Monday, April 20, 2015 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

J.S. Pepys
Contributor

Re: Monday, April 20, 2015 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

Post by J.S. Pepys »

MarkBarrett wrote:
J.S. Pepys wrote:
thenextofken wrote:I was surprised they gave Alex that first DD since they were asking for the movie, and he gave them the book. While I realize the movie is embedded in the book title, I also seem to remember a game where they negged a player for saying Oliver Twist instead of Oliver!
My guess was The Grinch, and I was wondering if that would've been ruled incorrect. So I looked it up during a commercial break, and it turns out the movie was promoted for its theatrical release as The Grinch, but the official title was subsequently changed to Dr. Seuss' How the Grinch Stole Christmas.
If a clue wanted The Butler that title would be accepted without requiring "Lee Daniels'." Alex's response was fine.
Oh, I definitely agree. The only point I was trying to make was that both (a) Alex's response of How the Grinch Stole Christmas and (b) The Grinch would be technically correct, since both were apparently used for the 2000 movie title at different times.

bleezy
Valued Contributor

Post by bleezy »

There's only one way to pronounce potable, and that wasn't it.

I'm sad to see Alex go. I was surprised he missed a world capital, but I still think he may be one of the best players of all time, possibly BOTD semi-finalist material.

Ok, it obviously wasn't Twitter, because Twitter is a publicly traded company and wasn't sold to anyone. I thought it might have been Snapchat or Instagram; I wasn't sure. I'm actually shocked that Alex would guess Twitter considering that he is a currency trader and would likely be aware of very high profile IPOs.

oduguy22
Swimming with the Jeopardy! Fishes

Post by oduguy22 »

What a great run Alex, congrats! It was great watching your strategy the past seven games, i know you could've gone even further. See you in the TOC. That FJ I was thinking WhatsApp, for some reason Instagram seemed older than 2010 to me.

harrumph
Voyeur

Post by harrumph »

Did Omg set a record for most all-time TDDs?

With the amount of boardies it will have the next TOC will be a fun root.

Sage on the Hudson
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Like molasses in January, indeed

Post by Sage on the Hudson »

dhkendall wrote:Sorry to see you go, Alex. Unlike some people (well one person) here, I can see you played your last game with the same strategy as the rest. I learned a thing or two watching you, and I look forward to seeing you in the TOC!
I'm not sorry. Boy, was that guy irritating. His successs was remarkable for someone whose brain appears to operate so s-l-o-w-l-y...

MarkBarrett wrote:If a clue wanted The Butler that title would be accepted without requiring "Lee Daniels'." Alex's response was fine.
No, not really, if only because that title was the end result of legal obstinacy on the part of Warner Bros. that forbade that, or any other, film from being called, simply, "The Butler." Its full, official and only truly correct title is, therefore, "Lee Daniels's The Butler." A better analogy is required, then.

Lastly, Monica's response of "feet" to complet the quote "Lamp unto __________" was incorrect. The phrase is "unto my feet," and should have been disallowed (though these are the judges who think there such an expression as "coup de gras," so nothing surprises me about their imbecilic rulings at this point).

John Boy

Post by John Boy »

ElendilPickle wrote:
omgwheelhouse wrote:To everyone here rooting for me: thanks, it really means a lot. Sorry I let us down tonight
You have nothing to apologize for! Congratulations on a great run.
Amen. You acquitted yourself admirably and were a pleasure to watch. And whatever your reasons for the TDD, that made for great J!-watching.

Thanks, and I'll root for you in the ToC.

John Boy

Post by John Boy »

Golf wrote: For once you are dead on balls accurate, you are definitely a cock. :o
Really, dude? That is so unnecessary and so out of place here.

pastor_dave
Contributor

Post by pastor_dave »

Thanks, Alex, for a compelling 7 nights of Jeopardy. It is always fun to watch someone who has a plan of attack and implements it. Too many folks don't prepare for their once-in-a-lifetime opportunity. Not only did you excel, but you brought out the best in many of your opponents as they had to adjust their strategy and take chances to try to keep up with you. That made for great TV. It is extremely difficult to sustain a long run even with great skill in large part due to Finals like Monday's that are something of a crap shoot. Awesome job, and looking forward to the TOC!

Winchell Factor
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by Winchell Factor »

omgwheelhouse wrote:To everyone here rooting for me: thanks, it really means a lot. Sorry I let us down tonight
"Let us down"? That's crazy talk!

