Friday, May 15, 2015 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

Archivists
Fan-created archive of games and players

Friday, May 15, 2015 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

Post by Archivists »

Game Recap for Show #7070, 2015-05-15

2015 Celebrity Jeopardy! game 5.

CONTESTANTS
Penn Jillette, a magician and illusionist from Las Vegas
Cynthia Rowley, a designer from Project Runway and Design Star
Zachary Quinto, an actor from 24, Heroes, American Horror Story, Star Trek, and The Glass Menagerie

OPENING REMARKS
Alex: Thank you, Johnny Gilbert. Thank you, ladies and gentlemen. And welcome, everyone, to Celebrity Jeopardy!--the program in which brave celebrities put their egos on the line as they try to win a lot of money for their favorite charities. Penn, Cynthia, and Zachary, we are delighted to have you with us today. Good luck. Let's go to work. Here is the Jeopardy! Round. One Daily Double, as you know, in this round. And here are the categories for you...

JEOPARDY! ROUND CATEGORIES
POP CULTURE (4/5)
THAT'S SWELL (3/5)
FINE FOOD (4/5)
VULCANOLOGY (3/3)
CONTINENTS BY COUNTRY (0/0)
"BULL" ____ (4/5, including 1 correct Daily Double) (Penn: I know about that!)

THE RIGHTS & THE WRONGS
Cynthia: 7 R (including 1 DD), 0 W
Zachary: 6 R, 0 W
Penn: 5 R, 2 W

Clues revealed: 23
Triple Stumpers: 5
Jeopardy! Round Potential Lach Trash: $4,000

JEOPARDY! ROUND DAILY DOUBLE
Cynthia found the Daily Double on the 6th clue. Zachary had $600, Cynthia had $800, and Penn was at $400. Cynthia wagered $500.

"BULL" ____ $800: 2-word term for a railed, super-high-speed passenger transport like the shinkansen in Japan

SCORES AT THE FIRST BREAK
Cynthia: $1,700
Zachary: $1,600
Penn: $200

CONTESTANT INTERVIEWS

Alex: I am so happy that Penn Jillette and not his partner is a contestant on our program today. It's going to make this next little segment so much less stressful for me. Penn Jillette, I've always regarded you as a modern renaissance man.

Penn: Well, look at the score and say that again.

[Laughter]

Alex: Ok--don't worry about that. But your imagination, your humor, your curiosity, which extends to classical art. I loved your documentary on Vermeer.

Penn: Oh, thank you.

Alex: Now, tell me about your charity, please.

Penn: I'm playing for Opportunity Village, which is a charity in Las Vegas for people with intellectual disabilities that will bring them into the mainstream, let them have jobs, not warehouse them. And it was Elvis' favorite charity, so if you're not rooting for me, you're not rooting for Elvis, and that means you're against North America.

Alex: Yeah.

[Laughter]

Alex: And you're giving back, because you and your partner have been starring in Vegas, since, what, 1975?

Penn: Yeah, well, we've been--we've been working since 1975. We've been in Vegas since the early '90s.

Alex: Yeah. Okay, good.

Alex: Cynthia Rowley, I try to keep up with the fashion world.

Cynthia: I can tell.

Alex: There are two things going on now that are of particular interest to me. One's a bit of a revolution. In the last few months, women have tried to get away from the waiflike models that they see on the runways of Milan and Paris. That's a good thing, right?

Cynthia: It's a good thing, yeah. Healthy is good. You don't have to be--

Alex: Reed-thin.

Cynthia: It's--it's not about weight. It's about a healthy lifestyle.

Alex: And feeling good about yourself.

Cynthia: And feeling good, yeah.

Alex: Now your charity, please.

Cynthia: I am splitting between two charities. One is the Pubic Art Fund, which puts free art installations in public parks and spaces in New York City. And the other is the FEED Foundation, uh, whose mission is to create beautiful products that are sold and help feed the world.

Alex: Okay, good.

[Applause]

Alex: Truly good charity.

