Wednesday, April 15, 2015 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

Archivists
Fan-created archive of games and players

Wednesday, April 15, 2015 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

Post by Archivists »

Game Recap for Show #7048, 2015-04-15

CONTESTANTS
Becky Hammer, an environmental lawyer from Alexandria, Virginia
Doug Butler, a graduate student in medieval history from Columbia, Missouri
Alex Jacob, a currency trader from Chicago, Illinois (whose 3-day cash winnings total $72,200)

OPENING REMARKS
Alex Trebek: Thank you, Johnny. Life is pretty good for Alex Jacob, ladies and gentlemen. He's engaged to be married to a beautiful young lady. He's won, as you just heard, $72,200 in just three appearances on Jeopardy! And in his two games this week, he has turned them into runaways. He could not be caught in Final Jeopardy! Will that hold true today, or will it change? Doug and Becky are going to have something to say about that. So, good luck to all three of you as we go into the Jeopardy! Round. And today you're dealing with these categories...

JEOPARDY! ROUND CATEGORIES
WOMEN ON A PEDESTAL (5/5)
RIVER BANK ON IT (5/5)
A MIXED BAG OF MIXED BAGS (5/5, including 1 correct Daily Double)
"UBE" JOB (4/5)
THE NEW ENGLAND PATRIOTS (5/5)
DIE FLEDERMAUS (4/4)

THE RIGHTS & THE WRONGS
Alex: 18 R (including 2 rebounds), 1 W
Becky: 7 R (including 1 rebound and 1 DD), 0 W
Doug: 3 R (including 1 rebound), 3 W

Clues revealed: 29
Triple Stumpers: 1
Jeopardy! Round Potential Lach Trash: $400

JEOPARDY! ROUND DAILY DOUBLE
Becky found the Daily Double on the 8th clue. Alex had $2,200, Doug was in the red with -$800, and Becky was at $1,800. Becky made it a True Daily Double, wagering $1,800.

A MIXED BAG OF MIXED BAGS $600: The subject of the cartoon seen here is one of these, named for his luggage

SCORES AT THE FIRST BREAK
Becky: $4,400
Alex: $2,800
Doug: $200

CONTESTANT INTERVIEWS

Alex Trebek: The times they are a-changing with regard to travel to Cuba. Becky Hammer, you were in Cuba about 10 years ago, and you got to enjoy--I use that word advisedly--a five-hour speech by...

Becky: By Fidel Castro. That's right. Um, I was there, as you said, in 2004, when it was still very difficult to travel. It's getting easier now. Um, but I was there studying abroad in college. And when we found out that Fidel would be making one of his epic speeches, uh, my classmates and I decided we couldn't pass up the chance, so we went. But we did tell everyone that we were Canadian so as to avoid any awkward situations.

Alex Trebek: Okay, good time, though, in Cuba?

Becky: It was wonderful.

Alex Trebek: All right, good.

Alex Trebek: Doug Butler, a graduate student in medieval history, and he's specializing in his studies, uh, with medieval history in Spain?

Doug: Yeah, yeah, Spain. I do 14th- and 15th-century Spain, especially looking at the relationship between Christians and Muslims at the time. Um, it was kind of the end of the Reconquest--Reconquista--so it's a fascinating period to look at, and the rise of Isabel and all that kind of stuff.

Alex Trebek: And of course, if you're in Spain, you have access to some of the great architectural masterpieces, the Alhambra among them.

Doug: Yeah, oh--it's beautiful. Yeah, Granada--it's a beautiful place.

Alex Trebek: Okay, good.

Alex Trebek: Alex Jacob is our champion. And he is not only competitive on this program, but he is competitive in poker and has played against some pretty famous people.

Alex Jacob: Yeah, well, uh, probably most of the famous professional players you've heard of, but, also, celebrities play a lot. I've played with Tobey Maguire one time. Um, Pete Sampras was a big thrill, 'cause he was always, uh--I was always a big of him, growing up.

