Tuesday, May 19, 2015 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

seaborgium
Undefeated in Reruns

Re: Tuesday, May 19, 2015 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

Post by seaborgium »

I only recalled after I got FJ right that there had been a LearnedLeague question about Frankfurt yesterday. I got it because of the Rhine/Main FJ of several years ago, which solidified Frankfurt-am-Main in my mind.
MarkBarrett
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by MarkBarrett »

Andrew is going to have some extra fans tomorrow hopeful to meet him in person in 2016. That was a lot of common core material up for grabs tonight. Did I really hear Chretien for Chirac? I'm sure Andrew would love a re-do on that one.

We missed seeing all of NATO. I'll guess the two unplayed were Lima and Romeo. At least they got to uniform, so I could atone for the umpire mistake I made in a TD game.

Thank you Fox for the 5/5 in SLEEPY HOLLOW as I must have picked up a thing or two watching that silly show.

Last week the double photo FJ! clue did not do anyone any favors. Tonight the Helmsley photo was scary big.

Banking = Zurich was the best I could do on the initial reading of the FJ! clue. The European Central Bank is in Frankfurt? Nope, had no clue. Mainhattan had me spot "Main" as sounding German. I considered Berlin, Munich and Hamburg on a quick German brainstorm and could think of no reason to switch since I did not feel German eliminated Switzerland.

Main to Main River to Frankfurt? Even though that seems to be a 1-2-3 dot-to-dot I do not have that in my coloring book. Nice job by Andrew to make a 9400 Coryat = $26400 and 4th win.

Thank you floridagator: I knew there had to be a reason for COWS to complete J! round categories and had not figured it out before seeing your post.
seaborgium
Undefeated in Reruns

Post by seaborgium »

TenPoundHammer wrote:WLT Carnegie

Scottish-born American industrialist
TenPoundHammer wrote:or Ireland
O'
BigDaddyMatty
Hoping not to get pruney this time

Post by BigDaddyMatty »

Coryat: $32,200
40 R/1 W
DD: 2/3, but I was all about the $5 wager on the Sleepy Hollow one
FJ: :mrgreen:
LT: uniform, November, (Jack Daniel), Argentina, Truth or Consequences, heifer, locoweed, Jacques Chirac, USA
C: Angus, Tagus

Like others, I only got FJ! thanks to Mr. Thorsten A. Integrity. Had I known it yesterday, I'd have beaten MgwheelhouseO.

Can't believe they never negged Andrew on Jack Daniels. Given that he subsequently went all in on both a DD and FJ!, that mistake was worth $8000. Enjoy it, bud.
Sprinkles are for winners.
dhkendall
Pursuing the Dream

Re: LOL - Just LOL

Post by dhkendall »

floridagator wrote: LOL @ AT for not noticing that Charlie Oscar Whiskey Sierra spelled COWS
Or me. (Or MarkBarrett)
floridagator wrote:LOL @ Andrew for his answer of Jean Chretien
From a Canadian, yeah. From an American, I'd almost expect it.
floridagator wrote:LOL @ Liz for thinking the European Central Bank has its headquarters in a country that isn't part of the EU and doesn't use the Euro
To be fair, the League of Nations had its headquarters in a country that wasn't part of the League. Considering its status as a financial hub, I wouldn't say it's that terrible a guess.
TenPoundHammer wrote:Derp moment du jour: "Oh, checkpoint Charlie was on that WALL that ran through BERLIN and formerly divided Germany. What was that WALL called again though?"
TPH has come down with a case of mauer im der kopf.
mfc248 wrote: FJ was basically an instaget; I was almost certain the ECB was based there, but also remembered the city's official name is Frankfurt am Main, distinguishing it from another, far smaller Frankfurt on the German-Polish border.
Whereas for me it was "Mainhattan huh? Oh, like the Main River? That's in Germany, but there are a lot of German cities that I know of, and not too sure what river flows through most of them. Do I know of any on the Main River? Like Frankfurt am Main? ... ... ... "
MarkBarrett wrote: We missed seeing all of NATO. I'll guess the two unplayed were Lima and Romeo. At least they got to uniform, so I could atone for the umpire mistake I made in a TD game.
I have the NATO phonetic alphabet memorized (thank a dad who's a ham radio operator and my (brief) time in the military for that), and it was even the basis of my very first TD, TD26 (of course). (I don't think that was the TD you were referring to, Mark.)
"Jeopardy! is two parts luck and one part luck" - Me

