Think Different 244: Tennis Mania Galore!

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

Lumosityfan
2014 Teen Tournament Champion

Re: Think Different 244: Tennis Mania Galore!

Post by Lumosityfan »

Peachbox wrote:
Bamaman wrote:On the first question, is that someone who has won just one Grand Slam tournament or all four? Either sex? Just singles or does it include doubles?
Was wondering this too...someone who's won any of the big 4 tourneys in the Open Era in any discipline, or someone who's won all four at some point?

Thanks, Lumosityfan!
I'm only looking for people that has won at least one "tourney". Therefore, winning all four at some point is not necessary to be a correct answer.
Jeopardizing questions since 2004!
2014 Jeopardy! Teen Tournament Champion
BobF
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by BobF »

georgespelvin wrote:I'm actually going to try this because I actually have followed pro tennis for many years (it's probably too late to do the 1970s music one). I hope that I do it right.
It could just be me speed reading and missing things, but I don't see a deadline for the 1970s music TD.
Was once hugged by Maggie Speak!
gamawire
Swimming in the Jeopardy! Pool

Post by gamawire »

BobF wrote:
georgespelvin wrote:I'm actually going to try this because I actually have followed pro tennis for many years (it's probably too late to do the 1970s music one). I hope that I do it right.
It could just be me speed reading and missing things, but I don't see a deadline for the 1970s music TD.
It's number 8:

8. Submissions will be due by 12:00PM (noon) PDT on Tuesday, May 19.
"It is better, of course, to know useless things than to know nothing." -- Seneca
mahatma

Post by mahatma »

9021amyers wrote:I've already submitted my answers, but I did some research after I sent them in. I have tell you, Question 8 is really bogus question if that's the way you're interpreting it. There are only seven possible correct answers (1 men's singles, 2 women's singles, 3 men's doubles, 1 women's doubles), and most of them border on the obscurest of the obscure. I'd be surprised if very many people will be able to come up with a right answer as it is currently written.

The more appropriate question would be, "Name a player who reached the number one ranking in either singles or doubles (excluding mixed doubles) without having first won a Grand Slam title in that discipline. That expands the number of possible correct answers to thirteen, and includes players who are more well known to the average person.
Average person? There are no aaaaverage people here! I view myself as more...mediocre. Also, I think that may be more information about the potential answers than you should post while the game's still going on.
Lumosityfan

Post by Lumosityfan »

Bumping to announce that there is still around 4 more days to submit your responses! Still plenty of responses left to guess!
CasketRomance

Post by CasketRomance »

....sorry about that...didn't see there was a link to post the answers
gamawire
Swimming in the Jeopardy! Pool

Post by gamawire »

CasketRomance wrote:....sorry about that...didn't see there was a link to post the answers
Glad you posted this - I didn't notice at all. Answers in (again!).
"It is better, of course, to know useless things than to know nothing." -- Seneca
CasketRomance

Post by CasketRomance »

9021amyers wrote:
Lumosityfan wrote:
9021amyers wrote:On question 5, are we defining a "building" as any free-standing structure, or does it also have to contain an inhabitable interior space? Do structures supported by ground cables, such as television or radio transmission towers, count?

On question 8, do the potential answers take into account only the Grand Slam results in the discipline in which a player achieved a number one ranking? In other words, if a top-ranked singles player won a Grand Slam in doubles, or vice versa, would he or she count as a valid answer?
5. Freestanding.

8. I'm counting answers for each individual discipline. Therefore, in your scenario, the answer would be wrong.
I've already submitted my answers, but I did some research after I sent them in. I have tell you, Question 8 is really bogus question if that's the way you're interpreting it. There are only seven possible correct answers (1 men's singles, 2 women's singles, 3 men's doubles, 1 women's doubles), and most of them border on the obscurest of the obscure. I'd be surprised if very many people will be able to come up with a right answer as it is currently written.

