Wednesday, April 15, 2015 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

ElendilPickle
ToC Enabler

Re: Wednesday, April 15, 2015 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

Post by ElendilPickle » Wed Apr 15, 2015 8:28 pm

Good game today! Congratulations again, Alex. This was definitely a good day to get FJ right.
I'm surprised that no one has mentioned the triple stumper that made me laugh harder than anything else I've ever seen on Jeopardy!, and not because anyone did anything particularly bad. OMG, does anyone know what I mean?
I literally LOLed.

opusthepenguin
The Best Darn Penguin on the Whole JBoard

Post by opusthepenguin » Wed Apr 15, 2015 8:32 pm

KazooJ!fan wrote:Becky gave Alex a run for his title. Too bad she got FJ wrong.
Yeah, because otherwise she could've come in second.

Dr. J
Decade Battler and Mustache Maker

Post by Dr. J » Wed Apr 15, 2015 8:32 pm

Linear Gnome wrote:I'm surprised that no one has mentioned the triple stumper that made me laugh harder than anything else I've ever seen on Jeopardy!, and not because anyone did anything particularly bad. OMG, does anyone know what I mean?
I laughed so hard that my husband asked me what was so funny, and we backed up the TV three times to watch Alex's reaction. Glad I never got any Dr. J questions!

One of the legacies of my sorority days is the fact that I can still recite the Greek alphabet very quickly (before a lit match burns out, actually), so that wasn't a toughie.

TenPoundHammer
Otters are meant to swim

Post by TenPoundHammer » Wed Apr 15, 2015 8:33 pm

Wow, exciting game. Becky gave Alex a real workout today, but he still got the win.

You'd think I'd be able to remember Gallaudet given my propensity for funny names, but no.

Amniotic sac was my only miss in Mixed Bag.

Surprised myself with 3/4 in Fledermaus (all but Redgrave) despite having no idea what it was other than "German for bat".

I thought "Ube" was upside down for the most part. No way was I getting "cube", and "Reuben" was way too obscure without a sandwich TOM, but I got the bottom 3.

I have never seen a picture of Carl Sagan in my life.

I thought also that Compound Words was way too Sheldon Cooperesque and too lacking in TOM. 0/5.

Longest in English? Epsilon and… um, omicron is 7 too. Good thing you only want two.
Ten Pound Hammer

This space for rent

GhostStalker
Jeopardy! Contestant

Post by GhostStalker » Wed Apr 15, 2015 8:35 pm

goforthetie wrote:
econgator wrote: I have to wonder: how do you get epsilon and not upsilon?
Epsilon is a much more commonly used Greek letter, in my experience.
Yeah, I got epsilon since it's used as a variable in some higher math applications, but I blanked on the other two.

bpmod
Rank

Post by bpmod » Wed Apr 15, 2015 8:35 pm

floridagator wrote:... Becky just didn't have what it takes to beat Alex. Not knowing the Greek alphabet cost her
KazooJ!fan wrote:Becky gave Alex a run for his title. Too bad she got FJ wrong.
Not knowing the Greek alphabet and therefore getting FJ wrong cost Becky absolutely nothing.

Don't you guys know how Jeopardy! works?

Brian
...but the senator, while insisting he was not intoxicated, could not explain his nudity.

If I had 50 cents for every math question I got right, I'd have $6.30 by now.

floridagator
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by floridagator » Wed Apr 15, 2015 8:40 pm

bpmod wrote:
floridagator wrote:... Becky just didn't have what it takes to beat Alex. Not knowing the Greek alphabet cost her

Brian
You selectively quoted me to distort what I said. My statement was, "But Becky just didn't have what it takes to beat Alex. Not knowing the Greek alphabet cost her, not that it would have mattered anyway. "
I'd rather cuddle then have sex. If you're into grammar, you'll understand.

clprez

Post by clprez » Wed Apr 15, 2015 8:43 pm

Three games in a row where FJ! wanted two answers and I only knew one. I wonder if they're going to do this for the rest of the week.

Category 13
Wagering Viking

Phewww......

Post by Category 13 » Wed Apr 15, 2015 8:44 pm

Thank goodness Alex was able to come up with FJ on a game where he had to make a huge cover bet.
It seemed that Becky was really quick with the signaling device, or this board was not quite as easy for Alex as his first two games. If it was the latter, he was still able to out score Becky's 18,600, despite having only garnered $100 in DD money. Impressive.

