LL65 (For the LLamas amongst us)

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Re: LL65 (For the LLamas amongst us)

Post by Bamaman »

alietr wrote:
seaborgium wrote:It's a fairly current song with a silly title, guessed when the question asked for one over a century old. What's not to get?
Haven't heard of the song, but yeah, I'd have left the BWA blank. I'm definitely not Thorsten.
I have never heard of that song either. Even after Seaborg explained it, I still didn't think it was that funny. I guess Llama humor just flies past me as most of the BWAs rarely amuse me.
TheyCallMeMrKid
Swimming in the Jeopardy! Pool

Post by TheyCallMeMrKid »

Bamaman wrote:
alietr wrote:
seaborgium wrote:It's a fairly current song with a silly title, guessed when the question asked for one over a century old. What's not to get?
Haven't heard of the song, but yeah, I'd have left the BWA blank. I'm definitely not Thorsten.
I have never heard of that song either. Even after Seaborg explained it, I still didn't think it was that funny. I guess Llama humor just flies past me as most of the BWAs rarely amuse me.
I've been in LL for a few seasons now, and I would say that the candidates selected for BWA this season have been the least amusing. I wonder if Thorsten feels a little pressed to have a certain number nominated by the end of the season for award voting purposes.
Sheepin' it real.
UniquePerspective
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by UniquePerspective »

And ThreeIfByAir gets his revenge on me.

I was on the fence about whether to give you a lower or a higher score on the Queen question, as I wondered whether you were in England still at the time of that concert. I just sort of went with my gut and also based it off of what I remember to be a fairly low pop music percentage. My gut was wrong, it seems. Ah well, it happens.

And my journey down to E Rundle further continues. I feel like it's almost an embarrassment to Jboard to go down to E, but it is what it is.
alietr
Site Admin

Post by alietr »

Missing that one question was beyond the Pale ...
alietr
Site Admin

Post by alietr »

I'll ask again: "Icy Hot Stuntaz"? "Crucial Taunt"? Translations, please. I can't be the only one they're flying right by ...
CheezeWhiz

Post by CheezeWhiz »

alietr wrote:I'll ask again: "Icy Hot Stuntaz"? "Crucial Taunt"? Translations, please. I can't be the only one they're flying right by ...
Don't know about the first one, but Crucial Taunt is the name of Tia Carerre's band in Wayne's World, so it makes sense in relation to the question.
-CheezeWhiz - The Wizard of Cheeze
sarah0114
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by sarah0114 »

alietr
Site Admin

Post by alietr »

To quote the Queen: We are not amused.
dhkendall
Pursuing the Dream

Post by dhkendall »

Mad props to Thorsten, though, for even remembering that was a thing.
"Jeopardy! is two parts luck and one part luck" - Me

"The way to win on Jeopardy is to be a rabidly curious, information-omnivorous person your entire life." - Ken Jennings

Follow my progress game by game since 2012
jfrumkin
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by jfrumkin »

alietr wrote:Missing that one question was beyond the Pale ...
My coworker who is a LLama emailed me to lament the loss of his Jew card on missing that question.

I'm annoyed that I got 5 right, the one I missed was in my best category where I have like a .940, and I was given 2 points on it, resulting in a 7(5)-7(5) tie. I totally get giving the Queen question 0, but my TV score deserves at worst a 1! (I'm surprised only 77% got Queen -- all I needed to see was Wayne's World and it was a no-brainer.)

And thanks to what little I remember of my three-years-ago Jeopardy cramming for Gauguin = islands, Cezanne = still life.
Twitter: @jfrumkin
This Is Kirk!
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by This Is Kirk! »

jfrumkin wrote:And thanks to what little I remember of my three-years-ago Jeopardy cramming for Gauguin = islands, Cezanne = still life.
The subject matter actually made me question Cezanne a little. I'm more familiar with his landscape paintings (Mont Ste-Victoire, etc.). But it looked like Cezanne's style to me, so I stuck with it.

I thought the Queen question was easy, too, but if you aren't familiar with "Wayne's World" the difficulty would definitely jump considerably.
TheyCallMeMrKid

Post by TheyCallMeMrKid »

jfrumkin wrote:And thanks to what little I remember of my three-years-ago Jeopardy cramming for Gauguin = islands, Cezanne = still life.
If only I had that same memory. I didn't think it looked like Gauguin, but there were no more post-Impressionist painter names coming to mind. :roll:
Sheepin' it real.
Woof

Post by Woof »

TheyCallMeMrKid wrote:
If only I had that same memory. I didn't think it looked like Gauguin, but there were no more post-Impressionist painter names coming to mind. :roll:
For post-Impressionists, you get a fairly short list: Van Gogh, Gaugin, Cezanne and maybe Matisse.
skullturf
Married to a Jeopardy! Champion

Post by skullturf »

Did any of you make the same mistake as me on Question #1? My thought process was "Some French names, but the number of names is larger than the number of Musketeers... Les Miserables?"
Vanya
The support is non-zero

Post by Vanya »

This Is Kirk! wrote: The subject matter actually made me question Cezanne a little. I'm more familiar with his landscape paintings (Mont Ste-Victoire, etc.). But it looked like Cezanne's style to me, so I stuck with it.

I thought the Queen question was easy, too, but if you aren't familiar with "Wayne's World" the difficulty would definitely jump considerably.
While I, remembering Aerosmith's numerous appearances in the SNL sketch, went that way.
jeff6286

Post by jeff6286 »

alietr wrote:I'll ask again: "Icy Hot Stuntaz"? "Crucial Taunt"? Translations, please. I can't be the only one they're flying right by ...
You finally know how TPH feels 230 nights per year.

*ducks*
alietr
Site Admin

Post by alietr »

jeff6286 wrote:
You finally know how TPH feels 230 nights per year.

*ducks*
So wrong. On so many levels.

You may find your login doesn't work for some reason ...
bomtr
Just a Man Like Any Other

Post by bomtr »

skullturf wrote:Did any of you make the same mistake as me on Question #1? My thought process was "Some French names, but the number of names is larger than the number of Musketeers... Les Miserables?"
You are not alone.
alietr
Site Admin

Post by alietr »

I was bouncing among the Musketeers, the Argonauts, the Merry Men, and sailors on the Iliad. Went with the Merry Men because there was an English-sounding name in there. The Round Table never occurred to me.
teapot37

Post by teapot37 »

I flipped the KosmanKoin between Round Table and Musketeers and came up on the wrong side.
Not many people can say they've lost four times on Jeopardy!.