Friday, May 29, 2015 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, dhkendall, trainman, econgator

Archivists
Fan-created archive of games and players

Friday, May 29, 2015 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

Post by Archivists » Fri May 29, 2015 11:30 am

Game Recap for Show #7080, 2015-05-29

Dan Feitel game 4.

CONTESTANTS
Andrew Lasken, a royalties manager from Studio City, California
Autumn Swinford, a major in the U.S. Marine Corps originally from Fredericktown, Missouri
Dan Feitel, an attorney originally from Gillette, New Jersey (whose 3-day cash winnings total $85,598)

OPENING REMARKS
Alex: Thanks, Johnny. Thanks you, ladies and gentlemen. Dan Feitel, our champion, has recognized something very important about being a contestant on Jeopardy! And that is, until the game is over, it's not your money. You're playing with house money. So, he goes into the Final, and if it's a reasonably close game, he's gonna bet everything but $1. Autumn and Andrew, be warned. Let's go to work in the Jeopardy! Round. Here are the categories for the three of you...

JEOPARDY! ROUND CATEGORIES
EX-MEMBERS OF THE BAND (5/5)
TOOL TALK (3/5)
HISTORY (4/5, including 1 missed Daily Double)
WORLD CAPITAL"IA" (5/5) (Alex: I don't know how to pronounce that, but each correct response will contain an "I" and an "A".)
PULL UP A CHAIR (3/3)
IT'S TIME TO EAT (3/4)

THE RIGHTS & THE WRONGS
Dan: 12 R (including 2 rebounds), 2 W (including 1 DD)
Autumn: 5 R, 1 W
Andrew: 6 R, 2 W

Clues revealed: 27
Triple Stumpers: 3
Jeopardy! Round Potential Lach Trash: $1,800

JEOPARDY! ROUND DAILY DOUBLE
Dan found the Daily Double on the 4th clue. Dan had $600, Autumn was scoreless, and Andrew was at $200. Dan wagered $1,000.

HISTORY $600: In 1950 & then again in 1951, this capital city fell to invading forces who were evicted each time by U.N. troops
(Dan: What is Sarajevo?)

SCORES AT THE FIRST BREAK
Andrew: $2,400
Dan: $2,200
Autumn: $1,000

CONTESTANT INTERVIEWS

Alex: Last week on the program, we had a contestant who admitted to proposing to the woman he was dating in a pizza parlor, and with sauce saying, "Will you marry me?" on the pizza. Now, Andrew Lasken, you proposed to your bride in a completely different setting.

Andrew: Yeah, I proposed in a cemetery.

Alex: Oh, of course. So romantic.

Andrew: [Chuckling] It is romantic. Well, my wife, Kaitlyn's, mother and grandmother had passed away, and so I knew they weren't gonna be part of the ceremony, so I wanted to make sure they can be part of the proposal.

Alex: Good for you. That was a very sentimental moment.

Andrew: I thought so.

Alex: And it worked?

Andrew: Yeah--yeah, it worked.

[Laughter]

Alex: Okay.

Andrew: I recommend it.

Alex: [Chuckling] You recommend it? Okay, good.

Alex: Semper fi, Autumn. Autumn Swinford is a major in the U.S. Marines. I have visited Machu Picchu on a couple of occasions. You have been there.

Autumn: I have.

Alex: But you did it differently.

Autumn: A little bit.

Alex: You hiked to Machu Picchu.

Autumn: I did.

Alex: Oh, gosh. I got tired, and I took the train and a bus. Geez.

Autumn: Eh, we took a bus, and we took a train sometimes--mostly on foot.

Alex: Okay.

Alex: Dan Feitel is our champion. Now, we're talking about romantic moments a few moments ago. I understand that you got involved with a young lady because of a mistaken wink.

Dan: Yeah, to my eternal embarrassment, I was at a bar, and I caught the eye of an attractive young lady. And in the light, it seemed as though she had winked at me, and I thought, "That's kind of weird, but, you know, I should just go with it. But if I'm wrong, I'm gonna look like a fool." And so I decided to wink back, and she burst out laughing and just asked, "Did you just wink at me? What is wrong with you?"

[Chuckles]

Dan: But you know, it worked out well, because it turned out that we started talking, and we had a lot in common, and so we've been dating for almost five years, so...

Alex: That cemetery...

[Laughter]

Alex: Good place.

TRIPLE STUMPERS IN THE JEOPARDY! ROUND
TOOL TALK $200: In computer-speak, 404 is this "not found"
(Andrew: What is web page?)

