Think Different 244: Tennis Mania Galore!

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

Woof
Swimming in the Jeopardy! Pool

Re: Think Different 244: Tennis Mania Galore!

Post by Woof »

cf1140 wrote:{expletive deleted} would have been a singleton for questions 1 & 9. :o
It took me a moment to parse this one, but now that I have: it is borderline offensive as well as employing a racially coded epithet. I'd hope that jboard is a classy enough place not to descend to the level of the Twitterverse.
BobF
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by BobF »

cf1140 wrote:Thugrena would have been a singleton for questions 1 & 9. :o
If she were Scottish, would you have called her Maccarena?
Was once hugged by Maggie Speak!
mennoknight

Post by mennoknight »

Lumosityfan wrote:Incorrect:

Boris Becker (only 49 singles titles and around 15 doubles)(1):
mennoknight
Ahhhh come on
I eat chicken. That's what I do.
mahatma

Post by mahatma »

Lumosityfan wrote:5. The ATP Rankings began in 1973, the same year the Sears Tower finished being built. The Sears Tower stands at 1,730 feet from the ground to the pinnacle. Name a building that has a higher height to the pinnacle than the Sears Tower.

For this question, I used the criteria in this website http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_ta ... C2.A0ft.29 to determine correct answers.
Sorry, late to the party because of the (US-centric) holiday.

I think that based on 'pinnacle height', notwithstanding possible misuse of the term on the cited Wikipedia page, both Petronas and Taipei 101 are correct. However, given that the specific number was given in the question, any quibbles with the use of 'pinnacle' should have come up while the game was going on.

Where do I go to request a refund of my entry fee?
Lumosityfan
2014 Teen Tournament Champion

Post by Lumosityfan »

And now for the results.

In 21st-23rd place, receiving a trophy for the most double faults in a tournaments...

21st (42 points)(won tiebreaker through more correct answers): Peachbox
22nd (42 points): Caboom
23rd (44 points): amorris525

Congratulations!
Jeopardizing questions since 2004!
2014 Jeopardy! Teen Tournament Champion
Caboom

Post by Caboom »

9021amyers wrote:Picked the wrong Bryan twin!
Lumosityfan wrote:8. Name a men’s singles, women’s singles, men’s doubles, or women’s doubles player who has gotten #1 but never won a Grand Slam of any kind (excluding mixed doubles)

Correct:
Dinara Safina (3):
9021amyers
mahatma
CasketRomance
I hate to point this out, but Dinara Safina did win a Grand Slam title in women's doubles at the 2007 U.S. Open. She's the only number-one singles player to win a Slam in doubles, but not singles. According to your own clarification, it's a wrong answer.
Don't worry, your points are safe. This host has a history of ignoring comments about mistakes in the reveal. Might be why his TD's get less participants than most others.
colonialrampage
Valued Contributor

Post by colonialrampage »

Are the rest of the standings coming soon?
Lumosityfan

Post by Lumosityfan »

Caboom wrote:
Lumosityfan wrote:8. Name a men’s singles, women’s singles, men’s doubles, or women’s doubles player who has gotten #1 but never won a Grand Slam of any kind (excluding mixed doubles)

Correct:
Dinara Safina (3):
9021amyers
mahatma
CasketRomance
I hate to point this out, but Dinara Safina did win a Grand Slam title in women's doubles at the 2007 U.S. Open. She's the only number-one singles player to win a Slam in doubles, but not singles. According to your own clarification, it's a wrong answer.
Don't worry, your points are safe. This host has a history of ignoring comments about mistakes in the reveal. Might be why his TD's get less participants than most others.
I actually don't have much of a history of ignoring comments, and in either case, I have school, which is why I don't have time to address those comments. I will say to the comment mentioned above about Dinara Safina that in the category she did get No. 1, women's singles, she did not ever win a Grand Slam tournament, therefore warranting a correct answer. I even mentioned how even if that person had won Grand Slam titles at other disciplines, whether he/she had won Grand Slam tournaments at the discipline he/she gained no. 1 was key to a correct answer.
Lumosityfan

Post by Lumosityfan »

colonialrampage wrote:Are the rest of the standings coming soon?
Unfortunately, I don't really have time to submit the rest of the standings until Thursday, as I have an AP Gov Trip to DC to prepare for. Sorry! (I'm being serious about the sorry, btw. I really don't want to keep you guys waiting.)
mahatma

Post by mahatma »

Caboom wrote:
Correct:
Dinara Safina (3):
9021amyers
mahatma
CasketRomance
Fewer.

