Monday, April 13, 2015 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

Archivists
Fan-created archive of games and players

Monday, April 13, 2015 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

Post by Archivists »

Game Recap for Show #7046, 2015-04-13

CONTESTANTS
Kathy Callahan, a student, volunteer and happy retiree from Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
Carlos Capellan, an IT manager from Queens, New York
Alex Jacob, a currency trader from Chicago, Illinois (whose 1-day cash winnings total $23,200)

OPENING REMARKS
Alex Trebek: Thank you, Johnny. Thank you, ladies and gentlemen, and welcome. There's still some debate over whether the returning champion has an advantage over the challengers. Well, the answer is, of course he does, if the same categories appear on today's program that were on our last show. Otherwise, it's pretty even. Carlos and Kathy, welcome aboard. Alex, good to see you again. Here we go. The Jeopardy! Round is where we start. And we start with these categories...

JEOPARDY! ROUND CATEGORIES
COUNTRIES IN 3 WORDS (4/5)
TRUE OR FALSE (5/5)
BASKETBALL HALL OF FAMERS (4/5)
'99 (5/5, including 1 correct Daily Double)
BOTTLES OF BEER (5/5)
ON THE WALL (4/5)

THE RIGHTS & THE WRONGS
Alex: 17 R (including 1 rebound), 1 W
Carlos: 8 R (including 1 DD), 3 W
Kathy: 2 R, 0 W

Clues revealed: 30
Triple Stumpers: 3
Jeopardy! Round Potential Lach Trash: $2,800

JEOPARDY! ROUND DAILY DOUBLE
Carlos found the Daily Double on the 10th clue. Alex had $1,800, Carlos was in the red with -$400, and Kathy had nothing in the bank. Carlos wagered $1,000.

'99 $600: Great idea--he decreed in 1699 that the new year would begin in Russia on January 1, not September 1

SCORES AT THE FIRST BREAK
Alex: $5,000
Carlos: $600
Kathy: $0

CONTESTANT INTERVIEWS

Alex Trebek: Most of us have heard of boys' weekend out, but Kathy Callahan has, for many years now, been enjoying a sisters' weekend. How many sisters are we talking about?

Kathy: One sister, and this weekend makes it our 30th in a row. My sister, Liz, is here, and we meet somewhere in the country to spend some girl time.

Alex Trebek: And is it just the fact that the two of you are getting together, or are the places an important factor in where you're gonna wind up?

Kathy: Oh, absolutely. It's usually a choice between a resort or a major city.

Alex Trebek: Ah, okay, good.

Alex Trebek: Carlos Capellan, from Queens, is an IT manager who used to be in the Army, in what group?

Carlos: I was in the 2nd Infantry Division, Alex, and I was a field-artillery officer.

Alex Trebek: Which means you probably served in Iraq.

Carlos: Yes, exactly.

Alex Trebek: A lot of controversy this year over the film American Sniper. What's your reaction to the film?

Carlos: Well, Alex, I haven't seen the movie yet, but I actually might go on Wednesday with other veterans to go see it together.

Alex Trebek: Okay.

Alex Trebek: Alex Jacob, currency trader from Chicago. He was our champion. And I don't know, you don't look like a mean guy, and yet I have information that says you once made somebody cry over a game of chess. Come on, now, what happened, Alex?

Alex Jacob: Well, to be fair, we were both about 8 years old at the time.

Alex Trebek: Oh. [Laughter]

Alex Jacob: I used to travel for chess tournaments. It was a national tournament, and in a tournament, if you touch a piece, you have to move it. Well, this child kind of had a tantrum and didn't want to move his piece, and they had to be kind of carried out of the tournament room, and they just said, "Hey, you win, kid." [Chuckles]

Alex Trebek: Not a good way to win, but I understand.

TRIPLE STUMPERS IN THE JEOPARDY! ROUND
COUNTRIES IN 3 WORDS $1000: Formerly Gilbert Islands
(Carlos: What are the Solomon Islands?)

ON THE WALL $1000: In fresco painting intonaco is the final coating of this lime-y substance spread on a wall
(Alex: What is... uh, stucco?)
(Carlos: What is quicklime?)

BASKETBALL HALL OF FAMERS $800: This legendary Lakers announcer who popularized the term "slam dunk"

SCORES AT THE END OF THE JEOPARDY! ROUND
Alex: $8,800
Carlos: $2,800
Kathy: $600
Archivists
Fan-created archive of games and players

Re: Monday, April 13, 2015 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

Post by Archivists »

DOUBLE JEOPARDY! ROUND CATEGORIES
BROADWAY DEBUTS (4/5)
BOOK SYNOPSES (4/5, including 1 correct Daily Double)
INTERNATIONAL LAW (4/5, including 1 missed Daily Double)
WHICH BODY PART? (4/5)
HEY, "BRO"! (5/5)
EASTER ISLAND (4/5) (Sarah: One of mankind's most intriguing cultures.)

