Monday, May 18, 2015 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

Archivists
Fan-created archive of games and players

Monday, May 18, 2015 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

Post by Archivists »

Game Recap for Show #7071, 2015-05-18

CONTESTANTS
Fritz Brantley, a writer originally from Little Rock, Arkansas
Cindy de la Peña, a religious education coordinator from Southborough, Massachusetts
Andrew Haringer, a college instructor from Squamish, British Columbia, Canada (whose 2-day cash winnings total $39,599)

OPENING REMARKS
Alex: Thank you, ladies and gentlemen. Thank you, Johnny. Yeah, that $39,000 and change that Andrew has won so far is U.S. money. And with the exchange rate with Canada right now, Andrew, you're gonna look really good when you go back home. But today, you defend against Cindy and Fritz, and I'm happy to welcome you two to our program. Let's go to work in the Jeopardy! Round, shall we?...

JEOPARDY! ROUND CATEGORIES
TEXAS RISING (5/5) (Alex: Now, because the History Channel, starting next Monday, will be airing a mini-series about Texas independence, the whole category is...)
TV (5/5)
YOU'LL "HANG" ON EVERY WORD (5/5)
FEELING CHARITABLE (5/5)
COMPOSERS (5/5, including 1 correct Daily Double)
HOW SYMBOLIC (3/5)

THE RIGHTS & THE WRONGS
Fritz: 11 R (including 1 rebound), 1 W
Andrew: 10 R (including 1 DD), 0 W
Cindy: 7 R, 2 W

Clues revealed: 30
Triple Stumpers: 2
Jeopardy! Round Potential Lach Trash: $1,600

JEOPARDY! ROUND DAILY DOUBLE
Andrew found the Daily Double on the 4th clue. Andrew had $400, Cindy had $400, and Fritz had nothing in the bank. Andrew wagered $1,000.

COMPOSERS $400: He spent the summer of 1839 at Nohant, George Sand's country house

SCORES AT THE FIRST BREAK
Andrew: $5,600
Cindy: $1,400
Fritz: $1,000

CONTESTANT INTERVIEWS

Alex: Fritz Brantley is a writer, originally from Arkansas, who was originally going to be named Scott.

Fritz: Yes.

Alex: But that got changed. Why?

Fritz: When my sister and my father were in the waiting room as my mom gave birth, my sister was asking my dad, "What do you think you're gonna name my new baby brother?" And he said to her Scott or Ben. And my very self-possessed 5-year-old sister said, "No, if he has to have a stupid name--" or "If I have to have a stupid name, he has to have one, too."

Alex: Well, what's her name?

Fritz: Martha. A perfectly lovely name.

Alex: It is. Yes, indeed. You still have problems with your sister?

Fritz: Nothing I can't solve.

Alex: Okay.

[Laughter]

Alex: Cindy de la Peña from Massachusetts. What's this about your dog and cat being in cahoots?

Cindy: Well, I have a beagle, and he will eat anything--socks, you name it. The cat, my daughter's cat, now jumps up on the counter, knocks the food onto the floor. The dog opens the packages, and they eat together.

[Laughter]

Cindy: So...

Alex: Okay.

Alex: Andrew Haringer is our champion. He's from Canada.

Andrew: Mm-hmm.

Alex: But once got paid to not tutor a child. What's all that about?

Andrew: It's the dream job. So, I was living in New York, and I, uh, applied to tutor, and I was interviewed by this very nice psychiatrist right out of a Woody Allen movie, Upper East Side. And he says, "Andrew, I want you to tutor my son Joseph. But my--my wife is a very difficult woman, so I'd just prefer it if, you know, this stays between us." And I thought, "I don't know your wife." So, he calls me the day before I'm supposed to tutor, says, "Yeah, my wife found out about the tutoring. She's not keen on the idea. But I'm--I'm gonna pay you for your time. Let's try again next week." And this happens week after week after week till we finally agreed this--we probably shouldn't keep doing this.

Alex: You were constantly being paid to not tutor.

Andrew: Yeah, I'm very effective that way, yes.

Alex: Okay. Well, hey, if it works, keep it up.

TRIPLE STUMPERS IN THE JEOPARDY! ROUND
HOW SYMBOLIC $600: A longtime symbol of purity, it's more a symbol of greed in "Heart of Darkness" & in modern ecology

HOW SYMBOLIC $1000: Like laurel, it's a female first name & a symbolic plant, representing love in the bouquets of British royal brides
(Cindy: What is ivy?)
(Fritz: What is lily?)