Sincerely,
Stannis Baratheon
BigDaddyMatty
Hoping not to get pruney this time

Post by BigDaddyMatty »

mahatma wrote:
Caboom wrote:
Correct:
Dinara Safina (3):
9021amyers
mahatma
CasketRomance
Fewer.

Sincerely,
Stannis Baratheon
Sprinkles are for winners.
Caboom

Post by Caboom »

mahatma wrote:
Caboom wrote:
Correct:
Dinara Safina (3):
9021amyers
mahatma
CasketRomance
Fewer.

Sincerely,
Stannis Baratheon
I could care fewer. ;)
Last edited by Caboom on Thu Jun 04, 2015 10:55 am, edited 1 time in total.
Caboom

Post by Caboom »

Lumosityfan wrote:I actually don't have much of a history of ignoring comments, and in either case, I have school, which is why I don't have time to address those comments.
About the history, sure you do. Here are a couple of examples from TD 201, these were all ignored:
countyguy wrote:I actually got 73 points, because I should have gotten incorrect rather than sheep on #7 when I confused it with #9.
gamawire wrote:
Lumosityfan wrote:41st place (73 points): gamawire (lost tiebreaker to DCrawshawJr due to having fewer correct answers)
Not a game changer, but can you explain this? I did not get any incorrect answers, so I am unclear as to what this means.
Magna wrote:
A drop of golden sun wrote:Still no response to my appeal of the ruling about my responses to the Apostles question and the vice presidents question. :x
This was quite a surprise - I left on Friday waiting for the clarification to the results for questions 6, 7, and 8 to be posted, and came back to find the TD over and results announced, and no clarifications or responses. I understand going back and correcting the scoring errors isn't going to happen now - just something to consider in future TDs.
I'm sorry if this seems harsh, but if you're too busy to address the comments your TD's receive, then perhaps you should consider hosting them at more opportune occasions. I'm sure nobody minds waiting for a while, but being completely ignored and leaving obvious errors in the results isn't acceptable. This was actually the sole reason I skipped one of your earlier TD's or Match games, and I'm sure I'm not the only one.
Lumosityfan wrote:I will say to the comment mentioned above about Dinara Safina that in the category she did get No. 1, women's singles, she did not ever win a Grand Slam tournament, therefore warranting a correct answer. I even mentioned how even if that person had won Grand Slam titles at other disciplines, whether he/she had won Grand Slam tournaments at the discipline he/she gained no. 1 was key to a correct answer.
Lumosityfan wrote:
9021amyers wrote:On question 8, do the potential answers take into account only the Grand Slam results in the discipline in which a player achieved a number one ranking? In other words, if a top-ranked singles player won a Grand Slam in doubles, or vice versa, would he or she count as a valid answer?
8. I'm counting answers for each individual discipline. Therefore, in your scenario, the answer would be wrong.
Ok, so how is 9021amyers' hypothetical answer wrong if the rule is as you stated? Obviously Safina should be accepted though, as your original clarification contradicted itself.
cf1140
Not Jeopardy! Material

Post by cf1140 »

colonialrampage won with 18.

HostWithTheMost came in second with 21.

Bamaman had a late surge and finished third with 22.

I missed the podium and got fourth with 24.
Lumosityfan

Post by Lumosityfan »

cf1140 wrote:colonialrampage won with 18.

HostWithTheMost came in second with 21.

Bamaman had a late surge and finished third with 22.

I missed the podium and got fourth with 24.
Yes, that is correct for the top 4. For the rest of the standings, please look below:

colonialrampage 18
HostWithTheMost 21
Bamaman 22
cf1140 24
dott888 26
Tigershark 26
MarkBarrett 27
Ryno 28
clprez 29
BigDaddyMatty 30
mennoknight 30
Blue Lion 30
jeffwolfe 31
Woof 31
georgespelvin 31
CasketRomance 31
9021amyers 32
mahatma 35
econgator 38
Gamawire 38
Peachbox 42
Caboom 42
amorris525 44

(I didn't break ties (although you guys can do so if you have the time) because I'm a little busy and I didn't want to delay the reveal even longer.)
colonialrampage
Valued Contributor

Post by colonialrampage »

My first win!

I'd like to thank negative integers, the non-alliterative Bryan brother Mike, and our host for a fun TD!