The more appropriate question would be, "Name a player who reached the number one ranking in either singles or doubles (excluding mixed doubles) without having first won a Grand Slam title in that discipline. That expands the number of possible correct answers to thirteen, and includes players who are more well known to the average person.
i don't know them all, but 2 of them are pretty household names to people who follow tennis even just a little bit
Peachbox
Sports Jeopardy! Contestant

Post by Peachbox »

9021amyers wrote:
Peachbox wrote:
Bamaman wrote:On the first question, is that someone who has won just one Grand Slam tournament or all four? Either sex? Just singles or does it include doubles?
Was wondering this too...someone who's won any of the big 4 tourneys in the Open Era in any discipline, or someone who's won all four at some point?

Thanks, Lumosityfan!
The term "Grand Slam" in tennis can refer to all four major tournaments collectively, or to each major tournament individually. This is unlike golf, where the Grand Slam only refers to the former. Generally speaking, if a player is said to have won "a Grand Slam," it means one of the four majors; if a player is said to have won "the Grand Slam," it means all four in the same year. Only three singles players have achieved "the Grand Slam" in the open era, and only eleven have done the Career Grand Slam (winning all four majors over the course of a career). I assume the question means "Grand Slam" as in winning one of the four majors in men's and women's singles; that's already a very wide reference pool, and adding doubles titlists would make the question far too broad to manage the responses.

That said, I didn't write this quiz, and I already have a long list of ambiguities that I'm ready to point out as they arise.
Thanks! I agree on the definitions of Grand Slam (I work in sports media), but the wording's potential ambiguity made me ask for clarification. Should be a fun TD!
Lumosityfan

Post by Lumosityfan »

Just a little more than a day to get your responses in!
Lumosityfan

Post by Lumosityfan »

Half a day away! Oh, by the way, just alerting all you guys out there that I will have to start the reveal a few hours after the scheduled close time; however, that DOES NOT mean that any responses submitted after 12:00 PM will be accepted.
Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Post by Bamaman »

9021amyers wrote:
That said, I didn't write this quiz, and I already have a long list of ambiguities that I'm ready to point out as they arise.
There is a big ambiguity on one other question that I am guessing other sports fans picked up on.
Lumosityfan

Post by Lumosityfan »

And we are finished! Thanks to everyone who participated, and good luck to everyone!

Let's start with the first question:

Let’s start with an easy question: Name a Grand Slam champion starting from the 1968 French Open, when Open Era Tennis began.

You guys actually did very well on this question (to me, kind of surprisingly, to be honest, not knowing the average tennis knowledge of the average JBoardie). so good job!

Correct:

Roger Federer (1):
MarkBarrett

Thomas Johansson (2)(SHEEP):
cf1140
Tigershark

Anastasia Myskina (1):
9021amyers

Gaston Gaudio (1):
georgespelvin

Michael Chang (1):
HostWithTheMost

Virginia Wade (1):
Ryno

Boris Becker (1):
econgator

Tracy Austin (1):
jeffwolfe

Maria Sharapova (1):
colonialrampage

Gabriela Sabatini (1):
Woof

Ana Ivanovic (1):
Caboom

Goran Ivanisevic (2)(SHEEP):
mahatma
amorris525

Michael Stich (1):
CasketRomance

Jennifer Capriati (1):
mennoknight

Martina Navratilova (1):
gamawire

Evonne Goolagong (1):
Bamaman

Gustavo Kuerton (2)(SHEEP):
Peachbox
dott888

Yannick Noah (1):
clprez

Pat Cash (1):
BigDaddyMatty

Steffi Graf (1):
Blue Lion
Lumosityfan

Post by Lumosityfan »

2. In 2014, Rafael Nadal won his 9th French Open title, the most amount by a man of a single tournament. There have only been 8 franchises in the NBA, MLB, NHL, and NFL that have won their respective championships at least 9 times. Name one.

