LL65 (For the LLamas amongst us)

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

User avatar
This Is Kirk!
Jeopardy! Champion
Posts: 4862
Joined: Mon Dec 17, 2012 1:35 am
Location: Seattle

Re: LL65 (For the LLamas amongst us)

Post by This Is Kirk! » Thu Jun 04, 2015 11:43 am

dhkendall wrote:Amazed that Thorsten actually did expect us to know what seven in Chinese is, and my hat is off to whoever got it, however you got it.
Mandarin is the most widely spoken language in the world, so it seems fair game. I didn't get it, but being able to count to ten in Chinese does seem like a good thing to know!

User avatar
Woof
Swimming in the Jeopardy! Pool
Posts: 4162
Joined: Fri Jul 01, 2011 9:53 pm

Re: LL65 (For the LLamas amongst us)

Post by Woof » Thu Jun 04, 2015 11:53 am

teapot37 wrote:
alietr wrote:Me, too. Pulled out a 5(3)-5(4) tie. Total guess on qi. I know it as a Scrabble word, and had no idea what the rest of those words are. Nihao wasn't fitting in, so I threw in the only other Chinese word I knew. I'll take it.
I can count to 10 in Japanese, and I knew some of the numbers are the same between Chinese and Japanese, so I took a flyer and said shichi. No dice.
Right with you, Chris. It's frustrating when you know exactly what the question is asking for but have NFI what the correct answer is. Especially galling for me is knowing that my 10-year old son knows it cold. :oops:

User avatar
BigDaddyMatty
Save Me, Maggie!
Posts: 2982
Joined: Wed Jan 21, 2015 11:05 am
Location: Wherever I May Roam
Contact:

Re: LL65 (For the LLamas amongst us)

Post by BigDaddyMatty » Thu Jun 04, 2015 12:59 pm

teapot37 wrote:
alietr wrote:Me, too. Pulled out a 5(3)-5(4) tie. Total guess on qi. I know it as a Scrabble word, and had no idea what the rest of those words are. Nihao wasn't fitting in, so I threw in the only other Chinese word I knew. I'll take it.
I can count to 10 in Japanese, and I knew some of the numbers are the same between Chinese and Japanese, so I took a flyer and said shichi. No dice.
I use roughly the same logic, with similar results. In Japanese, depending on context, seven can be either shichi or nana. Given that all of the listed Chinese numbers were monosyllabic, I went for na. I'm sure Thorsten took one look and said, "nah."
skullturf wrote:Yeah, that was a weird one. Is there any reason from literature, popular culture, etc. that a non-Chinese speaker might be expected to know the Chinese word for "seven"?

For example, I know "mitsu" is Japanese for "three" (or a Japanese word for "three") because "Mitsubishi" means "three diamonds".
FTR, mitsu means three of something. The number by itself is san. Incidentally, the word for six of something is mutsu. This would cause hilarious confusion when, as a missionary in Japan, I would take advantage of Makudonarudo's occasional half-price cheeseburger promotion.

Me: Mutsu no chiizubaaga, o-negaishimasu.
80-pound Japanese cashier: Mitsu?
Me: Mutsu.
Her: Mitsu?
Me: (Holding up six fingers) Mutsu!
Her: (Astonished look)
Sprinkles are for winners.

tjconn728
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much
Posts: 630
Joined: Sun Mar 04, 2012 5:07 pm
Location: Hamden, CT

Re: LL65 (For the LLamas amongst us)

Post by tjconn728 » Thu Jun 04, 2015 1:01 pm

This Is Kirk! wrote:
dhkendall wrote:Amazed that Thorsten actually did expect us to know what seven in Chinese is, and my hat is off to whoever got it, however you got it.
Mandarin is the most widely spoken language in the world, so it seems fair game. I didn't get it, but being able to count to ten in Chinese does seem like a good thing to know!
In high school, one of my friends taught our whole group how to count to ten in Chinese. Unfortunately, I could only ever remember five and eight. So I knew what the question was asking for, I just wish Thorsten had left "bah" blank instead of "qi." My sister actually took a wild guess with "xi" and was credited for it, I'm assuming that because to a non-Chinese speaker, they could theoretically be pronounced the same.