TOOL TALK $800: To swindle someone, perhaps out of the same-named wedgelike tool
(Dan: What is screw?)
[Audience laughter]

IT'S TIME TO EAT $800: Also known as a turtle bean, this dried bean forms the base for a soup popular in Cuba

SCORES AT THE END OF THE JEOPARDY! ROUND
Dan: $5,600
Andrew: $2,800
Autumn: $1,800

Archivists
Fan-created archive of games and players

Re: Friday, May 29, 2015 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

Post by Archivists » Fri May 29, 2015 11:30 am

DOUBLE JEOPARDY! ROUND CATEGORIES
MR. SMITH (2/5, including 1 missed Daily Double) (Alex: ...a tribute, if you will, to the most common U.S. surname...)
NATIVE AMERICAN TRIBES (5/5, including 1 correct Daily Double)
TV MOVIES (4/5)
GRAINS (3/4)
BEOWULF (5/5)
"YM", NO C-A (5/5)

THE RIGHTS & THE WRONGS
Dan: 10 R (including 2 rebounds), 2 W (including 1 DD)
Autumn: 7 R (including 1 rebound), 1 W
Andrew: 7 R (including 1 DD), 3 W

Clues revealed: 29
Triple Stumpers: 4
Double Jeopardy! Round Potential Lach Trash: $6,800

FIRST DOUBLE JEOPARDY! ROUND DAILY DOUBLE
Dan snagged the next Daily Double on the 11th clue. Dan had $8,800, Autumn had $4,200, and Andrew was at $2,400. Dan wagered $4,000.

MR. SMITH $800: John Stafford Smith composed "To Anacreon In Heaven", later used as the tune for this song
(Dan: Uh... what is, uh... "Oh! Susanna"?)

SECOND DOUBLE JEOPARDY! ROUND DAILY DOUBLE
It was Andrew who snatched up the last Daily Double of the game on the 28th clue. Dan had $9,200, Autumn had $5,400, and Andrew was at $8,800. Andrew wagered $400.

NATIVE AMERICAN TRIBES $1600: Historically, the Mojave were known as the Pipa Aha Macav, "people by the river"--this river

TRIPLE STUMPERS IN THE DOUBLE JEOPARDY! ROUND
TV MOVIES $1600: In "Death of a Centerfold", Jamie Lee Curtis played this starry-eyed Canadian teenager who became a Playboy Playmate
(Dan: Who is Pamela Anderson?)

GRAINS $1600: In the 1950s pollen grains of this were discovered in Mexico City & estimated to be 60,000 years old

MR. SMITH $1600: William Smith, a Weymouth, Massachusetts minister, was this First Lady's father
(Autumn: Who is Martha Washington?)

MR. SMITH $2000: When he launched FedEx in 1973, it delivered 186 packages the first night; now it handles more than 10 mil. a day

SCORES ENTERING FINAL JEOPARDY!
Dan: $11,200
Andrew: $7,200
Autumn: $5,400

FINAL JEOPARDY! CATEGORY
COLLEGES & UNIVERSITIES

VENUSIAN MONOLOGUES/MARTIAN CHRONICLES
Crush for first place.
Dan: Wager $3,201 to cover Andrew.
Andrew: You have the hope of surpassing Dan if you come up with the correct response. Bet at least $4,001 to force Dan to wager to win while also protecting your position from being usurped by Autumn.
Autumn: Your only hope of a win is that you're the only one to give a correct response, so bet $5,398 or so, leaving a few bucks behind in case someone wagers it all.

FINAL JEOPARDY! CLUE
Mens et manus, "mind and hand", is the motto of this university whose alumni include I.M. Pei, Amar Bose & Richard Feynman

FINAL SCORES
Autumn: $5,400 - $5,400 = $0 (What is NYU) (3rd place)
Andrew: $7,200 - $4,001 = $3,199 (What is Cal Tech?) (2nd place)
Dan: $11,200 + $3,201 = $14,401 (What is Stanfor MIT) (85599-day champion: $14,401)

Total Potential Lach Trash: $8,600

GAME DYNAMICS

CORYAT SCORES
Dan: $16,200, 22 R, 4 W (including 2 DDs)
Andrew: $8,400, 13 R (including 1 DD), 5 W
Autumn: $5,400, 12 R, 2 W
Combined Coryat: $30,000

BATTING AVERAGES
Dan: 23/60 = .383
Andrew: 13/59 = .220
Autumn: 12/58 = .207
Team: 48/63 = .762

MISCELLANEOUS INTERESTING CLUES
EX-MEMBERS OF THE BAND $600: This multi-instrumentalist quit the Rolling Stones shortly before his 1969 death

PULL UP A CHAIR $200: Designed by Frank Gehry in the 1970s, the wiggle chair was made from this common material
(Andrew: What is wood?)

PULL UP A CHAIR $400: French for "long chair", it's a seat long enough to support its user's legs
(Autumn: What is a chaise? Longue?)
[Autumn pronounced the first word as "chayze" (with a hard "ch") and the second as "lounge"]

TOOL TALK $1000: To force with a violent twist; you don't want to do it to your back
(Autumn: What is torque?)

