Monday, April 6, 2015 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

alietr
Site Admin

Re: Monday, April 6, 2015 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

Post by alietr »

dhkendall wrote:I'm surprised that "lobby" lead people *away* from Grand Central. That word made images like this pop in my head, which is what I think of when I think of Grand Central Station, I can't recall what the rest of the station looks like, but I've seen shots of the lobby many times.
Or, even better:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lASPrnWf6cA
Coelacanth
Jeopardy! TOCer

Post by Coelacanth »

grnwaz wrote:
harrumph wrote:Kerry - do you understand now, under proper wagering theory, that your winning chances would have been enhanced if you had bet next to nothing in FJ?
It isn't just about probabilities, at least not for me. Appearing on the show was a bucket list item for me, a real challenge to my comfort zone. I defied the odds to even get there, and my priority was to make it count, be bold. I love math, I love strategy and analysis. But that was not what really mattered to me personally. Every contestant is free to have a philosophy that places value on whatever he or she chooses. And I'm very satisfied at the way it worked out!
We need to preserve this statement in here somewhere.

Thank you Kerry, for not only being a great player but for being one who "gets it".
Brian Weikle
Season 19
TenPoundHammer

Post by TenPoundHammer »

seaborgium wrote:
TenPoundHammer wrote:WLT Atlantic on Morgana for $400?
Nothing; the correct response was the Indian Ocean (which is where Mauritius is).
Can't say I've heard of Mauritius. Also, I rewound that clue twice and still typed Atlantic instead. I swear, I have that same thing that randomly makes Opus type the wrong word a lot. Typhasia?
seaborgium wrote:
TenPoundHammer wrote:WLT "wife" on What Men Want for $400?
The rest of the sentence (it's a famous opening line).
Ah, a literature clue, that's why.

Curious as to how many others got Gorillaz and/or have listened to at least one of their songs. Possible poll question?
This Is Kirk!
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by This Is Kirk! »

TenPoundHammer wrote:
seaborgium wrote:
TenPoundHammer wrote:WLT Atlantic on Morgana for $400?
Nothing; the correct response was the Indian Ocean (which is where Mauritius is).
Can't say I've heard of Mauritius.
Play this a few times. I guarantee it will help with Jeopardy! geography clues.
http://www.sporcle.com/games/g/world
dhkendall
Pursuing the Dream

Post by dhkendall »

TenPoundHammer wrote: Curious as to how many others got Gorillaz and/or have listened to at least one of their songs. Possible poll question?
Yes and no. The TOM is sufficient enough if you know that Gorillaz is a band The Kids Today (tm) like, and thus could conceivably play something called a Coachella. ( They come up often enough too, I believe they were a clue on that day's Daytime Jeopardy! (that, for the record, I didn't get around to watching until *after* this episode)
"Jeopardy! is two parts luck and one part luck" - Me

"The way to win on Jeopardy is to be a rabidly curious, information-omnivorous person your entire life." - Ken Jennings

Follow my progress game by game since 2012
grindcore
Some Guy

Post by grindcore »

grnwaz wrote:
harrumph wrote:Kerry - do you understand now, under proper wagering theory, that your winning chances would have been enhanced if you had bet next to nothing in FJ?
It isn't just about probabilities, at least not for me. Appearing on the show was a bucket list item for me, a real challenge to my comfort zone. I defied the odds to even get there, and my priority was to make it count, be bold. I love math, I love strategy and analysis. But that was not what really mattered to me personally. Every contestant is free to have a philosophy that places value on whatever he or she chooses. And I'm very satisfied at the way it worked out!
Tell 'em.
Leah
Occasional Phantom Presence

Post by Leah »

Another part of the FJ clue gives you a hint: it's not simply that Art Deco + NY likely equals Chrysler Building, but also if you know that Art Deco buildings did not exist until the 1920s and that trains (and GCT and Penn Station) were around decades before that, then the train stations should be eliminated because that mode of transport was old by the Art Deco era. It's really an architecture history question, not just landmarks.

My guess is that the great urban train terminals were all built before the Art Deco era. I am, as usual, both too busy and too lazy to look it up, but I remember even LA's train station, which is probably one of the later ones, as Spanish Colonial.
mystcmage
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by mystcmage »

I blew the FJ by following the NYC + transportation angle too much and thinking it had to do with the bus terminal.
I didn't realize "art deco" was the important part of the clue until the reveal.
This was one of the first Pavlovs I found while starting my project:

Art Deco skyscraper Chrysler Building (10 matches)
Holocene Hero
Valued Contributor

Post by Holocene Hero »

TenPoundHammer wrote:Curious as to how many others got Gorillaz and/or have listened to at least one of their songs. Possible poll question?
They're pretty well known, and Plastic Beach is a pretty gud album. Unfortunately, the people I know who tend to be really, really into them are somewhat obnoxious, along with fans of Sublime, Dream Theatre, Queen, and Eminem.
Last edited by Holocene Hero on Tue Apr 07, 2015 10:59 am, edited 1 time in total.
DHicton
ToC, Class of '07