Alex Trebek: Yeah, well, he's very competitive. Won all those championships. How was he at the poker table, though?

Alex Jacob: I--I didn't get to play with that long, but--

Alex Trebek: Risky?

Alex Jacob: No, he was keeping the cards close to the vest, as you might say.

Alex Trebek: Yeah? Okay. And Spider-Man--Tobey?

Alex Jacob: He's a--he was a little more risky, yeah. [Chuckles]

Alex Trebek: Okay. More chances.

TRIPLE STUMPERS IN THE JEOPARDY! ROUND
"UBE" JOB $400: A son of Jacob & a forefather of one of the tribes of Israel

SCORES AT THE END OF THE JEOPARDY! ROUND
Alex: $9,800
Becky: $5,600
Doug: $400
Archivists
Fan-created archive of games and players

Re: Wednesday, April 15, 2015 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

Post by Archivists »

DOUBLE JEOPARDY! ROUND CATEGORIES
ASTROPHYSICS WITH NEIL deGRASSE TYSON (4/4, including 1 correct Daily Double)
COMPOUND WORDS (3/5)
CHAPTER TITLES IN MOBY-DICK (4/4, including 1 correct Daily Double)
"IN" BUSINESS (1/4)
YES, PRIME MINISTER (5/5)
HIT SONGS (4/5)

THE RIGHTS & THE WRONGS
Becky: 10 R (including 1 DD), 1 W
Alex: 9 R (including 1 DD), 0 W
Doug: 2 R, 0 W

Clues revealed: 27
Triple Stumpers: 6
Double Jeopardy! Round Potential Lach Trash: $8,800

FIRST DOUBLE JEOPARDY! ROUND DAILY DOUBLE
Alex snagged the next Daily Double on the 10th clue. Alex had $13,800, Doug had $400, and Becky was at $11,600. Alex wagered $100.

CHAPTER TITLES IN MOBY-DICK $1600: Chapter 32:
This study of whales
(Alex Trebek: That's it. Don't be upset with yourself. You didn't know what the clue was going to be. Go again.)

SECOND DOUBLE JEOPARDY! ROUND DAILY DOUBLE
It was Becky who snatched up the last Daily Double of the game on the 13th clue. Alex had $13,900, Doug had $400, and Becky was at $12,000. Becky wagered $3,000.

ASTROPHYSICS WITH NEIL deGRASSE TYSON $1200: (Dr. Tyson delivers the clue.) I got my undergrad & graduate degrees at other Ivy League schools, but I did have the inspirational privilege of meeting this man who taught astronomy at Cornell for almost 3 decades

TRIPLE STUMPERS IN THE DOUBLE JEOPARDY! ROUND
HIT SONGS $1600: In 2014 Sir Mix-a-Lot admitted this singer-actress inspired "Baby Got Back"

COMPOUND WORDS $1200: A waitress at a drive-in restaurant

"IN" BUSINESS $1200: Governments encourage businesses to expand & hire with an ITC, this type of tax credit
(Becky: What is income?)

COMPOUND WORDS $2000: A ship's cockpit is this enclosed area on the bridge, from which the captain controls the vessel

"IN" BUSINESS $2000: (Kelly of the Clue Crew shows an animated map on the monitor.) A big U.S. company merges with a smaller foreign company then relocates its headquarters to that country in order to avoid some U.S. taxes in this controversial practice

"IN" BUSINESS $800: For Amalgamated Button, it means all their buttons or the buttons' value

SCORES ENTERING FINAL JEOPARDY!
Alex: $20,700
Becky: $18,600
Doug: $1,600

FINAL JEOPARDY! CATEGORY
THE GREEK ALPHABET

VENUSIAN MONOLOGUES/MARTIAN CHRONICLES
Four-fifths for first place. Shore's Conjecture.
Alex: Wager $16,501 to cover Becky, but no more than $17,499 so as not to fall behind Doug's doubled score. If you're a fan of shoretegic wagering, you might risk $13,301.
Becky: Since you're within 4/5ths of Alex's score, you should wager between $4,201 (venusian) and $14,400 (martian), beating Alex's maximum safe bet of the difference between your scores.
Doug: Too bad for you, Doug, your score is less than Alex's score minus Becky's score. Unless they both commit an egregious wagering error, you've no hope of moving into first place. Wager as much as you desire, but remember, you'll have better chances of advancing to second place if you have a larger sum left over on a Triple Stumper.