THE RIGHTS & THE WRONGS
Alex: 9 R (including 1 rebound and 1 DD), 1 W
Carlos: 10 R (including 1 rebound), 2 W (including 1 DD)
Kathy: 6 R (including 1 rebound), 3 W

Clues revealed: 30
Triple Stumpers: 4
Double Jeopardy! Round Potential Lach Trash: $4,800

FIRST DOUBLE JEOPARDY! ROUND DAILY DOUBLE
Alex snagged the next Daily Double on the 2nd clue. Alex had $9,200, Carlos had $2,800, and Kathy was at $600. Alex made it a True Daily Double, wagering $9,200.

BOOK SYNOPSES $1600: Harvard Law grad Mitch McDeere takes a job with a mafia-connected law partnership

SECOND DOUBLE JEOPARDY! ROUND DAILY DOUBLE
It was Carlos who snatched up the last Daily Double of the game on the 4th clue. Alex had $18,400, Carlos had $4,000, and Kathy was at $600. Carlos made it a True Daily Double, wagering $4,000.

INTERNATIONAL LAW $1600: This reciprocal 2-word status exempts ambassadors from taxation as well as arrest in most cases
(Carlos: What is de jure)

TRIPLE STUMPERS IN THE DOUBLE JEOPARDY! ROUND
BROADWAY DEBUTS $1200: "I don't even like the theater!", said this 67-year-old sourpuss comedian about his 2015 bow in his own play "Fish in the Dark"

BOOK SYNOPSES $1200: 13-year-old Theo Decker steals a painting of a yellow bird from a museum

EASTER ISLAND $800: (Sarah of the Clue Crew reports from Easter Island.) Moai, the giant stone statues that grace Easter Island, sit atop ceremonial pedestals known as ahus, that could also serve as these, celebrating important figures within
(Kathy: What are monuments?)

WHICH BODY PART? $1600: Strabismus:
Misalignment of these
(Kathy: What is vertebrae?)
(Alex Trebek: Less than a minute to deal with the last four clues.)

SCORES ENTERING FINAL JEOPARDY!
Alex: $26,400 (lock game)
Carlos: $7,200
Kathy: $4,200

PREFINAL REMARKS
(Before Final Jeopardy!, Sarah Whitcomb Foss of the Jeopardy! Clue Crew plugs the travel sponsor.)
Immerse yourself in the mysteries of Easter Island with Lindblad Expeditions and National Geographic. Explore volcanic calderas, jagged lava fields, and sweeping grasslands as you discover the ancient carved stones of a long-lost culture. Go to expeditions.com to make this bucket-list dream a reality.

FINAL JEOPARDY! CATEGORY
GEOGRAPHY

VENUSIAN MONOLOGUES/MARTIAN CHRONICLES
Lock for first place; crush for second place.
Alex: Wager between $0 (venusian) and $11,999 (martian), and enjoy your victory.
Carlos: Wager $1,201 to cover Kathy.
Kathy: You have the hope of surpassing Carlos for second place if you come up with the correct response or if your opponent fails to. Bet between $1,800 and $4,198.

FINAL JEOPARDY! CLUE
The Caucasian Isthmus lies between these 2 large inland bodies of water

FINAL SCORES
Kathy: $4,200 + $4,195 = $8,395 (What are the Caspian sea and the blac) (2nd place)
Carlos: $7,200 - $1,201 = $5,999 (What are the Black Sea and the) (3rd place)
Alex: $26,400 - $0 = $26,400 (What is I love you Jenn! Thanks for everything Mom and Dad Hi Seth) (23201-day champion: $26,400)
(Alex Trebek: [To Kathy] We don't penalize you for, uh, misspellings, and you got B-L-A-C in there, and that's pronounced "black" where I come from, so you are correct.)

Total Potential Lach Trash: $7,600

GAME DYNAMICS

CORYAT SCORES
Alex: $18,800, 26 R (including 1 DD), 2 W
Carlos: $10,800, 18 R (including 1 DD), 5 W (including 1 DD)
Kathy: $4,200, 8 R, 3 W
Combined Coryat: $33,800

BATTING AVERAGES
Alex: 26/59 = .441
Carlos: 18/60 = .300
Kathy: 9/58 = .155
Team: 53/63 = .841

MISCELLANEOUS INTERESTING CLUES
ON THE WALL $600: The name for this light holder is etymologically related to the word abscond

ON THE WALL $400: In the 1920s this Mexican artist painted his "Creation" mural for the Bolivar Auditorium
(Carlos: Who is Orozco?)

