500 Questions [POSSIBLE SPOILERS]

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

cutlaaah
Valued Contributor

Re: 500 Questions [POSSIBLE SPOILERS]

Post by cutlaaah »

jeff6286 wrote:Not sure if you're just making an observation or trying to imply something here
The latter, unless you think he could straight-up beat the snot out of guys like Rutter or Jennings who have far worse LL stats.

jeff6286
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by jeff6286 »

cutlaaah wrote:
jeff6286 wrote:Not sure if you're just making an observation or trying to imply something here
The latter, unless you think he could straight-up beat the snot out of guys like Rutter or Jennings who have far worse LL stats.
I think in Learned League he'd do quite well. Rutter and Jennings know tons of stuff, and they're both great at LL, but they don't have that huge edge in buzzer speed and quick thinking like they do in Jeopardy. I think the very top LL players are on a higher tier than Jennings and Rutter in LL questions.

Lampy

Post by Lampy »

http://www.hsquizbowl.org/db/tournament ... dividuals/

I wonder if there were any TV questions.

Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Post by Bamaman »

They got through 85 questions tonight in two hours compared to 38 in one hour last night. So it was a little better, but not much, numbers-wise.

The host seemed to have calmed down a bit from the first show and it felt like it flowed better. I wonder if there is a focus group watching the show giving them feedback about what they like and don't like.

Lampy, were two hours originally scheduled or did they just slap two together and cut out the ending and intros to make it look like one big show? It seemed like there was a cut of some kind right when you went for your 25th question.

I think they are trying to manufacture some kind of rivalry between the two players. With the first to, it didn't work because they just seemed like two guys having fun playing trivia in someone's living room. The second match didn't last long until Lampy took over so I didn't get a feel of that one. The chess guy tried to get something going, but he didn't get many chances and seemed like too nice a guy to be mean. This last guy is really pushing it and getting on my nerves. It is either an act for TV or he is just a jerk in general.

While it was better, I am still not a fan.

Woof
Swimming in the Jeopardy! Pool

Post by Woof »

Nicely played, Steve. I was rooting for you hard and you didn't let me down. I thought that tonight's episode did move somewhat better, too. I'm still not wild about the format, though.

Winchell Factor
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by Winchell Factor »

Bamaman wrote:The host seemed to have calmed down a bit from the first show....
He had a lot of room to work in.

barandall800
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by barandall800 »

Watched for the first time tonight (though only caught most of the first hour before I had to leave for something). I'll definitely stick around. Maybe I have lower standards or something, but I really enjoyed it. It seemed to draw me in pretty quickly, which I was surprised about. Ugh at the "dramatic" commercial breaks, but that's a casualty of being a prime time game show, I suppose.

I do agree the host trying to make the "gone" catchphrase happen is like Gretchen trying to make "fetch" happen...it's not going to happen. :D Otherwise, though, I think he's pretty engaging and doesn't slow things down too much, at least not tonight. And good job, Lampy/Steve!

MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

Challenger James beat the Beast on The Chase. He was the same way on that show. Both Steve and James would be great J! contestants down the line when they are eligible.

Idol winners, AHS seasons and BB? It was a different thread when we were naming dream boards. Those were dream questions.

Steve: It has been great fun watching you navigate through the misses to fight off the challengers. The times seeing you escape the two-strike situations would have been more exciting/nerve-wracking for viewers if the frequent promos had not shown your number/500 indicating you were not going anywhere at least tonight.

My design for the show would have been one contestant at a time with no challenger. That would increase the pace and question count. Three in a row would be out and two challengers would go head-to-head on Battle questions (best of 3) for the right to be the next contestant.

As the show is now the fast forward button and delay viewing are necessities.

dhkendall
Pursuing the Dream

Post by dhkendall »

immaf wrote:I don't think I'm coming back. [...] I kept thinking "Are they ever going to have a woman on the show?"
You're giving up too early, I believe Megan Rafferty-Barnes mentioned (alluded to) on here that she'll be on tomorrow. Having seen two people (Steve and Jonathan) that I'm familiar with today, looking forward to tomorrow! (BTW, loved the Steve/Jonathon match, maybe it's because I "knew" them from quizzing and LL , but I thought they definitely had the best personalities so far (and the current challenger, (James?) is my least favourite personality so far, where's floridagator's catchphrase when you need it?)

And I agree, the pace was quicker today, probably because we already got the rules rigamarole yesterday. Also agree that it could still pick up the pace more, it's at about Millionaire speed now.The host still needs to be viciously attacked with a runcible spoon too. He, I will not miss. I also did not too badly playing along at home, but I don't think I'd have scored nearly enough on the test to qualify. (And, again, having my blood type be type Maple Syrup seems to automatically disqualify me too.)
NYCScribbler wrote:hell, give 'em a year's supply of Rice-A-Roni or something.
That reminds me, do they even still make the stuff? I haven't seen it on store shelves (or in advertisements) for years. And, oddly, a forum of game show aficionados might know, given its association with game shows.
"Jeopardy! is two parts luck and one part luck" - Me

"The way to win on Jeopardy is to be a rabidly curious, information-omnivorous person your entire life." - Ken Jennings

Follow my progress game by game since 2012

barandall800
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by barandall800 »

dhkendall wrote:
That reminds me, do they even still make the stuff? I haven't seen it on store shelves (or in advertisements) for years. And, oddly, a forum of game show aficionados might know, given its association with game shows.
It's still quite alive and well on the shelves of the stores I frequent. (Though I'm more of a Pasta Roni man myself.) :)

Lampy

Post by Lampy »

Lampy wrote:http://www.hsquizbowl.org/db/tournament ... dividuals/

I also won a TV side event at this pop-culture quizbowl tourney, though there are no documents to prove it. Can we please not.

