Thursday, April 23, 2015 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

Archivists
Fan-created archive of games and players

Thursday, April 23, 2015 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

Post by Archivists »

Game Recap for Show #7054, 2015-04-23

CONTESTANTS
Greg Seroka, a chef from Steamboat Springs, Colorado
Ellen Burgett, a technical writer from Brighton, Michigan
Michael Brady, a user experience designer from Norwood, Massachusetts (whose 2-day cash winnings total $33,602)

OPENING REMARKS
Alex: Thanks, Johnny. Thank you, ladies and gentlemen. Our champion, Michael, has been with us for two days now, and yet every time he opens his mouth to say something, I must admit I am a little bit surprised by his delightful and subtle accent. The man from Massachusetts. Ellen and Greg, good to have you with us today, and good luck to all three of you. Let's get going now in the Jeopardy! Round. And here are the categories...

JEOPARDY! ROUND CATEGORIES
IN THE PANTHEON (5/5)
AIRPORTS (5/5)
PLEASED TO MEAT YOU (5/5)
SCIENCE TERMS IN FRENCH (4/5, including 1 missed Daily Double)
5-LETTER "W"ORDS (5/5)
I'M ALL ABOUT THAT BASSIST (5/5)

THE RIGHTS & THE WRONGS
Greg: 15 R (including 1 rebound), 0 W
Michael: 9 R, 1 W
Ellen: 5 R, 1 W (including 1 DD)

Clues revealed: 30
Triple Stumpers: 0
Jeopardy! Round Potential Lach Trash: $0

SCORES AT THE FIRST BREAK
Greg: $4,200
Michael: $2,200
Ellen: $1,600

CONTESTANT INTERVIEWS

Alex: Greg Seroka wanted to be a lawyer,but he wound up a chef. What happened?

Greg: It's true. Well, I was going to go to law school, and I ended up working for a lawyer, realizing what they actually do. Now I'm a cook.

Alex: And what's special about being a chef?

Greg: The way no two days are the same. It's different every single day. It's a great challenge.

Alex: Are you called upon to create new menus on a weekly basis?

Greg: We do specials every day. Yeah. It's a lot of fun, very creative.

Alex: Yeah, you get to exercise your imagination.

Greg: Yes.

Alex: And you get to enjoy good food.

Greg: It's true.

Alex: All right, Ellen... "BURG-it"?

Ellen: "bur-GETT".

Alex: Burgett--from Brighton, Michigan, is a woman who volunteers as something that I kind of thought we had seen the last of many years ago, but it's not true at all. You are a...?

Ellen: Bell-ringer.

Alex: For the Salvation Army.

Ellen: For the Salvation Army.

Alex: They're still going strong.

Ellen: Oh, yes. Oh, yes. I've done it for a couple of years now. Uh, I whistle while I ring the bell.

Alex: Are you in costume--in the Salvation Army costume?

Ellen: No, no, I'm from Michigan, so I am bundled up in the month of December.

Alex: Many layers.

Ellen: Yes, many, many layers.

Alex: Well, good for you.

Ellen: Thank you.

Alex: It's good that you do that.

Alex: Michael Brady, folks, is our champion, but his home was built way back in the late 1800s as a church?

Michael: That's right, yeah. It was a Lutheran church, uh, for many decades. And then in the 1970s, a group of Jains bought it and turned it into a temple. And so it's only been a single-family home for about two years.

Alex: I see. And there--there's no aura of whatever...?

Michael: Hopefully, it's all very good karma. We want it to be a good place to hang out.

Alex: Okay. That's good to know.

JEOPARDY! ROUND DAILY DOUBLE
Ellen found the Daily Double on the 20th clue. Michael had $2,200, Ellen had $2,200, and Greg was at $5,000. Ellen made it a True Daily Double, wagering $2,200.

SCIENCE TERMS IN FRENCH $800: In chemistry, "une liason" is one of these, perhaps "ionique"
(Ellen: What is a chemical reaction?)

SCORES AT THE END OF THE JEOPARDY! ROUND
Greg: $9,400
Michael: $4,000
Ellen: $600
Archivists
Fan-created archive of games and players

Re: Thursday, April 23, 2015 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

Post by Archivists »

DOUBLE JEOPARDY! ROUND CATEGORIES
IN THE PANTHEON (4/5) (Alex: Once again, you are [*], but this time, each correct response will be made up of letters in the word "pantheon" itself.)
THE CALENDAR (2/5, including 1 correct Daily Double)
MOVIE & TV TERMS (4/5)
BOLIVIA YOU ME (4/5)
NONFICTION (4/5, including 1 missed Daily Double)
THE LAST TIME THE CUBS WON THE WORLD SERIES (5/5) (Alex: No one is alive to remember that, I think.)

