Monday, April 20, 2015 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

Volante
Harbinger of the Doomed Lemur

Re: Monday, April 20, 2015 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

Post by Volante »

TenPoundHammer wrote:Still unanswered:
[WLT sidewalks on Obesity for $200? There are lots of things that a town could be built without that might factor into obesity. I almost WAGged "parks".
Key word was 'suburb.' Cities get sidewalks. Suburbs you drive in and out of; nothing tends to be within walking distance anyway, so no sidewalks.
The best thing that Neil Armstrong ever did, was to let us all imagine we were him.
Latest movies (1-10): WIthnail & I (7), An Autumn Afternoon (7), Europa Europa (7), Tampopo (9)
TenPoundHammer

Post by TenPoundHammer »

Volante wrote:
[WLT sidewalks on Obesity for $200? There are lots of things that a town could be built without that might factor into obesity. I almost WAGged "parks".
Key word was 'suburb.' Cities get sidewalks. Suburbs you drive in and out of; nothing tends to be within walking distance anyway, so no sidewalks.
So total clue lockout for a country boy like me.
Volante
Harbinger of the Doomed Lemur

Post by Volante »

TenPoundHammer wrote:
Volante wrote:
Precalled that...
The best thing that Neil Armstrong ever did, was to let us all imagine we were him.
Latest movies (1-10): WIthnail & I (7), An Autumn Afternoon (7), Europa Europa (7), Tampopo (9)
BigDaddyMatty
Hoping not to get pruney this time

Re: Like molasses in January, indeed

Post by BigDaddyMatty »

Sage on the Hudson wrote:
MarkBarrett wrote:If a clue wanted The Butler that title would be accepted without requiring "Lee Daniels'." Alex's response was fine.
No, not really, if only because that title was the end result of legal obstinacy on the part of Warner Bros. that forbade that, or any other, film from being called, simply, "The Butler." Its full, official and only truly correct title is, therefore, "Lee Daniels's The Butler." A better analogy is required, then.
And yet, on yesterday's Daytime J!, The Butler was accepted as correct without any further comment or clarification. Mark's analogy was entirely appropriate.
Sprinkles are for winners.
debramc
Iced Mare Grub

Post by debramc »

TenPoundHammer wrote:
Volante wrote:
Plus there was something in there about strolling. Where do you stroll? The sidewalk. That's how I got it.
bpmod
Rank

Post by bpmod »

debramc wrote:
TenPoundHammer wrote:
Volante wrote:
Plus there was something in there about strolling. Where do you stroll? The sidewalk. That's how I got it.
Haven't you ever taken a stroll in the park?

Brian
...but the senator, while insisting he was not intoxicated, could not explain his nudity.

If I had 50 cents for every math question I got right, I'd have $6.30 by now.
BigDaddyMatty

Post by BigDaddyMatty »

Linear Gnome wrote:
BigDaddyMatty wrote: To put it another way, let's assume per the historical 50% FJ! get rate that each of the eight possible FJ! R/W outcomes is equally likely.
This is not a valid assumption because it does not take into consideration the fact that the events are not independent--there are many RRR's on easy clues and WWW's on hard clues. This is why the two most common outcomes almost every season are WWW and RRR (this season is a bit of an outlier with WWW far outpacing all others so far, followed by RWW). Look at the FJ! Round statistics on the archive for more details.
Good point. I don't know that it affects the overall analysis, but it's definitely a factor I neglected to consider.
Golf
Wet Paper Bag Charmer

Post by Golf »

John Boy wrote:Really, dude? That is so unnecessary and so out of place here.
It was low hanging fruit started by someone deserving of the rebuttal.

goatman wrote:There's no need to be rude or insult Boardies, we are all learning, some faster than others. Please be kind, Golf!
If it were literally any other boardie, I would not have responded in this way.

Honestly, I just need to add the poster to my ignore list. Certainly won't miss any discussion value. Update - just did so.

And I like the other mnemonics posted regarding Bangui and Banjui, that's what this board should be about!
bleezy
Valued Contributor

Post by bleezy »

The sidewalk clue isn't biased against anyone. I didn't live in a neighborhood with sidewalks until I was 28 (last year) and I got the clue instantly.