Alex: Zachary Quinto.

Zachary: Alex.

Alex: I miss the pointy ears.

Zachary: Oh, you do?

Alex: But I don't want to talk about that. I saw you on Bill Maher's television program a couple of months ago, and it occurred to me that in addition to your accomplishments in showbiz, you're very knowledgeable about politics and charities. Is that something that might be an interest to you?

Zachary: Oh, a political career?

Alex: Yeah.

Zachary: Uh, I think not.

Alex: Why not?

Zachary: I don't know. It's just too much lip service and I think the system is too corrupted and broken at this point. I feel like my energies are better served elsewhere, I hope.

Alex: Tell me about your charity.

Zachary: I'm playing for Direct Relief, which is an amazing charity that provides medical assistance, uh, to countries that have been affected by poverty or a natural disaster or civil unrest, and it's one of the top-rated, uh, charities for transparency and for direct donations. So if you give a dollar, that dollar is going straight to medical supplies, which is, uh, uh, really important, I think, in this world.

Alex: You bet it is. Congratulations.

Zachary: Thank you.

TRIPLE STUMPERS IN THE JEOPARDY! ROUND
"BULL" ____ $1000: The Progressive Party of 1912 was popularly known by this name, from a line uttered by Theodore Roosevelt
(Penn: What is the Bully Party?)
(Alex: What is [*]? Though Teddy did say "Bully".)

THAT'S SWELL $400: In 1994 this woman officially opened the England-France "Chunnel", once thought impossible

THAT'S SWELL $800: After half a century, this island nation & the U.S. are in talks to restore diplomatic relations

POP CULTURE $1000: Emma Thompson introduced Hugh Laurie to this comedy partner, also the host of a British TV show called "QI"
(Penn: Um, who is--I just blanked at his name. Um... uh...)
(Alex: Ooh, you took long--)
(Penn: [*]--who is [*]?)
(Alex: Yeah, but you took too long. Sorry, Penn.)
(Penn: Oh, okay.)
(Alex: Back to Zachary.)
(Penn: And he's a friend of mine.)
(Alex: You got it right, though.)

FINE FOOD $800: As you can see, this traditional roast beef accompaniment is not what we'd normally call a pudding

SCORES AT THE END OF THE JEOPARDY! ROUND
Zachary: $3,400
Cynthia: $3,300
Penn: $200
Archivists
Fan-created archive of games and players

Re: Friday, May 15, 2015 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

Post by Archivists »

DOUBLE JEOPARDY! ROUND CATEGORIES
THE PEN IS MIGHTIER (5/5, including 1 correct Daily Double)
THE STAR OF OSCAR'S BEST PICTURE (5/5) (Alex: We'll give you the star.)
ON THE RUNWAY (5/5)
QUOTABLE QUOTES (5/5)
HE GREW UP TO BE PRESIDENT (2/3)
QUINT-O-SENTIAL (3/5)

THE RIGHTS & THE WRONGS
Penn: 13 R (including 1 DD), 0 W
Zachary: 8 R (including 1 rebound), 2 W
Cynthia: 4 R (including 1 rebound), 1 W

Clues revealed: 28
Triple Stumpers: 3
Double Jeopardy! Round Potential Lach Trash: $3,600

FIRST DOUBLE JEOPARDY! ROUND DAILY DOUBLE
Penn snagged the next Daily Double on the 13th clue. Zachary had $6,600, Cynthia had $1,700, and Penn was at $7,400. Penn wagered $3,400.

THE PEN IS MIGHTIER $1600: In an 1851 novel, this character is monomaniacal, blasphemous, 1 for 2 in the legs department & ultimately doomed
(Penn: I love you! What is Moby-Dick? Oh, no--[*]! What is [*]?)
(Alex: Thank you for correcting yourself so quickly.)
[Penn walks out from behind his lectern, over to the side of the lecterns at the front of the stage, puts his head down on his lectern, and walks back again.]

