Monday, April 20, 2015 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

ElendilPickle
ToC Enabler

Re: Monday, April 20, 2015 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

Post by ElendilPickle »

omgwheelhouse wrote:To everyone here rooting for me: thanks, it really means a lot. Sorry I let us down tonight
You have nothing to apologize for! Congratulations on a great run.
J.S. Pepys
Contributor

Post by J.S. Pepys »

thenextofken wrote:I was surprised they gave Alex that first DD since they were asking for the movie, and he gave them the book. While I realize the movie is embedded in the book title, I also seem to remember a game where they negged a player for saying Oliver Twist instead of Oliver!
My guess was The Grinch, and I was wondering if that would've been ruled incorrect. So I looked it up during a commercial break, and it turns out the movie was promoted for its theatrical release as The Grinch, but the official title was subsequently changed to Dr. Seuss' How the Grinch Stole Christmas.
MitchO
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by MitchO »

dhkendall wrote:
omgwheelhouse wrote:To everyone here rooting for me: thanks, it really means a lot. Sorry I let us down tonight
Echo ...
Echo x2. You let no one down.
bengland
Jeopardy! Toker

Post by bengland »

Excellent run Alex. My wife and I love your avatar picture. Is it real or photoshop?
Woppy T

Post by Woppy T »

MitchO wrote:
dhkendall wrote:
Echo ...
Echo x2. You let no one down.
x3. Awesome run.

And today's fj is another reason to hate Twitter.
9021amyers

Post by 9021amyers »

Good Final clue today. I love clues where there is an obvious, but incorrect, response, while the real answer requires a good bit of thinking.

My immediate thought was Twitter, but I knew that it had been founded well before 2010; my guess was Instagram, but wasn't at all confident of it until Alex confirmed it as the correct response.
alietr
Site Admin

Post by alietr »

Great run, Alex, and sorry it had to end. Trust me, a superchamp has let no one down.

Couldn't pull the name Instagram out even though I knew that it was right. Went with Snapchat only because I could think of it. I knew Twitter hadn't sold.

Can someone post Alex's TDD question? We had a weather interruption here. They cut to the weather, came back, and I looked at the scores and went "Holy Frijole!"
econgator
Let's Go Mets!

Post by econgator »

alietr wrote:Great run, Alex, and sorry it had to end. Trust me, a superchamp has let no one down.

Couldn't pull the name Instagram out even though I knew that it was right. Went with Snapchat only because I could think of it. I knew Twitter hadn't sold.

Can someone post Alex's TDD question? We had a weather interruption here. They cut to the weather, came back, and I looked at the scores and went "Holy Frijole!"
Basically, it was "This judicial capital's name means 'fountain of flowers'"
nlw44
Swimming in the Jeopardy! Pool

Post by nlw44 »

Golf wrote:
jjwaymee wrote:I had the same dilemma as Alex about Bangui. I had to pause an extra second to remember it was C.A.R and not Gambia (Banjul). Those two are easy to mix up.
I keep them straight by keeping the G's separate.

And yes, it was cities and not capitals. But the way the previous clues read it would be easy to anticipate a capital.
Also helps to keep in mind that the Ubangi river - anagram of Bangui - is in CAR - while the Gambia river is, duh, in Gambia. So if you come up with a Bangui vs Banjul dilemma, remember the rivers.
"And has thou slain the Jabberwock?
Come to my arms, my beamish boy!
O frabjous day! Callooh! Callay!"
He chortled in his joy.

Lewis Carroll, "Jabberwocky"
nlw44
Swimming in the Jeopardy! Pool

Post by nlw44 »

A game like this just emphasizes how truly amazing Ken Jennings' run was. You were super-dominant in every game, but it wasn't going to last forever. Did you think it might, and that is why you say you "let us down?"
"And has thou slain the Jabberwock?
Come to my arms, my beamish boy!
O frabjous day! Callooh! Callay!"
He chortled in his joy.

Lewis Carroll, "Jabberwocky"
WooWho?
Jeopardy! Almost-Champion

Post by WooWho? »

1 E & a 2 EE $200: I got so hung up over looking for a Japanese term with one E followed by two Es that "seaweed" flew completely over my head.

Anatomical Writing $1200: Thank you, Allen Ludden, for helping me get this right. Funny how I've seen "My Fair Lady" and completely forgot where that song came from.

FJ!: "Let's see, Twitter came along in 2006, Snapchat didn't sell for quite that much, what else is out there...could it be Instagram? What the hey, let's go with that."

What a cracking game. Alex, congratulations on a great run, and it's been a joy to watch you play. Can't wait for your triumphant return in the ToC.
アタックチャンス!
Volante
Harbinger of the Doomed Lemur

Post by Volante »

jjwaymee wrote:
Stanislaus Jacob wrote:
Golf wrote: You have no clue once again. If you've memorized every capital the clue is free money.
The category was just "Cities," not "Capitals." The city where Cecil Rhodes was buried was not a capital (although of course it was also part of the clue, not the desired response).
Nevertheless, it was a category with a limited number of potential responses. TDD in that situation was the right move by Alex.