FINAL JEOPARDY! CLUE
When spelled out as words in English, 2 of the 3 longest Greek letters

FINAL SCORES
Doug: $1,600 - $1,500 = $100 (What is Lamda Omicron) (3rd place)
Becky: $18,600 - $2,101 = $16,499 (What are epsilon and omega) (2nd place)
Alex: $20,700 + $16,501 = $37,201 (What are Eps Epsilon and Omicron) (72201-day champion: $37,201)

Total Potential Lach Trash: $9,200

GAME DYNAMICS

CORYAT SCORES
Alex: $22,200, 27 R (including 1 DD), 1 W
Becky: $15,600, 17 R (including 2 DDs), 1 W
Doug: $1,600, 5 R, 3 W
Combined Coryat: $39,400

BATTING AVERAGES
Alex: 28/59 = .475
Becky: 17/60 = .283
Doug: 5/58 = .086
Team: 50/63 = .794

MISCELLANEOUS INTERESTING CLUES
WOMEN ON A PEDESTAL $800: D.C. is the suffragette city to see Stanton, Mott & this woman, carved from an 8-ton block of marble

WOMEN ON A PEDESTAL $600: In 1996, Hillary Clinton was in Riverside Park for the dedication of the monument of this fellow First Lady
(Doug: Who is Dolley Madison?)

WOMEN ON A PEDESTAL $1000: This Washington, D.C. university has a statue of a deaf girl, Alice Cogswell, sitting with the school's namesake

RIVER BANK ON IT $800: Cleopatra's Needle & Paul's Walk are on its north bank
(Doug: What is the Nile?)

RIVER BANK ON IT $600: To beat your feet on its mud, visit places on its bank like Davenport, Iowa
(Alex Jacob: What is Missouri?)

"UBE" JOB $800: This 19th century song composer's "Serenade" is heard here

"Leise flehen meine Liede..."

DIE FLEDERMAUS $800: The part of Prince Orlofsky is usually played by a woman in men's garb singing in this "middle" range
(Doug: What is contralto?)

DIE FLEDERMAUS $400: Calling it the king of all wines, a rousing song to this beverage ends Act II
(Alex Trebek: [*] is right, with a minute to go.)

WOMEN ON A PEDESTAL $400: Holding a propeller, she's immortalized in North Hollywood, California

WOMEN ON A PEDESTAL $200: It's no mystery--this novelist is honored in London's West End

THE NEW ENGLAND PATRIOTS $200: A sixth-round pick in the 2000 draft, this QB told owner Robert Kraft, "I'm the best decision" the team "ever made"
[The end-of-round signal sounds.]

YES, PRIME MINISTER $2000: This Yitzhak, who both followed & preceded Rabin in Israel, saw a lot in his 96 years

ASTROPHYSICS WITH NEIL deGRASSE TYSON $1600: (Dr. Tyson delivers the clue.) The existence on Earth of heavy elements like gold, silver & iron confirms that our solar system was formed from the debris of one of these enormous cataclysmic explosions

ASTROPHYSICS WITH NEIL deGRASSE TYSON $2000: (Dr. Tyson delivers the clue.) If you divide the velocity of galaxies receding from our Milky Way by their distance from us you get this "constant" named for an American astronomer that helps us to determine the 13.8-billion-year old age of the universe

CHAPTER TITLES IN MOBY-DICK $800: Chapter 14:
This Massachusetts island
(Alex Trebek: Correct with a minute to go.)

ASTROPHYSICS WITH NEIL deGRASSE TYSON $800: (Dr. Tyson delivers the clue.) We started getting hate mail at the Hayden Planetarium in 2001, 5 years before the official reclassification of Pluto to this 2-word status
[The end-of-round signal sounds.]