Correct:

Detroit Red Wings (3)(SHEEP):
MarkBarrett
Woof
clprez

TIMEOUT (3)(SHEEP):
cf1140
mahatma
Tigershark

Montreal Canadiens (3)(SHEEP):
9021amyers
colonialrampage
Blue Lion

Toronto Maple Leafs (3)(SHEEP):
georgespelvin
mennoknight
Peachbox

Oakland Athletics (1):
HostWithTheMost

LA Lakers (2):
Ryno
BigDaddyMatty

NY Yankees (3)(SHEEP):
econgator
gamawire
amorris525

St. Louis Cardinals (2):
jeffwolfe
CasketRomance

Green Bay Packers (1):
Bamaman

Boston Celtics (1):
dott888

Incorrect:

Boston Bruins (1):
Caboom
Lumosityfan

Post by Lumosityfan »

3. The premier team competition of men’s tennis is called the Davis Cup. Name a country who has won the Davis Cup at least once.

Correct:

Italy (won in 1976)(1):
MarkBarrett

Croatia (won in 2005)(1):
cf1140

Sweden (won in 1975, 1984, 1985, 1987, 1994, 1997, 1998)(3)(SHEEP):
9021amyers
georgespelvin
mennoknight

France (won in 1927, 1928, 1919, 1930, 1931, 1932, 1991, 1996, 2001)(3)(SHEEP):
HostWithTheMost
colonialrampage
amorris525

United States (won 32 times)(3)(SHEEP):
econgator
jeffwolfe
gamawire

Spain (won in 2000, 2004, 2008, 2009, 2011)(2):
mahatma
Peachbox

Switzerland (won in 2014)(2):
CasketRomance
dott888

Australia (won 28 times)(2):
Bamaman
Blue Lion

Serbia (won in 2010)(2):
clprez
Tigershark

Russia (won in 2002, 2006)(1):
BigDaddyMatty

Incorrect:

Denmark (never have made a Davis Cup Final)(1):
Ryno

Argentina (lost in the final in 1981, 2006, 2008, 2011)(2):
Woof
Caboom

Unused correct answers:
Great Britain
Germany
Czech Republic/Czechoslovakia
South Africa
Lumosityfan

Post by Lumosityfan »

Standings after Question 3:

1st (3): cf1140
T-2nd (4):
mahatma
Bamaman
BigDaddyMatty
Tigershark
T-6th (5):
MarkBarrett
HostWithTheMost
CasketRomance
dott888
T-10th (6):
jeffwolfe
clprez
Blue Lion
T-13th (7):
9021amyers
georgespelvin
econgator
colonialrampage
mennoknight
gamawire
Peachbox
20th (8):
amorris525
21st (11):
Ryno
22nd (12):
Woof
23rd (17):
Caboom
Caboom

Post by Caboom »

Ugh how has Argentina not won the Davis Cup? Had I realized there's only gonna be 23 players, I probably wouldn't have taken a risk with the Bruins. Probably still woulda gone with Argentina though.

Great start, a couple more and I have last place locked up. What's the record for most wrong answers?
9021amyers

Post by 9021amyers »

Caboom wrote:Ugh how has Argentina not won the Davis Cup? Had I realized there's only gonna be 23 players, I probably wouldn't have taken a risk with the Bruins. Probably still woulda gone with Argentina though.

Great start, a couple more and I have last place locked up. What's the record for most wrong answers?
I know I have two wrong answers coming up, so you won't be staying in the cellar for long.
cf1140
Not Jeopardy! Material

Post by cf1140 »

Thomas Johansson was a SHEEP. Knew I should have gone with Albert Costa.
BigDaddyMatty
Hoping not to get pruney this time

Post by BigDaddyMatty »

cf1140 wrote:Thomas Johansson was a SHEEP. Knew I should have gone with Albert Costa.
I really wish the question had been "name a player who won exactly one Grand Slam tournament title." I'll always remember Pat Cash beating Ivan Lendl in the '87 Wimbledon final because of all the "Cash Is Better Than A Czech" headlines it inspired.
Sprinkles are for winners.