Re: Coup de fois gras

Post by DHicton »

dhkendall wrote:So is Final supposed to be a YEKIOYD or what? (I was quite pleased of myself that I came up with Grand Central Station ... :oops: )
YEKIOYD?
dhkendall wrote:Precalling that we will get a visit from Sage. Just as another user is bound to come if someone forgets to state their response in the form of a question and loses in a close game, Sage is bound to come if a certain French phrase comes up and is inevitably "mispronounced". (Perhaps this could be the Beetlejuice Rule?)
In FJ, Brian was punished by "Les Dieux de la Vraie Prononciation" for saying "gras" earlier instead of "grâce". They must have heard me yell "NON!" at the TV.
TenPoundHammer

Post by TenPoundHammer »

dhkendall wrote:Yes and no. The TOM is sufficient enough if you know that Gorillaz is a band The Kids Today (tm) like, and thus could conceivably play something called a Coachella.
I knew you'd know it because I remember you getting them right the last (and only other, at least per the Archive) time they came up.

I wouldn't really classify them as a "Kids Today™" group though. Their only Top 40 hit in the US was in 2005, and their last album was in 2011. On the other hand, I would say the "virtual band" angle makes them more memorable if you have even passing knowledge of them, plus the fact that the two people who created them are also famous for something else (Damon Albarn for being a member of Blur, and Jamie Hewlett for co-creating the comic Tank Girl).

I got into them because I just saw too many mentions of them (one being their previous J! appearance; the other being my finding THREE of their albums at a thrift shop) and liked what I heard.
alietr
Site Admin

Post by alietr »

dhkendall wrote:Yes and no. The TOM is sufficient enough if you know that Gorillaz is a band The Kids Today (tm) like, and thus could conceivably play something called a Coachella.
Well, I know them and have listened to them mostly as a outgrowth (not outchange) from Blur, but I'm certainly not a Kid Today. I spend my time chasing them off my lawn.
dharrisf
Valued Contributor

Post by dharrisf »

MDaunt wrote:
Golf wrote:Learned 20 years ago that NYC + Art Deco = Chrysler Building in various trivia games.

However, the Empire State Building is Art Deco as well. Thought someone would fall for that neg.
That's why "transport" was in the clue.
Exactly. I first went to the Empire State Building based on "lobby" and "Art Deco," then corrected to Chrysler Building based on "transport."

Very good game to watch--enjoyed all three players and their performances.
This Is Kirk!
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by This Is Kirk! »

Did anyone else notice (I think) two of the contestants pronounced Coachella as "coe-a-chella?" Pretty sure most people call it "coe-chella."
dharrisf
Valued Contributor

Post by dharrisf »

This Is Kirk! wrote:Did anyone else notice (I think) two of the contestants pronounced Coachella as "coe-a-chella?" Pretty sure most people call it "coe-chella."
Most people would exclude Bugs Bunny, from whom I learned the mispronunciation:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wOFNTfWsQrQ
BigDaddyMatty
Hoping not to get pruney this time

Post by BigDaddyMatty »

This Is Kirk! wrote:Did anyone else notice (I think) two of the contestants pronounced Coachella as "coe-a-chella?" Pretty sure most people call it "coe-chella."
I heard Alex pronounce it that way and cringed. It's not like it's an obscure name of some far-flung tropical outpost (though Alex would probably nail the pronunciation there). It's a city/valley/festival less than 150 miles from the studio.
Sprinkles are for winners.
This Is Kirk!
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by This Is Kirk! »

BigDaddyMatty wrote:It's a city/valley/festival less than 150 miles from the studio.
True, but the thought of Alex attending the festival is pretty funny. :)
John Boy
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by John Boy »

dhkendall wrote:
Still say it's a YEKIOYD.
Art Deco on NYC is hardly limited to the Chrysler Building, so I would agree there were several reasonable choices. I also went with Grand Central.

Congrats to the champ on what is turning into a might nice run!
nightreign
#TeamAlsoRans

Post by nightreign »

I'm a Kid Today and I've NHO Gorillaz. Then again, they seem to be an electronica/alternative hip hop group, and I don't really listen to electronica or alt hip hop.

Stupidly said Ellis Island for FJ. The Chrysler Building didn't even cross my mind. I don't think I've gotten a Monday final right in a couple of months, despite this season's record being better than it usually is for me.
Elijah Baley
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by Elijah Baley »

BigDaddyMatty wrote:
I heard Alex pronounce it that way and cringed. It's not like it's an obscure name of some far-flung tropical outpost (though Alex would probably nail the pronunciation there). It's a city/valley/festival less than 150 miles from the studio.
SoCal native here and I've always heard it pronounced "coe-a-chella" but maybe that's just the old-school pronunciation.