Tuesday, April 7, 2015 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

Ryno
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Re: Tuesday, April 7, 2015 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

Post by Ryno » Tue Apr 07, 2015 8:10 pm

Congrats to Kerry. I see a pattern of winning without the lead going into FJ.

Instaget FJ. I remember when "In Living Color" did a spoof of that Natalie Cole/Nat King Cole video.
One time swimmer in the Jeopardy! pool

econgator
Let's Go Mets!

Post by econgator » Tue Apr 07, 2015 8:12 pm

BADuBois wrote:Does this mean Kerry is pretty close to being on the ToC?
That's 5. She's in.

doihavetoreally

Post by doihavetoreally » Tue Apr 07, 2015 8:13 pm

Ahem..i haven't even heard of Natalie, so 0% chance of getting FJ.

Kerry keeps going ala JCollins.
Good enough to lose on Jeopardy!

JayK33
Just a Fan

Post by JayK33 » Tue Apr 07, 2015 8:13 pm

So as I've mentioned in the past, it's number of games and not money that gets you in the ToC right? You can still be a 5 day champ who won $100 each day and that 5 day total of $500 can still get you in?

bpmod
Rank

Post by bpmod » Tue Apr 07, 2015 8:16 pm

OK, so 2.5 out of 35 is 'almost' 1 in 10. Got it.

Lisa Marie Presley had three Grammys before the age of twelve? Na, I'll go with Natalie King Cole.

Brian
...but the senator, while insisting he was not intoxicated, could not explain his nudity.

If I had 50 cents for every math question I got right, I'd have $6.30 by now.

xxaaaxx

Post by xxaaaxx » Tue Apr 07, 2015 8:17 pm

JayK33 wrote:So as I've mentioned in the past, it's number of games and not money that gets you in the ToC right? You can still be a 5 day champ who won $100 each day and that 5 day total of $500 can still get you in?
As long as there aren't enough 5+ day winners to push you out of the field, since total winnings is the tiebreaker between contestants with the same number of wins.

The Talking Mime

Post by The Talking Mime » Tue Apr 07, 2015 8:18 pm

That's three women now with spots in next year's ToC. The outchange continues.

Congrats on win #5, Kerry! Also, I enjoyed your interview about P.E.I. and Anne of Green Gables (as a P.E.I. resident myself, I always get a kick when we're mentioned on the show).

It might be just me, but I'm surprised the boards were cleared since the other two contestants seemed to slow down the pace of the game.

Instaget FJ for me as well.
"There is much pleasure to be gained from useless knowledge."
-Bertrand Russell

bpmod
Rank

Post by bpmod » Tue Apr 07, 2015 8:19 pm

xxaaaxx wrote:
JayK33 wrote:So as I've mentioned in the past, it's number of games and not money that gets you in the ToC right? You can still be a 5 day champ who won $100 each day and that 5 day total of $500 can still get you in?
As long as there aren't enough 5+ day winners to push you out of the field, since total winnings is the tiebreaker between contestants with the same number of wins.
But nobody has ever been 'pushed out' of the field. Pushed to a later field, yes.

Brian
...but the senator, while insisting he was not intoxicated, could not explain his nudity.

eboettch
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by eboettch » Tue Apr 07, 2015 8:29 pm

Maybe the reason Jan wasn't negged for Nat & Natalie King Cole was because she wrote King directly under Nat, so if you read it top-to-bottom, then left-to-right, you could plausibly arrive at Nat King & Natalie Cole?

clprez

Post by clprez » Tue Apr 07, 2015 8:32 pm

eboettch wrote:Maybe the reason Jan wasn't negged for Nat & Natalie King Cole was because she wrote King directly under Nat, so if you read it top-to-bottom, then left-to-right, you could plausibly arrive at Nat King & Natalie Cole?
After AT said it was right, that was my thinking too.

cheezguyty

Post by cheezguyty » Tue Apr 07, 2015 8:38 pm

Ryno wrote:Congrats to Kerry. I see a pattern of winning without the lead going into FJ.
Kerry is the first contestant to win three consecutive games when trailing since Jessamine Price did so more than three years ago.

cosmos

Post by cosmos » Tue Apr 07, 2015 8:43 pm

I timed the first round at 6:30 min (only counting actual time playing game) and the second at almost 7:10 with no LTAM that I could hear in either round. The usual limit seems to be around 7:00 so they apparently allowed a bit extra for DJ without danger of running out of time.