TRIPLE STUMPERS IN THE DOUBLE JEOPARDY! ROUND
QUINT-O-SENTIAL $400: The Torah has 5 books; this is the first
(Zachary: What is the Talmud?)

QUINT-O-SENTIAL $1200: Arthur Andersen of the "Big 5" in this profession turned out to be cooking Enron's books

HE GREW UP TO BE PRESIDENT $2000: In 1924, at the age of 15, he graduated from his Texas high school, then worked as a grape picker
[The end-of-round signal sounds.]

SCORES ENTERING FINAL JEOPARDY!
Penn: $18,800
Zachary: $11,400
Cynthia: $5,300

FINAL JEOPARDY! CATEGORY
CELEBRITY MEMOIRS

VENUSIAN MONOLOGUES/MARTIAN CHRONICLES
Crush for first place.
Penn: Wager $4,001 to cover Zachary, but no more than $8,199 so as not to fall behind Cynthia's doubled score.
Zachary: You have the hope of surpassing Penn if you come up with the correct response. Bet at least $7,401 to force Penn to wager to win; but if you're intent on holding on to second place, wager no more than $799 to protect your second place position from being usurped by Cynthia.
Cynthia: Unfortunately, your score is less than the difference between the scores of the first and second place players, so unless they both blunder, you're competing for second place and have no hopes of first. Wager as much as you desire, but remember, you'll have better chances of advancing to second place if you have a larger sum left over on a Triple Stumper.

FINAL JEOPARDY! CLUE
Memoirs by Righteous Brothers singer Bill Medley & this late actor share the title "The Time of My Life"

FINAL SCORES
Cynthia: $5,300 - $2,000 = $3,300 (Who i) (2nd place)
Zachary: $11,400 - $11,400 = $0 (Who was jason Robards.) (3rd place)
Penn: $18,800 - $5,000 = $13,800 (Who is Leonard Nimoy?) (Winner)
(Alex: This was a little tough, but if you remembered the film Dirty Dancing, it would have helped immensely.)
(Penn: But I still win, so who cares?)
(Penn: [To the audience, upon winning] You call that applause?! You call that applause?!)

Total Potential Lach Trash: $7,600

GAME DYNAMICS

CORYAT SCORES
Penn: $17,000, 18 R (including 1 DD), 2 W
Zachary: $11,400, 14 R, 2 W
Cynthia: $5,600, 11 R (including 1 DD), 1 W
Combined Coryat: $34,000

BATTING AVERAGES
Penn: 18/59 = .305
Zachary: 14/58 = .241
Cynthia: 11/59 = .186
Team: 43/63 = .683

MISCELLANEOUS INTERESTING CLUES
"BULL" ____ $200: Relief pitchers warm up there
(Penn: [Selecting the clue] I'll take, uh, "BULL" [bleep] for $200.)
[Laughter]
(Alex: Uh, all right.)

THAT'S SWELL $1000: This Londoner, the first black model on the cover of Time, established fashion for relief in 2005
(Alex: She is the one, with a minute to go.)

FINE FOOD $1000: Columbus was a fan of these, also a generic Italian term for cookies, because they resisted mold on voyages
[The end-of-round signal sounds.]

QUINT-O-SENTIAL $1600: The MPAA's 5 movie ratings are G, PG, PG-13, R & this one
(Cynthia: What is X?)

QUOTABLE QUOTES $1600: This football coach is known for the motto "Winning isn't everything. It's the only thing"

HE GREW UP TO BE PRESIDENT $400: At Eureka College, he was an athlete as well as an actor & student body president

ON THE RUNWAY $400: My winnings are in the overhead bin as I sit on the runway of the airport in this city, 5757 Wayne Newton Blvd.
(Penn: [Protesting at being beaten at the buzzer] I--I had it.)

THE STAR OF OSCAR'S BEST PICTURE $800: 1990:
Kevin Costner
(Zachary: What is Field of Dreams?)

THE STAR OF OSCAR'S BEST PICTURE $400: 1976:
Sylvester Stallone
(Alex: A minute to go now.)