THE RIGHTS & THE WRONGS
Greg: 10 R, 1 W
Michael: 10 R (including 1 rebound and 1 DD), 2 W (including 1 DD)
Ellen: 3 R (including 1 rebound), 3 W

Clues revealed: 30
Triple Stumpers: 6
Double Jeopardy! Round Potential Lach Trash: $10,000

FIRST DOUBLE JEOPARDY! ROUND DAILY DOUBLE
Michael snagged the next Daily Double on the 11th clue. Michael had $6,800, Ellen had $200, and Greg was at $11,800. Michael wagered $2,000.

NONFICTION $2000: This critically acclaimed 2001 book begins with a look at "The Founding Fathers", starting with Carl Karcher
(Michael: What is The Greatest Generation?)
(Alex: No. Carl Karcher is the founder of Carl's Jr., and the book is [*].)

SECOND DOUBLE JEOPARDY! ROUND DAILY DOUBLE
It was Michael who snatched up the last Daily Double of the game on the 23rd clue. Michael had $10,000, Ellen was in the red with -$1,800, and Greg was at $17,000. Michael wagered $1,500.

THE CALENDAR $1200: Dec. 21, 2012 was in the news as the end of a calendar cycle for this ancient Native American people

TRIPLE STUMPERS IN THE DOUBLE JEOPARDY! ROUND
MOVIE & TV TERMS $2000: (Kelly of the Clue Crew shows an animation on the monitor.) The name of this diaphragm in a camera lens can be found in film techniques; when used before the word "in", it can open a scene, & before the word "out", it can close a scene
(Ellen: What is zoom?)

BOLIVIA YOU ME $2000: On Bolivia's coat of arms, one of these large birds perches atop an Incan shield
(Ellen: What's a phoenix?)

THE CALENDAR $400: This many months have 31 days

THE CALENDAR $1600: The Jewish year periodically has not a leap day but a leap month & this dress-up holiday moves from Adar to Adar Bet

THE CALENDAR $2000: From the French for "seed", it's a Zola novel title & was the 7th month of the French Revolutionary calendar

IN THE PANTHEON $2000: Projection inserted into a mortise
(Ellen: What's a tendon?)
(Alex: Oh, Ellen, you were so close.)

SCORES ENTERING FINAL JEOPARDY!
Greg: $17,400
Michael: $12,700
Ellen: -$2,600

FINAL JEOPARDY! CATEGORY
ART IN THE CITY

VENUSIAN MONOLOGUES/MARTIAN CHRONICLES
Two-thirds for first place.
Greg: Wager $8,001 to cover Michael.
Michael: Risk between $0 and $3,300.

FINAL JEOPARDY! CLUE
German city where you'll find the statue seen here

FINAL SCORES
Michael: $12,700 + $1,000 = $13,700 (What is Hamlin?) (2nd place)
Greg: $17,400 + $8,001 = $25,401 (What is Hamelin) (New champion: $25,401)
(Alex: [To Michael] "The Pied Piper of [*]".)

Total Potential Lach Trash: $10,000

GAME DYNAMICS

CORYAT SCORES
Greg: $17,400, 25 R, 1 W
Michael: $14,400, 19 R (including 1 DD), 3 W (including 1 DD)
Ellen: -$400, 8 R, 4 W (including 1 DD)
Combined Coryat: $31,400

BATTING AVERAGES
Greg: 26/58 = .448
Michael: 20/60 = .333
Ellen: 8/59 = .136
Team: 54/63 = .857

MISCELLANEOUS INTERESTING CLUES
I'M ALL ABOUT THAT BASSIST $200: He's a singer, a bassist, &, as of 2014, Broadway composer with "The Last Ship"

5-LETTER "W"ORDS $1000: To shrink in pain
(Michael: What is writhe?)

5-LETTER "W"ORDS $600: Structure built for moorage
(Alex: It sounds like I'm making fun of you, I know. I'm just enjoying the accent.)
(Michael: I'm used to it.)
(Alex: I'm enjoying it.)

IN THE PANTHEON $600: Here's a statue of this influential Greek god; that thing he's holding is a lyre

MOVIE & TV TERMS $1200: Film critic Andrew sarris coined this French term for a theory that says the director is the major creative force in a film
(Greg: What is [*] theory?)

MOVIE & TV TERMS $1600: As opposed to traditional live-audience sitcoms, shows like "30 Rock" are this-camera, more like movies
(Greg: What is multi-camera?)