SCORES AT THE END OF THE JEOPARDY! ROUND
Fritz: $7,000
Andrew: $7,000
Cindy: $400
Archivists
Fan-created archive of games and players

Re: Monday, May 18, 2015 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

Post by Archivists »

DOUBLE JEOPARDY! ROUND CATEGORIES
FOREIGN PRAISEBOOK (3/5)
THE ELEMENTS (2/4, including 1 correct Daily Double)
LITERARY CITIES (3/5, including 1 correct Daily Double)
"R"OCKERS (4/5)
EGG (5/5)
ON YOUR FACE (2/2)

THE RIGHTS & THE WRONGS
Andrew: 10 R (including 1 rebound and 1 DD), 3 W
Fritz: 8 R (including 1 rebound and 1 DD), 3 W
Cindy: 1 R, 1 W

Clues revealed: 26
Triple Stumpers: 7
Double Jeopardy! Round Potential Lach Trash: $10,400

FIRST DOUBLE JEOPARDY! ROUND DAILY DOUBLE
Andrew snagged the next Daily Double on the 7th clue. Andrew had $9,800, Cindy had $400, and Fritz was at $9,400. Andrew wagered $4,000.

LITERARY CITIES $800: L.A.'s corner of Hollywood Blvd. & Cahuenga, where this detective had an office, has been named Raymond Chandler Square

SECOND DOUBLE JEOPARDY! ROUND DAILY DOUBLE
It was Fritz who snatched up the last Daily Double of the game on the 24th clue. Andrew had $12,200, Cindy had $800, and Fritz was at $14,600. Fritz wagered $2,000.

THE ELEMENTS $800: The gold standard in hip replacement isn't gold at all but this super-strong metal name for mythical figures

TRIPLE STUMPERS IN THE DOUBLE JEOPARDY! ROUND
LITERARY CITIES $400: Next time you're in this city, stop by Duke's Bar, where the martinis inspired Ian Fleming to make them 007's drink
(Fritz: What is Monte Carlo?)

LITERARY CITIES $2000: Lawrence Durrell wrote an immense "quartet" of novels set in this African city

FOREIGN PRAISEBOOK $1200: In French a 16th century sultan is called Soliman le this

FOREIGN PRAISEBOOK $2000: In Japanese, it's yoku yatta; in the film "Whiplash" it's called the most harmful 2-word phrase in English

"R"OCKERS $2000: "Talking In Your Sleep" was one of the '80s hits for these guys from Detroit

THE ELEMENTS $1200: (Sarah of the Clue Crew demonstrates with by mixing in a beaker.) When vinegar, hydrogen peroxide, water & table salt are mixed with a starch, a chemical reaction occurs; the solution turns purple, indicating this element was present in the salt
Fritz: What is sodium?
Cindy: What is chlorine?
Andrew: What is oxygen?

THE ELEMENTS $1600: No. 100 on the periodic table is this artificially created element, named for an Italian-born physicist
(Andrew: What is bernoullium?)

SCORES ENTERING FINAL JEOPARDY!
Fritz: $16,600
Andrew: $13,400
Cindy: $800

FINAL JEOPARDY! CATEGORY
ANIMATED MOVIE CHARACTERS

VENUSIAN MONOLOGUES/MARTIAN CHRONICLES
Four-fifths for first place. Shore's Conjecture.
Fritz: Wager $10,201 to cover Andrew, but no more than $14,999 so as not to fall behind Cindy's doubled score. If you're a fan of shoretegic wagering, you might risk $8,601.
Andrew: Since you're within 4/5ths of Fritz's score, you should wager between $6,401 (venusian) and $7,000 (martian), beating Fritz's maximum safe bet of the difference between your scores.
Cindy: Too bad for you, Cindy, your score is less than Fritz's score minus Andrew's score. Unless they both commit an egregious wagering error, you've no hope of moving into first place. Wager as much as you desire, but remember, you'll have better chances of advancing to second place if you have a larger sum left over on a Triple Stumper.

FINAL JEOPARDY! CLUE
Her look was partly inspired by descendant Shirley "Little Dove" Custalow McGowan & by model Christy Turlington

FINAL SCORES
Cindy: $800 + $799 = $1,599 (Who is Pocahontas?) (3rd place)
Andrew: $13,400 - $7,000 = $6,400 (Who is Belle?) (39600-day champion: $6,400)
Fritz: $16,600 - $10,201 = $6,399 (Who is Ariel) (2nd place)
(Alex: [To Fritz] You're gonna lose by a buck.)
[Gasps from the audience]

Total Potential Lach Trash: $12,000

GAME DYNAMICS

CORYAT SCORES
Fritz: $15,400, 19 R (including 1 DD), 4 W
Andrew: $9,600, 20 R (including 2 DDs), 3 W
Cindy: $800, 8 R, 3 W
Combined Coryat: $25,800

BATTING AVERAGES
Andrew: 20/60 = .333
Fritz: 19/59 = .322
Cindy: 9/58 = .155
Team: 48/63 = .762

MISCELLANEOUS INTERESTING CLUES
HOW SYMBOLIC $200: At this event, the monarch receives a scepter to symbolize her power