CORRECT RESPONSES
the bullet train
the Bull Moose Party
Queen Elizabeth II
Cuba
Stephen Fry
Yorkshire pudding
Ahab
Genesis
accounting
Lyndon Baines Johnson
Patrick Swayze
the bullpen
Naomi Campbell
biscotti
NC-17
Vince Lombardi
Ronald Reagan
Las Vegas
Dances with Wolves
Rocky
jeff6286
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by jeff6286 »

Celebrity Memoirs
Memoirs by Righteous Brothers singer Bill Medley & this late actor share the title "The Time of my Life".

Spoiler
Who is Patrick Swayze? Cynthia had no guess; Zachary said Jason Robards; Penn said Leonard Nimoy.

Penn Jillette: $18,800-$5,000=$13,800...wins $50,000 for charity
Zachary Quinto: $11,400-$11,400=$0
Cynthia Rowley: $5,300-$2,000=$3,300
Last edited by jeff6286 on Fri May 15, 2015 9:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Post by Bamaman »

For the first half, I thought Penn was going to prove us all wrong by being a complete flop. Then he turned it on in the second round to pull away. Overall, though, I thought he was a big disappointment as I expected a deeper knowledge base from him.

Are players normally allowed to correct themselves like that on Daily Doubles? He caught a big break there.

While Penn wound up winning, he was horrible to watch. If he had been on the same episode as Bellamy we might not have finished half the board with the way they both took forever to pick a clue.

I had gotten eleven FJs in a row before today. That streak came to a crashing end with that one.
dhkendall
Pursuing the Dream

Post by dhkendall »

Bamaman wrote:For the first half, I thought Penn was going to prove us all wrong by being a complete flop. Then he turned it on in the second round to pull away. Overall, though, I thought he was a big disappointment as I expected a deeper knowledge base from him.

Are players normally allowed to correct themselves like that on Daily Doubles? He caught a big break there.

While Penn wound up winning, he was horrible to watch. If he had been on the same episode as Bellamy we might not have finished half the board with the way they both took forever to pick a clue.

I had gotten eleven FJs in a row before today. That streak came to a crashing end with that one.
Indeed, I was quite disappointed by Penn, especially since I learned that he was coached by Bob Harris. Glad that he won, but if there can be a Pyrrhic victory on J!, this was one of those.

Oh well, back to regular games tomorrow. (Thanks a lot, Monday, for getting my hopes up for this week!)
"Jeopardy! is two parts luck and one part luck" - Me

"The way to win on Jeopardy is to be a rabidly curious, information-omnivorous person your entire life." - Ken Jennings

Follow my progress game by game since 2012
countyguy
Vacuously Undefeated on J!

Post by countyguy »

I am going to be the first person in the history of JBoard (unless someone else does it before me) to check the box of shame in a Celeb Week FJ! poll. :(

However, there has only been one other celeb week since JBoard started, which makes it both less embarrassing and easy to fact-check.
Abraxas

Post by Abraxas »

What a great comeback by Penn after being in a distant third at the end of the first round. I had 38 correct responses including four triple stumpers: Bull Moose Party, Queen Elizabeth II, Cuba, and accounting. I didn't get FJ; I think this one will poll low.
econgator
Let's Go Mets!

Post by econgator »

I got Swayze, but had zero confidence in the answer. Thankfully, I couldn't come up with anyone else.
mungar
Valued Contributor

Post by mungar »

It'll be nice to be back to regular games next week.

Another celeb week instaget FJ. Not sure how that's a triple stumper.

Makes the Tuesday FJ really feels like an outlier with how easy the other 4 were this week, although maybe that one was easy too and just hard for me lol
mxc_takeshi

Post by mxc_takeshi »

39 right.

Pop (5), Swell (4), Food (1), Vulcan (3), Country (N/A :roll: ), "Bull" (4)
Pen (4), Oscar (5), Runway (5), Quote (2), Pres (3), Quint (3)

Lach Trash: "Bull Moose", "Elizabeth II", "Cuba", "Genesis", "accounting"

Not an instant answer, but I got it eventually with the Dirty Dancing link.