User avatar
TheyCallMeMrKid
Swimming in the Jeopardy! Pool
Posts: 1151
Joined: Tue Apr 08, 2014 1:35 pm
Location: St. Louis, MO

Re: LL65 (For the LLamas amongst us)

Post by TheyCallMeMrKid » Thu Jun 04, 2015 1:44 pm

I had no clue on the Chinese numbers (wasn't even certain which language they were), and opponent's history in Language was pretty low, so felt good about assigning a 3 there. Opponent's surname looked African in origin to me. Now after researching, I know that his surname is Filipino. Would've been nice to know that before!

I lost 4(2)-2(3).
Sheepin' it real.

User avatar
Woof
Swimming in the Jeopardy! Pool
Posts: 4162
Joined: Fri Jul 01, 2011 9:53 pm

Re: LL65 (For the LLamas amongst us)

Post by Woof » Thu Jun 04, 2015 2:23 pm

BigDaddyMatty wrote:
teapot37 wrote:
alietr wrote:Me, too. Pulled out a 5(3)-5(4) tie. Total guess on qi. I know it as a Scrabble word, and had no idea what the rest of those words are. Nihao wasn't fitting in, so I threw in the only other Chinese word I knew. I'll take it.
I can count to 10 in Japanese, and I knew some of the numbers are the same between Chinese and Japanese, so I took a flyer and said shichi. No dice.
I use roughly the same logic, with similar results. In Japanese, depending on context, seven can be either shichi or nana. Given that all of the listed Chinese numbers were monosyllabic, I went for na. I'm sure Thorsten took one look and said, "nah."
skullturf wrote:Yeah, that was a weird one. Is there any reason from literature, popular culture, etc. that a non-Chinese speaker might be expected to know the Chinese word for "seven"?

For example, I know "mitsu" is Japanese for "three" (or a Japanese word for "three") because "Mitsubishi" means "three diamonds".
FTR, mitsu means three of something. The number by itself is san. Incidentally, the word for six of something is mutsu. This would cause hilarious confusion when, as a missionary in Japan, I would take advantage of Makudonarudo's occasional half-price cheeseburger promotion.

Me: Mutsu no chiizubaaga, o-negaishimasu.
80-pound Japanese cashier: Mitsu?
Me: Mutsu.
Her: Mitsu?
Me: (Holding up six fingers) Mutsu!
Her: (Astonished look)
Quite amusing. My Japanese roommate in graduate school referred to it as Makudonatado, or something that sounded very close it. No Royale with cheese, I suppose. :P

User avatar
gnash
Jeopardy! Champion
Posts: 1678
Joined: Fri Jul 01, 2011 9:24 am

Re: LL65 (For the LLamas amongst us)

Post by gnash » Thu Jun 04, 2015 2:25 pm

This Is Kirk! wrote:
dhkendall wrote:Amazed that Thorsten actually did expect us to know what seven in Chinese is, and my hat is off to whoever got it, however you got it.
Mandarin is the most widely spoken language in the world, so it seems fair game. I didn't get it, but being able to count to ten in Chinese does seem like a good thing to know!
I agree with Kirk. Knowing how to say 7 in Mandarin clearly seems like a higher priority than, say, knowing the capital of Tuvalu.

I tried this approach: Subaru means 7 stars. But Japanese for 7 is shichi (God bless you, Mr. Kurosawa!), which is not part of this word... so maybe it's a term borrowed from Chinese? So I tried "su".