"The way to win on Jeopardy is to be a rabidly curious, information-omnivorous person your entire life." - Ken Jennings

Follow my progress game by game since 2012
Tencent
Contributor

Post by Tencent »

Leander wrote:
Alex meant that Frankfurt is a key airport hub for Americans flying to Europe. My recollection is that it is called the Frankfurt-Main airport.

I didn't know where the ECB was based, but the Main part of the clue gave it to me.
I thought this FJ was not too bad if you know how Germany dominates European Central Banking.

For the record Frankfort has at least two airports. Frankfurt–Hahn is the secondary airport, and a former US. Airbase. I know it well because I
accidentally flew into instead of Frankfurt–Main.
4 time pool swimmer
This Is Kirk!
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by This Is Kirk! »

seaborgium wrote:I only recalled after I got FJ right that there had been a LearnedLeague question about Frankfurt yesterday.
That certainly helped! I'm not sure I would have gotten it right otherwise.
seaborgium
Undefeated in Reruns

Post by seaborgium »

Who else noticed that Todd's surname as displayed was Grabarksy, but it was pronounced Grabarsky in the introduction?
Stanislaus Jacob

Post by Stanislaus Jacob »

There should be no "s" in Jack Daniel. (The company is Jack Daniel's with an apostrophe.)
skullturf
Married to a Jeopardy! Champion

Post by skullturf »

Plactus wrote:Jack Daniels should have been negged. Jasper Newton "Jack" Daniel.

Disappointed we didn't get the other two clues in NATO; that would have been an easy 5/5.

Another Amsterdam here. I think I should stop playing off the Clue of the Day; the pronunciation of "Mainhattan" might have made me think of the river and got me to the right city. Or maybe not.
Yeah, I wouldn't have gotten this FJ if I had just read it, but once I heard Alex pronounce "Main" like the German river, I had it.

The NATO phonetic alphabet is probably one of those things that Jeopardy! contestants should just memorize, like birthstones. I confess that I don't have birthstones memorized, but I do have the NATO alphabet memorized. These contestants obviously didn't -- if you do, then U=uniform and N=November would have been easy.
BigDaddyMatty
Hoping not to get pruney this time

Re: LOL - Just LOL

Post by BigDaddyMatty »

dhkendall wrote:I have the NATO phonetic alphabet memorized (thank a dad who's a ham radio operator and my (brief) time in the military for that), and it was even the basis of my very first TD, TD26 (of course).
It wasn't great career-wise, but there are times I'm thankful for the three years I spent doing customer service for GM.
Sprinkles are for winners.
Vanya
The support is non-zero

Post by Vanya »

TheyCallMeMrKid wrote:
countyguy wrote:
econgator wrote:
thejeopardyfan wrote:I only got today's final because of yesterday's LL match.
Ditto.
Tritto.
Quatro?

Quatto.
No one here knows that another name for Frankfurt is Frankfurt am Main? Or that the German stock exchange is in Frankfurt? Clearly I watch to much PBS.
ElendilPickle
ToC Enabler

Post by ElendilPickle »

Same here.
Johnblue

Post by Johnblue »

Can anyone join learned league?
dhkendall
Pursuing the Dream

Post by dhkendall »

Johnblue wrote:Can anyone join learned league?
Yup, but they have to be referred by an existing member, though, to vouch that they will uphold the two main tenets of Learned League: that they don't cheat, and that they don't forfeit (it is strongly encouraged that you must play every day (that is every day that questions are posted, which are US business days during each season.)
"Jeopardy! is two parts luck and one part luck" - Me

"The way to win on Jeopardy is to be a rabidly curious, information-omnivorous person your entire life." - Ken Jennings

Follow my progress game by game since 2012
GhostStalker
Jeopardy! Contestant

Post by GhostStalker »

Vanya wrote:
TheyCallMeMrKid wrote:
countyguy wrote:
econgator wrote:
Ditto.
Tritto.
Quatro?