COMPOSERS $1000: An "L" of a great pianist as well as a composer, he composed the "Liebestraum" or "Love Dream" heard here

TEXAS RISING $200: Susannah Dickinson & her child were among the few survivors at this mission chapel; remember, it was a battle cry

TEXAS RISING $400: Olivier Martinez plays this Mexican general who was first victorious but ultimately defeated in the Texas revolution

TEXAS RISING $600: Texas independence was sealed when 800 men defeated 1,500 Mexicans in this battle; the pronunciation battle goes on

TV $200: Here's a fun project: name this TV personality seen here

TEXAS RISING $800: One of the first acts of the new Texas government was posting this law-enforcement group to defend the frontier

TV $600: The title couple met at an Overeaters Anonymous meeting on this CBS sitcom
(Cindy: [Sighs] Who are...)

TEXAS RISING $1000: Played by Bill Paxton, he went from military hero to political leader as the first president of the new republic

EGG $800: The young of some egg-laying species have this structure at the tip of the beak to break through the shell when hatched
(Fritz: What is a hook?)

EGG $2000: The platypus & the echidna are members of this egg-laying order of mammals
(Andrew: What are marsupials?)
(Alex: That's it, with a minute to go.)

THE ELEMENTS $2000: The Ming Dynasty vase pictured here got its blue color from a glaze made with this element, No. 27

ON YOUR FACE $800: It's clown-white makeup, red lipstick & black eyeliner to look like this type of performer
[The end-of-round signal sounds.]

CORRECT RESPONSES
Chopin
ivory
myrtle
Philip Marlowe
titanium
London
Alexandria
Magnifique
good job
the Romantics
iodine
fermium
Pocahontas
a coronation
(Franz) Liszt
the Alamo
Santa Anna
San Jacinto
Mindy Kaling
the Texas Rangers
Mike & Molly
(Sam) Houston
an egg tooth
monotremes
cobalt
a mime
jeff6286
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by jeff6286 »

Animated Movie Characters
Her look was partly inspired by descendant Shirley "Little Dove" Custalow McGowan & by model Christy Turlington.

Spoiler
Who is Pocahontas? Andrew said Belle; Fritz said Ariel.

Fritz Brantley: $16,600-$10,201=$6,399
Andrew Haringer: $13,400-$7,000=$6,400...now a 3-day champion with $45,999
Cindy De La Pena: $800+$799=$1,599
Last edited by jeff6286 on Mon May 18, 2015 8:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.
floridagator

Post by floridagator »

So Andrew snatches victory from the jaws of defeat because Fritz couldn't come up with Pocahontas as Cindy and I instagot. It had to be an actual person! But the contestants couldn't figure that out.

Here is my question, judges: Would my answer of MASTERWORK have been accepted?
I'd rather cuddle then have sex. If you're into grammar, you'll understand.
opusthepenguin
The Best Darn Penguin on the Whole JBoard

Post by opusthepenguin »

For FJ, I was ready to WAG with Betty Boop. But I just couldn't make sense of the word "descendant." Suddenly it clicked that they weren't looking for the descendant of an animated character but of a historical figure being depicted by that character. After that it was easy.

That DD on Chopin seemed like a real YEKIOYD. Of course Mr. Music knew it. But if you don't know of Chopin's connection with George Sand, there wasn't a lot of TOM to go on.

Kudos to Andrew for a savvy wager. It was perhaps more risky than necessary. Had Fritz made anything less than the shutout bet, Andrew would've been hosed. On the other hand, a cautious wager from Fritz would probably have required a get from Andrew in order to win. So maybe Andrew was shrewdly maximizing his potential winnings in that scenario. It just seems like he left himself vulnerable to a stupid bet from Fritz.

This ending made me regret afresh the no-tie rule. The wagering situation would have been so much more subtle and the potential outcomes more interesting. Fritz would have made a worthy co-champion had things gone that way.

It's ironic that Andrew won the game in part by trying to throw it away. He rang in when he should've clammed on a couple of high value clues, allowing Fritz to catch up a few clues later. Had that not happened, Fritz might have been the one sneaking into the win with a savvy wager. Or maybe he wouldn't have known what to do and Andrew would've won anyway.
NYCScribbler
Harbinger of the Outchange

Post by NYCScribbler »

How was that only a single get?
"Who said anything about a horse?!"

"Also, how the bleep did I forget Russia even exists?!"- TPH
econgator
Let's Go Mets!