CORRECT RESPONSES
a carpetbagger
Reuben
Cetology
Carl Sagan
J.Lo (Jennifer Lopez)
carhop
investment
wheelhouse
inversion
inventory
(2 of) epsilon, upsilon & omicron
(Susan B.) Anthony
(Eleanor) Roosevelt
Gallaudet
the Thames
the Mississippi
(Franz) Schubert
mezzo-soprano
champagne
(Amelia) Earhart
(Agatha) Christie
Tom Brady
Shamir
supernova
Hubble
Nantucket
dwarf planet
jeff6286
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by jeff6286 »

The Greek Alphabet
When spelled out as words in English, 2 of the 3 longest Greek letters.

Spoiler
What are 2 of omicron, epsilon, upsilon? Doug said lambda omicron; Becky said epsilon and omega; Alex was correct with epsilon and omicron.

Alex Jacob: $20,700+$16,501=$37,201...now a 4-day champion with $109,401
Becky Hammer: $18,600-$2,101=$16,499
Doug Butler: $1,600-$1,500=$100
Last edited by jeff6286 on Wed Apr 15, 2015 8:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.
AndyTheQuizzer
Lots and Lots of Interviews

Post by AndyTheQuizzer »

Mad props to the writers for one of the better category puns I've seen in awhile...

Following NEW ENGLAND PATRIOTS with DIE FLEDERMAUS? (Deflator Mouse) :lol:

I'm sure someone in Boston will take umbrage to the shade thrown in that direction, though, on April 15...
Andy Saunders
J! Archive Founding Archivist
Publisher - The Jeopardy! Fan
floridagator

Post by floridagator »

An exciting game. But Becky just didn't have what it takes to beat Alex. Not knowing the Greek alphabet cost her, not that it would have mattered anyway. Me, I came up with all three 7-letter Greek letters immediately.

I was surprised that the NE Patriots category was really about football. I was expecting clues about Revere, etc.

Would judges have accepted my answer of placenta? Alex should have been BMSed for his answer of Roosevelt.
I'd rather cuddle then have sex. If you're into grammar, you'll understand.
grindcore
Some Guy

Post by grindcore »

Photo of Carl Sagan as a DD? The camera adds twenty years I guess, because surely that was one for a trio of eleven-year olds.
Linear Gnome
One Miner Gal

Post by Linear Gnome »

floridagator wrote:An exciting game. But Becky just didn't have what it takes to beat Alex. Not knowing the Greek alphabet cost her, not that it would have mattered anyway. Me, I came up with all three 7-letter Greek letters immediately.

I was surprised that the NE Patriots category was really about football. I was expecting clues about Revere, etc.

Would judges have accepted my answer of placenta? Alex should have been BMSed for his answer of Roosevelt.
I don't think the placenta can be described as a bag of waters.

I also got the Greek letters easily.

Becky put up a good fight.

I'm surprised that no one has mentioned the triple stumper that made me laugh harder than anything else I've ever seen on Jeopardy!, and not because anyone did anything particularly bad. OMG, does anyone know what I mean?
sbseagle

Post by sbseagle »

Ha! I remember wondering why he laughed at that one at taping. Now I know...
Abraxas

Post by Abraxas »

Congratulations, Alex, on another strong victory! I was somewhat surprised that you did not get the "wheelhouse" clue, as omgwheelhouse is your username. But I guess that Compound Words is not a wheelhouse category for you. I had 33 correct responses including four triple stumpers: carhop, inversion, wheelhouse, and inventory. I got FJ by guessing epsilon and omicron.
mfc248

Post by mfc248 »

grindcore wrote:Photo of Carl Sagan as a DD? The camera adds twenty years I guess, because surely that was one for a trio of eleven-year olds.
As Tyson began reading the clue, I thought for sure they were going for where Sagan taught. I was quite surprised that they gave out Cornell and just wanted his name.
Linear Gnome wrote:I don't think the placenta can be described as a bag of waters.