-- A boy named Seven (well, telemarketers think so)

User avatar
goforthetie
(username no longer operative)
Posts: 1336
Joined: Tue Oct 18, 2011 5:01 pm

Re: LL65 (For the LLamas amongst us)

Post by goforthetie » Thu Jun 04, 2015 2:57 pm

TheyCallMeMrKid wrote:I had no clue on the Chinese numbers (wasn't even certain which language they were), and opponent's history in Language was pretty low, so felt good about assigning a 3 there. Opponent's surname looked African in origin to me. Now after researching, I know that his surname is Filipino. Would've been nice to know that before!
FYI, Filipinos of non-Chinese origin (which seems likely given your thoughts on the surname) probably don't know Mandarin at rates appreciably higher than other LLers. Heck, even Filipinos who are ethnically Chinese are unlikely to be fluent in Mandarin.

User avatar
econgator
Let's Go Mets!
Posts: 8488
Joined: Fri Jul 01, 2011 10:32 am

Re: LL65 (For the LLamas amongst us)

Post by econgator » Thu Jun 04, 2015 5:17 pm

This Is Kirk! wrote:
dhkendall wrote:Amazed that Thorsten actually did expect us to know what seven in Chinese is, and my hat is off to whoever got it, however you got it.
Mandarin is the most widely spoken language in the world, so it seems fair game. I didn't get it, but being able to count to ten in Chinese does seem like a good thing to know!
Actually, I'm more wondering about Mike Reno. Loverboy simply wasn't that big. Why would Thorsten assume that we know who the lead singer was? Granted, 78 % of us didn't, although I would wager that 80+% of that 78% had "(some band) & Heart" for their answer.

User avatar
BigDaddyMatty
Save Me, Maggie!
Posts: 2982
Joined: Wed Jan 21, 2015 11:05 am
Location: Wherever I May Roam
Contact:

Re: LL65 (For the LLamas amongst us)

Post by BigDaddyMatty » Thu Jun 04, 2015 5:30 pm

econgator wrote:
This Is Kirk! wrote:
dhkendall wrote:Amazed that Thorsten actually did expect us to know what seven in Chinese is, and my hat is off to whoever got it, however you got it.
Mandarin is the most widely spoken language in the world, so it seems fair game. I didn't get it, but being able to count to ten in Chinese does seem like a good thing to know!
Actually, I'm more wondering about Mike Reno. Loverboy simply wasn't that big. Why would Thorsten assume that we know who the lead singer was? Granted, 78 % of us didn't, although I would wager that 80+% of that 78% had "(some band) & Heart" for their answer.
For some of us, of course, this is wheelhouse info. Such is the beauty of LL. In any event, it's not as if Loverboy was some obscure band. They had 9 Top 40 hits and sold more than 10,000,000 albums in the US.

[EDIT:] Also, this is sort of begging the question, as the aim of this track was to re-launch the stalling fortunes of both bands. That it worked for one and not the other is a big part of the reason that Heart is so much more well-known today than is Loverboy.
Sprinkles are for winners.

User avatar
dhkendall
Pursuing the Dream
Posts: 8774
Joined: Fri Jul 01, 2011 11:49 am
Location: Winnipeg, Manitoba
Contact:

Re: LL65 (For the LLamas amongst us)

Post by dhkendall » Thu Jun 04, 2015 5:44 pm

BigDaddyMatty wrote:
econgator wrote:
This Is Kirk! wrote:
dhkendall wrote:Amazed that Thorsten actually did expect us to know what seven in Chinese is, and my hat is off to whoever got it, however you got it.
Mandarin is the most widely spoken language in the world, so it seems fair game. I didn't get it, but being able to count to ten in Chinese does seem like a good thing to know!
Actually, I'm more wondering about Mike Reno. Loverboy simply wasn't that big. Why would Thorsten assume that we know who the lead singer was? Granted, 78 % of us didn't, although I would wager that 80+% of that 78% had "(some band) & Heart" for their answer.
For some of us, of course, this is wheelhouse info. Such is the beauty of LL. In any event, it's not as if Loverboy was some obscure band. They had 9 Top 40 hits and sold more than 10,000,000 albums in the US.