I had the same dilemma as Alex about Bangui. I had to pause an extra second to remember it was C.A.R and not Gambia (Banjul). Those two are easy to mix up.
Golf: Of course, if he had memorized every capital, he would have gotten Bangui. Ergo, it's -not- free money.
Bangui's one of the capitals I've managed a mnemonic that sticks: car goes bang.

First thought of Pinterest, but then remembered Instagram and that Facebook bought them...denying myself an Insta-got pun.
The best thing that Neil Armstrong ever did, was to let us all imagine we were him.
Latest movies (1-10): WIthnail & I (7), An Autumn Afternoon (7), Europa Europa (7), Tampopo (9)
J.S. Pepys
Contributor

Post by J.S. Pepys »

bengland wrote:
Excellent run Alex. My wife and I love your avatar picture. Is it real or photoshop?
Seconding—I'd enjoy hearing the backstory on your avatar picture, Alex. I'm relatively new to JBoard and sometimes have a hard time matching avatar pics with usernames, but your dog picture has always made me smile when I see it.
whoisalexjacob
2015 TOC'er

Post by whoisalexjacob »

The photo is real, got the idea for it when the category came up awhile back
lisa0012

Post by lisa0012 »

omgwheelhouse wrote:The photo is real, got the idea for it when the category came up awhile back
Our dogs could be cousins. Mine seems to prefer reality tv though.

BigDaddyMatty
Hoping not to get pruney this time

Post by BigDaddyMatty »

Coryat: $26,400
39 R/5 W
DD: 3/3
FJ: Instagram Instaget
LT: Central African Republic, hand in hand

You have nothing to hang your head about, Alex. You were, and are, a fantastic champion. Best of luck in the ToC. I'll be rooting for you (and Kristin and Vaughn).

As for Alex's supposed hubris, he did manage to respond correctly on every single one of his TDDs, and he only went TDD about half the time. That sounds to me less like hubris and more like picking your spots.

I remember hearing tonight's FJ! almost verbatim when Facebook bought Instagram, so that was a freebie.
Sprinkles are for winners.
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

J.S. Pepys wrote:
thenextofken wrote:I was surprised they gave Alex that first DD since they were asking for the movie, and he gave them the book. While I realize the movie is embedded in the book title, I also seem to remember a game where they negged a player for saying Oliver Twist instead of Oliver!
My guess was The Grinch, and I was wondering if that would've been ruled incorrect. So I looked it up during a commercial break, and it turns out the movie was promoted for its theatrical release as The Grinch, but the official title was subsequently changed to Dr. Seuss' How the Grinch Stole Christmas.
If a clue wanted The Butler that title would be accepted without requiring "Lee Daniels'." Alex's response was fine.

In trying to hit the time machine back to high school world history I missed my stop by a bit and landed on guessing Montcalm for the Wolfe clue. :oops:

Last week I was looking for Empire,Cookie/Lucius Lyon in the online tests. A few days late. I wonder who the unrevealed femme fatale was we didn't see? My nod would go to Cersei Lannister.

If I was ranking the DJ! categories for likely DD category to least likely I would have had:

OH, B-CITY IN AFRICA
PROLOGUES
ANATOMICAL QUOTES
IT HAPPENED ONE NIGHT
WATER WORLD
TV FEMMES FATALES

with 2-5 fairly even in likelihood. I can see why it was more wide open for one of Alex's challengers to find one.

Credit to Todd for recognizing it was the time to take his one shot. The clue was a gift waiting for any of the three players. Todd found it and took advantage.

BUSINESS for the final category is like BUSINESS & HISTORY - It's been known to take down a superchamp. Monica almost made it a double get.

For me it was an insta-guess in writing Instagram immdiately for first instinct. In running social media sites I did not have all of the names that have come up in this thread occur to me to cut down on the distractors. Facebook and YouTube were no doubt out. At no point in 30 seconds did Twitter or Snapchat come to me to show how much it's not my best category.

I mentally considered Pinterest and Vine. Instagram seemed my best option and I got lucky. During think time for Alex he probably had a lot more to work out in the short time. Sometimes playing with a more limited range can be beneficial.

Alex found out his unlucky shirt that should not show up in the TOC. It would be great for a Pentecost service in churches that have members of the congregation wear red on that Sunday.
This Is Kirk!
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by This Is Kirk! »

I considered Instagram for FJ, but ultimately went with Pinterest. Oh well.

Great run by Alex. Looking forward to seeing you again in the ToC or elsewhere...
grnwaz
I'm Not an Android, But I Play One on TV

Post by grnwaz »

Congrats on a great run, Alex. Jeopardy! has been more must-see than usual in our house over the last week!
patkav
The Chicago Mauler

Post by patkav »

Great run, Alex. I'm sorry to see you go, but really looking forward to the ToC.