MR. SMITH $400: Sgt. Paul Ray Smith posthumously received the Medal of Honor in 2005, the first for actions in this war
(Andrew: What is the Gulf War?)

"YM", NO C-A $1200: Seen here, at 9,570 feet, it's Greece's highest mountain

"YM", NO C-A $2000: It's a figure of speech like "cruel kindness" or, as some soldiers say, "military intelligence"
(Andrew: What is a euphemism?)

NATIVE AMERICAN TRIBES $800: (Jimmy of the Clue Crew shows a map on the monitor.) When established in 1851, the reservation for this Native American tribe covered much of present-day South Dakota; it shrank in 1868, & then again in 1889, the year of both Dakotas' statehood
(Alex: Less than a minute now.)

NATIVE AMERICAN TRIBES $2000: From the Latin for "hard", it's wheat used chiefly in making pasta
(Andrew: What is semolina?)

CORRECT RESPONSES
Seoul
file
chisel
black bean
"The Star Spangled Banner"
the Colorado (River)
Dorothy Stratten
corn (maize)
Abigail Adams
Frederick Smith
MIT
Brian Jones
cardboard
chaise longue
wrench
the Second (Persian) Gulf War
Olympus
an oxymoron
the Sioux
durum

jeff6286
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by jeff6286 » Fri May 29, 2015 3:23 pm

Colleges & Universities
Mens et Manus, "Mind and Hand", is the motto of this university whose alumni include I.M. Pei, Amar Bose & Richard Feynman.

SpoilerShow
What is M.I.T.? Autumn said NYU; Andrew said Cal Tech.

Dan Feitel: $11,200+$3,201=$14,401...now a 4-day champion with $99,999
Andrew Lasken: $7,200-$4,001=$3,199
Autumn Swinford: $5,400-$5,400=$0
Last edited by jeff6286 on Sat May 30, 2015 3:13 am, edited 1 time in total.

floridagator

Post by floridagator » Fri May 29, 2015 5:17 pm

The contestant was screwed on that 404 question. Because 404 means "not found," and only in the context of trying to locate a web page. It does not mean file not found. One will never get a 404 error running on one's own computer.

I got the TS Dorothy Stratton, and also the missed DD "The Star Spangled Banner." FJ was an instaget for me.
I'd rather cuddle then have sex. If you're into grammar, you'll understand.

Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Post by Bamaman » Fri May 29, 2015 7:05 pm

For the Second Gulf War, I said Iraq War. Judges? (The guy was killed in Iraq).

I got FJ as a guess, but it prevents me from checking the box of shame tomorrow, so I'll take it.

Keith won't need to drink during the FJ wagers, but he may need one for the antepenultimate wager.

TenPoundHammer
Otters are meant to swim

Post by TenPoundHammer » Fri May 29, 2015 7:27 pm

WLT cardboard on Chair for $200? Or "rice" or "London" at $400?

"404 'this' not found"? But that's everything in the term! I can't find a way to put a tool in that!

All but Brian Jones (NHO) in Ex Members.

Lach Trash: "The Star Spangled Banner".

I don't even know what Beowulf is, so I had that down as an instant 0/5.

Oddly, "oxymoron" was my only get in YM. Could've gotten all but "haymaker", but I was having brainfart after brainfart. Do they make Bean-O for the brain?

No guess on FJ! Saw no way to narrow this down unless you're super obsessive and know the alma mater of everyone who ever lived.
Ten Pound Hammer

This space for rent

econgator
Let's Go Mets!

Post by econgator » Fri May 29, 2015 7:33 pm

floridagator wrote:The contestant was screwed on that 404 question. Because 404 means "not found," and only in the context of trying to locate a web page. It does not mean file not found. One will never get a 404 error running on one's own computer.
Yeah, I don't get that one at all
I got the TS Dorothy Stratton
Stratten, actually.

USC for FJ guess. Had no clue, obviously.

econgator
Let's Go Mets!

Post by econgator » Fri May 29, 2015 7:34 pm

TenPoundHammer wrote:WLT cardboard on Chair for $200?
I'm gonna go with the fact that they showed you cardboard?

Abraxas

Post by Abraxas » Fri May 29, 2015 7:37 pm

Congratulations to Dan on another win! I had 43 correct responses including four triple stumpers: file, chisel, Dorothy Stratten (an answer in a recent TD), and corn. I also got the missed DD of The Star-Spangled Banner. Instaget FJ, since I knew that Pei and Feynman both graduated from MIT.

ACW

Post by ACW » Fri May 29, 2015 7:51 pm

Bamaman wrote:For the Second Gulf War, I said Iraq War. Judges? (The guy was killed in Iraq).
Probably not allowed.