dhkendall
Pursuing the Dream

Post by dhkendall » Tue Apr 07, 2015 8:58 pm

TenPoundHammer wrote: Maple Leaf my only miss in Canada. I thought the name would be "obvious" in terms of it being a NYC-to-Toronto route, not being a symbol of Canada.
I almost clammed too until I noticed the stealth TOM in "flag" and rang in in time.
"Jeopardy! is two parts luck and one part luck" - Me

"The way to win on Jeopardy is to be a rabidly curious, information-omnivorous person your entire life." - Ken Jennings

Follow my progress game by game since 2012

JayK33
Just a Fan

Post by JayK33 » Tue Apr 07, 2015 8:59 pm

bpmod wrote:
xxaaaxx wrote:
But nobody has ever been 'pushed out' of the field. Pushed to a later field, yes.

Brian
Rani Peffer almost was, since they took a year plus long break between ToCs thanks to that Battle of the Decades tournament. But fortunately it didn't come to that.

bpmod
Rank

Post by bpmod » Tue Apr 07, 2015 9:04 pm

JayK33 wrote:
bpmod wrote:
xxaaaxx wrote:

Brian
Rani Peffer almost was, since they took a year plus long break between ToCs thanks to that Battle of the Decades tournament. But fortunately it didn't come to that.
Define 'almost'. I am not getting your point.

Brian

JayK33
Just a Fan

Post by JayK33 » Tue Apr 07, 2015 9:12 pm

I kept track of the ToC leaderboard last year and it was already filled with 5 time champs and tournament winners a while before the ToC actually aired. But this was when Jerry Slowik was still in the running. After his disqualification though the final spot opened back up, and the only 4 time champ to qualify took that place. Rani Peffer was on the bottom of the leaderboard with least amount won for 5 days before Slowik got DQed. Had he not gotten DQed, and had someone else won five games and more money than Rani did before the ToC was to air, wouldn't she have been knocked out since she was then #16?

grindcore
Some Guy

Post by grindcore » Tue Apr 07, 2015 9:27 pm

With the relative lack of lengthy champs this seasons I'd say even four-timers from here on out are almost guaranteed a spot. With Jennifer and the college champ, Vaughn, John, Kristin and Kerry and already past the halfway point, there's still nine spots. Eliot and Catherine are more or less in and I wouldn't be surprised to see a few three-dayers.

jeff6286

Post by jeff6286 » Tue Apr 07, 2015 9:37 pm

grindcore wrote:With the relative lack of lengthy champs this seasons I'd say even four-timers from here on out are almost guaranteed a spot. With Jennifer and the college champ, Vaughn, John, Kristin and Kerry and already past the halfway point, there's still nine spots. Eliot and Catherine are more or less in and I wouldn't be surprised to see a few three-dayers.
You do realize that the TOC was just in November, right? Less than 5 months ago. We don't know when the next one will be, it could be February 2016 or May 2016, those would be my guesses for the most likely spots. That is a long time from now, making it way too early to be throwing around words like "guaranteed" for four-timers.

xxaaaxx

Post by xxaaaxx » Tue Apr 07, 2015 9:43 pm

Are 5xers still guaranteed a spot? Is it written down somewhere? That would clear everything up.

barandall800
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by barandall800 » Tue Apr 07, 2015 9:45 pm

And just like that, we have another 5-time champ. Congrats, Kerry, on a great run so far. I hope it continues.

Once again today, I went gangbusters in the J! round, while my DJ! round performance was a bit of a wash. In J!, I ran Film School and French First Names, and would have run the Exodus category, but I made a silly mistake and negged with the Jordan River for the Red Sea clue. :oops:

FJ! was an instaget for me. I'm a big fan of both Coles (Natalie in particular), and all the info in the clue just clicked pretty quickly. Interestingly enough, I was precalling based on the category and wasn't thinking of any father-daughter celebrity pairings in music...I was hung up on acting.
clprez wrote:
eboettch wrote:Maybe the reason Jan wasn't negged for Nat & Natalie King Cole was because she wrote King directly under Nat, so if you read it top-to-bottom, then left-to-right, you could plausibly arrive at Nat King & Natalie Cole?
After AT said it was right, that was my thinking too.
Same here. It's possible the judges thought the same way...otherwise I agree it should have been negged.