Everybody (except Brad Rutter, and I am told, also Michael McKean) loses Jeopardy! It took you a lot longer to do it than most. But more than that, you made the game interesting to watch, and I think that to the extent that there is "Jeopardy! history," you will have left your mark on it. You took some flak online for the way you played--all of which was kosher--but you faced it without pettiness, and with a sense of humor.

Admirably done, Alex!

nightreign
#TeamAlsoRans

Post by nightreign »

Even online, in the land of your haters, people were calling you the next Arthur Chu. And Arthur was the new Roger Craig, who was the new Chuck Forrest. Think for a second about where those guys finished in their ToCs.

But even if the ToC doesn't work out, I think almost everyone here appreciates how crazy hard it is to play Jeopardy! out under the lights. You utilized strategies most of us would never dare try. Even if you'd joined Team Also-Rans after last Friday, you wouldn't have let us down. You get nothing but respect from me.

irene
Valued Contributor

Post by irene »

Winchell Factor wrote:
... you made the game interesting to watch, and I think that to the extent that there is "Jeopardy! history," you will have left your mark on it.

Admirably done, Alex!
I loved watching your game play! So different than any other champion and I was hoping you would go on a run of epic proportions.
Oh well. :(

Edited to add: but you didn't let us down. 8-)
Last edited by irene on Tue Apr 21, 2015 8:54 am, edited 1 time in total.

Robert K S
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by Robert K S »

Didn't Ken Jennings get free FedEx and H&R Block for life, or something? Does Alex Jacob get free Instagram and Twitter for life?

Winchell Factor
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by Winchell Factor »

bleezy wrote:I'm actually shocked that Alex would guess Twitter considering that he is a currency trader and would likely be aware of very high profile IPOs.
You give a lot of responses over the course of 7 games. And if you give enough answers, eventually you're going to say something that you know isn't right--and know that you really, really ought to know--but you just can't conjure up the correct response.

alietr
Site Admin

Post by alietr »

3 for 7 on FJ, with 2 maybe-he'd-have-gotten-them-rights.

This Is Kirk!
Jeopardy! Champion

Re: Like molasses in January, indeed

Post by This Is Kirk! »

Sage on the Hudson wrote:
dhkendall wrote:Sorry to see you go, Alex. Unlike some people (well one person) here, I can see you played your last game with the same strategy as the rest. I learned a thing or two watching you, and I look forward to seeing you in the TOC!
I'm not sorry. Boy, was that guy irritating. His successs was remarkable for someone whose brain appears to operate so s-l-o-w-l-y...
I think you've got him pegged all wrong. Alex does not think slowly, he's just not at all impetuous.

legendneverdies

Post by legendneverdies »

econgator wrote:
jpr281 wrote:Surprised "Roosevelt" and "Adams" responses weren't asked to be more specific in the first round.
Adams I can slightly understand (they both probably lived in it simultaneously and I don't think it mentioned "while in office"), but Roosevelt?

Lucky guess on FJ. I considered that, Snapchat, and Pinterest. Instagram seemed the most likely.
JQ Adams was 33-34 years old when his dad lived in the White HOuse. Possible though. Roosevelt died in 1916, 23 years before FDR did his first TV appearance.

goatman
Man Who Stares At Goats!

Post by goatman »

Stanislaus Jacob wrote:
Golf wrote: You have no clue once again. If you've memorized every capital the clue is free money.
The category was just "Cities," not "Capitals." The city where Cecil Rhodes was buried was not a capital (although of course it was also part of the clue, not the desired response).
There's no need to be rude or insult Boardies, we are all learning, some faster than others. Please be kind, Golf! The city was TOM. The clue stated: 'Cecil Rhodes is buried near Bulawayo, in a country formerly named for him' >> Rhodesia = Zimbabwe. Capital Harare; FKA Salisbury. It is situated near Victoria Falls, in the Zambezi and Limpopo river drainage basins. This clue will likely appear again under a category National Parks with 'Park TOM,' since his tomb is in Matobo NP.

Rhodes' Tomb in Motobu NP, Zimbabwe:

Solid game for goats; 44R with 4 Lach trash, including:

LT: Fedora, "Hand in Hand to Hell", Bangui is capital of CAR, ranked among the ten poorest countries of the world, situated on the northern end of navigable portion of Ubangi River above Brazzaville, also given as "Congo-Brazzaville" clue for Republic of Congo in this game; General Wolfe at Plains of Abraham= Battle of Quebec vs. French General Montcalm (AT: offers reference); both died in the fracas, British victory led to the Anglicization of Canada following the 1763 Treaty of Paris ending the Seven Years' War (AKA French and Indian War in North America).