9021amyers

Post by 9021amyers » Fri May 29, 2015 7:58 pm

It's unusual that a contestant would introduce herself as a major in the Marine Corps, yet not appear in her dress uniform.

I wonder what the judges would have ruled for "crank" on the $1000 Tools clue.

StevenH
Not J! Contestant Material

Post by StevenH » Fri May 29, 2015 8:00 pm

I liked the clues that came up in this game, but it felt like there was a lot of variation in difficulty between the categories.

It was awesome to see a clue that mentioned Bill Berry, the former drummer for REM. I used to see him at the Publix that I worked at when I was going to UGA.

I had no idea on FJ, and really had no idea how to approach the clue. For some reason I thought that Richard Feynman went to the University of Chicago, so I went with that.

NoName84

Post by NoName84 » Fri May 29, 2015 8:01 pm

econgator wrote:
floridagator wrote:The contestant was screwed on that 404 question. Because 404 means "not found," and only in the context of trying to locate a web page. It does not mean file not found. One will never get a 404 error running on one's own computer.
Yeah, I don't get that one at all.
The category seemed to require that the response also be a tool of some kind.

goforthetie
(username no longer operative)

Post by goforthetie » Fri May 29, 2015 8:06 pm

They listed an architect, a sound engineer, and a physicist, which means they're going for science and technical trades (Mind + Hand). It's not the most transparent FJ clue but you definitely can see where the writers were going with it.

If you know where the Bose Corporation is headquartered, or have read Feynman's "autobiography", that also helps.

econgator
Let's Go Mets!

Post by econgator » Fri May 29, 2015 8:15 pm

NoName84 wrote:
econgator wrote:
Yeah, I don't get that one at all.
I got that part, but not how they could associate a 404 with a file.

Category 13
Wagering Viking

Post by Category 13 » Fri May 29, 2015 8:23 pm

Curses, I wanted Autumn to ring in and get the last clue so Dan and Andrew would be tied @ $9200, with Autumn at $7400.
Then they'd have to figure out whether to cover Autumn by a buck or go for broke. That would have been interesting to see if Dan would risk all 9200 or do his standard 9199.
I was very disappointed at Autumn's FJ wager. I doubt it would have been any different in the above scenario, outside of throwing the extra $2000 on the table.

Ran the Tools and Missing Band Member categories.

Category 13
Wagering Viking

Post by Category 13 » Fri May 29, 2015 8:30 pm

econgator wrote:
NoName84 wrote:
I got that part, but not how they could associate a 404 with a file.
The number 404 didn't mean much to me but the first thing that popped into my head was "file not found".

9021amyers

Post by 9021amyers » Fri May 29, 2015 8:31 pm

goforthetie wrote:They listed an architect, a sound engineer, and a physicist, which means they're going for science and technical trades (Mind + Hand). It's not the most transparent FJ clue but you definitely can see where the writers were going with it.

If you know where the Bose Corporation is headquartered, or have read Feynman's "autobiography", that also helps.
Yeah, the motto should tell you right away that the answer was founded as an engineering school. From there, you winnow down the prestigious tech universities (Texas A&M and Virginia Tech were ROTC schools well into the 20th century; IIT and the Cooper Union are too obscure to be answers), until you may end up with Caltech, Georgia Tech, and MIT as reasonable guesses. Or, you could know it right away if you're familiar with those three alumni; I knew that MIT's endowment controls a large chunk of Bose Corporation stock.

nlw44
Swimming in the Jeopardy! Pool

Post by nlw44 » Fri May 29, 2015 8:32 pm

ACW wrote:
Bamaman wrote:For the Second Gulf War, I said Iraq War. Judges? (The guy was killed in Iraq).
Probably not allowed.
I disagree, FWIW. I've generally heard of "The Gulf War" (1990-1991) and "The Iraq War" (2001-2011). If they really wanted SECOND Gulf War, I think the "Gulf War" alone deserved a BMS, but the impression I got was that Second Gulf War was not the writers' first choice of answer.
"And has thou slain the Jabberwock?
Come to my arms, my beamish boy!
O frabjous day! Callooh! Callay!"
He chortled in his joy.

Lewis Carroll, "Jabberwocky"

dhkendall
Pursuing the Dream

Post by dhkendall » Fri May 29, 2015 8:38 pm

nlw44 wrote:
ACW wrote:
Probably not allowed.
I disagree, FWIW. I've generally heard of "The Gulf War" (1990-1991) and "The Iraq War" (2001-2011). If they really wanted SECOND Gulf War, I think the "Gulf War" alone deserved a BMS, but the impression I got was that Second Gulf War was not the writers' first choice of answer.
I'm wondering the same as Bamaman, so I'd like some more feedback from others as well.
"Jeopardy! is two parts luck and one part luck" - Me

"The way to win on Jeopardy is to be a rabidly curious, information-omnivorous person your entire life." - Ken Jennings