An unintended (massive big honking) SPOILER (for Monday) in the Howdies

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, dhkendall, trainman, econgator

dhkendall
Pursuing the Dream

An unintended (massive big honking) SPOILER (for Monday) in the Howdies

Post by dhkendall » Mon Apr 20, 2015 3:08 pm

Looked at the Howdies this week. While they all seem pretty run of the mill, eagle eyed viewers may notice

(SPOILERED as well, just because)
SpoilerShow
There is another Alex on this list of Howdies, Alex Schraff, on Wednesday (or, rather "Wednesday" :) ). The recent Jeopardy Fan live panels alluded to this, but even if they hadn't, you'd know that two with the same name cannot face each other. Either they found a way around that too, or Mr. Jacob loses today or tomorrow.
"Jeopardy! is two parts luck and one part luck" - Me

"The way to win on Jeopardy is to be a rabidly curious, information-omnivorous person your entire life." - Ken Jennings

legendneverdies
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Re: An unintended (massive big honking) SPOILER in the Howdies

Post by legendneverdies » Mon Apr 20, 2015 3:25 pm

dhkendall wrote:Looked at the Howdies this week. While they all seem pretty run of the mill, eagle eyed viewers may notice

SpoilerShow
There is another Alex on this list of Howdies, Alex Schraff, on Wednesday (or, rather "Wednesday" :) ). The recent Jeopardy Fan live panels alluded to this, but even if they hadn't, you'd know that two with the same name cannot face each other. Either they found a way around that too, or Mr. Jacob loses today or tomorrow.
SpoilerShow
They could call one Alex J and one ALex S, or one Alexander and one Alex. In the 1985 TofC, Paul Crozier was called Ssgt. Paul since Paul Boymel was also in that TofC. The 1996 TofC finals called MIchael DUpee Mike and Michael Daunt Michael.

dhkendall
Pursuing the Dream

Post by dhkendall » Mon Apr 20, 2015 3:39 pm

legendneverdies wrote:
dhkendall wrote:Looked at the Howdies this week. While they all seem pretty run of the mill, eagle eyed viewers may notice

SpoilerShow
SpoilerShow
They could call one Alex J and one ALex S, or one Alexander and one Alex. In the 1985 TofC, Paul Crozier was called Ssgt. Paul since Paul Boymel was also in that TofC. The 1996 TofC finals called MIchael DUpee Mike and Michael Daunt Michael.
SpoilerShow
Somehow I doubt it. If the other Alex had to go by, say, Alexander, then his Howdy would most likely be under Alexander Schraff. Plus, my spidey sense tells me that the fact that J!'s YouTube channel posted two videos tributing Alex Jacobs tells me that his last day might very well be today.

"The way to win on Jeopardy is to be a rabidly curious, information-omnivorous person your entire life." - Ken Jennings

BobF

Post by BobF » Mon Apr 20, 2015 3:39 pm

As others (Kristin S. in particular) have pointed out, the dates are not 100% accurate.
Was once hugged by Maggie Speak!

dhkendall
Pursuing the Dream

Post by dhkendall » Mon Apr 20, 2015 3:43 pm

BobF wrote:As others (Kristin S. in particular) have pointed out, the dates are not 100% accurate.
Hence my parenthetical comment of "Wednesday" :) Regardless of the day, he'll be on this week.

Leaper
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by Leaper » Mon Apr 20, 2015 4:17 pm

I could swear I vaguely remember a time when it did happen, and they just did what legendneverdies suggested. I can't remember the name or other circumstances, though.

kristinsausville
2015 TOC'er

Post by kristinsausville » Mon Apr 20, 2015 4:35 pm

legendneverdies wrote:

SpoilerShow
SpoilerShow
SpoilerShow
I think this actually is notable. It's my understanding that Alex Schraff was left over from the previous tape day when he insisted on not going by any name other than Alex. (Hard to blame him!)
Follow me on Twitter: @ksausville

thejeopardyfan
(Unranked)

Post by thejeopardyfan » Mon Apr 20, 2015 6:23 pm

SpoilerShow
Maybe they should've posted the Howdies after today's episode! :D Thanks for the tip, David.

Stanislaus Jacob

Post by Stanislaus Jacob » Mon Apr 20, 2015 8:01 pm

While this has proved true and no longer needs to be spoiled, Alex J. certainly had the skills to have potentially continued his streak through the whole week. What would have happened to Alex S. then? (Of course, when Alex S. first got the call, there was no way of knowing that Alex J. would win any games at all. Still, it seems safer to avoid having same-named people ever appear in consecutive weeks.)

dhkendall
Pursuing the Dream

Post by dhkendall » Mon Apr 20, 2015 9:11 pm

Stanislaus Jacob wrote:While this has proved true and no longer needs to be spoiled, Alex J. certainly had the skills to have potentially continued his streak through the whole week. What would have happened to Alex S. then? (Of course, when Alex S. first got the call, there was no way of knowing that Alex J. would win any games at all. Still, it seems safer to avoid having same-named people ever appear in consecutive weeks.)
According to a couple of the recent live chats in thejeopardyfan.com (one of which had Scott and Nikhil from Friday) Alex S. was deferred from last week because of his name and he didn't provide an alternate name to play under

Winchell Factor
Jeopardy! Champion

Re: An unintended (massive big honking) SPOILER (for Monday) in the Howdies

Post by Winchell Factor » Mon Apr 20, 2015 11:10 pm

Why on earth would you ever play under a name that you don't use every day? I mean, the host calls you by name to recognize you.

