Tuesday, April 28, 2015 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

BigDaddyMatty
Hoping not to get pruney this time

Re: Tuesday, April 28, 2015 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

Post by BigDaddyMatty »

nserven wrote:
Volante wrote:
mrsal67 wrote:
The Talking Mime wrote: Instaget FJ. Loved Alex's church lady impression before the reveal.
When Alex did his church lady impression, I thought I was wrong. Not sure why he did that.
Dana Carvey connection
And a Wayne Campbell or Garth Algar impression would have been a catastrophe.
I'd pay foldable money to hear Alex say "Schwing!"
Sprinkles are for winners.
BigDaddyMatty
Hoping not to get pruney this time

Post by BigDaddyMatty »

Winchell Factor wrote:Sabra is also a brand of hummus that you can buy in the grocery store. That might've gotten a person, if not to Israel, at least to the middle east.
That was my one connection to Sabra. I couldn't narrow it down any further and fully expected the correct response to be an Arabic country. I guess I don't think of Israel as "hummus country."
Sprinkles are for winners.
opusthepenguin
The Best Darn Penguin on the Whole JBoard

Post by opusthepenguin »

MarkBarrett wrote:If one of the three players had not done Lindsay Wagner = The Bionic Woman I might have needed a new TV. :)
That clue made me wonder whether they knew enough to neg "Bionic Woman" without the definite article. By J! rules, this is one of the times when it matters. NBC's failed 2007 reboot was called "Bionic Woman." It did not star Lindsay Wagner.
opusthepenguin

Post by opusthepenguin »

MarkBarrett wrote:"Entry of the Gladiators" is one I agree with the music not being necessary.
I agree it wasn't necessary, but disagree with the suggestion it shouldn't have been played. I'd rather they reword the clue to make the music necessary-ish and revalue the clue to acknowledge that everyone knows what that music means.
opusthepenguin

Post by opusthepenguin »

nserven wrote:
Volante wrote:
mrsal67 wrote:
The Talking Mime wrote: Instaget FJ. Loved Alex's church lady impression before the reveal.
When Alex did his church lady impression, I thought I was wrong. Not sure why he did that.
Dana Carvey connection
And a Wayne Campbell or Garth Algar impression would have been a catastrophe.
Sad but true. And there was such an opportunity for it. After the first two contestants had given the correct response, I remarked to my wife: "Wayne's World. Wayne's World. Excellent! Excellent!"
BigDaddyMatty wrote:I'd pay foldable money to hear Alex say "Schwing!"
Point me to your Kickstarter or Gofundme page and I'll contribute.
fowlerism
Swimming in the Jeopardy! Pool

Post by fowlerism »

Mrs. Fowler and I both had Coneheads. The reveal of Wayne's World had us saying "Mebs!"

At the risk of adding myself to the hubris file, had I been on the show I'm not sure I could have stifled "CHARLES MONTGOMERY BURNS!"

The episode where Burns runs for governor is classic.
Volante
Harbinger of the Doomed Lemur

Post by Volante »

fowlerism wrote:Mrs. Fowler and I both had Coneheads. The reveal of Wayne's World had us saying "Mebs!"

At the risk of adding myself to the hubris file, had I been on the show I'm not sure I could have stifled "CHARLES MONTGOMERY BURNS!"

The episode where Burns runs for governor is classic.
Different episode, but I had this stuck in my head for... well, -have- this still stuck in my head.

"He's Monty Burns!"
"I'm Mister Burns!"
"To friends, he's known as Monty, But to you, it's Mr. Burns!"
The best thing that Neil Armstrong ever did, was to let us all imagine we were him.
Latest movies (1-10): Everything Everywhere All at Once (10), Ruby Gillman: Teenage Kraken (6), Black Sunday /1960/ (6), Marcel the Shell with Shoes On (7)
opusthepenguin

Post by opusthepenguin »

billy pilgrim wrote:Yeah. I briefly considered "The Jerk" until I realized that was based on a Steve Martin bit that was non-SNL.
Also, The Jerk came out half a year earlier than The Blues Brothers.
This Is Kirk!
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by This Is Kirk! »

Drew a total blank on FJ and didn't even manage to write anything down. I figured it would have been way before Wayne's World. I'll also shamefully admit I've never seen Wayne's World.
bpmod
Rank

Post by bpmod »

MarkBarrett wrote:The Supremes were not hit, but of course Beastie Boys, Destiny's Child, Green Day, & Blink-182 were hit with no problem. Is there even a single person here who matched that YNYYY result? It was YYYYN for me.
NYNNN for me. I think I have at least heard of the other four, but no way of knowing anything about them.