EDIT: Stats were informal and the Lunas said I won at the time, my mistake though. Not exactly a distant third.

http://www.hsquizbowl.org/forums/viewto ... 23#p190523
Last edited by Lampy on Fri May 22, 2015 10:32 am, edited 1 time in total.

silverscreentest
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by silverscreentest »

Lampy wrote:http://www.hsquizbowl.org/db/tournament ... dividuals/

Yes, there were.

http://www.hsquizbowl.org/db/questionsets/1462/
Silver Screen Test, my movie trivia game show. Watch some of the episodes On-Demand.

DysonSphere
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by DysonSphere »

I enjoy the actual show, but there are so many advertisements, I don't think I can stomach anymore.

It seems like half of the 2 hours is ads. Every few questions, another ad break. It's like torture. I can't take another ~45 minutes of car and insurance commercials tonight.

legendneverdies

Post by legendneverdies »

DysonSphere wrote:I enjoy the actual show, but there are so many advertisements, I don't think I can stomach anymore.

It seems like half of the 2 hours is ads. Every few questions, another ad break. It's like torture. I can't take another ~45 minutes of car and insurance commercials tonight.
The show ran about as long as a normal hour long show would run in primetime, which is 42 mins or so I think these days.

DysonSphere
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by DysonSphere »

legendneverdies wrote:
DysonSphere wrote:I enjoy the actual show, but there are so many advertisements, I don't think I can stomach anymore.

The show ran about as long as a normal hour long show would run in primetime, which is 42 mins or so I think these days.
Last night's episode was two hours, so I'm curious about how you reached your run-time estimate.

I looked up 500 questions on IMDB.com and people in both threads so far are complaining about pace - one explicitly about ads - so at least I'm not the only one (admittedly a small sample size):
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt4591316/boa ... f_=tt_bd_2

Even if the ad-time is "normal" for modern-day TV (a good argument for DVR or other means), that's still 36 minutes of sitting through BUY A NEW LEXUS TODAY. I just don't have time in my life for that crap.

MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

dhkendall wrote:
When you are in the States for your audition visit a grocery store during your travels. I would guess there are more than a dozen flavors of Rice-A-Roni as well as the previously mentioned Pasta Roni. Both are easy enough to prepare that even I know how to make them.

dhkendall
Pursuing the Dream

Post by dhkendall »

MarkBarrett wrote:
dhkendall wrote:
When you are in the States for your audition visit a grocery store during your travels. I would guess there are more than a dozen flavors of Rice-A-Roni as well as the previously mentioned Pasta Roni. Both are easy enough to prepare that even I know how to make them.
That's also why I mentioned that I haven't seen it in ads either; I watch plenty of American TV (as proof, I'm a moderator on a discussion board for fans of one long-running US syndicated show) and thus have seen several U.S. Ads, but not Rice-a-Roni since I think the early 90s (before that it was ubiquitous, and can still sing the jingle)
"Jeopardy! is two parts luck and one part luck" - Me

"The way to win on Jeopardy is to be a rabidly curious, information-omnivorous person your entire life." - Ken Jennings

Follow my progress game by game since 2012

Woof
Swimming in the Jeopardy! Pool

Post by Woof »

MarkBarrett wrote:
dhkendall wrote:
Of course you do, Mark. After all, it is the "San Francisco treat" :lol:

billiej

Post by billiej »

econgator wrote:
Winchell Factor wrote:Not sure I can stand seven nights of Richard Quest's histrionics and faux-threatening manner.
And if he says "And three wrong in a row and you're ....", I'm going to punch my TV. Quit trying to make it a catchphrase. It never will be.

Is that your final answer? ;)

Did anyone else not get last night ep because of that Red Nose telethon or whatever it was?

BigDaddyMatty
Save Me, Maggie!

Post by BigDaddyMatty »

One of the worst parts of this show has to be the lack of a big-time prize to aim for. Contra MSQ, which had running (eventually) six-figure payouts for its four leaders with the promise that one of them would walk away with "the richest prize in television game show history," here we have a single player banking a measly thousand bucks only some of the times he successfully answers a question into a jackpot we know there is virtually no chance he will actually receive. Sure, there's the few thousand bucks they can win every 25th question, but come on. That bank needs to be huge. This is prime time network television. Five thousand per regular question. Ten thousand per battle/top ten/triple threat. A huge bonus at the end for the 500th question. If it's all just funny money anyway, at least make it pie-in-the-sky funny money. And none of this nonsense of only adding to the bank if it's the contestant's first answer. Nothing is so anti-climactic as saying "congratulations on getting that one right and earning absolutely nothing!"
Sprinkles are for winners.