Post by econgator »

floridagator wrote:Here is my question, judges: Would my answer of MASTERWORK have been accepted?
They're certainly synonyms, but I'm not sure if they're the same in German.
Abraxas

Post by Abraxas »

Congratulations to Andrew on another win. I had 33 correct responses including 3 triple stumpers: London, The Romantics, and fermium. I also got FJ.
xxaaaxx

Post by xxaaaxx »

'Descendant' + a name like "little dove" (sounds Native American to me) made this a super-instaget. Mildly surprised that it was a single get. I'm guessing Fritz and Andrew either missed the descendant part or were desperate to write something down, and did not really think that Beauty and the Beast or Little Mermaid were based on actual events.
Last edited by xxaaaxx on Mon May 18, 2015 7:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Leander

Post by Leander »

NYCScribbler wrote:How was that only a single get?
Agree. The clue tells you:

It's a real person
A woman
Probably a Native American

Not a lot of possible answers there.
MinnesotaMyron
JBOARDIE OF THE MONTH!

Post by MinnesotaMyron »

Said Liszt instead of Chopin, and Spade instead of Marlowe. This would have been a nightmare board for agressive DD bettor me.
StevenH
Not J! Contestant Material

Post by StevenH »

That was a great shoot out by the two gentlemen! I would have gone for broke on that last DD, in the "Elements" category.

I had no idea on FJ. I also guessed Ariel, and feel lucky to have gotten that close. I definitely was not thinking in terms of characters who actually were real people.
mxc_takeshi

Post by mxc_takeshi »

34 right.

Texas (5), TV (4), "Hang" (5), Char (2), Comp (2), Symbol (1)
Fore (2), Ele (1), Lit (3), "R"ock (4), Egg (3), Face (2)

Lach Trash: "London", "magnifique", "fermium"

The Little Dove and descendant should have made it obvious for me, but I only thought of Cinderella and Elsa.
TenPoundHammer

Post by TenPoundHammer »

WLT Chopin on the Composers DD, "frequent flyer miles" on Charitable for $600, or London on Literary Cities for $400?

Ran "Hang". Precalled not only Hangman, but also that it would use Wheel as the TOM.

So Mindy Kaling, whoever the bleep she is, is $200 "know entirely from her face and no TOM at all" material?!? This doesn't even have the excuse of being a celebrity week where they might actually know that person personally, as was the case with what's-her-face last week.

NHO the other two people named in that TV category, either. Mike & Molly was my only get.

0/5 in Foreign Phrasebook. I could've stared at that German word in Foreign Praise for $400 and never come up with "masterpiece" in a million years. I just don't use that word often enough for it to surface.

NHO The Ramones, too slow on Rage Against the Machine, but got the next two, then NHO again on Romantics.

Elements for $1200 was a giant freakin' trap IMO. After both sodium and chlorine are negged, I let out the biggest "WHAAAAAT?!?!?" because, on top of that being a coin flip to begin with, what the hell else is in salt?!? Anyone else pick either Na or Cl on that one? If so, we may have a poll question.

I have never seen eggs benedict, or even hollandaise sauce, anywhere in my life.

Instaget FJ!
Category 13
Wagering Viking

Post by Category 13 »

TPH wrote: Elements for $1200 was a giant freakin' trap IMO. After both sodium and chlorine are negged, I let out the biggest "WHAAAAAT?!?!?" because, on top of that being a coin flip to begin with, what the hell else is in salt?!? Anyone else pick either Na or Cl on that one?
My take on it was that it was a helluva rigamaroll to find out whether or not salt has iodine added to it.
"Take some of this; then add some of that; add some of this; then stir in some salt"
Geez, I was expecting some kind of volatile foamy fountain to come spewing forth and all we got was some purple slush.
Winchell Factor
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by Winchell Factor »

floridagator wrote:Here is my question, judges: Would my answer of MASTERWORK have been accepted?
Speaking only for myself, of course, I say yes.
NYCScribbler wrote:How was that only a single get?
I say yes to this, too.
Vanya
The support is non-zero

Post by Vanya »

DHicton
ToC, Class of '07

Post by DHicton »

floridagator wrote:So Andrew snatches victory from the jaws of defeat because Fritz couldn't come up with Pocahontas as Cindy and I instagot. It had to be an actual person! But the contestants couldn't figure that out.

Here is my question, judges: Would my answer of MASTERWORK have been accepted?
I said "masterpiece", but I don't see any reason why "masterwork" wouldn't do just as well.

For FJ I said Jessica Rabbit…

Is it just me, or does Andrew have a bit of a Bob Harris air about him?
xxaaaxx

Post by xxaaaxx »

Category 13 wrote: My take on it was that it was a helluva rigamaroll to find out whether or not salt has iodine added to it.
"Take some of this; then add some of that; add some of this; then stir in some salt"
Geez, I was expecting some kind of volatile foamy fountain to come spewing forth and all we got was some purple slush.
Glad it wasn't just me.
teapot37

Post by teapot37 »

DHicton wrote:Is it just me, or does Andrew have a bit of a Bob Harris air about him?
I am seeing Matthew Morrison from Glee.
Not many people can say they've lost four times on Jeopardy!.