[EDIT:] Also, this is sort of begging the question, as the aim of this track was to re-launch the stalling fortunes of both bands. That it worked for one and not the other is a big part of the reason that Heart is so much more well-known today than is Loverboy.
Unless if you're Canadian. I just saw a sign for Loverboy performing at a bar in my neighbourhood.

Wait, that probably proves your point.
"Jeopardy! is two parts luck and one part luck" - Me

"The way to win on Jeopardy is to be a rabidly curious, information-omnivorous person your entire life." - Ken Jennings

Follow my progress game by game since 2012

tjconn728
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much
Posts: 630
Joined: Sun Mar 04, 2012 5:07 pm
Location: Hamden, CT

Re: LL65 (For the LLamas amongst us)

Post by tjconn728 » Thu Jun 04, 2015 5:51 pm

econgator wrote:
This Is Kirk! wrote:
dhkendall wrote:Amazed that Thorsten actually did expect us to know what seven in Chinese is, and my hat is off to whoever got it, however you got it.
Mandarin is the most widely spoken language in the world, so it seems fair game. I didn't get it, but being able to count to ten in Chinese does seem like a good thing to know!
Actually, I'm more wondering about Mike Reno. Loverboy simply wasn't that big. Why would Thorsten assume that we know who the lead singer was? Granted, 78 % of us didn't, although I would wager that 80+% of that 78% had "(some band) & Heart" for their answer.
Hah, I assumed that, given the names in question, most of the wrong answers included Wilson Philips.

User avatar
This Is Kirk!
Jeopardy! Champion
Posts: 4862
Joined: Mon Dec 17, 2012 1:35 am
Location: Seattle

Re: LL65 (For the LLamas amongst us)

Post by This Is Kirk! » Thu Jun 04, 2015 6:08 pm

BigDaddyMatty wrote:
econgator wrote: Actually, I'm more wondering about Mike Reno. Loverboy simply wasn't that big. Why would Thorsten assume that we know who the lead singer was? Granted, 78 % of us didn't, although I would wager that 80+% of that 78% had "(some band) & Heart" for their answer.
For some of us, of course, this is wheelhouse info. Such is the beauty of LL. In any event, it's not as if Loverboy was some obscure band. They had 9 Top 40 hits and sold more than 10,000,000 albums in the US.
Yeah, they were huge, but for a fairly short time span. If you weren't listening to pop music in the early to mid '80s I would imagine you'd have no idea who Mike Reno is/was.

User avatar
Droidysseus
Contributor
Posts: 25
Joined: Sat Jan 24, 2015 12:19 pm
Location: TX

Re: LL65 (For the LLamas amongst us)

Post by Droidysseus » Thu Jun 04, 2015 6:15 pm

econgator wrote:
This Is Kirk! wrote:
dhkendall wrote:Amazed that Thorsten actually did expect us to know what seven in Chinese is, and my hat is off to whoever got it, however you got it.
Mandarin is the most widely spoken language in the world, so it seems fair game. I didn't get it, but being able to count to ten in Chinese does seem like a good thing to know!
Actually, I'm more wondering about Mike Reno. Loverboy simply wasn't that big. Why would Thorsten assume that we know who the lead singer was? Granted, 78 % of us didn't, although I would wager that 80+% of that 78% had "(some band) & Heart" for their answer.
Child of the 80's here. Loverboy was the only band where I could recall a singer that sounded enough like that to put them down.

For the Chinese counting, I know I put xi, not qi. Yet I was given credit for a correct answer. Not that it would've mattered in that match as I won 9(5)-0(0).