Coneheads here. I was absolutely certain that it predated Wayne's World.

Brian
...but the senator, while insisting he was not intoxicated, could not explain his nudity.

If I had 50 cents for every math question I got right, I'd have $6.30 by now.
soxfan99
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by soxfan99 »

I'm not a big SNL fan, so I had no idea what movies were based on skits. Instead, I just tried to think of movies that contained SNL cast members and were released near the time of Blues Brothers. I went with Caddyshack, hoping it was based on a skit.
Chiefscrown

Post by Chiefscrown »

I too went with ConeHeads. I was very surprised to see Wayne's World predated it. I also think ConeHeads was one of the better SNL movies, with so many being almost unwatchable.

Did anybody catch when Greg rang in on the "Czech Composer" category, he somewhat convulsed causing the other two to look at him rather strangely. I got a laugh out of that. :lol:
Category 13
Wagering Viking

Post by Category 13 »

mrsal67 wrote:
Category 13 wrote: Dani went with a 'nice tidy number' for her FJ wager, as opposed to a 'nice round number' resulting sum. Had Salvatore wagered a 'nice tidy' $5000 he would have taken second place away from her.
As for the FJ wager, I assumed that Dani would either bet to lock out my double up or she would bet zero. I went with her betting zero.
Yes, I had your two best options as everything but a buck, or $2401. At least you tried to strategize.
Dani's wager gave no consideration to whether you might try to trump her for second place.
Category 13
Wagering Viking

Post by Category 13 »

bpmod wrote:
MarkBarrett wrote:The Supremes were not hit, but of course Beastie Boys, Destiny's Child, Green Day, & Blink-182 were hit with no problem. Is there even a single person here who matched that YNYYY result? It was YYYYN for me.
NYNNN for me. I think I have at least heard of the other four, but no way of knowing anything about them.
Brian
NYNYN
The only reason I got Green Day was from recognizing Billy What's his Face, with that gastly eye liner.

edit: were not The Supremes the top row clue?
OK, I changed my scoreline to adjust them to second row.
Last edited by Category 13 on Wed Apr 29, 2015 2:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.
mrsal67
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by mrsal67 »

Category 13 wrote:
mrsal67 wrote:
Category 13 wrote: Dani went with a 'nice tidy number' for her FJ wager, as opposed to a 'nice round number' resulting sum. Had Salvatore wagered a 'nice tidy' $5000 he would have taken second place away from her.
As for the FJ wager, I assumed that Dani would either bet to lock out my double up or she would bet zero. I went with her betting zero.
Yes, I had your two best options as everything but a buck, or $2401. At least you tried to strategize.
Dani's wager gave no consideration to whether you might try to trump her for second place.
I contacted Dani thru twitter and asked her about her wager and she said that she just thought that it seemed like the right number.
In hindsight I should have bet everything but a buck, but my pride got in the way. I didn't want to tell people that I finished with a dollar. I felt I could live with saying 4400.
mrsal67
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by mrsal67 »

Category 13 wrote:
bpmod wrote:
Brian
YNNYN
The only reason I got Green Day was from recognizing Billy What's his Face, with that gastly eye liner.

It was Beastie, Supremes, Destiny's Child, Green Day and Blink 182. I believe I was the oldest of the contestants and the Supremes is before my time.
Also got Green Day because of the eyeliner.
This Is Kirk!
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by This Is Kirk! »

mrsal67 wrote:I believe I was the oldest of the contestants and the Supremes is before my time.
Serenity now!
nightreign
#TeamAlsoRans

Post by nightreign »

mrsal67 wrote:
Category 13 wrote:
bpmod wrote:
Brian
YNNYN

It was Beastie, Supremes, Destiny's Child, Green Day and Blink 182. I believe I was the oldest of the contestants and the Supremes is before my time.
Also got Green Day because of the eyeliner.
NNNYY
(Perhaps showing my age? I don't really listen to any of those bands, but I know plenty of people who listen to Blink and Green Day. I don't know anyone who listens to those others.)
thenextofken
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by thenextofken »

Wayne's World completely slipped my mind, and I went with Coneheads. The irony is, I saw the former, but not the latter.
econgator
Let's Go Mets!

Post by econgator »

bpmod wrote:
NYNNN for me.
That's my pattern, too. I have heard of all of them, though.