Wednesday, April 29, 2015 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

bomtr
Just a Man Like Any Other

Re: Wednesday, April 29, 2015 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

Post by bomtr »

Is it really 'news' that Radio Shack is bankrupt? Hasn't it been that way for about 25 years? Not news.

Brian easily had enough when he hit the DD that a large bet answered correctly would have eliminated the crush and won the game in a triple stumper. I don't recall exact numbers, but I think he would have been only about 5k back with a true DD. Wasn't it circa 28 k to circa 12k when he hit it?
TenPoundHammer

Post by TenPoundHammer »

Volante wrote:
TenPoundHammer wrote:
"After Platinum… Pla, ple, pli, plo— nope, nothing begins with those. I doubt there's a Pm, so Pn? Nope. Po? Oh wait, time's up."
Again, HOW does anyone have the mental agility for that? You gotta be a freaking machine.
*click, whirr, beep* Syntax error in processing statement. Please rephrase. *click, click, whirr*
So you're an Engi?
Vanya
The support is non-zero

Post by Vanya »

This FJ definitely should be deep-sixed.
davey
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by davey »

Volante wrote:Welp, color me shocked that people had a problem with this final.

What form of communication would alert someone to a torpedo strike in 1917? Radio. What chain store has the word 'radio' in it? Radio Shack. Shack's a small room so I've reverse confirmed it. Had like, 20 seconds to spare.

Looks like the full quote is: "A whistle bleated three times, and the radio shack called up the tube that the steamer Kioto was torpedoed 20 miles southwest by west..." from the October 29, 1917 Belvidere Daily Republican. ( http://www.newspapers.com/newspage/69820128/ ) so the ellipses knocked out the name of the ship.
You may have scooped the OED. It gives the source of the quote as
Gettysburg (Pa.) Times 2 Nov
As someone said, it must have been a wire service report. But the OED does say that their quotations are "the earliest recorded appearance," so that doesn't seem accurate here...
mfc248

Post by mfc248 »

MarkBarrett wrote:Alex's opening had it as 34th season, so perhaps he had the length of his contract signing in mind? About halfway through? Would not it be closer to 2/3rds through?
Had the same thought after the show, so I went to Vermonter's calendar and calculated; tonight's game being no. 163 of 230, we're actually past the two-thirds point. Tempus fugit.
BigDaddyMatty
Hoping not to get pruney this time

Post by BigDaddyMatty »

Coryat: $25,000
41 R/4 W
DD: 2/3
FJ: Instaget
LT: plutonium, silver (DD), New South W(h)ales, Cape Horn (DD)
C: Tess, minstrel; also completely blanked on absinthe, which is Pavlovian for "wormwood"

I precalled Radio Shack during the break, so the sticky syntax wasn't an issue. Kudos to Greg for knowing what he knows and betting big on the Holmes DD. I was disappointed in Brian for not betting big to avoid the crush (and because he had nothing to lose), but his incorrect response made it a moot point.
Sprinkles are for winners.
Volante
Harbinger of the Doomed Lemur

Post by Volante »

davey wrote:
Volante wrote:Welp, color me shocked that people had a problem with this final.

What form of communication would alert someone to a torpedo strike in 1917? Radio. What chain store has the word 'radio' in it? Radio Shack. Shack's a small room so I've reverse confirmed it. Had like, 20 seconds to spare.

Looks like the full quote is: "A whistle bleated three times, and the radio shack called up the tube that the steamer Kioto was torpedoed 20 miles southwest by west..." from the October 29, 1917 Belvidere Daily Republican. ( http://www.newspapers.com/newspage/69820128/ ) so the ellipses knocked out the name of the ship.
You may have scooped the OED. It gives the source of the quote as
Gettysburg (Pa.) Times 2 Nov
As someone said, it must have been a wire service report. But the OED does say that their quotations are "the earliest recorded appearance," so that doesn't seem accurate here...
To be fair, the Gettysburg Times might have been the earliest recorded at the time the OED wrote the citation.
Case in point, http://io9.com/no-william-shakespeare-d ... 1700049586
The best thing that Neil Armstrong ever did, was to let us all imagine we were him.
Latest movies (1-10): Everything Everywhere All at Once (10), Ruby Gillman: Teenage Kraken (6), Black Sunday /1960/ (6), Marcel the Shell with Shoes On (7)
dhkendall
Pursuing the Dream

