TD 245: Barbie

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

Tigershark
Jeopardy! Champion

TD 245: Barbie

Post by Tigershark »

I thought it would be fun to kick of summer with a TD quiz all about Barbie. Don't worry, knowledge of Barbie is not required to answer any of the main questions, but I did throw in a few bonus questions identifying specific Barbies. Barbie was a fun theme that connected a bunch of questions covering different subject areas. All of the questions have been inspired by Barbie's adult collectible line. Even though Barbie knowledge is not required for any questions, it will be a huge help on the first question.

Rules:

1. Like other TDs the purpose is to come up with the least popular answer. Correct answers are equal to the number of people who gave that answer, including yourself. As always, lowest score wins.
2. You may DROP one question. Entries that do not use this option will receive a minus five (-5) bonus.
3. You may select SHEEP for one question, in which you will receive a score equal to the great of the highest scoring correct answer (SHEEP) for that question or the number of people who selected the SHEEP option.
4. Incorrect responses are equal to the SHEEP (or the number of people selecting the SHEEP option, if higher) score plus 5.
5. On questions 1, 3, 4, 8, 9, and 11, you MUST include the letter that corresponds to your answer choice.
6. Send the answers in a PM. Do not post answers in this thread.
7. Ties will be broken in the following order: 1. number of correct responses; 2. Score before the bonus; 3. Number of singletons.
8. No outside research. Answers must come your knowledge.
9. Deadline for entries is Monday June 1 at 5 p.m. PT.
Tigershark
Jeopardy! Champion

TD 245: Barbie: The Questions

Post by Tigershark »

1. Since Barbie is all about fashion, what better way to begin a Barbie quiz with a question about fashion. Over the years, many famous designers and high end fashion brands have created special limited edition Barbie dolls. Below are twelve dolls that have been designed by a famous designer or brand. Identify the one of the designers or brands who created the Barbie picture. Because I did state that knowledge of Barbie dolls was not required to answer any of the questions, I have included a photo of a famous gown or signature accessory designed by the same designer.

A-D
Spoiler
E-H
Spoiler
I-L
Spoiler
2. One of the most popular series is the Dolls of the World series. In the early 2000's, the Dolls of the World were inspired by historical princesses of various countries, such as this doll, the Princess of the Portuguese Empire:

Name a country or special administrative region where Portuguese is an official language or in the alternative, name a state in India that was colonized by the Portuguese.

3. Another doll in the Princesses of the World series is the Princess of the Pacific Islands:

The Pacific Islands are divided in the three main regions, Polynesia, Melanesia, and Micronesia. Below are twelve flags from Polynesian islands or islands groups, some of which are sovereign nations, some of which are part of other nations. Match one of the flags shown below to their corresponding island or islands group:
Spoiler
Bonus (-1): Identify the Polynesian Royal Palace pictured below: (You do not need to get Question 3 correct to be eligible for the bonus.)

4. Barbie also introduced dolls inspired by famous landmarks, like this one inspired by the Eiffel Tower in Paris:

Identify one of the other Parisian landmarks shown below:

A-G
Spoiler
H-L
Spoiler
5. This Barbie was inspired by Queen Elizabeth I:

Queen Elizabeth I was the daughter of Queen Anne Boleyn. She succeeded her half-sister Mary I to the throne. Name a queen of England or Great Britain after 1066 (either a monarch or queen consort) named Anne, Elizabeth, or Mary other than Elizabeth I, Mary I, or Anne Boleyn. Obviously, this answer has to be specific enough that I know which queen you are referring. Simply saying "Queen Anne" will be counted as a wrong answer. Note: I'm looking for someone who was actually queen. Wives of kings that died before their husband's coronation, even if they were the mother of a future monarch, are incorrect answers.

6. This Barbie was part of a series inspired by collegiate cheerleaders:

She is a cheerleader for Louisiana State University. LSU's team nickname is the Tigers. Name another school in NCAA Division I whose team nickname is the Tigers.

7. Barbie introduced a series of dolls inspired by the TV show "Dancing with the Stars:"

Name a celebrity that has won "Dancing with the Stars." For a one point bonus, name their professional dance partner. (You must answer Question 7 correctly to receive the bonus.)

