Friday, April 10, 2015 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Re: Friday, April 10, 2015 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

Post by Bamaman »

omgwheelhouse wrote:If anyone was wondering, no one said anything to me about taking too much time after this game.
Were you intentionally stalling when deciding on your wager or were you just nervous and trying to decide what to do?
whoisalexjacob
2015 TOC'er

Post by whoisalexjacob »

Bamaman wrote:
omgwheelhouse wrote:If anyone was wondering, no one said anything to me about taking too much time after this game.
Were you intentionally stalling when deciding on your wager or were you just nervous and trying to decide what to do?
Trying to decide what to do. I thought it was a tricky situation
jkbrat
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by jkbrat »

From the 11/11/11 game thread:
RCraig wrote: There is no time limit on Daily Doubles. You will get pestered by Alex, but there is no time limit. The most I've ever taken is 15 seconds probably. 90% of the time, the dead air is cropped out and not in the final cut. This time it wasn't. Probably because of the "ummmmm , no " exchange in the beginning.
Budphrey wrote: I will have to admit that when he took a long time deciding on the last DD wager, I was briefly reminded of a past competitor admitting on the message board that he was looking to run out a little time late in the game when he was ahead. However, Roger's $10K wager totally erased that suspicion. (And the group used up all the clues anyway.)
Yes, I have never stalled ever. Instead, I am making a lot of calculations in my head. No one has really mentioned it, but my DD bet was more or less the best I could have made (probably could've been a little larger though). Came down to the last question to see if there was a lock-tie or not.
If Alex had simply stood still and stayed quiet, perhaps his "extra" (but possibly extremely common) thinking time would have been edited out (if, as Roger asserts, this is done "90% of the time"). The fact that he was doing a little of his thinking out loud (e.g., repeating the category name as part of his decision process) probably made it much more difficult to achieve a smooth edit, so in this case it had to be left in. It's unfortunate that the lack of the standard edit makes it appear as if he either received special treatment (was given extra time) or was intentionally stalling the game (not against the rules, but perceived by some as poor sportsmanship) when the most likely explanation is that neither is true.
There are times I almost think I am not sure of what I absolutely knooooooooo-OW

Learn, Review, Repeat

A Archipelago
JayK33
Just a Fan

Post by JayK33 »

I added the current revision on Alex's Wikipedia page (someone else added the J Archive link): http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Alex_Jacob

Have I phrased it correctly? Is the exact date necessary or would the year alone been enough
LeFlaneur
Jeopardy! Contestant

Post by LeFlaneur »

OMG Alex. Brilliant game! I saw a month ago that you were going to be on J and you didn't disappoint. I've watched J since 1965 and you were one of the singularly most unique contestants ever to grace the show. I didn't watch it until Saturday night and your prescence/personna was so intriguing that about
halfway through I said "That guy's a boardie!" It made it even more interesting because I've been reading your missives for the last 2 and one half years.

"Potting " it all when you did was beyond belief but it worked out.

The only other contestant that I can remember who talked like you did to AT, at least when it came to wagering, was this comiedian who was on in '99 or early 2000 and when AT asked if he was sure he wanted to bet it all he replied "Why not Alex, it's not my money." Who was that guy? Anybody know?

Anyway, best of retro luck on Monday and congratulations on finishing off one of the most exciting weeks in a long time.
Le Flaneur
This Is Kirk!
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by This Is Kirk! »

omgwheelhouse wrote:
Woppy T wrote:
opusthepenguin wrote:I'm loving the new champ for proving you can be an entertaining contestant even if you're not all upbeat and rah rah. I look forward to the film version where he will be played by Nicolas Cage.
I was thinking Bradley Cooper.
Wow, I'll take it... you guys are way more generous than Twitter... there I got Jonah Hill and Artie Lange
Too funny. I guess you're a cross between Bradley Cooper and Artie Lange. :D
dhkendall
Pursuing the Dream

Post by dhkendall »

LeFlaneur wrote: The only other contestant that I can remember who talked like you did to AT, at least when it came to wagering, was this comiedian who was on in '99 or early 2000 and when AT asked if he was sure he wanted to bet it all he replied "Why not Alex, it's not my money." Who was that guy? Anybody know?
Sounds like Bob Harris, who was a comedian, was in the 1998 ToC, and is one of my top favourite players. This definitely sounds like something he'd say.
"Jeopardy! is two parts luck and one part luck" - Me

"The way to win on Jeopardy is to be a rabidly curious, information-omnivorous person your entire life." - Ken Jennings

Follow my progress game by game since 2012
yclept
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by yclept »

jeff6286 wrote:
MarkBarrett wrote: From section 6 of the player contract in 2005:

...If I do appear on the program, Producer may terminate my participation at any time, at Producer's discretion.
Hmm, interesting. With as particular they are with the Standards & Practices stuff, it's hard to believe they would ever exercise this discretion barring something really extreme, such as a player going Latrell Sprewell on Alex Trebek or something. Saying "This player won the game but we've decided not to let him play another game because we don't like him" doesn't seem like it's in the spirit of fairness.
I would assume this kind of language is in the contracts of all competition style shows. Simply meant to protect the interests of the show and not to throw a player off just because viewers may not like him or her.
Silverfox
Don't Step on My Tail!

Post by Silverfox »

Regarding roman numerals. Here is a trick that I created to remember them.
There are only 7 of them.
I
V
X
L
C
D
M
Everyone knows the first three and does not confuse them too often. The last four are easier to mix up. In order to keep the following straight I made a mnemonic for myself. In order of increasing value 50, 100, 500, and 1,000. I use liquid crystal display monitor. LCDM. It works for me.

BTW I went 5/5 in Tax time. (My former occupation.) Why couldn't they wait and use that when I get on the show???
Be alert. Stupid never takes a day off!
TenPoundHammer

Post by TenPoundHammer »

^ My problems are twofold. First, I go "Wait, does 50 have its own letter?" Then I go "okay, I doubt 50 is XXXXX, but what the heck is 50 again?!" But by the time I've gotten to "I doubt 50 is XXXXX", they're already two clues ahead of me.
cosmos

Post by cosmos »

TenPoundHammer wrote:^ My problems are twofold. First, I go "Wait, does 50 have its own letter?" Then I go "okay, I doubt 50 is XXXXX, but what the heck is 50 again?!" But by the time I've gotten to "I doubt 50 is XXXXX", they're already two clues ahead of me.
Now you're in a pickle with 501, 50 & 50. (DI-L-L).

http://j-archive.com/showgame.php?game_id=3811

Maybe you can remember it that way.
MitchO

Post by MitchO »

Jumpin' Jesus on a pogo stick, how did I not put 2 and 2 together with Alex's identity? That's why I know your icon; I've watched you play at the WSOP also! Man, I totally did not recognize you with the haircut (and for some reason, you seem taller on Jeopardy! (standing up) than you do at a poker table (sitting down) :p
DHicton
ToC, Class of '07

Post by DHicton »

omgwheelhouse wrote:
Woppy T wrote:
opusthepenguin wrote:I'm loving the new champ for proving you can be an entertaining contestant even if you're not all upbeat and rah rah. I look forward to the film version where he will be played by Nicolas Cage.
I was thinking Bradley Cooper.
Wow, I'll take it... you guys are way more generous than Twitter... there I got Jonah Hill and Artie Lange
I was thinking Chris D'Elia, but with better hair.