BROADWAY DEBUTS $1600: Before "Wicked", she won a Theatre World Award for her role in the 1997 musical "Steel Pier"
(Alex Jacob: Who is Menzel?)

WHICH BODY PART? $2000: Graves disease:
This gland
(Carlos: What's pituitary?)

EASTER ISLAND $400: (Sarah of the Clue Crew reports from Easter Island.) In 1888, this country annexed Easter Island, leasing the land for sheep-raising & later granted its inhabitants citizenship

EASTER ISLAND $1200: (Sarah of the Clue Crew reports from Easter Island.) The original Rongorongo tablets of Easter Island are now housed in museums around the world; replicas here on the island show this type of pictographic script that was used, though the meanings have been lost to time

EASTER ISLAND $1600: (Sarah of the Clue Crew reports from Easter Island.) Easter Island is volcanic in nature, & walks along its craters will turn up this volcanic glass that also lends its name to a color
(Kathy: What is onyx?)

HEY, "BRO"! $1600: It's the type of rich textile seen here
(Kathy: What is a tapes--what is [*]?)
(Alex Trebek: [*]. Good correction.)

EASTER ISLAND $2000: (Sarah of the Clue Crew reports from Easter Island.) The stone village of Orongo was the site of a yearly trial where young men scaled down a cliff and swam through shark-infested waters to retrieve the egg of a sooty one of these birds

CORRECT RESPONSES
Peter the Great
Kiribati
plaster
Chick Hearn
The Firm
diplomatic immunity
Larry David
The Goldfinch
burial chambers
the eyes
the Caspian Sea & the Black Sea
a sconce
(Diego) Rivera
(Kristin) Chenoweth
thyroid
Chile
hierglyphics
obsidian
brocade
a tern
jeff6286
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by jeff6286 »

Geography
The Caucasian Isthmus lies between these 2 large inland bodies of water.

Spoiler
What are the Black Sea and Caspian Sea? Carlos had just the Black Sea; Alex had a long personal message and no answer.

Alex Jacob: $26,400-$0=$26,400...now a 2-day champion with $49,600
Carlos Capellan: $7,200-$1,201=$5,999
Kathy Callahan: $4,200+$4,195=$8,395
Last edited by jeff6286 on Mon Apr 13, 2015 8:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.
dhkendall
Pursuing the Dream

Post by dhkendall »

Interesting that "Dogs Playing Poker" came up, not because Alex/omgw is a former poker player, but because, for some reason, I thought that knowing who the artist is of Dogs Playing Poker might be useful for the test, that there was a chance it would come up on the test, so I looked it up just earlier today. It kind of worked (although they gave Coolidge in the clue), but now I highly doubt it would be on the test, having come up on today's show.

I'm thinking hbomb1947 may have done well on the Easter Island category. ;)

Judges: INTERNATIONAL LAW $400 - "What is asylum?" was given for the clue ("Refuge granted by a sovereign state, it can sometimes be sought in an embassy"). Would "What is sanctuary?" be acceptable?

Is the Black Sea really "inland" since it's connected to the ocean through the Dardanelles, etc?

Way to go Alex! I've liked your playing style, I like that I'll be seeing it at least one more day! Nice shout out too.
"Jeopardy! is two parts luck and one part luck" - Me

"The way to win on Jeopardy is to be a rabidly curious, information-omnivorous person your entire life." - Ken Jennings

Follow my progress game by game since 2012
floridagator

Post by floridagator »

Despite the one-sidedness of it, that was quite a game to watch. I had a feeling Alex would go TDD with 9200 when his closest rival had only 2800. For the other DD in that round, I thought diplomatic immunity was very easy, and still Carlos blew it. I took the negbait on onyx just like Kathy did.

FJ was instaget for me, and I thought all three players would get it. Only one, and her only barely.

I also negged on Grave's disease and said adrenal glands because I mixed it up with Addison's disesase. Did you know that if JFK hadn't been assassinated by Lee Harvey Oswald (acting alone), he probably would have died soon thereafter from Addison's disease? (If that wasn't ever a J! clue, it should be.)
I'd rather cuddle then have sex. If you're into grammar, you'll understand.
TenPoundHammer

Post by TenPoundHammer »

All but Harp in Beer, but 0/5 in '99 and Basketball.

Wow, major balls on that Book Synopses DD.

Lach Trash on strabismus = eyes.

I thought International Law was completely impenetrable.

FJ! struck me as completely YEKIOYD. How the heck did anyone get this right?!
econgator
Let's Go Mets!

Post by econgator »

floridagator wrote:I took the negbait on onyx just like Kathy did.

