Wednesday, April 29, 2015 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

doihavetoreally
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Re: Wednesday, April 29, 2015 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

Post by doihavetoreally »

I am celebrating today - everyone can join too. The reason - today is one of those rare occasions where the language of FJ would have made NO difference. Glad to see I am not the only one here :)

I watched lot of Sherlock, but Mycroft name didn't come to me in time. Also for drug, I said Morphine :|

Alex got lot of press during his run, but Greg is no slouch either - he is as good, except for his DD play.
Last edited by doihavetoreally on Wed Apr 29, 2015 8:26 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Good enough to lose on Jeopardy!
mxc_takeshi

Post by mxc_takeshi »

31 right.

Chemical (3), Liq (1), Athlete (4), "Vo" (3), Indiana (4), 500 (2)
Large (2), Plurals (2), Occupy (1), Cage (4), Capes (2), Elementary (3)

Lach Trash: "silver"- DD

That was a hard FJ clue to digest, and I didn't have any good guesses.
Spaceman Spiff
One-and-done J! Champ (and proud of it!)

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

Bamaman wrote:I did not even understand the FJ answer, but I got it as soon as Alex said radio.

I did a lot better than expected in the elements.

Good solid job by Greg.
It helped that I tried my hand at ham radio back in my teens (never got past the Novice license), so I was familiar with the term. Surprised it wasn't from earlier in the decade.
alietr
Site Admin

Post by alietr »

I'm going to start a separate thread where people can try to re-write that FJ. There must be a way it can be phrased so it makes sense. Hopefully it can be done, but I'm not overly optimistic. The thread will be spoilerized, of course. The mere presence and title of the thread will hopefully not spoil anything.
Category 13
Wagering Viking

Post by Category 13 »

Fishercat wrote: The final DD wager was interesting. 4k takes him out of the running with a wrong answer anyway, may as well put a lot more in. But at least enough was wagered to, if he was right, to guarantee him a shot.
I can't remember the scores at the time, but it seemed to me that even if Brian went TDD (correct response) and then got the remaining 2000 clue he still would have been $400 shy of Greg's total with an all-in FJ wager. That was just doing live time calculations on the fly as I have no recording devise.

I thought Greg was going to say his suit was one of the Beatle's from 1963.

Category 13
Wagering Viking

Post by Category 13 »

VoluptuousLoser wrote:when I got the late Daily Double and had a chance to get out from under the runaway, I bet enough to ensure that, if I was right, I would have enough to stay alive into Final Jeopardy! regardless of how the remaining clues played out. I should have bet more-- say $10,000-- to put myself in a position to bet zero in Final Jeopardy! and win on a question that stumped Greg and me.
I don't think you had anywhere near enough to put Greg in a 'crush' which would enable you to wager $0 in FJ.
See my post above.
The Talking Mime

Post by The Talking Mime »

I agree that the FJ clue was just awful. However, I still managed to get it somehow by focusing on the "two word room" part or whatever that part of the clue said. Radio Shack came to mind immediately and I couldn't come up with anything better.

Keep up the run, Greg!
"There is much pleasure to be gained from useless knowledge."
-Bertrand Russell
Stanislaus Jacob

Post by Stanislaus Jacob »

Hobby Lobby was my precall and since it is two words and a lobby could be considered a room, I stuck with it even though I could think of no way to link it to the clue. I too got it immediately once Alex said the word radio. It might have been easier without the "In the News" part.
nightreign
#TeamAlsoRans

Post by nightreign »

That Final reminded me of the Big Brother one from last year.

I was hoping for Brian to get the last DD so there would be a bit of a dogfight in Final, but with thay clue, it wouldn't have mattered anyway.
Greg is an enjoyable comtestant and it's certainly been cool to see him win 5 games. If you're lurking here, good luck in the ToC!
Fishercat

Post by Fishercat »

Category 13 wrote:
Fishercat wrote: The final DD wager was interesting. 4k takes him out of the running with a wrong answer anyway, may as well put a lot more in. But at least enough was wagered to, if he was right, to guarantee him a shot.
I can't remember the scores at the time, but it seemed to me that even if Brian went TDD (correct response) and then got the remaining 2000 clue he still would have been $400 shy of Greg's total with an all-in FJ wager. That was just doing live time calculations on the fly as I have no recording devise.
I'd have to go back and check, but you may be right in TDD + Correct + 2k would leave him short. The idea on what I was thinking is that it gets him out of crush land, so he doesn't have to get it right to have a shot. For instance, if he puts most of his money on the line and gets it right, he mght be able to force the champ to a wager where he can't lock out (right) without falling below Him (wrong).
GhostStalker
Jeopardy! Contestant

Post by GhostStalker »

I was able to parse the Final Jeopardy clue after staring at it for a couple of seconds in the New York Times. Got it after I understood it.
davey

Post by davey »

TenPoundHammer wrote:
FJ! category had me happy since I'm a retail nerd. Precall was RadioShack. Small room that could "call up" something? Sweet, I love it when my precall is right, and I love it even more when I get a triple-stumper right. But both at once? THAT is rare as all hell. Good job, Hammer.
Good for you for getting it, but you're misreading the clue the way many if not most of us did if you think it's about "calling up" anything. Rather, an announcement is being called "up the tube" - a speaking tube connected to the bridge, presumably.
If one already knew how to parse it - like whoever came up with the clue - it might seem obvious, but very tricky to get in 30 seconds. I spent it trying to connect "the tube" with "the steamer" and the torpedo...
skullturf
Married to a Jeopardy! Champion

Post by skullturf »

I didn't get FJ during those 30 seconds. At about the 28 or 29 second mark, I quickly scribbled down "Old Navy" just to have something. I didn't really expect it to be correct, but it is a two-word name for a chain store, and word association took me from "torpedo" to "navy".
Volante
Harbinger of the Doomed Lemur

Post by Volante »

Welp, color me shocked that people had a problem with this final.

