Tuesday, May 12, 2015 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

econgator
Let's Go Mets!

Re: Tuesday, May 12, 2015 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

Post by econgator »

bpmod wrote:Did I hear the announcer say that O'Leary made most of his money teaching kids how to read or something to that effect? Also, what is with all of the posters here not knowing what Mr. I Can't Spell wrote on his screen under his name?

Brian
It was Mr. Wonderful!
DHicton
ToC, Class of '07

Post by DHicton »

Looks like somebody has more money than brains. When he was given $1000 (actually $3800) to bet with at the end, I half expected Kevin O'Leary to say, "I don't want your charity."
Bamaman wrote:Overall, it wasn't horrible by Celebrity J! standards as no one was a total moron, but it was still bad.
Yeah, somebody was.
WilliamPorygon
Contributor

Post by WilliamPorygon »

DHicton wrote:Looks like somebody has more money than brains.
It seems like, in general, the wealth and/or power a person has is inversely proportional to their smarts.
Robert K S
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by Robert K S »

bpmod wrote:Did I hear the announcer say that O'Leary made most of his money teaching kids how to read or something to that effect?
O'Leary invested in--and later sold--an educational software company. Among the several of its acquisitions before he sold it was Broderbund, which is a brand many people of my generation will recognize.
bpmod
Rank

Post by bpmod »

econgator wrote:
bpmod wrote:Did I hear the announcer say that O'Leary made most of his money teaching kids how to read or something to that effect? Also, what is with all of the posters here not knowing what Mr. I Can't Spell wrote on his screen under his name?

Brian
It was Mr. Wonderful!
I suppose it could be seen that way. It didn't look like it to me (at first) though.
Mr_Wonderfull.jpg
Mr_Wonderfull.jpg (8.78 KiB) Viewed 4146 times
Brian
...but the senator, while insisting he was not intoxicated, could not explain his nudity.

If I had 50 cents for every math question I got right, I'd have $6.30 by now.
alietr
Site Admin

Post by alietr »

I do believe that that is "Wonderful!" not Wonderfull [sic].
DHicton
ToC, Class of '07

Post by DHicton »

MDaunt wrote:It helps if you've seen the photo before. A "friend" of mine posted it on Facebook a while back.
And I posted a different picture on Facebook a short time ago, one that would have been a lot more obvious. They were also cuter in the pic I posted. (I can't seem to post the image here for some reason, but here's the URL:)

http://i1.wp.com/www.whaleoil.co.nz/wp- ... vidson.jpg
Last edited by DHicton on Tue May 12, 2015 9:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.
DHicton
ToC, Class of '07

Post by DHicton »

MDaunt wrote:It helps if you've seen the photo before. A "friend" of mine posted it on Facebook a while back.
And I posted a different picture on Facebook a short time ago, one that would have been a lot more obvious. They were also cuter in the pic I posted. (It seems to have worked this time.)

Last edited by DHicton on Tue May 12, 2015 9:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Johnblue
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by Johnblue »

Wow, Mark Kelly seems pretty unpleasant. I'm not a Packers fan but Aaron R seems like a great guy. At least he had some intelligence. So many TSs today. It's nice to see the former congresswoman in the audience.
Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Post by Bamaman »

I think the get rate zooms if they use that picture.
heelsrule1988
Sports Jeopardy! Alum/VVL #19

Post by heelsrule1988 »

I need a GIF of Alex doing the Discount Double Check. :lol:
Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Post by Bamaman »

DHicton wrote:Looks like somebody has more money than brains. When he was given $1000 (actually $3800) to bet with at the end, I half expected Kevin O'Leary to say, "I don't want your charity."
Bamaman wrote:Overall, it wasn't horrible by Celebrity J! standards as no one was a total moron, but it was still bad.
Yeah, somebody was.
I agree he didn't play very well. But from watching other bright people on CJ, being smart does not equal doing well in a trivia game. Sadly, no basic screening test us given to the rich and famous. Aaron got a lucky draw. Swap him with Debra Messing and his charity goes home with $10,000.
HostWithTheMost
Valued Contributor

Post by HostWithTheMost »

Elijah Baley wrote:Aaron Rodgers is going to hear about that FJ miss for a long, long time. He plays quarterback for Wisconsin's NFL team; Harley-Davidson was founded in Milwaukee, Wisconsin. After dairy products, H-D is about as Wisconsin as it gets. Even a guy who played at Cal should have been able to figure that out in less time than it takes to read the defense.

Good thing he won't be taking the field in Green Bay for a few more months!
Not nearly as embarrassing as pulling a donut on 5 Bears. Rodgers couldn't get a single question right in a category about famous alums from his alma mater, and ran away from the category when all that was left was the 400 clue. And what's up with an astronaut flaming out on the Physical Science category?
yruey
Just Starting Out on JBoard

Post by yruey »

As a Cal alum, I was excited to see this game. I have to lament about how Rodgers didn't do better in the Cal alum category (he did get the $400 clue about current governor which is Jerry Brown).