THE LAST TIME THE CUBS WON THE WORLD SERIES $800: This man was gearing up to win the presidential election

THE LAST TIME THE CUBS WON THE WORLD SERIES $1600: Some people were tooling about in a luxurious touring car made by this company--one of the three P's
(Alex: That's one of them. Yes.)

IN THE PANTHEON $1200: An unskilled drudge
(Michael: What is a... thug?)

CORRECT RESPONSES
a bond
Fast Food Nation
the Mayans
iris
an Andean Condor
Purim
Germinal
a tenon
Hamelin
Sting
wince
wharf
Apollo
auteur
single-camera
Taft
Packard
a peon
jeff6286
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by jeff6286 »

Art in the City
German City where you'll find the statue seen here.

FJ042315.jpg
FJ042315.jpg (97.16 KiB) Viewed 5900 times
Spoiler
What is Hamelin?

Greg Seroka: $17,400+$8,001=$25,401...now a 1-day champion with $25,401
Michael Brady: $12,700+$1,000=$13,700
Ellen Burgett: (-$2,600)
Last edited by jeff6286 on Thu Apr 23, 2015 9:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.
floridagator

Post by floridagator »

A hot, competitive game. Michael's FJ wager made absolutely no sense. Ellen made three guesses (two wild, one only slightly off) at $2000 clues, so she was lucky to finish only as far in the red as she did. However were we supposed to get Heathrow from that clue? I simply guessed the largest London airport, as I'm assuming many did, but I have no idea the dates each of the London airports were established.

Me, I got TSs bond and 7. I thought of Purim but didn't say it, and I spelled Hamelin correctly. Do you suppose judges would have accepted pogo for corn dog? It's what they're called in Quebec.
I'd rather cuddle then have sex. If you're into grammar, you'll understand.
dhkendall
Pursuing the Dream

Post by dhkendall »

FJ had me saying "oh great, this is going to be a toughie. How on earth am I supposed to guess a German city based on someone playing what looks like a pipe - oh! Hamelin!"
floridagator wrote:However were we supposed to get Heathrow from that clue? I simply guessed the largest London airport, as I'm assuming many did, but I have no idea the dates each of the London airports were established.
For a top row clue, guessing the largest London airport (in my case, the only London airport I could think of) is the best way to go.
floridagator wrote:Do you suppose judges would have accepted pogo for corn dog? It's what they're called in Quebec.
Rest of Canada too (didn't you say you have some connection to Winnipeg? I'm sure I've seen "pogo" here as well, although "corndog" is definitely not unheard of and it's what I answered.)
"Jeopardy! is two parts luck and one part luck" - Me

"The way to win on Jeopardy is to be a rabidly curious, information-omnivorous person your entire life." - Ken Jennings

Follow my progress game by game since 2012
Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Post by Bamaman »

floridagator wrote:A hot, competitive game. Michael's FJ wager made absolutely no sense.
What was wrong with it? If he is wrong, he stays above Greg's MSBIW score and wins if they both miss it.

Spoiler from yesterday's show.
Spoiler
Yesterday, he had a lock and could have safely bet up to $3,999. He only bet $1 with the category "American Poetry". So I'm guessing the arts in general aren't his strong suit, though he got both of them right and were both pretty easy.
However were we supposed to get Heathrow from that clue? I simply guessed the largest London airport, as I'm assuming many did, but I have no idea the dates each of the London airports were established.
What David said. I didn't know when it opened but if the answer had been "An airport in London not named Heathrow", I would have been stumped. Don't overthink these things.

I groaned when I saw the category and groaned again when I saw it was going to be a video FJ. Luckily, it was pretty simple.
Roadgeek Adam
TOC Geek

Post by Roadgeek Adam »

Is that the first time they've done a split screen "We'll be back with FJ right after this?". Usually they show it with the open podium.
Adam Seth Moss
DoorDasher (since May 7, 2020)
M.A. History, Western Illinois Univ, 2017
B.A. History (minors in PoliSci & PubAdm), Montclair State Univ, 2015
A.A. History & Education, Middlesex County Coll., 2013
TenPoundHammer

Post by TenPoundHammer »

Lach Trash: Iris.

Ran Meat and 5 Letter "W"ords, all but "bond" in Science in French and all but "auteur" in Movie and TV Terms.

I knew the name Carl Karcher, but having NHO Fast Food Nation, I didn't get it.

WLT Catholicism on Bolivia for $400?

"30 days have September, April, June, and November, Okay that means 8. Whoops." That's a real "think on your feet" clue that requires far more cereberal agility than necessary for $400.

I thought "In the Pantheon" in DJ! got tough fast. Mortise? Peon?! Wha?!?