Do not confuse with 1775 American Revolutionary War Battle of Quebec, another British victory vs. Gens Montgomery & Arnold, and the 1783 Treaty of Paris ending the American Revolutionary War.

No get on Portuguese-named country with city 'Bo' = Sierra Leone. Perhaps with recent Ebola crisis they expected us to have heard of it? This was a very confusing clue, since Sierra Leone was a British colony and English the official language, although the name derives from Portuguese early exploration by Pedro de Sintra, who mapped Freetown Harbor and went on to 'discover' the Benin Empire.

Even MORE confusing is Benin Empire bears no relation to modern day Benin, which was formerly known as Dahomey! Benin Empire was absorbed by Niger; neighbor FKA Upper Volta became Burkina Faso. My Gawd, who can keep it all straight?!?

Above link goes to 'Shakespeare Last Words,' well worth a look; Richard III just keeps coming up over and over, an AT fav, worth knowing:
Slave, I have set my life upon a cast, And I will stand the hazard of the die: I think there be six Richmonds in the field; Five have I slain to-day instead of him. A horse! a horse! my kingdom for a horse!
- King Richard III, just before he engages in the fight with Richmond in which he dies. Allegedly, in 1485 he really said; "Treason! Treason!"

Let's to it pell-mell, If not to heaven, then hand in hand to hell!
- Richard III, Ian McKellen and Richard Loncraine movie adaptation, taken from Richard's speech earlier in the play.
Benjamin West; The Death of General Wolfe (Painting 1770; Battle 13 Sep 1759)
The corridors of my mind are plastered with 3M Post-It notes!

billiej

Post by billiej »

dhkendall wrote:
Echo what nextofken said, you didn't let us down, each and every person who plays loses eventually - unless you're a cyborg like Brad Rutter - you made it to super champ status. Also, as an occasional hobbyist online poker player who enjoys the sport, you taught me and America how to use poker techniques to win. I loved that.
^this^

J! has always been must see TV for me, but 95% of the time I'm watching just for the game, I don't give a $h!# who wins. But that other 5%, when someone plays well and gives me a reason to get excited and root for them (regardless of boardie status)...well, that's just icing on the cake! I audibly gasped at that second TDD, and was thrilled when you got it. And I swore when you lost. No, thank you for an exciting week.

And I've always been a big fan of your avatar (for obvious reasons), even more so now that I know it's real! :mrgreen:

opusthepenguin
The Best Darn Penguin on the Whole JBoard

Post by opusthepenguin »

Alex, great run. Truly impressive. I was looking forward to seeing the other 4 (or maybe 9) identical newly-purchased shirts. :D I think your play was as close to optimal as we're ever likely to see. Maybe Roger Craig was as proficient. And with a little more practice and time to reflect on his past games, Arthur Chu could have gotten there too. He was awful close. But you showed up fully formed from Game 1. You looked like a pro. Whatever you learned about shrewd play on your couch and at your laptop, you seemed to bring all of that to the podium. You made more right decisions in real time than I could have made with the benefit of a pause button. Other players--though not many, I suspect--have had a deeper or broader knowledge base. None have leveraged that knowledge base more effectively.

An earlier poster suggested that your mind worked slowly. I think that's an obvious misunderstanding. Your mind was working as deliberately and carefully as the time constraints allowed. I assume that's what was behind your tendency to pause for a moment before making many of your responses. Some of those pauses did make me wonder. Were you ringing in without quite knowing the correct response, but knowing that you knew? Or were you taking a moment to review and make sure you still liked the response you were thinking of when you rang in?

Mark B
Four-Time Swimmer in the Jeopardy! Pool

Post by Mark B »

Congrats OMG. I thought your game play was pitch perfect throughout your run. If you gotta go, this was the way to do it: in the lead after a great TDD, against two strong challengers, on an FJ that you just didn't know, after having qualified for the ToC. I had Snapchat, myself.
omgwheelhouse wrote:The photo is real, got the idea for it when the category came up awhile back
It is a great shot, but I humbly submit that you should change your avatar to a picture of a wheelhouse to honor the greatest coincidental clue I can remember on J! That the word wheelhouse not be in the wheelhouse of someone we know as omgwheelhouse? Astonishing! The archive shows no earlier occurrence of that word...