Tuesday, May 5, 2015 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

opusthepenguin
The Best Darn Penguin on the Whole JBoard

Re: Tuesday, May 5, 2015 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

Post by opusthepenguin » Tue May 05, 2015 9:46 pm

TenPoundHammer wrote:Unless you can't think of a French author. If you pressed me right now, I doubt I could think of one...
But we're not talking about you. We're talking about Jeopardy! contestants. It's a vanishingly rare Jeopardy! contestant who can't come up with a single French author in 5 seconds. And for 90% or more of them, Hugo will be the one they name. Others might think of Voltaire, Moliere, Verne, Racine, Rabelais, Balzac, no not Chaucer he was English, Camus, Flaubert, de Maupassant, Baudelaire, or Rimbaud. Just off the top of my head.
Spoiler
Show
Oh, hey, I just realized I forgot Zola, even though he was in a clue last week and we talked about his book Germinal in the game thread. I am such a Dumas.

thenextofken
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by thenextofken » Tue May 05, 2015 10:32 pm

On the Popeye clue, would they have accepted "finich" for "finish?"

Volante
Harbinger of the Doomed Lemur

Post by Volante » Tue May 05, 2015 10:36 pm

opusthepenguin wrote:
Bamaman wrote:I have never read that book and could not name more than one character in it. But it sounded Russian so I'll go with Anna Karenina.
Same here. It's a Russian book and it has to have a title character. So Crime and Punishment, for example, is out. It's pretty much down to Anna Karenina or Warren Peace.
*rimshot*

BigDaddyMatty
Save Me, Maggie!

Post by BigDaddyMatty » Tue May 05, 2015 10:40 pm

Coryat: $29,400
45 R/4 W
DD: 3/3
FJ: Instaget; Russian + infidelity = Anna Karenina
LT: Quicken Loans, Tripoli (DD), Mr. Goodwrench, The Church of England (DD), Tchaikovsky
C: white (paper), Bobby Fischer, Victor Hugo
TenPoundHammer wrote:Bobby Fischer was severely overvalued at $2,000.
Amen. It's what kept me from ringing in.
Bamaman wrote:One clue left on the board and if Dan gets it right, he breaks the lock and has a chance in FJ. Granted, it is ballet, but who knows. Then the answer is "Blah blah blah blah 19th century French author blah blah blah blah". No ballet knowledge needed!!!! Just guess a French author. So of course he clams.
Indeed, especially when the full TOM is that it's a French author who wrote something entitled Les Orientales. Why not take a shot with the guy whose arguably most famous work is Les Some Other Group of People?
Category 13 wrote:LOL. How dare yea say Chevrolet made any other sports car than a Corvette.
In fairness to Hammer, Chevy did also make the Camaro, but c'mon. The Corvette is the sports car.
thenextofken wrote:On the Popeye clue, would they have accepted "finich" for "finish?"
They better have. That's how I answered it at home.
Sprinkles are for winners.

MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett » Tue May 05, 2015 10:45 pm

Alex's opening was interesting in relaying Scott's add on to the comment from yesterday about seeing Greg in the TOC. I like to know where Scott fell on the kidding to serious scale for such a remark. He's at least 40% there if not 50%. And if things get crazy then 66%.

Clue 4 is a Daily Double and your score is $600. The wager should never be $500. Then Jen could not figure out Tripoli. And she guessed Marrakesh not a world capital? Trapdoor!

1/5 for me in Parliament getting the Myanmar that required zero Brit knowledge. Bloody well done by the players to get all but the DD and of course only one player had a crack at it.

I saw the FJ! clue and recognized that Oblonsky looked like Vronsky. Oh, Tolstoy! I wrote "War & Pe" and did not finish before correcting to the appropriate work. It was not until reading here that I picked up on the clue having "title character."

We have covered a lot of possible fails. Anyone guess The Idiot?

dhkendall
Pursuing the Dream

Post by dhkendall » Tue May 05, 2015 10:49 pm

opusthepenguin wrote:
Bamaman wrote:I have never read that book and could not name more than one character in it. But it sounded Russian so I'll go with Anna Karenina.
Same here. It's a Russian book and it has to have a title character. So Crime and Punishment, for example, is out. It's pretty much down to Anna Karenina or Warren Peace.
My guess was Dr. Zhivago. At least it's a Rissian novel with a title character.

And cute joke, Opus.
"Jeopardy! is two parts luck and one part luck" - Me

"The way to win on Jeopardy is to be a rabidly curious, information-omnivorous person your entire life." - Ken Jennings

Follow my progress game by game since 2012

dhkendall
Pursuing the Dream

Post by dhkendall » Tue May 05, 2015 10:54 pm

MarkBarrett wrote:Alex's opening was interesting in relaying Scott's add on to the comment from yesterday about seeing Greg in the TOC. I like to know where Scott fell on the kidding to serious scale for such a remark. He's at least 40% there if not 50%. And if things get crazy then 66%.
I think it was more "innocent mistake", along the lines of someone wishing you "happy birthday" and you reply "thanks! You too!" (The example assumes, of course, that the other person has a different birthday than you)

"The way to win on Jeopardy is to be a rabidly curious, information-omnivorous person your entire life." - Ken Jennings

barandall800
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by barandall800 » Tue May 05, 2015 10:58 pm

dhkendall wrote:
opusthepenguin wrote:

And cute joke, Opus.
Ditto on the joke.