No guess on FJ! NHO Hamelin. Surprised this was a double-get and had Alex calling it a piece of cake.
econgator
Let's Go Mets!

Post by econgator »

Bamaman wrote:
However were we supposed to get Heathrow from that clue? I simply guessed the largest London airport, as I'm assuming many did, but I have no idea the dates each of the London airports were established.
What David said. I didn't know when it opened but if the answer had been "An airport in London not named Heathrow", I would have been stumped. Don't overthink these things.
Basically, yeah.

If it's not Heathrow, it's Gatwick. Those two do about 80% of London's air traffic (the other three are London Stanstead, London Luton, and London City).
econgator
Let's Go Mets!

Post by econgator »

TenPoundHammer wrote:No guess on FJ! NHO Hamelin. Surprised this was a double-get and had Alex calling it a piece of cake.
The Pied Piper of Hamelin makes it about as insta as insta-gets.
Abraxas

Post by Abraxas »

This was an excellent game between Greg and defending champ Michael, with Greg prevailing. Ellen missed her true Daily Double and went back to zero, and didn't do much after that. I had 34 correct responses including the triple stumper of 7 months. I also got the missed DD of bond. Didn't get FJ; I didn't even think of the Pied Piper.
Last edited by Abraxas on Thu Apr 23, 2015 7:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.
TenPoundHammer

Post by TenPoundHammer »

econgator wrote:
TenPoundHammer wrote:No guess on FJ! NHO Hamelin. Surprised this was a double-get and had Alex calling it a piece of cake.
The Pied Piper of Hamelin makes it about as insta as insta-gets.
I was familiar with the legend, but never knew the "of Hamelin" part.
ACW

Post by ACW »

econgator wrote:
Bamaman wrote:
Basically, yeah.

If it's not Heathrow, it's Gatwick. Those two do about 80% of London's air traffic (the other three are London Stanstead, London Luton, and London City).
Never even HEARD of Gatwick. And London City? As opposed to...London county (only being half-facetious)?
Dr. J
Decade Battler and Mustache Maker

Post by Dr. J »

Hubs and I both got FJ right away, and hubs pointed out that this was a good time to spell it Hamlin instead of Hamelin if you were the least bit unsure. If it was actually spelled Hamlin, they probably wouldn't accept Hamelin as a correct answer.
mrparadise

Post by mrparadise »

For me it was between Hamlin and Hamblin. Not sure where that stray b came from but I had it about 50-50. Went with the former thinking an omission might be excused before an addition.
OSXpert

Post by OSXpert »

I had a brain fart and said "The pied piper of Hamilton, right?"
Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Post by Bamaman »

mrparadise wrote:For me it was between Hamlin and Hamblin. Not sure where that stray b came from but I had it about 50-50. Went with the former thinking an omission might be excused before an addition.
I felt there was some letter between the m and the l, but I wasn't sure what it was and I have always heard the town pronounced with that letter silent.
Category 13
Wagering Viking

Post by Category 13 »

Bamaman wrote:
floridagator wrote:Michael's FJ wager made absolutely no sense.
What was wrong with it? If he is wrong, he stays above Greg's MSBIW score and wins if they both miss it.

Spoiler from yesterday's show.
Spoiler
Yesterday, he had a lock and could have safely bet up to $3,999. He only bet $1 with the category "American Poetry". So I'm guessing the arts in general aren't his strong suit, though he got both of them right and were both pretty easy.
I believe the quote was: it made no sense. Just like adding $1 to his DD bet in Tuesday's game.
What was wrong with it is if he didn't want to upstage a $zero wager by Greg, he could have bet $3300 and still not fallen below Greg's MSBIW.
Outside of betting from the lead in FJ, I don't think Michael gave much thought to wagering strategy.
BADuBois
Jeopardy! Champion... It's a Mystery!

Post by BADuBois »

Fun game, though I blanked on most of the French scientific terms.

I was a bit fearful of FJ until I saw the pied piper, and it was pretty Instaget.

FJ wagering by the returning champ was... interesting. In a two-person race like that, I would have thought betting to win would have been the wisest choice.
Award-winning author of "My Short, Happy Life in 'Jeopardy!'"
http://tinyurl.com/btax4xp
dhkendall
Pursuing the Dream

Post by dhkendall »

BADuBois wrote:Fun game, though I blanked on most of the French scientific terms.
Yet another time growing up in a country with bilingual packaging on *everything* helps. (Or as I call it, "here's some free money for being Canadian!", they do this somewhat regularly)
"Jeopardy! is two parts luck and one part luck" - Me

"The way to win on Jeopardy is to be a rabidly curious, information-omnivorous person your entire life." - Ken Jennings

Follow my progress game by game since 2012