in Die Another Day, but "Memphis" had me snag on Elvis, then lock up when the year was wrong. And 1963 + Not JFK = confused Hammer.

0/5 on name recognition for the correct responses in Next James Bond. Heck, I don't even recognize any works that James Brolin or Idris Elba have been in.

No guess on FJ! Who the hell has a street railway?! New Orleans has streetcars?!?!? Like dhkendall, I was thinking "Street railway" = "street with railway in it", probably because there is such a street here in Tawas City (Court Street, if you check Google Maps).
Ten Pound Hammer

This space for rent

econgator
Let's Go Mets!

Post by econgator » Thu Apr 02, 2015 7:30 pm

dhkendall wrote:OK, I hate to sound like TenPoundHammer (it might be due to my Canadian-ness) but how well known is the New Orleans street railway?
The St Charles Streetcar line is the oldest continuously operating line in the world, so I'd go with "pretty well-known" (and the line up and down Canal St is fairly well-known, too.

MitchO

Post by MitchO » Thu Apr 02, 2015 7:32 pm

I was rooting for ya before I even read the thread Niels. :) You were clearly enjoying yourself and had fun going through that Bond category. Well played.

Abraxas

Post by Abraxas » Thu Apr 02, 2015 7:38 pm

I enjoyed your posts, Niels. Congratulations to Kerry on another good win. I had 37 correct responses including these triple stumpers: Philadelphia Phillies, "Doctor Zhivago", hailstone, Lee Harvey Oswald, and Ovid. I didn't get FJ.

Leander

Post by Leander » Thu Apr 02, 2015 7:38 pm

S
From Russia $800 - Uncle Vanya. Uncle Effin' Vanya! Obviously my miss on a $4,200 wager was a big factor in the game, but I absolutely stand by my decision. I've been to Russia. I took two semesters of honors Russian language in college. I'm a news junkie and Russia has been all over the news the last year or two. I've even read a fair amount of Russian literature, just not Chekov. Even though the $400 clue was about literature, the way it was written made it more a political or historical clue, which is perhaps why none of us rang in. Of course I know Nabokov wrote "Lolita" if for no other reason than I've heard the Police's "Don't Stand So Close to Me" a million times ("just like the old man in that famous book by Nabokov") but the clue was about CIA propaganda or whatever. I was trying to think of what else Nabokov wrote. So with my background regarding Russia and the fact that $800 clues tend to be easy, I felt very confident wagering $4,200 to tie the game. Probably 9 times out of 10 that gamble would pay off. Unfortunately, it hit a blind spot. I think I did get flustered at first when I realized I didn't immediately know the answer, but I tried to work it out. I knew "familial" was the key word, but the clue was very long and it was hard to re-read it all and make sense of it under pressure. My response of "Pastorals" was a shot in the dark. For whatever reason, that word popped into my head and it was all I had. I had heard of "Uncle Vanya" but couldn't have told you it was written by Chekov. Even if the "familial" connection had clicked, I very likely would have come up with "The Brothers Karamazov" first. (I'm also annoyed that the writers went back to "Uncle Vanya" after it was used it for a clue only a month earlier on 2/26 [Double Jeopardy - Drama Mamas - $800]. They also used Nabokov and "Lolita" for Final Jeopardy on 3/19/15!)
Am I mistaken, or wasn't this the Pasternack/Doctor Zhivago clue that was a stand and stare and involved the CIA?

MitchO

Post by MitchO » Thu Apr 02, 2015 7:39 pm

And I'm really disappointed that the Monsters of the Midway was not properly answered as "DA BEARS".

NielsH
Jeopardy! Contestant

Post by NielsH » Thu Apr 02, 2015 7:45 pm

Leander wrote:

Am I mistaken, or wasn't this the Pasternack/Doctor Zhivago clue that was a stand and stare and involved the CIA?
Haven't watched episode yet and don't recall Pasternack or Zhivago in the category. IIRC, first clue ($400) was about "Lolita" and none of us rang in. $800 was my DD about "Uncle Vanya."

NielsH
Jeopardy! Contestant

Post by NielsH » Thu Apr 02, 2015 7:47 pm

MitchO wrote:I was rooting for ya before I even read the thread Niels. :) You were clearly enjoying yourself and had fun going through that Bond category. Well played.
Thanks for the kind words! I definitely was having fun and am glad it came across.

NielsH
Jeopardy! Contestant

Post by NielsH » Thu Apr 02, 2015 7:49 pm

The Phil Knight clue was a case of me reading too fast. I saw "Oregon" and "famous runner" and immediately went to Prefontaine. Focused on timing of buzzer rather than making sure I was right.