I had...Lady Chatterley's Lover. Yeah. I will gladly claim the "at least I had something" defense here... 8-)

gamawire
Swimming in the Jeopardy! Pool

Post by gamawire » Tue May 05, 2015 11:02 pm

Category 13 wrote:
econgator wrote:
Category 13 wrote:LOL. How dare yea say Chevrolet made any other sports car than a Corvette.
What other one did they make?
They didn't.
My comment was directed at TPH.
No Camaro love?
"It is better, of course, to know useless things than to know nothing." -- Seneca

dhkendall
Pursuing the Dream

Post by dhkendall » Tue May 05, 2015 11:03 pm

barandall800 wrote:
dhkendall wrote:
opusthepenguin wrote:

And cute joke, Opus.
Ditto on the joke.

I had...Lady Chatterley's Lover. Yeah. I will gladly claim the "at least I had something" defense here... 8-)
As I've mentioned before, the D. H. in D. H. Lawrence and the dh in dhkendall stand for the same thing, so I've at least learned a bit about D. H. Lawrence's works, enough to know not to answer "Lady Chatterly's Lover". Was kind of hoping he'd show up in the "Authors' Middle Names" category.

Vermonter
2003 College Champion

Post by Vermonter » Tue May 05, 2015 11:14 pm

Thought we might see a Lolita in there.
Hate bad wagering? Me too. Join me at The Final Wager.

This Is Kirk!
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by This Is Kirk! » Tue May 05, 2015 11:51 pm

TenPoundHammer wrote:No guess on FJ! Can't say that I've heard of the correct response.
I agree. You can't say that.

Onairb

Post by Onairb » Wed May 06, 2015 1:49 am

lisa0012 wrote:I've been waiting over an hour for a hubris comment. I'm disappointed.
IMO, the 'hubris' thing is getting older than TPH's self-deprecation. So, could it please die a hubristic death?

JayK33
Just a Fan

Post by JayK33 » Wed May 06, 2015 3:03 am

Congrats to Scott on the second win. Ever since I saw his Hometown Howdy with the black suit and that stache I wanted to give him some kind of a comical nickname. Like "Scotula". :idea:

MDaunt
Weighed in the balance and found wanting

Post by MDaunt » Wed May 06, 2015 3:33 am

opusthepenguin wrote:
The Idiot, The Gambler, The Brothers Karamazov, A Day in the Life of Ivan Denisovich, Lolita, Dr. Zhivago, Eugene Onegin et al.

bpmod
Rank

Post by bpmod » Wed May 06, 2015 5:36 am

Sports Car => Corvette
Muscle Car => Camaro (and lots of others)

But 1953 should be pavlovian for Corvette in the context of 'car'.

Brian
...but the senator, while insisting he was not intoxicated, could not explain his nudity.

If I had 50 cents for every math question I got right, I'd have $6.30 by now.

davey

Post by davey » Wed May 06, 2015 8:21 am

MDaunt wrote:
opusthepenguin wrote:
The Idiot, The Gambler, The Brothers Karamazov, A Day in the Life of Ivan Denisovich, Lolita, Dr. Zhivago, Eugene Onegin et al.
Lolita doesn't belong on that list. We could add Oblomov, and The Master and Margarita.

Vanya
The support is non-zero

Post by Vanya » Wed May 06, 2015 9:49 am

davey wrote:
MDaunt wrote: The Idiot, The Gambler, The Brothers Karamazov, A Day in the Life of Ivan Denisovich, Lolita, Dr. Zhivago, Eugene Onegin et al.
Lolita doesn't belong on that list. We could add Oblomov, and The Master and Margarita.
Nabokov grew up in Russia, and wrote a Russian language version of Lolita himself.

davey

Post by davey » Wed May 06, 2015 10:37 am

Vanya wrote:
davey wrote:
MDaunt wrote: The Idiot, The Gambler, The Brothers Karamazov, A Day in the Life of Ivan Denisovich, Lolita, Dr. Zhivago, Eugene Onegin et al.
Nabokov grew up in Russia, and wrote a Russian language version of Lolita himself.
It's not a Russian novel, doesn't have Russian characters, has nothing to do with Russia.

goatman
Man Who Stares At Goats!

Post by goatman » Wed May 06, 2015 10:52 am

econgator wrote:
That was about my thought process, too (although I did think that Oblonsky sounded a lot like Vronsky, so ...).

No clue why it was "Interestingly", though.
Because Anna later committed the same offense... with Vronsky. They were an adulterous family!

Fantastic game for goat-starers with 50R, nailed all my wheelhouses! Took LT on: "Church of England" Palace of Westminster, Tchaikovsky (wow! TS!?), Victor Hugo (Giselle, Les Orientales; "19th C Frnech Author, Dumas was before and Verne seems unlikely, eh?!), Quicken Loans (Intuit, used the software back in the day!), Mr Goodwrench (GM; he 'wrenched' my wallet a few times!), Tripoli (literally "Three cities {polis}" get on DD). No get on "Fancy Free" musicals are a weak cat for goatmen. Instaget Odette = Swan Lake, and although never saw Charles Pfizer's mug before, know his Rx = Advil Zoloft (plug for the sponsor, eh!).

Nailed 5/5 on author's by middle names, (Edgar Allen Poe, Zora Neale Hurston, Robert Louis Stevenson, Samuel Taylor Coleridge, Wordsworth buddy, and Louisa May Alcott); also 5/5 on cap cities, Biz by Nos., holidays, "Dis" words, two-role actors' films, lol I never get all the films, what luck! Loved the #'s: Motel-Six, 54-40 or Fight, U-571, Jarvik-7, Heinz 57 gimme, overvalued at $400 IMHO, LOL!

Mustachio makes for strong play, I need to grow one, what a marvelous mustache! :P
The corridors of my mind are plastered with 3M Post-It notes!