Edit: Buts parks is still an OK guess.
boson
Trivial

Post by boson »

dhkendall wrote:
harrumph wrote:
bleezy wrote:Great post goatman! Before wikipedia-ing Wolfe I thought the Plains of Abraham were somewhere in the Biblical world.
I knew about the Plains of Abraham from the song Acadian Driftwood by The Band
The Plains of Abraham is something like the Canadian Bunker Hill
When I was in Québec this summer, Lady Gaga was playing on the Plains of Abraham. Montcalm and Wolfe have been surpassed.
zakharov
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by zakharov »

"Parks" would have been reasonable, but it was wrong. Sidewalks are more associated with walking. It's in the name and everything. Not sure what you're looking for.
4-time pool swimmer - last audition June 2019
Follow me on Twitter @JakeMHS
Vermonter
2003 College Champion

Post by Vermonter »

Volante wrote:Bangui's one of the capitals I've managed a mnemonic that sticks: car goes bang.
When I was memorizing capitals at the not-hormonal age of 18, "bang in the car" was mine
Hate bad wagering? Me too. Join me at The Final Wager.
willwoodlen
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by willwoodlen »

Regarding the BMS discussion: if there are two very famous people with the same surname and the same line of work, the BMS instruction should always be given. Not so important if the two are very different, as in John and Liv Tyler or Warren and Tonya Harding. As others have pointed out, the problem is inconsistency over time. One of the worst BMS miscarriages (perhaps discussed at the time but I wasn't on the J board then) occurred when a contestant who'd been doing quite nicely answered "Who is Tallchief?" and Alex gave a BMS instruction. The contestant couldn't come up with "Maria," and she was negged, with AT providing a feeble justification based on Maria Tallchief's having a sister who, whatever her accomplishments, was ridiculously obscure. The incident seemed to take the wind out of the contestant, who, if I remember correctly, remained silent for the rest of the game. Given this example, insisting on a specific Adams or Roosevelt seems only fair.
opusthepenguin
The Best Darn Penguin on the Whole JBoard

Post by opusthepenguin »

debramc wrote:Plus there was something in there about strolling. Where do you stroll? The sidewalk. That's how I got it.
Can we at least agree that getting to the correct response was no walk in the park?
This Is Kirk!
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by This Is Kirk! »

zakharov wrote:
"Parks" would have been reasonable
I don't think it is. Are there really municipalities of a decent size (in the U.S.) that DON'T have parks?
BigDaddyMatty

Post by BigDaddyMatty »

Vermonter wrote:
Volante wrote:Bangui's one of the capitals I've managed a mnemonic that sticks: car goes bang.
When I was memorizing capitals at the not-hormonal age of 18, "bang in the car" was mine
Music fans of a certain age may appreciate my mnemonic for the other capital being discussed in this thread:
To the extreme, I rock The Gambia like a Banjul
Light up the stage and wax a chump like a candle
seaborgium
Undefeated in Reruns

Post by seaborgium »

I came up with the phrase "banned you from gambling" to keep Banjul with Gambia in my mind, and never had to do anything for Bangui and C.A.R.

It seemed to me like Alex had Bangui connected to a multi-word, geographically named African country, and just didn't pull up the right one. If he still would have gone TDD after getting that right, that's a $6,400 swing right there, but that still wouldn't have saved him, keeping the rest of the game the same.

Incidentally, I keep Equatorial Guinea connected with Malabo by going Malabo -> "middle of" -> equator, but I realized while writing this that "middle of" probably could steer someone wrongly to "central."
stephanie
Valued Contributor

Post by stephanie »

Was quite sad to see Alex's run end, but I'm glad he will make it into the TOC.
Spiny Norman wrote:Kudos to Alex on a great run that garnered a lot of attention for him and the show! I hope to meet him at O'Briens when he is back in the LA area for the ToC.

But I knew that he would lose when I saw his red shirt. Any long time tv viewer knows that red shirts get killed. Call it Roddenberry's Law since it happened so frequently on Star Trek.
So true, isn't it? I wonder what other (if any, I'm going to assume there have been a few) instances on Jeopardy! there have been where a player (esp. one who has won a game or two) suddenly wears a red shirt and loses. I'm curious. :)

(PS: OT: I like your avatar)
Not Jeopardy! material :(
whoisalexjacob
2015 TOC'er

Post by whoisalexjacob »

seaborgium wrote: It seemed to me like Alex had Bangui connected to a multi-word, geographically named African country, and just didn't pull up the right one.
Yep, I think you nailed it. Horrifying moment
seaborgium
Undefeated in Reruns

Post by seaborgium »

stephanie wrote:
Spiny Norman wrote:Kudos to Alex on a great run that garnered a lot of attention for him and the show! I hope to meet him at O'Briens when he is back in the LA area for the ToC.

But I knew that he would lose when I saw his red shirt. Any long time tv viewer knows that red shirts get killed. Call it Roddenberry's Law since it happened so frequently on Star Trek.
So true, isn't it? I wonder what other (if any, I'm going to assume there have been a few) instances on Jeopardy! there have been where a player (esp. one who has won a game or two) suddenly wears a red shirt and loses. I'm curious. :)

(PS: OT: I like your avatar)
I wore a red shirt in my ToC semifinal. I should have lost, for what it's worth. :)