I also got the Greek letters easily.
I negged myself on placenta; a consultation with Wikipedia revealed it and the amniotic sac are distinct things.

On the other hand, I initially negged myself on "pilot-house" in compound words for $2000, but reversed it to correct after another look at Wikipedia. Thoughts?

I got all three Greek letters straight away. Are the two remaining Final clues this week also going to require two-part responses?
Fishercat

Post by Fishercat »

OntarioQuizzer wrote:Mad props to the writers for one of the better category puns I've seen in awhile...

Following NEW ENGLAND PATRIOTS with DIE FLEDERMAUS? (Deflator Mouse) :lol:

I'm sure someone in Boston will take umbrage to the shade thrown in that direction, though, on April 15...
As a Pats fan, I laughed my butt off
econgator
Let's Go Mets!

Post by econgator »

mfc248 wrote:On the other hand, I initially negged myself on "pilot-house" in compound words for $2000, but reversed it to correct after another look at Wikipedia. Thoughts?
They're identical.

I have to wonder: how do you get epsilon and not upsilon?
Robert K S
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by Robert K S »

OMG! Wheelhouse!

Can anyone identify the lyrics being sung in the Schubert tune?
StevenH
Not J! Contestant Material

Post by StevenH »

Congrats to Alex on another win! But you just had to make us sweat this time!

I had the same response as Becky on FJ, though I knew that "omega" couldn't be right. I never would have thought of upsilon.
KazooJ!fan
Valued Contributor

Post by KazooJ!fan »

Becky gave Alex a run for his title. Too bad she got FJ wrong.

I got it right-it helps that I live near a college (Western Michigan University) and occasionally on the news, I hear reports about fraternities-usually involving too much partying.

Ran "River Bank". Didn't do so well in "Moby-Dick", I never read that book.

We'll see if Alex can make it 5 days in a row tomorrow and guarantee a spot in the ToC.
goforthetie
(username no longer operative)

Post by goforthetie »

econgator wrote: I have to wonder: how do you get epsilon and not upsilon?
Epsilon is a much more commonly used Greek letter, in my experience.

Another coincidence in the J!-round: exuberance as a response in the "UBE" category, and then used in the clue for Gronk.
nightreign
#TeamAlsoRans

Post by nightreign »

goforthetie wrote:
econgator wrote: I have to wonder: how do you get epsilon and not upsilon?
Epsilon is a much more commonly used Greek letter, in my experience.

Another coincidence in the J!-round: exuberance as a response in the "UBE" category, and then used in the clue for Gronk.
Yeah, I know maybe half of the Greek letters, included among them Epsilon but not Upsilon.

I also laughed at "wheelhouse" and the deflate thing.

I was under the impression Alex would lose tonight, but I'm glad he didn't. I want to see him in the ToC.
The Talking Mime

Post by The Talking Mime »

Congrats to Alex for all but locking up a spot in the ToC! Also kudos for Becky for making him work for it. Poor Doug, meanwhile, got caught between two machines today.

Anyone else weirded out about the Patriots category appearing the same day of Aaron Hernandez's guilty verdict?

I don't know much about the Greek alphabet, but remembering fact that epsilon and upsilon sound similar helped make this an instaget for me. Also nice to see Alex finally get a two-part FJ.
"There is much pleasure to be gained from useless knowledge."
-Bertrand Russell
mxc_takeshi

Post by mxc_takeshi »

34 right.

Women (5), River (5), Mixed (3), "Ube" (4), Patriot (5), Die (0)
Tyson (2), Word (3), Moby (1), "In" (1), Yes (3), Hit (2)

Lach Trash: "carhop"

I came up with omicron and lambda quickly, but didn't think about one of the other two.
Bob78164
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by Bob78164 »

This game is a draw for the Weak Form of Shore's Conjecture. The second-place player bet "small." --Bob
Last edited by Bob78164 on Fri Jul 17, 2015 4:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.