What form of communication would alert someone to a torpedo strike in 1917? Radio. What chain store has the word 'radio' in it? Radio Shack. Shack's a small room so I've reverse confirmed it. Had like, 20 seconds to spare.

Looks like the full quote is: "A whistle bleated three times, and the radio shack called up the tube that the steamer Kioto was torpedoed 20 miles southwest by west..." from the October 29, 1917 Belvidere Daily Republican. ( http://www.newspapers.com/newspage/69820128/ ) so the ellipses knocked out the name of the ship.
The best thing that Neil Armstrong ever did, was to let us all imagine we were him.
Latest movies (1-10): Everything Everywhere All at Once (10), Ruby Gillman: Teenage Kraken (6), Black Sunday /1960/ (6), Marcel the Shell with Shoes On (7)
skullturf
Married to a Jeopardy! Champion

Post by skullturf »

I guess I thought that "called up the tube" could just mean using your voice to shout something into a pipelike thing that led into another room not very far away. Or something along those lines, anyway. That was the best mental image I could conjure up during those 30 seconds.
davey

Post by davey »

skullturf wrote:I guess I thought that "called up the tube" could just mean using your voice to shout something into a pipelike thing that led into another room not very far away. Or something along those lines, anyway. That was the best mental image I could conjure up during those 30 seconds.
That IS what's meant. I thought it was the tube that was being "called up" (maybe the tube that a torpedo runs through), but then the sentence seemed to lose its way grammatically....
floridagator

Post by floridagator »

I got FJ fairly quickly. The question itself was an easy one for me (I'm a big-business junkie) but it was awkwardly phrased. In my experience, business is the bugbear of many otherwise well-rounded J! and CB players.

The demarcation between N & S Atlantic is the Cape of Good Hope? No wonder I didn't get it right. I was fishing for something on the African equator. At least I didn't say Zero-Zero Island. (Now who knows what THAT is a reference to!) :twisted:

I thought plutonium was fairly easy and was surprised it escaped the players. I heard Greg say "Standards and Poor's" and was just waiting for the reversal. And I'm giving myself a pat on the back for knowing sonographer. Kudos to Greg for that one and another hot game.
I'd rather cuddle then have sex. If you're into grammar, you'll understand.
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

Alex's opening had it as 34th season, so perhaps he had the length of his contract signing in mind? About halfway through? Would not it be closer to 2/3rds through?

Credit to Mike Brady for my getting the minstrel clue at the 19:45 mark:
Spoiler
I knew Greg was going to be busted for his error on S&P.

Brian: You did not like seeing LIQUERS come up. Would you have preferred NURSERY RHYMES? ;) Welcome and thanks for sharing your comments about the game. 4/5 for this water-drinker in LIQUEURS as I guessed vermouth off seeing wormwood. The others I have picked up from watching J!

The FJ! category was precall time. I wrote:
Walmart
Target
Best Buy
Radio Shack (been so long since I've been in one I had forgotten it is RadioShack.)
CVS (not trying to be Baltimore funny)

Like many others I read the clue, reread it, and reread it again. With time winding down the best I was able to make out of the clue was "steamer" had me picturing a train engine for some reason. In the hope that there was a smaller section in it for a radio guy I wrote Radio Shack. This time it was correct to write it in two words based on the clue's wording.

If I had not done any brainstorming during the break I have no way of knowing if I would have guessed right or not. The break is there on the set as well, so thinking about what the category could bring is fair play.

Anyone who wrote or thought RadioShack is wrong since the clue wanted "this 2 word small room." (Just messing with you.)

The TOC field keeps getting clearer focus and the chances for Michael Bilow and Elliot Yates keep decreasing.
TenPoundHammer

Post by TenPoundHammer »

floridagator wrote:I thought plutonium was fairly easy and was surprised it escaped the players.
Unless you're like me:
"After Platinum… Pla, ple, pli, plo— nope, nothing begins with those. I doubt there's a Pm, so Pn? Nope. Po? Oh wait, time's up."
Again, HOW does anyone have the mental agility for that? You gotta be a freaking machine.
Volante
Harbinger of the Doomed Lemur

Post by Volante »

TenPoundHammer wrote:
"After Platinum… Pla, ple, pli, plo— nope, nothing begins with those. I doubt there's a Pm, so Pn? Nope. Po? Oh wait, time's up."
Again, HOW does anyone have the mental agility for that? You gotta be a freaking machine.
*click, whirr, beep* Syntax error in processing statement. Please rephrase. *click, click, whirr*
The best thing that Neil Armstrong ever did, was to let us all imagine we were him.
Latest movies (1-10): Everything Everywhere All at Once (10), Ruby Gillman: Teenage Kraken (6), Black Sunday /1960/ (6), Marcel the Shell with Shoes On (7)