4 for 5 in the Patriots category. Not being a Giants or Pats fan, I couldn't remember Bill Parcells in time. That was the only clue I 'missed'.
The clue about the Pats beating the Colts couldn't have been revealed more than a couple weeks after the actual game took place. I'm guessing this game was taped soon after the Super Bowl.

Hit Songs was a dud with all the 2014 answers under an easy top row clue from 1984. What was that all about?

cosmos

Post by cosmos » Wed Apr 15, 2015 8:52 pm

I got Sagan from "inspirational" before they showed his picture. Similar with "Hubble constant" where I didn't even know what he looked like. That's my wheelhouse category, compound words not so much. :)

Category 13
Wagering Viking

Post by Category 13 » Wed Apr 15, 2015 9:01 pm

The Talking Mime wrote:Anyone else weirded out about the Patriots category appearing the same day of Aaron Hernandez's guilty verdict?
Not really.
Bob78164 wrote:This game was a draw for the Weak Form of Shore's Conjecture. The second-place player bet "small." --Bob
She bet too small. Shorted herself $2299 had she won the game with a correct response.
Last edited by Category 13 on Wed Apr 15, 2015 10:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.

doihavetoreally

Post by doihavetoreally » Wed Apr 15, 2015 9:11 pm

Awful DJ round for me....hangover from the test from yesterday probably. Finally Alex had to get FJ and he does! Pretty much a lock for TOC. Suddenly we have multi-day winners (mostly) in recent times.

Missed on both the Pats category fun and wheelhouse - didn't click until I came here :|

I thought FJ was lazy on writers, got only epsilon. Now what? Name European countries that have longest and shortest names in English?
Good enough to lose on Jeopardy!

bpmod
Rank

Post by bpmod » Wed Apr 15, 2015 9:35 pm

floridagator wrote:
bpmod wrote:

Brian
You selectively quoted me to distort what I said. My statement was, "But Becky just didn't have what it takes to beat Alex. Not knowing the Greek alphabet cost her, not that it would have mattered anyway. "
OK. Forget about the part I quoted. What did it cost her?

Brian
...but the senator, while insisting he was not intoxicated, could not explain his nudity.

If I had 50 cents for every math question I got right, I'd have $6.30 by now.

Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Post by Bamaman » Wed Apr 15, 2015 9:45 pm

I knew all three, but wrote down epsilon and omicron. Mark is going to run out of room on his weekly poll asking us which ones we got right.

alietr
Site Admin

Post by alietr » Wed Apr 15, 2015 9:50 pm

OntarioQuizzer wrote: ... Boston will take umbrage to the shade thrown ...
I hope you realize what you did there.

whatisbishkek

Post by whatisbishkek » Wed Apr 15, 2015 10:29 pm

This doesn't really matter, but if upsilon didn't exist, lambda would be the third letter, so I wonder if Doug's "lamda" would have been accepted in that hypothetical scenario? I thought of the other two but not upsilon, and Alex's comment after Doug's response was revealed made me briefly wonder if lambda was correct and the spelling was the reason it wasn't accepted.

doihavetoreally

Post by doihavetoreally » Wed Apr 15, 2015 10:33 pm

Dr. J wrote:
One of the legacies of my sorority days is the fact that I can still recite the Greek alphabet very quickly (before a lit match burns out, actually), so that wasn't a toughie.
Show off :)

This reminds me - when Alex OMG did his Z to A yesterday, how would one know if he got it wrong unless you can do Z-A too. Pretty cool though.
Good enough to lose on Jeopardy!

JayK33
Just a Fan

Post by JayK33 » Wed Apr 15, 2015 10:34 pm

Congrats Alex!! A great win after the big loss from yesterday. Has he made any poker references yet? Like saying "I'm all in" for a TDD or something of the sort

thenextofken

Post by thenextofken » Wed Apr 15, 2015 10:36 pm

I'm surprised that no one has mentioned the triple stumper that made me laugh harder than anything else I've ever seen on Jeopardy!, and not because anyone did anything particularly bad. OMG, does anyone know what I mean?
No idea. Which one are you talking about?

cosmos

Post by cosmos » Wed Apr 15, 2015 10:36 pm

When spelled out as words in Greek, what are the longest English letters? :D

Somewhat related, the longest Roman numeral between I and C is LXXXVIII.