Quatto.
No one here knows that another name for Frankfurt is Frankfurt am Main? Or that the German stock exchange is in Frankfurt? Clearly I watch to much PBS.
I knew both those things, via too much time spent on Wikipedia.

Very surprised that Uniform and November were Triple Stumpers, but then again, I know NATO Phonetic by heart due to a year and a half of JROTC back in high school, had me yrlling at the screen... Would've liked to see the other two clues in that category though.

And the General Belgrano one was easy since as was mentioned before, the cruiser the British sank in the Falklands War was named after him, which I learned when I participated in a board game based off of that war on another forum. Chirac was another easy pickup for me.
Onairb

Post by Onairb »

TenPoundHammer wrote:Lach Trash: uniform, Truth or Consequences, heifer.

NHO: Sierra Madre, Birdman.

Derp moment du jour: "Oh, checkpoint Charlie was on that WALL that ran through BERLIN and formerly divided Germany. What was that WALL called again though?"

I thought "oak" was incredibly tough for $200 in Whiskey. (Did anyone else know that?) Jack Daniels was by far the easiest in that category and should've been $200 IMO.

I should've known Monongahela = PA because of "Gonna Take a Lot of River" by the Oak Ridge Boys, but it temporarily evaporated from my mind.

NHO any of the titles in Entertainment Adverbs.

I thought The Old Man and the Sea was undervalued at $400.

WLT Carnegie or Ireland at $400?

No guess on FJ! NHO the Main River so "Mainhattan" was meaningless to me. Frankfurt is popular for Americans?!?
Technically, the response 'Jack Daniels' should have been negged, because the guy's name was 'Jack Daniel'. But the whiskey has been around so long, people have mostly forgotten that its name is in the possessive form.
thejeopardyfan
(Unranked)

Post by thejeopardyfan »

seaborgium wrote:Who else noticed that Todd's surname as displayed was Grabarksy, but it was pronounced Grabarsky in the introduction?
I did. Probably because I had to look at his name 80 times when looking for him for a Hangout.
goatman
Man Who Stares At Goats!

Post by goatman »

Instaget FJ, having lived in Frankfurt and strolled along the Main River many a lovely evening. "Frankfurt am Main" literally = "Frankfurt on Main" like "Stratford on Avon", see?

Win from the 4th with 48R and 11 LT, including a run on 'Cows':
LT: uniform, November, Argentina, Truth or Consequences, heifer, locoweed, Hereford, Jacques Chirac, USA, Old Man & the Sea, Monotremes
C: Angus, Tagus, PA, S Africa.
No get on Tarrytown Cemetery, grrrr!

LOL @ "Monongahela Valley in New York"! poor thing...
Really need to know the NATO phonetic alphabet, as a pilot in my former life it is second nature. Bravo for talking 'bout Golf on the radio with Moonbase Alpha! Fly Delta, Charlie! Is there an Echo in here, Narcissus? NO it's AT doing the Foxtrot on the roof! Get a deep discount on your Hotel in India from Travelocity, Mike! Oscar-Meyer weenies and Lima beans are so unromantic, Romeo, hey Juliet, go tell Poppa on the Sierra mountains you wanna be my lover! Never drink Whiskey when you fly, Victor! You will end up Tango-Uniform, in the Yankee outfield with Shaka Zulu! (Army guy talk; T-U = Ti** Up!)

NATO words that are dances: Foxtrot, Tango.
NATO words that are proper names: Charlie, Echo, India, Juliet, Lima, Mike, Oscar, Quebec, Romeo, Yankee, Zulu.
The corridors of my mind are plastered with 3M Post-It notes!
Robert K S
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by Robert K S »

Onairb wrote:Technically, the response 'Jack Daniels' should have been negged
At first I thought the question was carefully worded in such a way as to make either the name of the man or the name of the product acceptable, but nope, it was "this man's career". Unless "Jack Daniel's" is a "career," I agree, it probably would have been neggable.