I predicted Penn would win, but I thought he would be more dominant.
dhkendall
Pursuing the Dream

Post by dhkendall »

econgator wrote:I got Swayze, but had zero confidence in the answer. Thankfully, I couldn't come up with anyone else.
Be lucky you didn't have "Jennifer Warnes" stuck in your head. :oops:

"The way to win on Jeopardy is to be a rabidly curious, information-omnivorous person your entire life." - Ken Jennings

floridagator

Post by floridagator »

It's righteous that I mentioned the Big 5 in my disquisition on Tuesday's broadcast, and three days later it comes up in a clue.
viewtopic.php?f=1&t=2823#p166288
Bamaman wrote:Are players normally allowed to correct themselves like that on Daily Doubles? He caught a big break there.
Players can always correct themselves before AT rules them wrong.
Last edited by floridagator on Fri May 15, 2015 8:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.
I'd rather cuddle then have sex. If you're into grammar, you'll understand.
zakharov

Post by zakharov »

Never heard a flat-out bleep on Jeopardy before..
4-time pool swimmer - last audition June 2019
Follow me on Twitter @JakeMHS
Category 13
Wagering Viking

Post by Category 13 »

Bamaman wrote: While Penn wound up winning, he was horrible to watch. If he had been on the same episode as Bellamy we might not have finished half the board with the way they both took forever to pick a clue.
The fashion designer lady in the middle took longer to select than Penn.
If not for her, we could have seen all the boy President clues, which I was greatly disappointed at missing out on. I got the Johnson TS.

I didn't notice Alex having a frog in his throat, which had 'gone away' on Tuesday and 'come back' for Wednesday & Thursday's matches.
Winchell Factor
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by Winchell Factor »

Bamaman wrote:For the first half, I thought Penn was going to prove us all wrong by being a complete flop. Then he turned it on in the second round to pull away. Overall, though, I thought he was a big disappointment as I expected a deeper knowledge base from him.

I know it's a minority position, but nothing here was a surprise to me.

But, to be fair, I don't think Penn Jillette is a big fan of mine, either.
Category 13
Wagering Viking

Post by Category 13 »

zakharov wrote:Never heard a flat-out bleep on Jeopardy before..
I'm thinkin' that was put in there purely for entertainment value, although I'm sure he really did say Bull S**t.
Later, when the woman celeb missed FJ, she cursed and they edited it out silently.
Abraxas

Post by Abraxas »

Category 13 wrote: I didn't notice Alex having a frog in his throat, which had 'gone away' on Tuesday and 'come back' for Wednesday & Thursday's matches.
Someone mentioned in an earlier game thread this week that the Celebrity Jeopardy! games were taped on three separate days. So the Monday, Wednesday and Thursday "frog-in-throat" games may have all been taped on the same day.
sarisson

Post by sarisson »

I had a Coryat of $36800 and 42 right, including Final. Really surprised that three FJ's this week were triple stumpers. There was no excuse for Genesis to have been a triple stumper; the Talmud is its own book, not even in the Bible. :roll:
Hoping for a third lap
Winchell Factor
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by Winchell Factor »

sarisson wrote:There was no excuse for Genesis to have been a triple stumper; the Talmud is its own book, not even in the Bible. :roll:
Or books, even. Yeah, that was a really hideous miss, even for Celebrity Jeopardy!
dhkendall
Pursuing the Dream

Post by dhkendall »

sarisson wrote:There was no excuse for Genesis to have been a triple stumper; the Talmud is its own book, not even in the Bible. :roll:
The question was simply "The Torah has five books, this is the first". Someone who doesn't know anything at all about the Bible or the Jewish faith might not know that the Torah is the first five books of the Bible, so guessing something that isn't in the Bible isn't too far off.

(Was a bit disappointed that Penn didn't get in on a single Bible question, it really would have been nice to see someone who debates religion so much could prove that he knows his stuff.)