Post by dhkendall »

Vanya wrote:This FJ definitely should be deep-sixed.
Or called up the tube and torpedoed.
"Jeopardy! is two parts luck and one part luck" - Me

"The way to win on Jeopardy is to be a rabidly curious, information-omnivorous person your entire life." - Ken Jennings

Follow my progress game by game since 2012
seaborgium
Undefeated in Reruns

Post by seaborgium »

bomtr wrote:Brian easily had enough when he hit the DD that a large bet answered correctly would have eliminated the crush and won the game in a triple stumper. I don't recall exact numbers, but I think he would have been only about 5k back with a true DD. Wasn't it circa 28 k to circa 12k when he hit it?
Yes. In fact, given it was $12,000 to $28,400 with $2,000 left on the board, Brian needed to get the DD right to have any chance in FJ. (That's barring any ill-advised, lock-breaking neg from Greg on the $2,000 clue.) My instincts say $8,300 is a good wager there; it would have gotten Brian to $20,300 on a correct response, just over Greg's 2/3 threshold if he got the $2,000 clue and finished with $30,400. Plus, with an incorrect response, he'd be over Sara's 2/3 threshold and probably finish in second after FJ.

You did well, Brian. Sorry I couldn't hang around and talk to you in person.
BigDaddyMatty
Hoping not to get pruney this time

Post by BigDaddyMatty »

seaborgium wrote:Yes. In fact, given it was $12,000 to $28,400 with $2,000 left on the board, Brian needed to get the DD right to have any chance in FJ. (That's barring any ill-advised, lock-breaking neg from Greg on the $2,000 clue.) My instincts say $8,300 is a good wager there; it would have gotten Brian to $20,300 on a correct response, just over Greg's 2/3 threshold if he got the $2,000 clue and finished with $30,400. Plus, with an incorrect response, he'd be over Sara's 2/3 threshold and probably finish in second after FJ.
Given the bolded, the correct wager is a TDD.
Sprinkles are for winners.
willwoodlen
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by willwoodlen »

While I'm truly happy for those who found the FJ a cinch, I'm with the majority who found the clue nearly unintelligible. By the end of the 30 seconds I had sort of figured out what it was asking, but by then I had no hope of coming up with a viable response. I basically made one up. Then again, it's very likely I would have been stumped anyway, because business categories have been my worst since, well, forever. I'm 0-for-3 in FJs this week, and sinking into quite the funk over it.

As for Brian's DD wager, I thought any amount would be fine as long as it put him within reach of Greg regardless of who got the final clue. If I'd been in his position, I would have wagered $3200, giving me $15,200. If Greg then grabbed the last clue for $30,400, he would almost have to wager 0 in FJ, allowing me to go for a tie. Of course, Sarah could have screwed up everything by snagging the last question for herself.
harrumph
Voyeur

Post by harrumph »

For FJ I went with Subway (thinking the room might be a sub way in a submarine)
seaborgium
Undefeated in Reruns

Post by seaborgium »

BigDaddyMatty wrote:
seaborgium wrote:Yes. In fact, given it was $12,000 to $28,400 with $2,000 left on the board, Brian needed to get the DD right to have any chance in FJ. (That's barring any ill-advised, lock-breaking neg from Greg on the $2,000 clue.) My instincts say $8,300 is a good wager there; it would have gotten Brian to $20,300 on a correct response, just over Greg's 2/3 threshold if he got the $2,000 clue and finished with $30,400. Plus, with an incorrect response, he'd be over Sara's 2/3 threshold and probably finish in second after FJ.
Given the bolded, the correct wager is a TDD.
Given there is a better payout for second place than for third, and he had a range of wagers that would have gotten the job done he needed on the upside while maintaining a good chance of holding on to second place, anything from that range, i.e. $7,000 (2/3 of Greg if he doesn't get the remaining clue if right, tie with Sara if wrong) to $8,666 (2/3 of Greg even if he gets the remaining clue if right, 2/3 of Sara if wrong), is perfectly viable.
VoluptuousLoser
Valued Contributor