8. This Barbie is called Haunted Beauty Vampire Barbie:

Name the one of the books and/or TV shows and/or movies where one can find the following fictional vampires:

A. Aidan Waite
B. Barnabas Collins
C. Caroline Forbes
D. Count Orlok
E. Count von Count
F. Darla
G. Deacon Frost
H. Eli*
I. Eric Northman
J. Henry Sturges
K. Louis de Pointe du Lac
L. Lucy Westerna

*There is a vampire in the movie Blade II named Eli Damaskinos. That is not the Eli, I'm asking about. This refers to a different Eli without a given last name.

9. This lovely set was inspired by King Arthur and Queen Guinevere:

9. Name the source of one of the following interpretations of the Arthurian Legend:
For A-H, name the author of the work
A. Avalon High
B. A Connecticut Yankee in King Arthur’s Court
C. The Crystal Cave
D. Historia Regum Britanniae
E. Idylls of the King
F. The Mists of Avalon
G. Le Morte D’Arthur
H. Once and Future King
For I, name the composer/lyricist team that wrote the musical (Last names only are fine, but I need both names)
I. Camelot
For J name the composer of the Opera
J. Tristan und Isolde
For K name the director of the film:
K. Excalibur
For L name the artist of the painting shown:

10. These dolls were part of a series called "Ladies of the 80's." The were inspired by Cyndi Lauper, Debbie Harry, and Joan Jett respectively:

Name a single by Cyndi Lauper, Blondie, or Joan Jett that was a top 10 single on the Billboard Hot 100 chart.

11. A popular theme in the collectible Barbie line is movies. Pictured below are twelve dolls inspired by movies or television. Name the actress that played the role that inspired one of the following dolls. Note: two of the dolls are inspired by classic TV shows. I'm looking for the actress who originated the role on the TV show, not the actress that played the role in the movie inspired by the TV show.
Spoiler
12. A movie that inspired several Barbie dolls is "Gone with the Wind." Here are two of them:

Fairly simple question- Name an actor credited in the film of Gone with the Wind.

13. Here are two more dolls inspired by movies:

They are, of course, Maria from "The Sound of Music" and Eliza Doolittle from "My Fair Lady." Did you really think I would get through this entire quiz without a musicals question? Name a song in the film version of "The Sound of Music" or "My Fair Lady." For clarification, I'm looking for a song that was in the original theatrical release of either film. Songs that were in the stage show, but were not included in the movie are wrong answers.

Two follow up bonus questions for minus one (-1) each (You do not have to answer question 13 correct to get either bonus):
Name the two songs in the Sound of Music film that were not in the original Broadway production.
One person associated with both films is Marni Nixon, who played "Sister Sophia in The Sound of Music." What was her role in "My Fair Lady"?

Bonus: Identify the name of these classic Barbie dolls. Minus one (-1) point for each correct answer for a maximum of minus three (-3):

1. Image
2. Image
3. Image
Last edited by Tigershark on Sun May 24, 2015 4:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Tigershark
Jeopardy! Champion

Re: TD 245: Barbie

Post by Tigershark »

List of participants.

ElendilPickle
MarkBarret
9021amyers
gamawire
econgator
Big Daddy Matty
Peachbox
Benkins
patkav
Vanya
Ryno
Lampy
brick
tjconn728
colonialrampage
Magna
TheyCallMeMrKid
ouachiouat
BlueLion
dott888
dnbguy
jjwaymee
goatman
PowerofHoodoo
RandyG
Bamaman
Peggles
barandall800
mennoknight
Leander
goforthetie
Last edited by Tigershark on Mon Jun 01, 2015 2:33 pm, edited 4 times in total.
Tigershark
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by Tigershark »

On question 6, the school must play in Division I for most sports. The school does not necessarily need to play FBS football to be a correct answer. Schools that have one sport in Division I, but play in Division III for everything else are incorrect. If it makes it easier, if the school plays men's basketball in DI, it is a correct answer.
Last edited by Tigershark on Mon May 25, 2015 3:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.
9021amyers
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by 9021amyers »

Good God, and I thought I was doing badly at '70s songs.

Clarification for question 6: all Division I schools, or only schools that sponsor football in the Bowl subdivision?
BigDaddyMatty
Hoping not to get pruney this time

Post by BigDaddyMatty »

9021amyers wrote:Good God, and I thought I was doing badly at '70s songs.