I did get the FJ because I was just in Milwaukee recently and noticed the existence of the Harley Davidson museum there (and the fact that they tried to make a connection to Rodgers playing in Green Bay just confirmed that answer to me).

Coincidentally, the only Jeopardy! taping I have ever seen in person was the Celebrity version ("Power Players") that was taped in DC few years ago. The pace of play was a definitely issue for the celebs. It was fun to see "Mr. Wonderful" be in the red though.
BigDaddyMatty
Hoping not to get pruney this time

Post by BigDaddyMatty »

Coryat: $38,800
44 R/1 W
DD: 3/3
FJ: :mrgreen:
LT: drummers drumming, Lazarus, Paradise Lost, Vatican City, Molly Ringwald & Ally Sheedy, the fifth dimension (w/o Marilyn McCoo), Namibia, (carbon-)14, Dilbert, Apple (DD)
C: Ceres, Gregory Peck

Now that's the Celebrity J! that we know and loathe. Rodgers was a good player overall, both in knowledge and gameplay, Mark had some knowledge but kept forgetting basic elements of the game, and Kevin? He's dead to me.

I'm intrigued to see how this FJ! polls. I think it would have worked as an everyday clue, though it likely wouldn't produce a TS.
Sprinkles are for winners.
MarkBarrett
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by MarkBarrett »

That was a perfecto busted up early when I was not sure enough for the drummers being 12. It's May, so it is harder this time of year.

Alex Trebek (not knowing the clues ahead of time) could have won this game playing against any combination of two of tonight's celebrities.

Mark only bet 400 on his Daily Double, so I was hoping against hope he had a 200 or lower for his FJ! wager.

Aaron had the schedule in his favor getting the equivalent of the Jaguars and Browns for opponents. The Seahawks in Week 2 of the NFL schedule will be a better challenge.

Lots of clue left, but at least all of the DDs were uncovered.

Even with my TV (42" HD) I needed to interpret what I was seeing in the FJ! photos. After I figured out those things were motorcycles I still had to wrestle with doubt as I stared at "Davidson" on my paper along with "Harley &" that it was not "Davison." Ever since years ago I learned John Rockefeller's middle name was Davison it has messed with me on occasion for which goes with which.
jfrumkin
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by jfrumkin »

Winning Jeopardy is yet another thing that A-Aron Rodgers and I have in common.
Twitter: @jfrumkin
OrangeSAM
(Unranked)

Post by OrangeSAM »

jfrumkin wrote:Winning Jeopardy is yet another thing that A-Aron Rodgers and I have in common.
You dated Olivia Munn, too??

I realized we were looking at motorcycles with large sidecars, and since when J! is asking for two businessmen they are usually looking for partners, not rivals, I went with H-D.
OCSam
Volante
Harbinger of the Doomed Lemur

Post by Volante »

floridagator wrote:LOL @ Rodgers's FJ answer of Ernst & Young.
In of itself, that's a pretty good wrong answer though.
dhkendall wrote: IT'S TRUE $1000: Anyone else think "livery" was major neg-bait?
Only because we recently had a clue on it (and I took the bait...)
Category 13 wrote:I was pleased to see Aaron Rogers do well. His clue selection was expedient, verses the other two. Mark Kelly's mind seemed to be wandering off into space half the time (pardon the pun).
Rogers could likely hold his own if he was a little more familiar with the game's nuances. Some pretty good gets, really looked like the knowledge was in there, it was just the retrieval that was lacking.

All in all, not a bad Celeb J! game. Not great, but not bad.
Bamaman wrote: I agree he didn't play very well. But from watching other bright people on CJ, being smart does not equal doing well in a trivia game. Sadly, no basic screening test us given to the rich and famous. Aaron got a lucky draw. Swap him with Debra Messing and his charity goes home with $10,000.
I wonder if TPTB sorted the celebs so they'd be equally matched on, for lack of a better term, comfort level. Instead of your typical sports bracket with 1-16, 2-15, 3-14, they sorted them 1-2-3, 4-5-6...13-14-15

Gilligan, Messing or Flynn would not have been out of place in a regular match, while Rogers, O'Leary and Kelly all seemed, to be generous on all accounts, cautious. It wouldn't be good for a celeb game to be a blowout, basically.
The best thing that Neil Armstrong ever did, was to let us all imagine we were him.
Latest movies (1-10): WIthnail & I (7), An Autumn Afternoon (7), Europa Europa (7), Tampopo (9)
jfrumkin
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by jfrumkin »

OrangeSAM wrote:
jfrumkin wrote:Winning Jeopardy is yet another thing that A-Aron Rodgers and I have in common.
You dated Olivia Munn, too??
What haven't I accomplished that he's accomplished.

I have joked, having heard that Rodgers was a J! fan that at least maybe he watched me win something. Well, now, crap.
Twitter: @jfrumkin