Why would you ever think it was a good idea to say, "Well, I've been known as 'Alex' all my life, but sure, today, during my once-in-a-lifetime chance to play Jeopardy!, I'll keep my mouth shut when I hear 'Alex' and answer when I hear 'Sandy'"?

MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett » Mon Apr 20, 2015 11:36 pm

Winchell Factor wrote:Why on earth would you ever play under a name that you don't use every day? I mean, the host calls you by name to recognize you.

Why would you ever think it was a good idea to say, "Well, I've been known as 'Alex' all my life, but sure, today, during my once-in-a-lifetime chance to play Jeopardy!, I'll keep my mouth shut when I hear 'Alex' and answer when I hear 'Sandy'"?
Alex S. cannot be blamed for having no nickname with the possibility of playing Alex J. staring at him. The powers found themselves in an unusual position for game 5 of the day. Scott and Alex J. knew each other from online trivia games, there were two players named Alex and some woman had missed a connecting flight was told she would not be playing that day.

Nikhil had no out so he was in the Friday game for sure.

S&P made the call that Scott would play. In previous seasons it was Sven/Pastor Dave & Vijay/Robert KS who had the outside previous trivia connections not allowed to play each other.

Perhaps the powers could have designated Alex J. as "Champ?" and let Alex S. be Alex? It's done now. I'm curious if the woman who did not play is on this week. Anyone know? And if so, any more info on her flight story?

floridagator

Post by floridagator » Tue Apr 21, 2015 12:21 am

This whole thread reminds me of the making of the film Somewhere in Time. Both Christopher Reeve and Christopher Plummer answered to Chris, so the director took to calling them Mr. Reeve and Mr. Plummer, contrary to usual industry practice.
I'd rather cuddle then have sex. If you're into grammar, you'll understand.

bleezy
Valued Contributor

Post by bleezy » Tue Apr 21, 2015 2:06 am

I would just like to point out that this thread title is actually a spoiler, because the only spoiler that the howdies could contain is
SpoilerShow
the champion losing

Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Post by Bamaman » Tue Apr 21, 2015 2:50 pm

bleezy wrote:I would just like to point out that this thread title is actually a spoiler, because the only spoiler that the howdies could contain is
SpoilerShow
the champion losing
I agree. This is twice now a game has been spoiled by someone posting a thread about the Howdies saying there is a spoiler.

Maybe we should have one long continuous thread where the Howdies are posted every week, along with any comments people wish to make. That way, if there is a spoiler, we won't have some new thread hitting us in the face saying "SPOILER ON HOMETOWN HOWDIES!!!!!" Any spoiling would be in a thread that is ongoing.

dhkendall
Pursuing the Dream

Post by dhkendall » Tue Apr 21, 2015 3:16 pm

Bamaman wrote:
bleezy wrote:I would just like to point out that this thread title is actually a spoiler, because the only spoiler that the howdies could contain is
SpoilerShow
the champion losing
I agree. This is twice now a game has been spoiled by someone posting a thread about the Howdies saying there is a spoiler.

Maybe we should have one long continuous thread where the Howdies are posted every week, along with any comments people wish to make. That way, if there is a spoiler, we won't have some new thread hitting us in the face saying "SPOILER ON HOMETOWN HOWDIES!!!!!" Any spoiling would be in a thread that is ongoing.
That's actually a great idea! I agree!

alietr
Site Admin

Post by alietr » Tue Apr 21, 2015 3:31 pm

That wouldn't work well either. If you saw that thread bumped, you would conclude that there's a new spoiler.

It seems pretty clear that if you want to avoid spoilers, stay away from the Howdies. And maybe we need to not mention them on here at all.

BobF

Post by BobF » Tue Apr 21, 2015 3:39 pm

alietr wrote:That wouldn't work well either. If you saw that thread bumped, you would conclude that there's a new spoiler.

It seems pretty clear that if you want to avoid spoilers, stay away from the Howdies. And maybe we need to not mention them on here at all.
Pin it?
Was once hugged by Maggie Speak!

alietr
Site Admin

Post by alietr » Tue Apr 21, 2015 3:56 pm

BobF wrote:
alietr wrote:That wouldn't work well either. If you saw that thread bumped, you would conclude that there's a new spoiler.

Pin it?
No. Not important enough to have at the top all the time.

thejeopardyfan
(Unranked)

Post by thejeopardyfan » Tue Apr 21, 2015 5:21 pm

Thanks for not doing that. I for one wouldn't have seen it in such a thread. :)