Clarification for question 6: all Division I schools, or only schools that sponsor football in the Bowl subdivision?
More to the point, Division I in which sport?
Sprinkles are for winners.
Tigershark
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by Tigershark »

BigDaddyMatty wrote:
9021amyers wrote: Clarification for question 6: all Division I schools, or only schools that sponsor football in the Bowl subdivision?
More to the point, Division I in which sport?
For the first question, all Division I schools. For the second question, I probably should have clarified that. I specifically wanted schools that play in DI for a majority of sports. There is one school nicknamed the Tigers that plays DI for one sport and DIII for everything else, and I intended for that to be a wrong answer. But if I need to get specific, I'll say DI for men's basketball, since I'm 95% sure that all of the schools that I intended to be correct answers have a men's basketball team.
CasketRomance

Post by CasketRomance »

i don't see a link to the form to submit answers
CasketRomance

Post by CasketRomance »

CasketRomance wrote:i don't see a link to the form to submit answers
nm...i see one must pm the answers
Magna
Hooked on Jeopardy

Post by Magna »

For question 11, the photos for choice F and L are cut off on the right. Could you post a link?
9021amyers

Post by 9021amyers »

Magna wrote:For question 11, the photos for choice F and L are cut off on the right. Could you post a link?
Just right-click and select "view image." Then you should see the full image un-cropped by the spoiler window.
Tigershark
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by Tigershark »

Magna wrote:For question 11, the photos for choice F and L are cut off on the right. Could you post a link?
Here's the link.
Tigershark
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by Tigershark »

Bump!

So, Barbie's middle name is Millicent, huh. I do remember hearing that at one point in time.

Please, Please don't forget to include the letter of the answer choice on questions 1, 3, 4, 8, 9, and 11. Right now, I'm PMing entries that forget to do this, but I've had to PM about half the entries I've gotten so far, and if I keep having to do so, I may stop PMing and just mark them wrong for not following directions.

Also, please read the questions carefully, particularly question 5.
teapot37

Post by teapot37 »

Tigershark wrote:So, Barbie's middle name is Millicent, huh. I do remember hearing that at one point in time.
Barbara Millicent Roberts is her full name. The sad thing is, I knew that already.
Not many people can say they've lost four times on Jeopardy!.
Tigershark
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by Tigershark »

Bump!
goatman
Man Who Stares At Goats!

Post by goatman »

teapot37 wrote:
Tigershark wrote:So, Barbie's middle name is Millicent, huh. I do remember hearing that at one point in time.
Barbara Millicent Roberts is her full name. The sad thing is, I knew that already.
LOL yes I also so nerdy to know that! Middle name is for Aunt Millicent who has a boutique en Paris in Barbie fashion movie; while in the Barbie mermaid tale we learn her uncle's name "Roberts' is only surviving paternal relative.

Tiger, I wonder how you reckon we should identify Queen Anne, other than "Queen Anne"?! Did she have another appellation?! ROFL
The corridors of my mind are plastered with 3M Post-It notes!
9021amyers

Post by 9021amyers »

goatman wrote:
teapot37 wrote: Tiger, I wonder how you reckon we should identify Queen Anne, other than "Queen Anne"?! Did she have another appellation?! ROFL
Plenty of Queen Annes once you factor in all the consorts, although I am curious to see how lenient the judging will be for that questions.
Tigershark
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by Tigershark »

goatman wrote:Tiger, I wonder how you reckon we should identify Queen Anne, other than "Queen Anne"?! Did she have another appellation?! ROFL
For that question there are 12 possible answers- 5 Annes, 4 Elizabeths, and 3 Marys. Either first and last name or Anne/Mary/Elizabeth of Blank is acceptable. However, there is one queen who has the same first and last name as another significant historical figure in British history, and that's the one name I'm being picky on. Anything that would distinguish the one I'm looking for from the other, such as naming her husband or father or even what century she lived during, is fine. I'll send a PM if it's not specific enough. I'm being fairly lenient on this question. I've had a couple of entries that have said something along the line of Queen Anne who was married to King blah, blah, blah. So long as the king was actually married to someone of that name, it's fine.
Tigershark
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by Tigershark »

Six and a half hours left. 30 entries so far. There are singletons available on every question.
Tigershark
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by Tigershark »

I am extending the deadline until 9 P.M. PT. I'm not going to start the reveal until then.