LL65 (For the LLamas amongst us)

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

Woof
Swimming in the Jeopardy! Pool

Re: LL65 (For the LLamas amongst us)

Post by Woof »

reddpen wrote:
Today is my turn to get Ruttered. Not much chance I wangle a tie (congrats on yours) with only three right. (Entries closed 15 minutes ago.) Hoping for a BWA on #2, which I should have gotten. As for #5, I swear someone at work played that song on Friday, but damned if I could remember who did it.
Well, it was turn to be bomtr'd, my first loss of the young season. Giving up a 9(5) also dropped my DE by 100 points, but seriously Gene: Assisi? #FML. :shock:
This Is Kirk!
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by This Is Kirk! »

Just noticed EnglandB has a 1.000 DE going and he's STILL only in 17th place in Horizon A even with 26 TCA. Brutal!
gnash
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by gnash »

I'm not doing very well in matches this season, but I am currently leading the Pacific branch Sandra Trophy contest with a modestly respectable (as RQ would say) defensive efficiency of .952.

Of course, every time I announce the length of my current FJ streak, I miss the next one, so we know what will happen to my defense now.

(Edited to insert "Pacific branch" after seeing the post right above this one and figuring out what the table I saw really meant.)
Last edited by gnash on Wed May 27, 2015 10:33 am, edited 1 time in total.
skullturf
Married to a Jeopardy! Champion

Post by skullturf »

This Is Kirk! wrote:I managed to pull out "petiole" yesterday. Actually I wrote "pediole" so I was very happy to get credit. I knew I had heard the term before, but it took me quite a while to pull it from the memory vault. Always nice to get one that ended up being so difficult overall.
Did anyone else do what I did, and just tried to "make up" a word based on the etymology? I guessed "pedule".
jfrumkin
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by jfrumkin »

skullturf wrote:
This Is Kirk! wrote:I managed to pull out "petiole" yesterday. Actually I wrote "pediole" so I was very happy to get credit. I knew I had heard the term before, but it took me quite a while to pull it from the memory vault. Always nice to get one that ended up being so difficult overall.
Did anyone else do what I did, and just tried to "make up" a word based on the etymology? I guessed "pedule".
"miniped", also "zithaur" for dulcimer
Twitter: @jfrumkin
teapot37
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by teapot37 »

Apparently Don DeLillo and I run in completely different circles. I just looked over his bibliography and I've never heard of a single thing he's ever written.
Not many people can say they've lost four times on Jeopardy!.
gnash
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by gnash »

skullturf wrote:
Pediculum here.
gnash
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by gnash »

teapot37 wrote:Apparently Don DeLillo and I run in completely different circles. I just looked over his bibliography and I've never heard of a single thing he's ever written.
But that's how I got him! "I've never heard of any of these works! Who is an acclaimed living American novelist whose work I know nothing about? I can think of one..."
Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Post by Bamaman »

jfrumkin wrote:
skullturf wrote:
I also invented the miniped and had the mandolin, although it was a close one between it and the dulcimer. At least I still won.

I submitted my answers for today early this morning. The one thing about doing it early I hate is having to wait around all day to see how my opponent did.
tjconn728

Post by tjconn728 »

gnash wrote:
skullturf wrote:
Pediculum here.
Pedina. I found yesterday brutally hard. Only got 1 (Assisi), and Wiz Khalifa was the only other answer I had ever heard of. Guess that's why I'm down in D. Although I did take some solace in the overall low get rates yesterday.
Linear Gnome
One Miner Gal

Post by Linear Gnome »

gnash wrote:
skullturf wrote:
Pediculum here.
I tried pedicule.
econgator
Let's Go Mets!

Post by econgator »

Pedula (Caligula is "little boot", soo ....)
Woof

Post by Woof »

econgator wrote:Pedula (Caligula is "little boot", soo ....)
For me, it was "what part of a plant begins with ped-?" So, of course, I put down peduncle with nary a second thought. Bah!
TerrHeel
Sports Jeopardy! Champion

Post by TerrHeel »

Bamaman wrote:
jfrumkin wrote:
skullturf wrote:
I also invented the miniped and had the mandolin, although it was a close one between it and the dulcimer. At least I still won.

I submitted my answers for today early this morning. The one thing about doing it early I hate is having to wait around all day to see how my opponent did.
Same here. I've been submitting my answers around 9 a.m., and then it kills me to sit all day wondering whether I won or lost.
TheyCallMeMrKid

Post by TheyCallMeMrKid »

TerrHeel wrote:
Same here. I've been submitting my answers around 9 a.m., and then it kills me to sit all day wondering whether I won or lost.
I often put mine in around 6 a.m. before I leave to go to work. I find the waiting to see if I won or lost less stressful than the waiting to see what the right answers are.

I also found yesterday pretty hard. Only had 1 right, but managed to win 1(1)-0(1) vs. an opponent who got the same one right that I did. Made a big leap of faith that living in Boston might mean that he was Catholic, so assigned 0 to Francis of Assisi. Von Braun, Khalifa and dulcimer might have been gettable on another day, but they weren't coming to me yesterday.

I think I heard that Wiz Khalifa song on the radio 3 times while driving my daughter around yesterday afternoon (after I had already submitted).
Sheepin' it real.
bengland
Jeopardy! Toker

Post by bengland »

gnash wrote: But that's how I got him! "I've never heard of any of these works! Who is an acclaimed living American novelist whose work I know nothing about? I can think of one..."
My exact thought process also. I was so chuffed.
Last edited by bengland on Wed May 27, 2015 12:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.
bengland
Jeopardy! Toker

Post by bengland »

This Is Kirk! wrote:Just noticed EnglandB has a 1.000 DE going and he's STILL only in 17th place in Horizon A even with 26 TCA. Brutal!

My spectacular DE is due to what seems to me to be a ridiculous number of six packs put up by my opponents.
bengland
Jeopardy! Toker

Post by bengland »

Woof wrote:
econgator wrote:Pedula (Caligula is "little boot", soo ....)
For me, it was "what part of a plant begins with ped-?" So, of course, I put down peduncle with nary a second thought. Bah!
Mark, I'm surprised that a serious enophile such as you doesn't know that grapevine nutritional status is assessed with petiolar analysis. :mrgreen:
RandyG
Founder of the Royal House of JBoardie of the Month

Post by RandyG »

skullturf wrote:
mini-pedi
jjwaymee

Post by jjwaymee »

Yesterday was easily my worst one but fortunately my perfectly flawless defense combined with my opponent's perfectly flawed defense resulted in a 5(2)-1(2) victory.

Horizon R2 seems to be tougher than your average rookie rundle. I'm glad I get to miss facing fellow boardie HamiltonL.