Post by VoluptuousLoser »

Category 13 wrote:
VoluptuousLoser wrote:when I got the late Daily Double and had a chance to get out from under the runaway, I bet enough to ensure that, if I was right, I would have enough to stay alive into Final Jeopardy! regardless of how the remaining clues played out. I should have bet more-- say $10,000-- to put myself in a position to bet zero in Final Jeopardy! and win on a question that stumped Greg and me.
I don't think you had anywhere near enough to put Greg in a 'crush' which would enable you to wager $0 in FJ.
See my post above.
I don't think you're right about that. I had $12,000 when I found the Daily Double, which was the last clue of the round. If I had wagered $10,000 (and been correct), I would have had $22,000 and Greg would have had $28,000. He would have had to wager enough to cover me and, when he missed, he would have fallen below me if I had bet zero.
Robert K S
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by Robert K S »

MarkBarrett wrote:Alex's opening had it as 34th season, so perhaps he had the length of his contract signing in mind? About halfway through? Would not it be closer to 2/3rds through?
More. Not sure what Alex has been smoking, but 163/230 = 71%.
PeteMoss
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by PeteMoss »

Being a Techie, a Ham radio operator and an Erik Larson reader, FJ was an instaget.
MtlMike
Valued Contributor

Post by MtlMike »

P.S. By the way, I was ready to buzz with "Standard & Poor's" after Greg said "Standard's & Poor's," but Alex gave him credit. Even though they overturned the ruling later, it cost me $1,000 (which wouldn't have affected the outcome).
Yes, I knew the answer was wrong (like another poster here, I knew only one of S&P was pluralized, but not sure which one!). And since this is a very common error (a la "Revelations" for the bible book), I'm surprised Alex and/or the judges weren't more careful in accepting Greg's answer. As you say, it didn't cost you the game as it turned out, but it could have!

In Canada, the Radio Shack name has been gone for a long time (renamed to The Source), and I was only vaguely aware that they were still around in the US. Mark me down as another Old Navy guesser, though I was pretty sure it was wrong.
Category 13
Wagering Viking

Post by Category 13 »

VoluptuousLoser wrote:
Category 13 wrote:
VoluptuousLoser wrote:when I got the late Daily Double and had a chance to get out from under the runaway, I bet enough to ensure that, if I was right, I would have enough to stay alive into Final Jeopardy! regardless of how the remaining clues played out. I should have bet more-- say $10,000-- to put myself in a position to bet zero in Final Jeopardy! and win on a question that stumped Greg and me.
I don't think you had anywhere near enough to put Greg in a 'crush' which would enable you to wager $0 in FJ.
See my post above.
I don't think you're right about that. I had $12,000 when I found the Daily Double, which was the last clue of the round. If I had wagered $10,000 (and been correct), I would have had $22,000 and Greg would have had $28,000. He would have had to wager enough to cover me and, when he missed, he would have fallen below me if I had bet zero.
I stand corrected.
Hurridly doing the math when the DD came up, I must have been thinking in terms of surpassing Greg before Final Jeopardy, and was hoping you would go for it right then.
DysonSphere

Post by DysonSphere »

I got FJ with a few seconds left. Not sure if I could have written the answer in time.

Strange, strange clue. Relative in the same room flipped out trying to understand what the question was trying to ask.
mrsal67
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by mrsal67 »

Sitting in the audience watching this FJ, it didn't seem so confusing. However I may have been helped by the fact that my wife precalled "Radio Shack" when the category came up, therefore putting them in my thought process. I actually precalled Best Buy because they had been in the news as well.
Once the clue came up it confirmed my wife's precall.
It may matter that Radio Shack's bankruptcy was in the news a lot more at the time of taping then it is now (it declared bankruptcy on Feb 5, 2015 and the show was taped on Feb 24th), kind of like the Bratt/Blatt question last year.