My negbait was Menzel instead of Chenoweth.
Golf

Post by Golf »

Welcome to how Jeopardy is supposed to be played. No surprise that a top level poker player who is well versed in expected value knows how to wager on both DD's and FJ. Take note non Wagering Vikings.
econgator
Let's Go Mets!

Post by econgator »

TenPoundHammer wrote:FJ! struck me as completely YEKIOYD. How the heck did anyone get this right?!

Well, everybody (and by "everybody", I mean "everybody but you") knows that the Caspian is the world's largest landlocked body of water. There's one -- what's close to it?

And, oh yeah, damn fine game, Alex.
Abraxas

Post by Abraxas »

Congratulations, Alex, on another impressive win! Again, a very large wager for a true Daily Double pays off. I had 38 correct responses including two triple stumpers: plaster, and The Goldfinch. I also got the missed DD of diplomatic immunity. For FJ, I got only the Black Sea but not Caspian.
Leander

Post by Leander »

econgator wrote:
TenPoundHammer wrote:FJ! struck me as completely YEKIOYD. How the heck did anyone get this right?!

Well, everybody (and by "everybody", I mean "everybody but you") knows that the Caspian is the world's largest landlocked body of water. There's one -- what's close to it?

And, oh yeah, damn fine game, Alex.
I dunno, the Aral Sea? I wouldn't have jumped to the Caspian based on an assumption that they were looking for the largest inland body of water.

This was an instaget for me based on Caucasian>Caucasus Mountains>area between Black Sea and Caspian. I was a little nervous because I don't think of the Black Sea as inland.

I must be stupid since I don't see why wagering zero from first is the right move in this game unless one is completely unfamiliar with the category, or one doesn't care about the money and wants to say hi to the family.
HostWithTheMost
Valued Contributor

Post by HostWithTheMost »

Ballsy wager by Alex on the second DD, but that clue was way overvalued at $1600.

2/3 DD. Stumped on FJ. Aced the Basketball HOFers category.
Dr. J
Decade Battler and Mustache Maker

Post by Dr. J »

What was the opening comment from Trebek about? Was there some discussion of Alex's poker playing success being an advantage that I missed, or was it something else?
danspartan
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by danspartan »

TenPoundHammer wrote:
FJ! struck me as completely YEKIOYD. How the heck did anyone get this right?!
Caucasian leads to Caucuses leads to Russia part of the world leads to Caspian and Black Seas. Can be logic'd out but you have to know a couple of other things. (had never heard of the caucasian straights, thought maybe that was a redneck Indiana political group. :mrgreen: )
Golf

Post by Golf »

Leander wrote:I must be stupid since I don't see why wagering zero from first is the right move in this game unless one is completely unfamiliar with the category, or one doesn't care about the money and wants to say hi to the family.
Not stupid, just don't understand wagering theory. Depending on category in his situation, you either bet $0 or the maximum that still guarantees the lock.
HostWithTheMost
Valued Contributor

Post by HostWithTheMost »

Dr. J wrote:What was the opening comment from Trebek about? Was there some discussion of Alex's poker playing success being an advantage that I missed, or was it something else?
Just about some chatter about how the returning champion (didn't mention Alex by name) has an advantage, but only if the exact same categories came up from the previous day when s/he won their initial game.
Dr. J
Decade Battler and Mustache Maker

Post by Dr. J »

HostWithTheMost wrote:
Dr. J wrote:What was the opening comment from Trebek about? Was there some discussion of Alex's poker playing success being an advantage that I missed, or was it something else?
Just about some chatter about how the returning champion (didn't mention Alex by name) has an advantage, but only if the exact same categories came up from the previous day when s/he won their initial game.
Yes, but why would there even be talk of that? Every returning champ has a bit of an advantage. It just seemed odd to me, like I was missing some context.

On a different topic, I thought that Alex's voice and manner of speaking was reminiscent of Jonah Hill, which amused me.

I was also waiting for one of the Easter Island answers to be Scottie Pippin, as he's always reminded me of a modern Moai.
nightreign
#TeamAlsoRans

Post by nightreign »

At risk of sounding like TPH, I have a hard time keeping all the seas straight. I did have the Black Sea, but not the Caspian.
NoName84

Post by NoName84 »

econgator wrote:My negbait was Menzel instead of Chenoweth.
Same here.
StevenH
Not J! Contestant Material

Post by StevenH »

Congrats to Alex on winning again, and in such a dominating fashion!

I found this to be a pretty tough board, except for the International Law category, which probably would have been okay in the Teen Tournament.

I was excited when I saw the Basketball category. I joined the contestants in just staring at the clue on the announcer dude, but the other 4 clues were slam dunks.

My FJ thought process was identical to Leander's.