User avatar
schoe
Loyal Jeopardista
Posts: 223
Joined: Mon Oct 06, 2014 8:55 pm

Re: LL65 (For the LLamas amongst us)

Post by schoe » Thu Jun 04, 2015 6:20 pm

jjwaymee wrote:
RandyG wrote:
jjwaymee wrote:So much confusion when I read Thorsten's email this morning. I got credit for 3 correct instead of the 2 that I answered correctly yesterday. I lost 3(3)-4(4) but moved up from 6th place to 5th place. :roll: Apparently "pear" was an alternate answer to the fruit brandy question.
Email? PM? I haven't seen anything. Earlier this morning I sent a note to Thorsten saying that I had incorrectly been given credit for "pears," which was a WAG.
I was just referring to the auto-generated email that reports yesterday's match outcome. My subsequent research was looking at the message board thread concerning Calvados to discover that "pear" was also acceptable.
Pears in addition to apples saved me from my first-ever only-one-right day. (On days with two music questions, I'm basically starting with a ceiling of 4 and working down from there... :P)

User avatar
econgator
Let's Go Mets!
Posts: 8488
Joined: Fri Jul 01, 2011 10:32 am

Re: LL65 (For the LLamas amongst us)

Post by econgator » Thu Jun 04, 2015 6:32 pm

This Is Kirk! wrote:
BigDaddyMatty wrote:
econgator wrote: Actually, I'm more wondering about Mike Reno. Loverboy simply wasn't that big. Why would Thorsten assume that we know who the lead singer was? Granted, 78 % of us didn't, although I would wager that 80+% of that 78% had "(some band) & Heart" for their answer.
For some of us, of course, this is wheelhouse info. Such is the beauty of LL. In any event, it's not as if Loverboy was some obscure band. They had 9 Top 40 hits and sold more than 10,000,000 albums in the US.
Yeah, they were huge, but for a fairly short time span. If you weren't listening to pop music in the early to mid '80s I would imagine you'd have no idea who Mike Reno is/was.
I was, but don't ever recall hearing his name. I could tell you then names of the lead singers of The Cars, REO Speedwagon, Toto, Boston, and many others, but Loverboy's just never hit my radar.

User avatar
This Is Kirk!
Jeopardy! Champion
Posts: 4862
Joined: Mon Dec 17, 2012 1:35 am
Location: Seattle

Re: LL65 (For the LLamas amongst us)

Post by This Is Kirk! » Thu Jun 04, 2015 6:43 pm

econgator wrote:I could tell you then names of the lead singers of The Cars
You mean Ben Orr? :)

For some reason everyone remembers Rick Ocasek as the Cars singer, but Ben Orr sang lots of their hits, too.

User avatar
econgator
Let's Go Mets!
Posts: 8488
Joined: Fri Jul 01, 2011 10:32 am

Re: LL65 (For the LLamas amongst us)

Post by econgator » Thu Jun 04, 2015 7:35 pm

This Is Kirk! wrote:For some reason everyone remembers Rick Ocasek as the Cars singer
Two words: Paulina Porizkova. ;)

User avatar
TheyCallMeMrKid
Swimming in the Jeopardy! Pool
Posts: 1151
Joined: Tue Apr 08, 2014 1:35 pm
Location: St. Louis, MO

Re: LL65 (For the LLamas amongst us)

Post by TheyCallMeMrKid » Thu Jun 04, 2015 9:10 pm

econgator wrote:
This Is Kirk! wrote:For some reason everyone remembers Rick Ocasek as the Cars singer
Two words: Paulina Porizkova. ;)
I was going to say it was because of the videos, particularly You Might Think and Drive, but, ok, Paulina, too.
Sheepin' it real.

User avatar
Dr. J
Decade Battler and Mustache Maker
Posts: 566
Joined: Fri Sep 28, 2012 1:35 pm

Re: LL65 (For the LLamas amongst us)

Post by Dr. J » Thu Jun 04, 2015 11:58 pm

Knowing Mike Reno might be a gender thing...if you were a girl of a certain age in the 1980s (as I was), you KNEW who the hottie with the bandanna and leather pants was: he was your Loverboy! That was an instaget for me <insert heart and smoochie emoticon>

Post Reply